Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Continually impressed with Castlevania. Best dialogue and character development for an animated show outside of the Star Wars shows. I’m almost done with season 3 and will be wanting more.

Bojack Horseman would like a word.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2020 at 10:11 AM, Buzzrock said:

I think I’m in the minority but I just do not find him funny. Put a shirt on dude.

His first stand up on Netflix was good. I liked it.

The Russian study abroad bit.... that was funny and a great bit

The fact that he’s the real van wilder is also cool.

This one doesn’t have the density of jokes / quality of narrative his 1st standup had and he doesn’t have a natural stand-up skill set IMO.

That being said, his coffee store bit was ok. I laughed.

On 3/27/2020 at 7:46 AM, Buzzrock said:

I watched the first few episodes of season one and it didn’t grab me. I thought it was just OK.

Edit: but then again I couldn’t get into Archer either and I know that was wildly popular. Same for Rick and Morty.

you should power through x3. 

On 3/23/2020 at 7:46 PM, trza-hawk said:

Can you imagine going through this stuff back in the nineties with nineties entertainment options instead of streaming services like Netflix? I mean back in the day when families had one, maybe two big crt televisions and at most one computer with a compuserve connection? I tried to tell some young guys at work about how cable was fifty bucks back in the nineties and more for premium channels but every channel was just a constant stream of 2-star movies all day. In that sense, Netflix and all the streaming options are a slight improvement.

Anyway, I finally finished The Irishman and Highwaymen this weekend.

Hell, try the 70s when you had to pay the nerdy EE student to hook you up an HBO descrambler.  

9 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I've got a love/hate thing with Shameless going on right now.  Love the show, bingeing.  Hate it's keeping me from other content.  We did finish AC2 and Letter to the King, which had a King Arthur feel, but was pretty decent.   Back to Shameless, 3 season to go yet.

Don't worry. It gets worse and worse.

Watched 20 minutes of Tiger King and realized it would be a 7 hour documentary on trashy people doing trashy people things. Not sure why that's entertaining? Is there some reason I need to put myself through that?

Watched 40 minutes of The Witcher and it's not for me. It's like a poor man's Game of Thrones with worse acting and production quality.

I'm back to watching Parks and Rec and I might finally get around to the last season of The Man in the High Castle.

I am a huge fan of the Witcher games so there was no way I wasn't gonna watch the series but the first two episodes, IMO, are not paced well and they are going back and forth between three timelines.  I think the show tightens up and gets a lot better from episode 3 on.

The thing with Tiger King...its a doc that if it was fictional people would be like 'Come on, no way!'.  Gay dude convinces two straight dudes to marry him at the same time, for example.  I was very reluctant to start watching it but man it hooked me and I loved it.

12 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I am a huge fan of the Witcher games so there was no way I wasn't gonna watch the series but the first two episodes, IMO, are not paced well and they are going back and forth between three timelines.  I think the show tightens up and gets a lot better from episode 3 on.

The thing with Tiger King...its a doc that if it was fictional people would be like 'Come on, no way!'.  Gay dude convinces two straight dudes to marry him at the same time, for example.  I was very reluctant to start watching it but man it hooked me and I loved it.

It's just kids stuff. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hozz said:

We're halfway through.  It's pretty entertaining.  One thing I like is that it kind of makes you choose sides, then you end up switching allegiances, then back again.  IOW, you kind of get emotionally invested.

I honestly thought the McDonald's doc about Monopoly was better.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Watched 20 minutes of Tiger King and realized it would be a 7 hour documentary on trashy people doing trashy people things. Not sure why that's entertaining? Is there some reason I need to put myself through that?

Watched 40 minutes of The Witcher and it's not for me. It's like a poor man's Game of Thrones with worse acting and production quality.

I'm back to watching Parks and Rec and I might finally get around to the last season of The Man in the High Castle.

Have you watched Derry Girls?  I loved it.  Closed Caption ON

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

We're halfway through.  It's pretty entertaining.  One thing I like is that it kind of makes you choose sides, then you end up switching allegiances, then back again.  IOW, you kind of get emotionally invested.

I honestly thought the McDonald's doc about Monopoly was better.

After about 4 Eps of Tiger King I felt like I just needed to ride it out and be done with it.

There have been much better docs.  Confession Killer for one.

"The English Game" was "ok"...better than most things on network TV, lots of late 19th century societal commentary, outcome is completely predictable.

"The Letter to the King" is also in the "ok" category and fine for a younger audience.

"Messiah" looks interesting

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

When does it take off? I’m on S1E6 and it’s been kind of amusing but I’m expecting greatness from all the hype.

The wife is a massive fan. I watched the first season and thought it was fine but nothing I needed to keep up with. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 12:51 AM, pyrohornIII said:

Hell, try the 70s when you had to pay the nerdy EE student to hook you up an HBO descrambler.  

....or, you just would watch the scrambled picture, just waiting for that glorious 2 or 3 seconds every 15 or 20 minutes when it would lock in during a nude scene.  Or so I've been told.

Edited by MirrOlure
  • Like 1

Cranked out s1 of Sunderland last couple of days. Since I don’t follow English soccer I didn’t have any rooting interest for or against the team and also didn’t know how their season went. Don’t know how their previous season went either, so s2 should be interesting as well. I think a fan of any large sport would be interested, as it deals with the business side of major sports and that side is the same for nba or nfl or mlb. Plus how the town is tied to the team, which applies more to college sports to me than except  a few teams in American sports like the packers. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 10:19 PM, MillerEP said:

Quick and entertaining watch: 100 Humans.

Girlfriend and I were laughing up a storm. Fun and somewhat educational. I think it would’ve been great to be one of the 100.

Had an edible and a glass of whiskey like night and found 100 Humans with the wife, we thoroughly enjoyed it. If you're one who is going to be all technical and shit about the scientific method, this show isn't for you, because that isn't the point. It's funny and though provoking and somewhat educational, if you're willing to accept it for what it is and not a scientific documentary.

On 4/4/2020 at 5:04 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Cranked out s1 of Sunderland last couple of days. Since I don’t follow English soccer I didn’t have any rooting interest for or against the team and also didn’t know how their season went. Don’t know how their previous season went either, so s2 should be interesting as well. I think a fan of any large sport would be interested, as it deals with the business side of major sports and that side is the same for nba or nfl or mlb. Plus how the town is tied to the team, which applies more to college sports to me than except  a few teams in American sports like the packers. 

I'm halfway through S1 it's good.  It's a cast of imbeciles.

I'm not in a hurry to finish it but I'll slowly work my way through it.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:47 PM, CooterBrown said:

When does it take off? I’m on S1E6 and it’s been kind of amusing but I’m expecting greatness from all the hype.

It's not consistently laugh-out-loud hilarious, and I think I went into it expecting that because on the surface, it looks like another version of Arrested Development. But the characters are genuinely likeable, much more so than you'd think given their backstory, and I like that while they are biting and snobby at times, the family relationship is endearing. Amidst some great storylines and characters.

On 4/3/2020 at 7:45 AM, Post Oak said:

Don't forget the compilation of every time Moira says "bebe".

• Like 1