Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 1/17/2020 at 6:51 PM, TonyTexas said:

I’m just getting started and am really enjoying it. For those who might hesitate, it is done by the Last Chance U people and has a similar feel. It follows Corsicana’s Navarro Junior College cheer team  They are competitively dominant nationally even against bigger, 4 year universities. This is something you can watch with your wife, girlfriend or daughter  Also, the head coach is very milfy  

Hmm, may have to check this out. Lived there for a couple of years working construction. That's a tiny college and really has to suck going there. I've seen bigger high schools. On the other hand Corsicana has an HEB and the local talent isn't bad.

I liked Cheer a lot. It had Last Chance U production quality. It was interesting that they didn't create any real villains as they did with the juco football show, but that's fine. Lots of interesting personalities.

Was also fascinated that the org that runs the NCA championships wouldn't allow Netflix access to the event (which the entire season was building to). They still got amazing footage, mostly from people's phone cams.

Oh, and SNL did a nice sketch on it. "OK, y'all this is simple...the tiny girls fly through the air and the gay guys catch em"

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Hmm, may have to check this out. Lived there for a couple of years working construction. That's a tiny college and really has to suck going there. I've seen bigger high schools. On the other hand Corsicana has an HEB and the local talent isn't bad.

You were there for the fruitcakes?

I liked Cheer a lot. It had Last Chance U production quality. It was interesting that they didn't create any real villains as they did with the juco football show, but that's fine. Lots of interesting personalities.
Was also fascinated that the org that runs the NCA championships wouldn't allow Netflix access to the event (which the entire season was building to). They still got amazing footage, mostly from people's phone cams.
Oh, and SNL did a nice sketch on it. "OK, y'all this is simple...the tiny girls fly through the air and the gay guys catch em"

I guess I just don’t understand how a straight, grown man could find a doc about grade-school cheerleading interesting...

55 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I guess I just don’t understand how a straight, grown man could find a doc about grade-school cheerleading interesting...

My wife loves Last Chance U but can't sit through a whole football game.  Cheer shows an interesting world with interesting people that most knew nothing about until watching the doc.  Also, it's not grade school, it's college cheerleading, and it's a pretty crazy sport.

14 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Didn’t know it was college but other than looking at possibly some hotties. How can the subject matter be interesting? Well if you guys enjoy it then it’s all good

Just started it. It’s a peek into a world I know nothing about. That’s all. I find it odd that there’s one single competition all year. I find it odd that Navarro and trinity valley can somehow have cheer teams that offer scholarships, draw talent from all over the country, and compete at the highest level of the sport. 

Another element brought over from Last Chance U is sending crews to the hometowns of some of the athletes to talk with their family, friends, etc. It really shows you the odds that must be overcome just to get onto a juco campus. Then they have to compete and keep their grades in order as well.

Some of them seem to already have massive social media followings. I could see them becoming annoying reality celebrities in the next few years.

I watched the first episode.  My familiarity with JuCos is limited to Dallas County Community Colleges and peripherally ACC.  I don't know what I thought Navarro and other small town JuCos were about, but they definitely have a more residential and community feel than the big city commuter schools.

I just binge watched it with daughter and wife (my daughter had been in competitive cheer for several years before taking a break).  I really liked the series, the backstories made the show, big props to the director.  I really don't want my daughter back in competitive cheer...  

On 1/20/2020 at 11:40 PM, Goredho said:

Just finished Don’t Fuck With Cats and I’m like

49-B4918-B-8292-4985-B7-E2-D2-C4-FCF2377

Seriously though.  I past by that docu for weeks with no interest due to its terrible title.  I really thought it had something to do with cats, so i was like meh no thanks.  Damn, never heard of the dude and that story.  What a sicko.  I now wonder what his Shaggy handle was? 

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Seriously though.  I past by that docu for weeks with no interest due to its terrible title.  I really thought it had something to do with cats, so i was like meh no thanks.  Damn, never heard of the dude and that story.  What a sicko.  I now wonder what his Shaggy handle was? 

Probably @Rocko still posting from Canadian prison.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:29 AM, BurntEyes said:

Messiah - There were a lot of points where my suspension of disbelief were pushed way over the edge and too much bullshit PC things. I got through, but the ending pissed me off even more. 

Too much bullshit. Avoid is my recommendation

Yep.  That's where it lost me.  Stopped after a couple of episodes.

39 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Spoiler and for some reason can not insert tag.

Was it the mutliple cliched every Texan is a red neck Bible basher moron or the guy who claimed to be from California, living in Austin while wearing a Spurs hat that got to you? Or both Tacos? Maybe it was a Texan allowing a stranger from the middle East to take his shotgun and kill his injured dog in "mercy" in front of the Texans son, cause that seemed likely

/No cr

Sadly.  I didn't even make it that far.  

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Haha 1

What bullshit pc things? Having arabs that aren't terrorists? None of burnt eyes complaints were pc so I'm confused. 

There were a lot of silly things in that series, but the caravan taking i-35w through Arkansas is what bugged me the most. 

Edited by seven

21 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Greatest Events of WWII in Color is a pretty good high level chronicle of WW2 with some interesting color footage. We are incredibly fortunate to have lived in such peaceful times.

There is an earlier series from the same people just called "WWII in Color" that is good too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Anyone watch the Ragnarok show?  Looks interesting but it’s Scandinavian with subtitles so I’d prefer to know if it’s typical teen angst or more like Sabrina before I put time into it. 

I watched two episodes last night.  I'm liking it so far.  I think it's dubbed in English.  There are some subtitles when they are looking at written things (signs, notes, etc.), but the dialogue was in English.

