Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 5/2/2020 at 5:48 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Not sure if Hollywood is good, or if I’m just a sucker for material about how Hollywood works- especially golden age Hollywood. 

still can’t tell how much of it is supposed to be true or rumored to be true. 

Been doing a little research on Peg Entwistle because of this show (never heard of her) and the scene where they climb up the Hollywood sign is really awesome. I like how they've recreated the time period, the visuals and style look of the show is pretty well done. However, not sure yet how much I like the show itself and some of its themes. I'll still continue watching it though because I love the movies and It's fascinating to me. 

I keep reading it's an alternate take, similar to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but because I'm not familiar enough with some of the real life characters of that time, I'm having to do some research and finding out more about them and what made them unique or well known. Peg and Anna May Wong, for instance. 

Not sure if Hollywood is good, or if I’m just a sucker for material about how Hollywood works- especially golden age Hollywood. 

still can’t tell how much of it is supposed to be true or rumored to be true. 

Watched the first episode and to me the acting seemed amateurish and the dialogue was so bad at times I wasn’t sure if it was intentional or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Brandywine said:

Been doing a little research on Peg Entwistle because of this show (never heard of her) and the scene where they climb up the Hollywood sign is really awesome. I like how they've recreated the time period, the visuals and style look of the show is pretty well done. However, not sure yet how much I like the show itself and some of its themes. I'll still continue watching it though because I love the movies and It's fascinating to me. 

I keep reading it's an alternate take, similar to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but because I'm not familiar enough with some of the real life characters of that time, I'm having to do some research and finding out more about them and what made them unique or well known. Peg and Anna May Wong, for instance. 

It is an alternate take. Similar to OUATIH. Real people (mostly) but fictional story. 

1 hour ago, Ths71 said:

Watched the first episode and to me the acting seemed amateurish and the dialogue was so bad at times I wasn’t sure if it was intentional or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t think it got good until episode 4, tbh. 

On 5/6/2020 at 6:16 PM, henrygandorf said:

has anyone watched outer banks?  i saw my wife's eyes light up while watching the forced trailer and it's only a matter of time before she casually mentions watching it.

I think Outer Banks is fucking great.  Surprisingly so.  It seemed like it would be too 'young adult' for me and the main plot is a little hokey.  All the other stuff really works though.  The high school clique dynamic is spot on and the kids are depicted accurately as drinking drugging fighting and trying to get laid in a way that very much reminds me of my own experience, minus the occasional gun.

The girl that plays Sarah Cameron is an absolute smoke show.  

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I don’t think it got good until episode 4, tbh. 

completely unrelated, but nowhere else to put this, and this comment reminded me of a scene from a show i like (and a conversation we had on our happy hour zoom the other day).

not sure if anyone still watches anything on network, but "single parents" is a good show, on abc wed nights, from liz meriwether and jj philbin.  in a recent episode, a couple of characters are trying to get another one to binge a fictitious legal show called "gaveltown".  the character is like, "yeah, i didn't like the first one, so i think i'm out."

and the general reply is like, "no, you're right, the first one isn't very good.  then the next 4 episodes...are bad, they're really terrible.  the one after that isn't very good either, but in the 7th episode, there's a twist."  and he's like, "why would i want to watch 7 episodes of a show i hate just to get to a twist i don't care about?"  and they're like, "no no no, you have to hate the show, for the twist to work, but then it's awesome."

more and more, especially on streaming shows, i feel like i'm having conversations like these.  "oh, don't worry, it gets going after the first 5-6 episodes."  good thing we're in the middle of a pandemic i guess.  i just deleted the last 3 episodes of westworld off the dvr.  ain't nobody got time for that.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

completely unrelated, but nowhere else to put this, and this comment reminded me of a scene from a show i like (and a conversation we had on our happy hour zoom the other day).

not sure if anyone still watches anything on network, but "single parents" is a good show, on abc wed nights, from liz meriwether and jj philbin.  in a recent episode, a couple of characters are trying to get another one to binge a fictitious legal show called "gaveltown".  the character is like, "yeah, i didn't like the first one, so i think i'm out."

and the general reply is like, "no, you're right, the first one isn't very good.  then the next 4 episodes...are bad, they're really terrible.  the one after that isn't very good either, but in the 7th episode, there's a twist."  and he's like, "why would i want to watch 7 episodes of a show i hate just to get to a twist i don't care about?"  and they're like, "no no no, you have to hate the show, for the twist to work, but then it's awesome."

more and more, especially on streaming shows, i feel like i'm having conversations like these.  "oh, don't worry, it gets going after the first 5-6 episodes."  good thing we're in the middle of a pandemic i guess.  i just deleted the last 3 episodes of westworld off the dvr.  ain't nobody got time for that.

Some shows just take a while to pick up. On the networks, it’s a season or two sometimes. But in the streaming world, it might be the first 1-2 episodes. Unfortunately in these days, that’s enough to drop viewers who are out quickly with a plethora of other options. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Some shows just take a while to pick up. On the networks, it’s a season or two sometimes. But in the streaming world, it might be the first 1-2 episodes. Unfortunately in these days, that’s enough to drop viewers who are out quickly with a plethora of other options. 

yeah, we're still gonna watch it.  i enjoy most of ryan murphy's stuff, and darren criss just crushed it on the versace mini.  your comment just reminded me of that, and i thought it was funny.  network shows and streaming shows are written and built out differently for a number of reasons, mostly business related.  typically i don't set out to watch a netflix show unless i plan to finish it.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, we're still gonna watch it.  i enjoy most of ryan murphy's stuff, and darren criss just crushed it on the versace mini.  your comment just reminded me of that, and i thought it was funny.  network shows and streaming shows are written and built out differently for a number of reasons, mostly business related.  typically i don't set out to watch a netflix show unless i plan to finish it.

