Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

22 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Am I the only one watching Giri/Haji (Duty/Shame) or did I miss the conversation on it? Wife and I are digging it. 

watched it a few months ago...you know i am a sucker for anything with kelly macdonald.  it is good.

13 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Just went on a bike ride with the kids.  Passed this house which is a couple of blocks from ours.  Anyone recognize it?  If you ask me, I'd say it has a dope front lawn.  And currently streaming on Netflix.

1ce4f5483fba94680cfe13c0fd07eb4c.jpg

Hey Derek, you know what's great for shoulder pain? If you lick my ballsack. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2020 at 2:19 AM, Bama Chick said:

“Stupid show but I still love it” is the perfect way to describe “Money Heist”.

I’m only a couple of episodes in because I’m trying to ration my quarantine watching and I can only do so many episodes with subtitles in a row - I feel like I’m missing so much visually because I have to read the dialogue.

I tried it with English dubbing but it sounds so inauthentic.

Wait, is that English dubbing thing a setting or something?  I just tried Money Heist last night for the first time (hooked) and, although it was clearly dubbed over, it didn't really bother me.  I hate subtitles with a passion, so I was happy to see this show dubbed over rather than with subtitles (wouldn't watch it with subtitles).  That's the only reason I won't watch Narcos...too many subtitles.  You telling me I can watch Narcos with English dubbed over?

Wait, is that English dubbing thing a setting or something?  I just tried Money Heist last night for the first time (hooked) and, although it was clearly dubbed over, it didn't really bother me.  I hate subtitles with a passion, so I was happy to see this show dubbed over rather than with subtitles (wouldn't watch it with subtitles).  That's the only reason I won't watch Narcos...too many subtitles.  You telling me I can watch Narcos with English dubbed over?

Some shows have dubbing as an option - not all.

It’s usually on the same menu as where you select subtitles. I forget if it’s called “Narration” or “Voiceovers” or “Dubbing” or what.

I’m at work right now but I can check at lunch.

16 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Just went on a bike ride with the kids.  Passed this house which is a couple of blocks from ours.  Anyone recognize it?  If you ask me, I'd say it has a dope front lawn.  And currently streaming on Netflix.

1ce4f5483fba94680cfe13c0fd07eb4c.jpg

since there’s no traffic, we discussed going on a tv/movie house tour. yes, we’re that bored. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Because of Narcos, I can't fully enjoy a show where THERE AREN'T subtitles and the actors are speaking English in a foreign country!  It feels totally inauthentic to me if Mexican cartel member are speaking in English to each other in Mexico!  I hate it even more when actors can't even fake an accent of the country where a show is taking place.  This nearly ruined "Chernobyl" (all British accents in the Ukraine!) even though it was an otherwise great show and the same for "Jo Jo Rabbit" as I could not stand the child actors not even trying to use a German accent.  All of the adults in "Jo Jo Rabbit" at least had German accents, while the kids had British accents.  On the flip side, I LOVED Zero, Zero,Zero in part because it used subtitles like Narcos.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I can’t watch a show using dubbing. The voice acting is usually terrible. I tried it with Babylon Berlin and it just doesn’t work for me. 

I thought the dubbing was good on El Chapo. Most the time I couldn't really tell.

I usually don’t like dubbed films but with Money Heist I think is done well and it doesn’t bother me at all.  It’s the number one most watched show all time on Netflix world wide.  I really have enjoyed it a lot.  The show keeps you on your toes non stop and does a great job of character building.  

Edited by Hook1997

Interesting what the googles returned on Netflix and dubbing.  Appears they have put some serious resources into taking dubbing to new levels...

"Localized" content has traditionally been sneered at, but the streamer is driving a boom thanks to millions spent on a network of voice artists and facilities that translates content into 31 languages.

Spoiler

Netflix’s Global Reach Sparks Dubbing Revolution: "The Public Demands It"

Dubbing, the art of syncing the dialogue of a film or TV series in a foreign language, is more often derided or ignored than celebrated. In the U.S., "localization" — to use the technical, more upscale term preferred by producers and voice artists — is still mainly associated with cheap and schlocky overdubs of martial arts movies and spaghetti Westerns.

But Netflix is determined to change that.

