Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On a whim, my 16 yo son and I I started watching King's Avatar.  I figured he might enjoy it.  And I was right.  It's silly, unrealistic, English subtitled with overdramatic acting, and often quite confusing in keeping track of all the characters.  It centers on a world of young people who have no responsibilities or concerns in life other than competing in a professional esports (ie. video game) league.  There has been enough humor in it to keep our attention.  We're just over half way though season 1.  That's ~23 one hour episodes out of 40.  What will the Chinese think of next?

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea I was worried after a few ppl said it sucked but I still enjoyed and I fucking love Delilah

Spoiler

The acid trip episode just slayed me. Whoever wrote that has definitely been through it. 

Forty annoyed me at first but his loyalty to Joe really helped him grow on me a bit. He is funny as fuck when he's losing his shit. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Watched Don’t Fuck with Cats today.

Couple of questions:

1. Who tipped them off to his name early on?
2. Who was the second set of hands in the last cat video?

He did.  He faked a profile and gave out his real name.

I don't think anyone knows.

17 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Watched Don’t Fuck with Cats today.

Couple of questions:

1. Who tipped them off to his name early on?

they intentionally didn't make this super clear - it was almost as if they wanted the facebook stalker/sleuths to get more of the credit.  but the entire operation was saved by someone simply telling them who to look for.  the message (i believe) came from a random woman.  then, later on in the show, when they talked about how he had a bunch of socks/fake social media accts, they listed them, and the woman's name was on the list.

so assuming all else is accurate, he tipped them off himself.  which makes sense all things considered.

someone said upthread that the facebook detectives were pretty pointless, and i agree.  they didn't do much.  i love the idea of crowdsourcing (like sicking the shaggy/surly mafia on someone) but it's typically more like this show.  a bunch of noise and rabble-rousing, which is amusing to watch, but often does more harm than good.

to me, the biggest "holy shit" moment of the series, was the fact that they saw someone hurting animals, and said "we need to find out who this is, because this is the type of person who eventually murders someone."  and then he murdered someone.  and taped it.  i did not see that coming.

i don't know the answer to #2.

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

they intentionally didn't make this super clear - it was almost as if they wanted the facebook stalker/sleuths to get more of the credit.  but the entire operation was saved by someone simply telling them who to look for.  the message (i believe) came from a random woman.  then, later on in the show, when they talked about how he had a bunch of socks/fake social media accts, they listed them, and the woman's name was on the list.

so assuming all else is accurate, he tipped them off himself.  which makes sense all things considered.

someone said upthread that the facebook detectives were pretty pointless, and i agree.  they didn't do much.  i love the idea of crowdsourcing (like sicking the shaggy/surly mafia on someone) but it's typically more like this show.  a bunch of noise and rabble-rousing, which is amusing to watch, but often does more harm than good.

to me, the biggest "holy shit" moment of the series, was the fact that they saw someone hurting animals, and said "we need to find out who this is, because this is the type of person who eventually murders someone."  and then he murdered someone.  and taped it.  i did not see that coming.

When I was watching it, I kept thinking about the Big Bang episode when Amy tells Sheldon that Indiana Jones was an unnecessary character In Raiders of the Lost Ark because the movie would’ve turned out the same whether he was involved or not. Same thing with these “amateur sleuths”.

They did a good job of piecing inconsequential things together like the Manny Lopez “Basic Instinct” thing and the pedestrian light color in Montreal but he was such a fucking idiot that he was going to get caught regardless.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

I really liked Messiah. I do put some weight on RT's and other reviews, just because there's so much shit on TV now, so I went in with somewhat low expectations. There were a few dumb parts with the writing, but it pretty much grabbed me from end of the 1st episode all the way through. 

Yeah I binged cats last night and it was very well done.  I can't believe I was completely oblivious to that story.  I came away with the same conclusion that the internet mob basically did nothing.  Until they were given the name they basically narrowed it down to North America, and that's about it.  I was let down given that most I read/heard about the doc was that they solved the case.  Their frustration at police also seemed misguided as the Toronto PD sent officers to the condo they pinpointed, but he had moved on, and after the murder the Montreal PD had a shit ton of evidence and his ID so it was only a matter of time.

Question.  I must have gotten up to pee, but did the facebook group provide the video of the murder to the police?

On 1/8/2020 at 6:19 PM, henrygandorf said:

There seems to be large amount of killers who hurt animals before they switched to people. Ted Bundy, Jefferey Dahmer, Son of Sam, all admitted to hurting animals. More recently the douche bag who shot up the high school in Florida had posted online about killing animals in a ridiculous way.

On 1/9/2020 at 9:34 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah I binged cats last night and it was very well done.  I can't believe I was completely oblivious to that story.  I came away with the same conclusion that the internet mob basically did nothing.  Until they were given the name they basically narrowed it down to North America, and that's about it.  I was let down given that most I read/heard about the doc was that they solved the case.  Their frustration at police also seemed misguided as the Toronto PD sent officers to the condo they pinpointed, but he had moved on, and after the murder the Montreal PD had a shit ton of evidence and his ID so it was only a matter of time.