Yeah. And also fuck worst world. If this wasn’t a pandemic I wouldn’t have finished it 

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

I feel like the first few eps of a show now are used to scene set- who the main people are, what’s going on around them, and where in space and time is this happening.  Then the story (stories) get told. 
As opposed to starting up with a narrative and we learn about the characters and setting along the way. 

I feel like the first few eps of a show now are used to scene set- who the main people are, what’s going on around them, and where in space and time is this happening.  Then the story (stories) get told. 
As opposed to starting up with a narrative and we learn about the characters and setting along the way. 

Better than how it used to be where the series premiere would have like 10 plots points thrown i your face at a million miles an hour to try and introduce everyone right away and establish conflict amongst them and shit...

My wife and I a long time ago liked the original CSI but we started some time in the first season. I would always see the opening credits of adult getting hit with a golf club and wanted to see that episode... finally we found it and it was in episode 1 as a throw away plot as they bombarded us with all sorts of whizbang

Midnight Dinner Tokyo Series is good. Gave it a go thinking it might be a reality cooking show, it's not. Only through the first two episodes and it feels like a show I'll watch to the end... nice change of pace for me, from the shows that are pretty grim and go close to an hour an episode. Something light.

17 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

After Life is one of the better shows I've seen in a long time. 

Gervais is a genius. He'll make you very uncomfortable on moment then find real emotion in the next. The show is great.

Also, thanks for the recommendations for Derry Girls. Outstanding.

On 5/6/2020 at 6:52 PM, Gourmand said:

Holy rage fists, I finally got around to watching that episode and it left me seething at Rizzo and the State of Texas for refusing compensation to Brown. (btw Comptroller Glenn Hegar is the POS who actually made that decision, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Paxton pulling the strings). Texas owes him a lot more than $1.2mm and it's disgraceful that the powers that be refuse to pay him once cent of that meager sum for being falsely imprisoned on death row for twelve fucking years.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2019-10-18/ken-paxton-blocks-payment-to-formerly-incarcerated-man-innocent/

"When Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar prepared to release a compensatory payment to Brown – as he is required to do under the 2009 Tim Cole Act – Paxton intervened to block the payment, although the A.G. has no authority in the matter. Nevertheless, an official in the comptroller's office responded to Paxton's intervention and withheld the payment."

• Like 2

This is Sunderland is like a drink of water in the desert.  Give me any kind of actual sporting storyline, drama, matches, wins, losses, fan rants, coaches fired, hired, trades, contract talk ....

JFC I know nothing about Sunderland but I was fully engaged.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Finished the assassination of Gianni Versace. Liked it more as it went along. The guy who played Cunanan was excellent. Worthy of a watch if you’re burning through things in quarantine. 

He plays the Director in Hollywood.  Dylan McDermott is fucking awesome in it.

Going to start Yellowstone tonight.  We are burning through shows at a rapid pace.

I got sucked in to All American.  Its fucking terrible, cliche, and predictable but I had to finish it out.  It's like a mash up of Boyz in the Hood and 90210, with a dash of Friday night lights and Remember the Titans sprinkled in

Edited by Tylerocks
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Finished the assassination of Gianni Versace. Liked it more as it went along. The guy who played Cunanan was excellent. Worthy of a watch if you’re burning through things in quarantine. 

yeah that's a good slow burn entertainment television show

Ok--this is two parts.  I began reading about the Southside Strangler in the Style Weekly on its anniversary a few years ago.  I love Richmond, reminds me a lot of Austin back in the day, but that's another conversation.  But because I don't live in Richmond, I only read part I and none of the subsequent episodes.  Recently, I listened to the podcast Southern Nightmare.  If you get the chance, and you should because it's pretty damn great, this is a great podcast series on the topic: https://www.southernnightmare.com/listen/ and it was made with Style Weekly.

I'm also partial to the story because one of the faculty that I work with went to school at VCU during this time and got free housing when a studio mate woke up and found a piece of cut electrical wire on the pillow next to him.  Police told him he was lucky.  So my friend had to take the bed beneath the window but didn't care because it was free housing and he was a broke graduate who hadn't heard anything about what was going on at the time.  

Do not spoil it and read about the case beforehand or during.    

But, it led me to Mindhunters, already reviewed here in Surly, since they utilized some of the techniques and spoke with the agents down the road in Quantico.  If you're watching Netflix, Mindhunters has a great cast, has a storyline based on true events and has damn strong story telling.  However, I'm only at the end of Season 1, so can't say about Season 2.  But I think it would be amazing if they are ever able to tie this case into one of the Mindhunter seasons.  But, Season 3 is on hiatus so who knows if it will ever happen.  

Edited by Mdhorn

However, I'm only at the end of Season 1, so can't say about Season 2.  But I think it would be amazing if they are ever able to tie this case into one of the Mindhunter seasons.  But, Season 3 is on hiatus so who knows if it will ever happen.  

Season 2 was really good imho.

There will be probably no season 3 now, Fincher released everyone from their contracts and left to go work on other stuff. I know that’s technically not cancelled but I just don’t see fincher deciding to come back to this ever.

Season 2 was really good imho.

There will be probably no season 3 now, Fincher released everyone from their contracts and left to go work on other stuff. I know that’s technically not cancelled but I just don’t see fincher deciding to come back to this ever.
Good show.

Extraction was awesome, very pleasantly surprised.  is that an exception to the rule or are there other netflix movies that are as fun?

Believe it or not, the Sandler/Aniston movie Murder Mystery is actually pretty funny. Easily my favorite Sandler comedy, though that’s an extremely low bar.