Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

Man, I came into this thread with hope, but none of this stuff does it for me. I have tried every show ticked off above and they’re either dull or just not my thing. Peaky Blinders maybe but last season was kinda weak.  
I may cancel Netflix.  I can only watch Caddyshack so many times. 
Go back to CSPAN

3 hours ago, EE2B said:

I just finished The Chef Show. Really enjoyed it and thought it was really well done. The last two episodes of the series were done with Aaron Franklin, which were pretty interesting. I never saw the movie, so I’m going to go back and watch it.

really want them to get a second season, it is a great/easy concept and i like the chemistry that Roy Choi and Favreau have together. 

5 hours ago, NoName said:

really want them to get a second season, it is a great/easy concept and i like the chemistry that Roy Choi and Favreau have together. 

I’m the only person who feels like the celebrity guests are just grudgingly fulfilling some contractual obligation?  Like they are counting the minutes. 

Just now, Liquor and Poker said:

That was good, but I watched it a year ago or so it seems like. 

And on Mindhunter, I prefer my "cop" shows more like Justified, or even Banshee.  Less like Ken Burns and PBS.

Have you tried Broadchurch, The Night Manager, or Sherlock?  Those are all excellent and I think still available on Netflix.

Just now, DDD Dad said:

Have you tried Broadchurch, The Night Manager, or Sherlock?  Those are all excellent and I think still available on Netflix.

Seen all three, unfortunately.  All definitely worth watching. 

That's kind of my point - all the recent Netflix stuff seems to be a step down from the older stuff - especially the older stuff they recycled from elsewhere.  Even this season of Seinfeld's show was kinda weak.

I find myself watching Jackie Brown, Layer Cake and the American and wondering why I pay $17/mo all in for that.  Certainly not for the Perfection, Triple Frontier or the Otherhood.

But thanks for the help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Seen all three, unfortunately.  All definitely worth watching. 

That's kind of my point - all the recent Netflix stuff seems to be a step down from the older stuff - especially the older stuff they recycled from elsewhere.  Even this season of Seinfeld's show was kinda weak.

I find myself watching Jackie Brown, Layer Cake and the American and wondering why I pay $17/mo all in for that.  Certainly not for the Perfection, Triple Frontier or the Otherhood.

But thanks for the help.

We're currently working our way through Fleabag (I know Amazon Prime not Netflix), and while it's very different from the prior suggestions it's pretty entertaining.  If you have access to BBC America you might check out Killing Eve, which is pretty good too (and has its own thread here).  Season 1 might be on Netflix (but I haven't checked TBH).

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

"Derry Girls" - Set in the 90s in Derry, Ireland.  Pretty funny, some of the accents can be hard to follow but is a good show.

I finished the second season last night. The episode where Erin's mom cursed Bridie was my favorite. 

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

are there any david fincher movies that you like? what about aaron sorkin? just curious.

All of them that I can think of - Seven, Fight Club, Benjamin Button, Social Network, Moneyball.  Liked Studio60. Even kinda liked Newsroom.

Mindhunter feels like one of those re-enactment documentaries.  I keep waiting for the little side narration from some professor in front of a green screen.

“The Family” - New five episode docuseries dropped today. Based on the book of the same name, it focuses on “The Family” or “The Fellowship”. The group behind the annual National Prayer Breakfast. A very behind the scenes organization that has the mission of “Bringing Christians to leadership and bringing leaders to Christ”.

I’ve been waiting for ages for this and I just finished all the episodes. Very well done. Also very scary.

watching The Imitation Game right now. netflix says this movie received 8 Oscar nominations, including a win for best adapted screenplay. i'm about 2/3 of the way through it is completely unremarkable. it reminds me of pretty much every hollywood movie i ever see. it's bland, it's predictable, and it eschews realism for that patented hollywood feel that i hate so much. i just don't understand what people see in these movies. 

also the female lead's wig is so obviously a wig that i can't stop noticing it. 

oh, and this benedict cumberbatch guy is pretty hard to take. like he's doing a hugh grant impression in every scene. 

Cumberbatch blows...now all the superhero fans will come nerd on me

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

designated survivor - i enjoyed all 3 seasons 

I did too, but that season 3 threw me for a loop when they started saying fuck and had gay man sex that was kind of graphic. I hadn't realized ABC cancelled it and Netflix took it over for a season.