Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Believe it or not, the Sandler/Aniston movie Murder Mystery is actually pretty funny. Easily my favorite Sandler comedy, though that’s an extremely low bar.

It was a good one 

7 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Really? I thought I heard it sucked but I don’t really pay much attention to Sandler comedies. I’m desperate enough to put it on the list.

I meant Murder Mystery was good 

On 5/8/2020 at 8:22 AM, Ths71 said:

Watched the first episode and to me the acting seemed amateurish and the dialogue was so bad at times I wasn’t sure if it was intentional or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same reaction.  Tried second episode and thought it got worse and stopped watching before it ended.

• Like 1

Need a verdict on White Lines.

I just watched I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore - probably a little late to the party but that was a quick, enjoyable movie. Good mix of offbeat dark humor and... action? It reminded me a bit in the premise of God Bless America (Bobcat Goldthwaite directed movie in which a laid off loser who hates everyone has a chance encounter with a disaffected teen who hates everyone and they go kill all the terrible people) in the premise, but it was way less troublesome and mean spirited.

I loved “White Lines”.

There are definitely some of the silliness of “Money Heist” (same writer and showrunner) like extreme coincidences, over the top sex and violence, a bit ridiculous story. But it also has the same great bits - really interesting characters, very engaging and fast paced story, excellent and well executed humor, and it’s just fun to watch.

Definitely left lots of room for more seasons while still answering the mystery of the season.

• Like 2

I watched Extraction and liked it quite a bit, so I thought I'd give another Netflix original a try.  I like alien invasion movies so I gave Beyond Skyline a shot.  What a fucking shit show waste of time.  I understand plot is not usually a strong point for these movies, but this one seemed like it didn't even have a script.  If the plot wasn't so bad I would have said the acting was the worst part of this flick.  It was a close second though.

Enjoyed The Stranger.  Wife had issues with how different it was from the book.  I said, "Whatever, Bookfag."

On another note, I'm behind on Narcos. I'm kind of glad for one reason - Every time they say "Ese malparida Yudy Moncada", I think "That's their version of 'That bitch Carole Baskins'"

19 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Den of Thieves. - excellent 

Seriously, how the fuck do I do spoilers?  I've done it before and there was some button that made it so easy that a gen Xer could figure it out.

Watched it last night and stayed up late so was groggy at the end.  So the guy who originally came up with the plan was going to f everyone over from the beginning?  

20 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Really? I thought I heard it sucked but I don’t really pay much attention to Sandler comedies. I’m desperate enough to put it on the list.

Somehow I interpreted that as you saying Pixels is good.  It's terrifying to think I could have almost watched Pixels.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

Somehow I interpreted that as you saying Pixels is good.  It's terrifying to think I could have almost watched Pixels.  

I’ve watched it. I don’t hate it mostly bc of video games nostalgia.  Otherwise it’s just Adam Sandler goofing off with his buddies like all his other “comedies” 

23 hours ago, futureman said:

re: extraction

Reveal hidden contents

Ha, I was waiting for that at the very end. Either way all in on #2. 

Watched The Meyerowitz Stories last night.  Great cast.  Noah Baumbach directed it.  Kind of really disliked it.  Everybody was pretty unlikeable.  Is that kind of his deal?  Make movies about characters you're going to dislike?  

On 4/20/2020 at 1:27 PM, scottsins said:

NSIAP, but Innocence Files is great so far.  This forensic dentist (Dr West) deserves the worst kind of existence.

I just searched this thread to see if anyone had commented on this series.  I'm 3 episodes in.  My wife is over it ("We get it!"), but Dr West is a train wreck that I can't look away from.

The guy is just beyond loathsome.  After being proven wrong over and over and over again by DNA testing, he still lacks ANY humility or self-reflection.  In fact, he's so stubborn in his self-righteousness that he lets a documentary film crew follow him around while he endlessly congratulates himself for being such a badass.  

I mean, if modern DNA analysis was proving that I had wrongfully locked up numerous black men, I probably wouldn't participate in a documentary about that.  And even if I did, I'd probably take the Confederate flag memorabilia down from my office, and I wouldn't drive around downtown Hattiesburg and talk about the importance of civil war monuments.  There are about four other "fuck this guy" moments that I won't list in case anybody else wants to watch it.  

Bored today so I started watching Hangar One:the ufo files. Holy shit the things on here. I’m just into episode 2 and already have heard:

1)jfk was killed 10 days after issuing some ufo disclosure orders in order to prevent disclosure. 
2) while drilling into the earth to build a “deep underground military base,DUMB” they accidentally dug into a fortified structure and upon entering got into a firefight with a bunch of large gray aliens that were there.  This is in 1995 I think.

3) in a military expedition in Antarctica during ww2 a ufo fought with the nazi Germans and almost destroyed the us navy ships and only backed down when the navy retreated. 

How could I not keep watching?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

"Casting JonBenet" is bizarre, and unlike any movie I've ever seen.  

A community theater in Boulder has a casting call for a play about Jon Benet.  Then the usual assortment of drama people (including several self-absorbed whackadoos) who want to be in the production show up and try out for each role.  These screen tests are filmed for a documentary.  

Each actor 1) reads lines from the script, 2) offers their own theories on the murder and on the Ramsey family dynamics, and 3) tells about their own psychological traumas, and how those traumas give them insight into the case.  

Five minutes in, you'll think, "I'm not watching this shit."  But then you will.  And you'll soon be left to wonder WTF just happened.

I'm not sure if I'm telling you to watch it or warning you away.  

Haven't read the thread in a good while, so apologies for what I'm sure has been covered, but I was dinking around looking for something I hadn't seen on Netflix and came across Public Enemy.

I had no idea what it was about and had never heard of it.

I just saw Johnny Depp and Christian Bale and decided to give it a chance, having pretty low expectations.  Gotdamn was I surprised!  FanFuckingTastic flick.  Incredibly well done on every level.  I was commenting to my oldest daughter that I hadn't seen gun battles depicted that well since HEAT.  Sure enough, I'm watching the credits roll and there it is, Michael Mann production.

Edited by Cajun
And I'm fully prepared for the "Where have you been, under a rock?" responses. They're probably well deserved.