The company's research has shown that dubbed versions of hit shows are more popular than their subtitled equivalents. "People say they prefer the original, but our figures show they watch the dubbed version," noted Kelly Luegenbiehl, vp international originals for Europe, Turkey and Africa, at a talk in Berlin earlier this year. Netflix's investment in dubbing has been growing, on average, between 25 percent and 35 percent per year for the past few years, and the consumption of dubbed content on the platform is scaling even faster, up on average more than 120 percent annually, say company sources. Netflix works with more than 125 facilities worldwide to meet the demand and, under the guidance of Debra Chinn, a veteran studio executive who joined Netflix as director of international dubbing two years ago, the growth has been exponential.

Netflix has ramped up localization in regions unaccustomed to seeing nonlocal shows without having to read subtitles. The company recently signed a three-year deal with SAG-AFTRA, its first overall deal with the union representing Hollywood actors, which includes provisions to improve pay rates and working conditions for talent dubbing shows into English. In April, David McClafferty took over the newly minted position of creative manager for English dubbing.

Worldwide, growth in the dubbing business is being driven by Netflix's continued addition of languages to the mix — it now dubs into 31 languages, up from 24 two years ago — and by a rapid increase in production of animated series and films.

"It used to be only kids' movies were dubbed … now virtually everything is dubbed. The public demands it," says Fabio Nunes, production manager for Brazilian localization studio Delart, which dubbed all the episodes of Netflix's Stranger Things and Narcos into Brazilian Portuguese.

A knock-on effect of the Netflix-driven dubbing boom has been the creation of a new category of celebrity: the Netflix dubbing star. Isabelle Cunha, the Brazilian voice of Millie Bobby Brown's Eleven in Stranger Things, has leveraged her notoriety into success on YouTube, where she talks about life as a dubbing artist to her 24,000 subscribers. Cunha even met her alter ego in person when Brown attended a Netflix event in Curitiba in 2017. "I told her I was her voice," says Cunha. "I was quite surprised, because she's a lot more spontaneous in real life than she is on the series."

The logistical issues involved in dubbing across dozens of languages are immense. As is the challenge of protecting against leaks and spoilers. Here, Netflix's tech infrastructure has been a major asset. The company has a separate division focused entirely on dubbing innovation, finding the most up-to-date, and secure, solutions to localization issues. A dubbing director in Germany can access a secure Netflix server in real time to check out clips of a show and upload audio picks for a certain character or scene. So far, the company has not had a major breach or leaked spoiler.

But the real proof of Netflix's localization strategy is in the pudding — in dubbed shows that are so good, the audience doesn't know, or care, that they're watching a dub. Says one Netflix insider: "We are a data company, but this is really not about the revenue and numbers but about the storytelling."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflix-s-global-reach-sparks-dubbing-revolution-public-demands-it-1229761

Speaking of dubbing, one of the things that drives me crazy (and I'll admit, it sucks to be so bothered by dubbing) is the mixed dubbing movie like the Spaghetti Westerns.  It's the one reason why the Leone movies are lower in my book than they probably should be.

I just watched the horrific 1900.  I'm not sure how many of you have watched "The Leopard" with a dubbed Burt Lancaster, but you would have thought that someone would have said, that movie is perfect but for the dubbing.

Watching a film dubbed is against the rules in this household. I can’t remember ever having a good experience with it. I prefer to watch the movie the way it was intended, with the actors accents and inflections. We watch a lot of foreign films - especially horror - so maybe I’ve just gotten used to subtitles. I leave subs on for english shows a lot too now with all the mumbling.

I know the technology for dubbing is getting better and better so maybe I will give it a chance one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back in the old days I always knew what countries dubbed their American TV shows and what countries did not. The more English the locals spoke, the less they dubbed (and vice versa.)

Nowadays it doesn’t seem to equate as much. I think other countries have more of their own content (watch less American TV) or dubbing is more prevalent.

Dubbing talk not going away.

How To Fix A Drug Scandal is watchable and just four episodes. It’s pretty crazy how much pure narcotics those people had access to with no checks or balances.

We watched this and it is pretty much spot on even today with the DEA tracking that came about from this case.

Pill mills are a part of what I work and everytime it’s shocking when we start working the math. Dallas County and Collin County have a major problem. Everytime the numbers get pulled on an investigation they always seem to be in the top 10 on prescriber lists...

It’s always pain management clinic for scripts followed by heroin followed by ODs. And now we’re seeing fentanyl in the mix big time.

I'm surprised there's been so much talk about dubbing vs subtitles and no discussion of The Innocence Files. I realize that the justice system docuseries genre is crowded but it's worth watching and very well done. 

On a related note, I'm surprised that no one has done a documentary on Michael Morton yet. His story is equally compelling, heartbreaking, and inspirational as Franky Carrillo or Levon Brooks.