Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

39 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

saw about 20 minutes and fell asleep.  But the part where the cheerleader says that cheerleading saved her life because if she didn't have this she'd probably be in jail made me laugh.  Navarro is only two years so she's still got plenty of time to get locked up.  And she never says what she would be doing to get there--hooking for meth?  What can a person who looks less than 100 pounds do to end up in jail?   

Since you apparently aren't going to watch:

Spoiler

She gets kicked off the team for MJ possession and goes back to Houston and just becomes a rave party idiot.  You also learn that she's probably bipolar and/or borderline personality disorder because she's been in a ton of pretty serious fights with injuries, both to her and her opponents.  Agg assault stuff.

You can actually fuck up your life pretty good by being a drug-addled aimless idiot with anger issues.

Edited by TwiceHorn

49 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Since you apparently aren't going to watch:

Hide contents

She gets kicked off the team for MJ possession and goes back to Houston and just becomes a rave party idiot.  You also learn that she's probably bipolar and/or borderline personality disorder because she's been in a ton of pretty serious fights with injuries, both to her and her opponents.  Agg assault stuff.

You can actually fuck up your life pretty good by being a drug-addled aimless idiot with anger issues.

Whoa--life comes at you fast.  Cheerleading gave her structure and goals and now she has to set them on her own.  Also parenting or some kind of mentor.  My teacher wife was told in a staff meeting that an ever increasing number of students are special ed.  Pretty soon, a third of the population and growing will be in this group.  That's eye opening and she's in Fairfax, VA.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:07 AM, Mdhorn said:

saw about 20 minutes and fell asleep.  But the part where the cheerleader says that cheerleading saved her life because if she didn't have this she'd probably be in jail made me laugh.  Navarro is only two years so she's still got plenty of time to get locked up.  And she never says what she would be doing to get there--hooking for meth?  What can a person who looks less than 100 pounds do to end up in jail?   

You haven't met MFCDG.

• Like 1

The Pharmacist. Pretty much had to watch it since I am one. Thought it was a great story but damn I kind of got creeped out at how he recorded EVERYTHING. Even the emotional moments with his wife. That really bothered me. One thing I'll say is that the portrayal of the DEA as taking goddamn forever to act is dead on accurate. I have a similar story in helping to bust a pill mill and the DEA was always dragging their feet. They didn't even talk to us until a year after the doc got busted by the medical board and that was only because of an undercover news story. He tried acting like a good ole boy but he totally knew what he was doing. But that's a story for another day. Anyway, I give it 4/5. Well worth the watch if you're in the industry.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

The Pharmacist. Pretty much had to watch it since I am one. Thought it was a great story but damn I kind of got creeped out at how he recorded EVERYTHING. Even the emotional moments with his wife. That really bothered me. One thing I'll say is that the portrayal of the DEA as taking goddamn forever to act is dead on accurate. I have a similar story in helping to bust a pill mill and the DEA was always dragging their feet. They didn't even talk to us until a year after the doc got busted by the medical board and that was only because of an undercover news story. He tried acting like a good ole boy but he totally knew what he was doing. But that's a story for another day. Anyway, I give it 4/5. Well worth the watch if you're in the industry.

Not to defend the DEA, but the part where the US Attorney wouldn't take the case without some medical authority behind it rang true.

Part of that is just being a sound trial lawyer (having a jury second-guess a doctor is srs business) and part of that is being front-running assholes (won't take it unless it's a slam dunk).

So you’re a narc?

Watched all of “the stranger”, even though it amazes me how hard it is to sometimes understand British people, this show was solid-best way to put it. Won’t ever want to watch it again but you won’t be mad you spent time on it. Definitely has an outsider vibe to it, hell its basically the outsider minus the paranormal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Watched all of “the stranger”, even though it amazes me how hard it is to sometimes understand British people, this show was solid-best way to put it. Won’t ever want to watch it again but you won’t be mad you spent time on it. Definitely has an outsider vibe to it, hell its basically the outsider minus the paranormal.

That's a good way to sum it up. Thought the same. 

2 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

If you have read any Harlem Corbin you would recognize the style immediately. Great one time reads. 

On 2/6/2020 at 1:27 PM, Mez2 said:

just finished sex education, man there's a lot going on this season. really cool how they dove into secondary characters and gave more backstory on them.

fuck you isaac 

Season 3 has been confirmed.  Hopefully it is a whodunit on who pushes Isaac in his wheelchair off a cliff. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 7:02 PM, BurntEyes said:

Finished BoJack Horseman.

I'm absolutely certain I've never been as moved by a cartoon and not sure I've related more to characters in any work, ever.

Granted, like the primary character I've had my struggles with booze in the past, so that might have had a very large effect. The ending was so subtle, yet powerful. I teared up. I don't do that often for any reason, much less a cartoon. There are many other ways in which I relate to the various character and their story arcs were wonderful.

It's in my heart forever. I'm better for having seen it, and I don't really care if anyone thinks less of me for feeling that way, but have to admit that I hope some agree.

Probably one of, if not my favorite show. It’s just go fucking well written. Everyone can relate to some aspect of this show. Gonna miss it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cajun said:

I just binged Dirty John.

