Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

watched over the weekend.  Enjoyed, but man I could have watched like a 10 part series on the inner workings of the mob.  
Yeah, somebody said this earlier, but the show is definitely a view from 10,000 feet. Stuff like the $2 million a week gas scam could have had its own hour.
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 8:51 PM, Neonmoon said:

Dating on the Spectrum.

Holy shit. This is hysterical. Documentary show about Autistic people trying to find a partner. I don’t mean funny in a mean way either. But some of the people are legit funny as fuck. I swear, Michael tells it like it is, and every thing he says is hilarious. 

Just started watching this and haven't been able to stop. I will say I really appreciate how kindly the producers are shooting this series. I never feel like they are making fun of these folks but rather just showing just how difficult it is for them to make these social connections (But I agree with your post above that it is absolutely laugh out loud funny at times). The real emotions manifesting from their parents can be hard to watch as you see the worry and nervousness they have for their kid's futures.

Just really well done. Michael is awesome. The enthusiasm he had at meeting Mary-Ann from "Gilligan's Island" was great. The Ferris Wheel and Clock tower Andrew built were crazy. So many really great people that you quickly get invested in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Just started watching this and haven't been able to stop. I will say I really appreciate how kindly the producers are shooting this series. I never feel like they are making fun of these folks but rather just showing just how difficult it is for them to make these social connections (But I agree with your post above that it is absolutely laugh out loud funny at times). The real emotions manifesting from their parents can be hard to watch as you see the worry and nervousness they have for their kid's futures.

Just really well done. Michael is awesome. The enthusiasm he had at meeting Mary-Ann from "Gilligan's Island" was great. The Ferris Wheel and Clock tower Andrew built were crazy. So many really great people that you quickly get invested in.

a Michael update:

In the interview, Michael confessed that following his reality TV stint, he has an even clearer idea of the kind of person he wants to marry. He stated how he’s now streamlined his criteria. He wants someone who comes from a good family, doesn’t get into trouble with others, and above all, has a good heart. He also revealed that he hopes his future wife is a hard worker, before adding: “I hope to meet someone who’s very intelligent and has the ability to challenge me.” Michael also spoke about Amanda, whom he’d met at a singles dinner. “I did learn that you have to feel some kind of connection with the person you are dating,” professed Michael. “If it becomes clear that the person isn’t enjoying themselves, I don’t think the date should continue”. These were his wise words of dating wisdom. He offers good advice for practically anyone who’s on the lookout for love.

In a conversation with Lindsay McDougall from ABC Illawarra, Michael said that he felt strange while watching himself on TV. He spoke about getting positive reactions from his co-workers and declared how he is in fact, “the star of the show.” He spoke about his experience at the Comic-Con, meeting his dream woman Dawn Wells with the help of Love on the Spectrum’s team. He also proclaimed how he’s happy with the show’s final edit. He added that he’s happy being off-air and resuming regular life, but admitted that he loves the attention he’s getting from people, especially on the streets. “They complimented me about how wonderful I was,” confessed the Netflix star. He agreed that the show has helped put him on the right path and that he hopes there is a season 2.

With his heart that’s ten sizes too large, Michael has touched many, since his first scene on Love on the Spectrum, even though he himself doesn’t believe in love at first sight. No wonder most of the Internet currently echoes the sentiment that Season 2 of Love on the Spectrum should be renamed "The Michael Show"!

On 7/31/2020 at 9:19 PM, UTCzech III said:

Just finished watching Tread.  Good, not great, pretty dry for a documentary.  It's only 1 1/2 hours though, goes by pretty quick.

I'd read a fair amount about that incident, so I was interested in watching this -- probably more so than the average viewer.  I pretty much agree with your assessment.  I liked how they included diagrams of the town to give you a sense of where everything was located, as well as how they interspersed Heemeyer's rantings on tape with the background information from witnesses. 