The protagonist is a teenager, and there is some high school relationship stuff so far, but it's not what I would characterize as "typical teen angst" plot driven show.  I don't know if you peeps saw the Australian tv show The Almighty Johnsons (was on Netflix a while back, not sure if it's still available) about the Norse gods living in the modern day (was quite entertaining), but Ragnarok so far seems like a cross between that and The Lost Boys (movie about family that moves into a town and ends up battling supernatural critters [vampires in this case] that live there).

The Pharmacist :  New documentary about a ST. Bernard's Parish pharmacist who attempts to find his son's killer in a drug deal gone bad and then takes on a pill mill Dr. in the early 2000s growing opioid crisis.

Moves slowly at first but picks up steam.  Only 4 or 5 episodes.  Really inspiring all the hard work dad put in to finding the killer and then following up on his convictions.

Hits close to home because my oldest lives in NO.  We actually stayed at an Air B&B in the lower 9th Ward a couple of years ago mere 4 blocks from where his son was killed(1995)

• Like 1

The Man that Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot.

I didn't have high expectations but come on, you can do something fun with that concept.  Sam Elliott spends the entire movie moping around all sad because he killed Hitler 50 years ago.  Then he's hired to kill Bigfoot and kills him 2 seconds after arriving in the Canadian wilderness.  He then mopes around for another 30 minutes before he finally finds where the Bigfoot ran off to die.  Plus, Bigfoot is about 5'2" and looks like a regarded inbred chimp.

5 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I'm trying to watch, but I really want UK Ernie to die and stay off the screen.

uk-ernie.jpg
ernie.jpg

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

I really like almost all the characters, except hers. I'm just kind of done with that line of the story. 

I think more like a female Humpty Hump, or pediatric scottie pippen. 

• Haha 1

Finished BoJack Horseman.
I'm absolutely certain I've never been as moved by a cartoon and not sure I've related more to characters in any work, ever.
Granted, like the primary character I've had my struggles with booze in the past, so that might have had a very large effect. The ending was so subtle, yet powerful. I teared up. I don't do that often for any reason, much less a cartoon. There are many other ways in which I relate to the various character and their story arcs were wonderful.
It's in my heart forever. I'm better for having seen it, and I don't really care if anyone thinks less of me for feeling that way, but have to admit that I hope some agree.

Just watched the first episode... does it do the cheap family guy style cut in scenes/flashbacks the entire series?

13 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

The Pharmacist :  New documentary about a ST. Bernard's Parish pharmacist who attempts to find his son's killer in a drug deal gone bad and then takes on a pill mill Dr. in the early 2000s growing opioid crisis.

Moves slowly at first but picks up steam.  Only 4 or 5 episodes.  Really inspiring all the hard work dad put in to finding the killer and then following up on his convictions.

Hits close to home because my oldest lives in NO.  We actually stayed at an Air B&B in the lower 9th Ward a couple of years ago mere 4 blocks from where his son was killed(1995)

That guy is crazy as a shithouse rat.  In a sort of benign way, but crazy nevertheless.

As religious as he seems to be, at least invoking God and praying all the time, one might think he'd have found some peace.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:17 AM, Chips O'Toole said:

My wife loves Last Chance U but can't sit through a whole football game.  Cheer shows an interesting world with interesting people that most knew nothing about until watching the doc.  Also, it's not grade school, it's college cheerleading, and it's a pretty crazy sport.

saw about 20 minutes and fell asleep.  But the part where the cheerleader says that cheerleading saved her life because if she didn't have this she'd probably be in jail made me laugh.  Navarro is only two years so she's still got plenty of time to get locked up.  And she never says what she would be doing to get there--hooking for meth?  What can a person who looks less than 100 pounds do to end up in jail?   

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That guy is crazy as a shithouse rat.  In a sort of benign way, but crazy nevertheless.

As religious as he seems to be, at least invoking God and praying all the time, one might think he'd have found some peace.

He struck me as a pretty smart guy who just tended to stick with things until he got really good at them (pharmacy, fixing old cars, investigative work etc.)  For an apparently staunch catholic (Saw a crucifix and really, what else could he be growing up in St.Bernard's parish) growing up in a conservative blue collar community and a Louisiana education, he seemed to be a pretty free thinker for family vacations and adapting the available technology, despite never getting out of NO, marrying and staying married to his high school sweetheart, and living in the same house all of his adult life.

I also admired his humility in just doing the hard work of recording his conversations with himself and with God.  From his conversations and prayer, he also seemed to never just "expect a miracle" or something, he just talked himself through difficult times and ultimately found his answers through searching and good legwork.

I guess I found him appropriately crazy given the fact that he lost a son and is from Louisiana. 

13 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

He struck me as a pretty smart guy who just tended to stick with things until he got really good at them (pharmacy, fixing old cars, investigative work etc.)  For an apparently staunch catholic (Saw a crucifix and really, what else could he be growing up in St.Bernard's parish) growing up in a conservative blue collar community and a Louisiana education, he seemed to be a pretty free thinker for family vacations and adapting the available technology, despite never getting out of NO, marrying and staying married to his high school sweetheart, and living in the same house all of his adult life.

I also admired his humility in just doing the hard work of recording his conversations with himself and with God.  From his conversations and prayer, he also seemed to never just "expect a miracle" or something, he just talked himself through difficult times and ultimately found his answers through searching and good legwork.

I guess I found him appropriately crazy given the fact that he lost a son and is from Louisiana. 

Well, that's what I meant by in a benign way.  Seems like a standup guy generally, but pretty crazy.