I gave it 1 episode Sunday morning expecting it to kinda suck.

By that evening I finished all the episodes.  Well done.  Had a Bloodline vibe to it.

Same thing here. Started watching on a Sunday morning, expecting to turn it off after an episode, and plowed straight through. 

• Like 1

If you have read any Harlem Corbin you would recognize the style immediately. Great one time reads. 

They have another one based on one of his books called “Safe”. About the same quality as “The Stranger”. OK but not near as good as “Happy Valley” or “Broadchurch”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 2:27 PM, Mez2 said:

just finished sex education, man there's a lot going on this season. really cool how they dove into secondary characters and gave more backstory on them.

fuck you isaac 

I binged it on a work trip. The first episode couldn't have been more perfect for me...I'm sitting on my flight waiting on the poors to board, and an old couple sit down next to me and both introduce themselves and just start talking, even though I had my earbuds in and was clearly not interested in talking to them. Then the flight pushed back from the gate and they held hands and prayed. Then I started S2:E1 of Sex Ed. I could see the woman looking at my iPad through my peripheral vision through the intro scene...and she didn't say another word to me for the almost 3 hr flight. It was glorious. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Then the flight pushed back from the gate and they held hands and prayed. Then I started S2:E1 of Sex Ed. I could see the woman looking at my iPad through my peripheral vision through the intro scene...and she didn't say another word to me for the almost 3 hr flight.

Don’t worry, she prayed for you, sinner.

On 2/10/2020 at 7:43 AM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I call my left hand "the stranger", so this hits close to home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The first season gets much lower reviews than the rest, skip it or no?

Nope. It’s all important in getting to know the characters. The deep ness of these characters and why they are the way they are and they way they change throughout the series is pretty amazing writing. 

Edited by SubliminalHorn
  • Like 1

I think I mentioned it already but I loved John Mulaney and the Sack Lunch Bunch.  Also, I kinda liked I Think You Should Leave when it came out, but now it's one of my favorite things of 2019.  It's Lebowski-ish in how deep some of the stupid jokes can sink into your brain.  I hardly laughed at the Baby of the Year segment but... Bart Harley Jarvis, the series of deaths in the in memoriam segment... just kills me.

Enjoyed Cheer.  I kinda feel for the blonde girl - she's really talented at the one thing but she also seems reaaally low horsepower in the brain department and I think she's going to have a hard time.

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I think I mentioned it already but I loved John Mulaney and the Sack Lunch Bunch.  Also, I kinda liked I Think You Should Leave when it came out, but now it's one of my favorite things of 2019.  It's Lebowski-ish in how deep some of the stupid jokes can sink into your brain.  I hardly laughed at the Baby of the Year segment but... Bart Harley Jarvis, the series of deaths in the in memoriam segment... just kills me.

Enjoyed Cheer.  I kinda feel for the blonde girl - she's really talented at the one thing but she also seems reaaally low horsepower in the brain department and I think she's going to have a hard time.

Agreed on the blonde chick, Lexi. The good news for her is that the marijuana charge that got her booted out of school was recently dropped which cleared the way for her getting back on campus and on the team. Hopefully, she’ll find her way to some sort of career and life after cheerleading.

OK so my teenage daughter just made me binge the first 3 episodes of this Norwegian Ragnarok thing that’s supposed to be like Teen-Angst-Meets-Marvel. 

It seriously might be the weirdest thing I have ever watched.  And very possibly not appropriate for kids. The high school principal is a hot blonde who has theeesomes with students at the school dance, a guy runs into the woods naked and eats a reindeer alive, the high school principal arm wrestles a kid who is really Thor, Odin and his wife work checkout at the local grocer, on and on. 

On 2/14/2020 at 7:26 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

Watched "Behind the Curve" about the flat earth people.  Holy shit.

You're a little bit behind the curve there, but yeah. I love how their experiment to prove the earth is flat doesn't work out how they think it should, so they obviously did something wrong. 

On 2/14/2020 at 6:17 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

Netflix is really starting to feel like cable in the 1990s.  Every once in a while something big drops, but otherwise I spend a lot of time thumbing through old movies I’ve seen and totally random shit I’d never watch.  

Wife is resistant but I’m ready to drop it.   

we watch hulu way more often. 

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

we watch hulu way more often. 

Kinda wish there was a Hulu thread. The "other streaming" whatever it's called doesn't get much action. I kind of forget that I pay for Hulu sometimes because I don't know what to watch. At least I can't find a site that helps all that much with suggestions. 

Wild wild country.  Episode 2.  I'd never heard of this story before.  Obviously the producer is going to build it up as a even A vs B type of conflict.....can someone who remembered it in real time comment on what the real zeitgeist was?  Right now both parties seem equally Looney to me

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Wild wild country.  Episode 2.  I'd never heard of this story before.  Obviously the producer is going to build it up as a even A vs B type of conflict.....can someone who remembered it in real time comment on what the real zeitgeist was?  Right now both parties seem equally Looney to me

Just keep watching. You have to remember that interviews after the fact are taking the outcome into account.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

After Wild Wild Country watch “Batshit Valley”, which is the first two episodes of the third season of Documentary Now.

• Like 1