It still irritates me that he thought he was basically being guided in his actions by God, and he came *thisclose* to killing a lot of innocents (kids, old folks, etc.) who had nothing to do with his property-based disputes with the town's "powers that be."  So God thought it was okay for you to kill some kids in the local public library?  Hokay . . .        

• Hook 'Em 1

Love on the Spectrum

Only 3 episodes in but, yes, very powerful stuff. Goodness, as a dad, tough to watch, at times. The parents. Some good folks there.

It would have been a different viewing had I watched it before having children, I'm certain.

I just can't help but root for all of them from my little corner of Texas.

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I'd read a fair amount about that incident, so I was interested in watching this -- probably more so than the average viewer.  I pretty much agree with your assessment.  I liked how they included diagrams of the town to give you a sense of where everything was located, as well as how they interspersed Heemeyer's rantings on tape with the background information from witnesses. 

It still irritates me that he thought he was basically being guided in his actions by God, and he came *thisclose* to killing a lot of innocents (kids, old folks, etc.) who had nothing to do with his property-based disputes with the town's "powers that be."  So God thought it was okay for you to kill some kids in the local public library?  Hokay . . .        

I had a brilliant thought (at least brilliant for me) about how they could have stopped that wacko earlier, saving a lot of property damage.  

Spoiler

Why didn't law enforcement just spray paint over the four camera ports so he couldn't see where he was going?  It was said that the cameras were protected by bulletproof glass, but I doubt it was spray-paint proof.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Native Horn said:

I had a brilliant thought (at least brilliant for me) about how they could have stopped that wacko earlier, saving a lot of property damage.  

Hide contents

Why didn't law enforcement just spray paint over the four camera ports so he couldn't see where he was going?  It was said that the cameras were protected by bulletproof glass, but I doubt it was spray-paint proof.  

Too bad you weren't there at the time. 

Spoiler

Actually, I'm not sure that law enforcement realized during the incident exactly how said wacko was navigating around.  They found all the video stuff after the wacko killed himself and they managed to access the cab of the bulldozer.  But whether the LEOs realized during the incident that he was navigating purely by video?  I'm not sure.  And if they did have a clue about the video system and had painted over it, my guess is that the wacko would have continued blindly destroying stuff until he ran out of fuel or the dozer became disabled in some other way.

My thought was to try to attach an explosive device to one or both of the treads, and knock the treads off to disable the bulldozer.  I saw it done to a Panzer tank in Saving Private Ryan, so we know it would have worked, right?

Edited by Carl Spackler
Spoiler

22 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Couple of days ago I was lazily scanning through the new Netflix shows and I was like “killdozer!”.I’m surprised that doesn’t happen more often. I mean, it almost never happens.

A great "Grade B" cult TV film (with a young Robert Urich) that teaches an important lesson:  Never, ever try to move a meteorite with a bulldozer. 

Some of this has already been announced a long time ago but. (also how the fuck do you change it from double space to single space)

Netflix cancels:

1. Messiah

2. October Faction

3. Spinning Out

4. AJ and the Queen

5. Soundtrack

6. Marianne (French Horror Series)

7. Osmosis (French Sci-Fi Series)

8. Designated Survivor (ABC series that Netflix picked up for a season)

9. No Good Nick

10. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

11. One Day At A Time

12. Tuca Bertie (Adult Animated Series)

13. Mortel 

14. The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell

15. Friends from College (FUUUUUUCKKK, this shows was hilarious)

16. Travelers (Eric McCromack sci-fi series)

17. V-Wars (Sci-Fi drama)

18. Jessica Jones (Marvel shut it down)

19. The Punisher (Marvel shut it down)

20. The OA

21. She's Gotta Have It (spike lee series)

22. Chambers

23. Santa Clarita Diet

24. Turn Up Charlie (Idris Elba comedy)

25. Merry Happy Whatever

26. Next in Fashion

27. Astronomy Club: The Sketch Show

Netflix Renewed:

1. The Last Kingdom - Season 5

2. #blackAF

3. The Kominski Method (Final Season)

4. Dead to Me (Final Season)

5. Never Have I Ever

6. Ozark (Final Season)

7. Another Life

8. GLOW (Final Season)

9. Stranger Things (duh)

10. Grace and Frankie (Final Season)

11. Lucifer (Final Season)

12. 13 Reasons Why (Final Season)

14. The Crown (Final Season)

15. The Rain (Final Season)

16. Trinkets

17. After Life

18. You

19. The Order

20. The Haunting of Hill House

21. Sex Education

22. Locke and Key

23. Love is Blind

24. The Circle

25. Virgin River

26. Queer Eye

27. Gentefied

28. Valeria

29. The Witcher

30. Blood & Water

31. Lost in Space (Final Season)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Three eps into the new season of Umbrella Academy.  It's so unique.  I love it.  I think The Boys is a better show but I really dig the feel of UA.

Just finished Kims Convenience.  I thought the writing in the final two seasons was pretty meh.  I understand it's a sitcom but I thought it was just lazy.  The actors are fantastic.   Give them more to work with.

They're supposed to start shooting S5 tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.  Hope the Jesus is watching out.  

Ok See you.

Belatedly* finished Turn (Washington's Spies).  Pretty good show.  Simcoe was one of the better film/tv villains ever.

*I started watching it during its original run, but never managed to DVR eps I was going to miss and AMCs on-demand on my cable system is extremely spotty, also leading to my falling off TWD early.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Really digging "i'm sorry."  I find it very funny and the lead actress (Andrea Savage) is a total MILF.

Episode 1 was a decent MEH from me but the wife liked it and made me watch 1 more episode. Glad I stuck with it because it got much much better(to me) ep.2 to the end.

Helps that I love me some Jason Mantzoukis.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Belatedly* finished Turn (Washington's Spies).  Pretty good show.  Simcoe was one of the better film/tv villains ever.

*I started watching it during its original run, but never managed to DVR eps I was going to miss and AMCs on-demand on my cable system is extremely spotty, also leading to my falling off TWD early.

Worth it? I tried it when it came out but also fell off

12 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Worth it? I tried it when it came out but also fell off

I enjoyed it pretty well.  Something happens in the third season that almost makes the fourth superfluous, but was glad I watched it.

Pro-tip that I didn't quite get the first time around.  While it is a dramatization, the historical figures (damn near all of them) are fairly accurate.  So articles/stories on them contain spoilers.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/6/2020 at 10:55 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Cancelled Sabrina?  Boo. 

Heard HBO Max is eyeing it.

And they had to cancel shit to make room for the Ryan Murphy deal and productions like Witcher, which is expensive.

Ratched releases September 18, and I love me some Sarah Paulson.

They started filming Halston, which will be a miniseries starring Ewan McGregor as Halston (I think this is going to be fantastic).

Also, Season 5 of Lucifer is a two parter, with part 1 dropping a week from today (CANNOT WAIT!).  

And I love the Last Kingdom, so waiting anxiously for Season 5.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

On the Ryan Murphy deal, I have not watched Hollywood, but my understanding is it isn't that good, so color me disappointed.

Love The Politician though, even if it got bad reviews.

Here are all the Netflix deals.

https://www.businessinsider.com/biggest-deals-netflix-hbo-jj-abrams-shonda-rhimes-ryan-murphy-2019-11#david-benioff-and-db-weiss-netflix-4

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

On the Ryan Murphy deal, I have not watched Hollywood, but my understanding is it isn't that good, so color me disappointed.

https://www.businessinsider.com/biggest-deals-netflix-hbo-jj-abrams-shonda-rhimes-ryan-murphy-2019-11#david-benioff-and-db-weiss-netflix-4

they spent way too much tying up showrunners for shit that takes years and years to cash in on.  nobody subscribes to netflix for a show coming out in 2023.

there were articles about how the most watched netflix shows weren't actually netflix shows and they overreacted.  it's just not a sustainable model.

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Maybe watch Hollywood and then decide if it’s good/bad?

I enjoyed it. it was a cool “what if” type show.