Question.  I must have gotten up to pee, but did the facebook group provide the video of the murder to the police?

I think one of the main complaints by the Facebook group was they heard nothing from the police after they sent over the information. I remember hearing one of the cops had gone on vacation and nobody checked his email or something goofy like that. I think they did send over the video because they waited and heard nothing until it popped up on the news and their Google alerts.

I don't know how or why i clicked on the documentary Cheer but i'm glad i did.  It got misty learning about some of the stories.  Surprisingly, i found it very worth my time.  
You clicked on it for same reason anyone else is going to....spank material. But it threw you a curveball and you ended up sobbing like a bitch on your couch
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Scraps said:
8 hours ago, RollLeft said:
I don't know how or why i clicked on the documentary Cheer but i'm glad i did.  It got misty learning about some of the stories.  Surprisingly, i found it very worth my time.  

You clicked on it for same reason anyone else is going to....spank material. But it threw you a curveball and you ended up sobbing like a bitch on your couch

And that's fair.  

• Like 1

I sadly clicked on the dumbest show in history...”the circle”. If you know anyone that hates social media or I guess youth as a whole, tie them down and put this on. They will melt. Must say that is does have some big brother pull to it that makes you wonder why you are watching with how dumb it is. People being catfish, being way too nice/fake, only talking through messaging... just to win 100k. What the year 2020 will go down in history as. Beware if you watch, you will hate it or hate yourself that you keep watching. 

• Like 1

Working through Living With Your Self. Not bad, kinda like one long Black Mirror. Paul Rudd is always great and I like the actress who plays his wife.

Something has to be up with the spa workers. I’m guessing the daughter is a clone, maybe they are gay, dunno. The unicorn from e1 has to pay off.

On 12/27/2019 at 2:25 AM, deech said:

Don't Fuck with Cats is fucking insane.

On 12/27/2019 at 2:36 AM, RPM said:

Yeah, no shit. About halfway through and can't believe I never heard about this.

Was unaware of this documentary but heard the Hardline discussing it on the way home from the office the other night. My wife and I are through two of the three parts. Very well done. I remember hearing about the body parts getting mailed to the Canadian political parties but not much else. Fascinated by the internet sleuths that helped peg who he was though they probably would never have gotten there without somebody simply pinging them with the message that the guy they were looking for was Luka Magnotta. The Montreal chick detective doesn't seem overly sharp.

The fact that none of us ever heard of it makes it that much more ridiculous that the nerds had to preach to the audience at the end. “You know that story that you never heard of and we got paid to remind you about? Yeah, YOU are the problem.”

Otherwise it was great.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The fact that none of us ever heard of it makes it that much more ridiculous that the nerds had to preach to the audience at the end. “You know that story that you never heard of and we got paid to remind you about? Yeah, YOU are the problem.”

Otherwise it was great.

That bitch was hella annoying

• Like 1

The Aaron hernandez thing is OK, I never really paid attention to it when it was happening, so most of it was new information to me. The voice over/interviews can get pretty boring and repetitive though. Not really one of the better made doc series. 

Shayanna’s sister should’ve slapped the bright out of her eyes. Not only did she not lose custody of Avielle, she rutted around and had another kid with a wop-wannabe. I hope she dies penniless with Aaron’s conviction reinstated. 

My fuck, CT/MA seems greasy. White trash, black trash, coconut trash and some male machismo is a fucked up combo.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano

1 hour ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Shayanna’s sister should’ve slapped the bright out of her eyes. Not only did she not lose custody of Avielle, she rutted around and had another kid with a wop-wannabe. I hope she dies penniless with Aaron’s conviction reinstated. 

My fuck, CT/MA seems greasy. White trash, black trash, coconut trash and some male machismo is a fucked up combo.

Username half checks out

• Like 2

Damn it.

It’s been five months since Season 2 of Mindhunter launched on Netflix. Over that time, there has been no movement on part of the streamer regarding a potential third season of the David Fincher crime thriller drama. Last month, Netflix let the options of the cast, led by stars Holt McCallany and Jonathan Groff, lapse, further raising the possibility that we may have seen the last of Mindhunter. 

https://deadline.com/2020/01/mindhunter-future-in-limbo-season-3-canceled-renewed-netflix-series-cast-options-expire-1202831897/

• Like 1

Surprised there's not much talk about the jewels of cheating info being dropped in the Hernandez doc.  I guess we just expect it these days?  Lots of banned substances and direct mentions.  Dude casually threw Wisconsin out there. That why they always have a strong run game?

On 1/11/2020 at 11:57 PM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I sadly clicked on the dumbest show in history...”the circle”. If you know anyone that hates social media or I guess youth as a whole, tie them down and put this on. They will melt. Must say that is does have some big brother pull to it that makes you wonder why you are watching with how dumb it is. People being catfish, being way too nice/fake, only talking through messaging... just to win 100k. What the year 2020 will go down in history as. Beware if you watch, you will hate it or hate yourself that you keep watching. 

My wife and I watched the first episode and are debating if we want to continue. It's almost so bad you have to keep watching. I love BB but I have never wanted to punch the entire cast of BB in the face like I do with The circle.