Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 8/19/2020 at 11:40 AM, A-Tex Devil said:

I am watching Teenage Bounty Hunters right now.  It's fun.  The leads are good actresses, and Kadeem Hardison as an overweight, grey haired, grizzled old bounty hunter is unrecognizable (at least to me, because he'll always be Dwayne Wayne to me).  You must set aside the ridiculousness of the premise and the insanity of Hardison's willingness to mentor the twins in bounty hunting based on one encounter.  They make it pretty easy to do if you are willing.   

Thank you. We stayed up until 3am this morning, binging.

7 minutes ago, PawsomeRedRaider said:

Binged Love on a Spectrum. I thought it was a refreshing look into the desires of a group of people who inherently have a difficult time connecting. I found myself rooting for all of them.

Was hesitant to watch at first, but really enjoyed it.

Michael (I think) was friggin hilarious.  Intentional or not.

Edited by Tylerocks
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Hoops is pretty good and very wrong in a Big Mouth kind of way.

Watched the first episode and in

Jake Johnson said if you don’t laugh in the first 10 min, don’t waste your time. At least he’s honest 

On 8/19/2020 at 7:55 AM, MissingInAction said:

Never watched The West Wing so started that up as my nightly show to pass out to. High production value, great cast and writing. Gets a bit sappy at times. Nearly 20 years old but holds up fairly well.

season 1 is the worst of the sorkin years (1-4) and definitely the sappiest.

2-4 are fantastic, and no moira kelly, so it's win-win.  seasons 5-7 get a bad rap, but really only part of 5 i think suffers from the sorkin-schlamme -> john wells turnover.  6/7 are really good and hold up great on rewatch.

On 8/19/2020 at 9:59 AM, TrashMaster G said:

I have watched the entire series probably a half dozen times by now and on each go-through I skip the same episodes - CJ going home, the "special episode" (the documentary), and The Debate (Santos/Vinnick).  Sometimes skip Isaac and Ishmael as well.

i could've written this exact post.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

season 1 is the worst of the sorkin years (1-4) and definitely the sappiest.

2-4 are fantastic, and no moira kelly, so it's win-win.  seasons 5-7 get a bad rap, but really only part of 5 i think suffers from the sorkin-schlamme -> john wells turnover.  6/7 are really good and hold up great on rewatch.

i could've written this exact post.

I'm midway through season 2 and couldn't agree more. Such an incredible beginning to season 2, and so glad Moira was replaced by the hot autistic blonde in the steam room. 

I cringed every time she showed her pug face then wanted to hit mute the second she opened her cock holster.

Edited by MissingInAction

6 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I'm midway through season 2 and couldn't agree more. Such an incredible beginning to season 2, and so glad Moira was replaced by the hot autistic blonde in the steam room. 

I cringed every time she showed her pug face then wanted to hit mute the second she opened her cock holster.

mid s2 to mid s4 is about as great as tv can get in a 2 season span.

High Score is really good if you're like me and grew up near the end of the Atari era and witnessed the awesomeness of the NES. My wife still has her original system, box, instructions, etc. Has about 25 games all in their original containers and maybe 40 issues of Nintendo Power

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, iodeac said:

High Score is really good if you're like me and grew up near the end of the Atari era and witnessed the awesomeness of the NES. My wife still has her original system, box, instructions, etc. Has about 25 games all in their original containers and maybe 40 issues of Nintendo Power

Enjoyed it, but I think there are many great stories from the early days they either skipped or glossed over. One off the top of my head was Activision pretty much being founded over the fact that Atari refused to give designers any credit. 

The story of the origin of Ms. Pac Man was great. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I’m on episode 5 of season 2 and just started it a couple weeks ago.  Season 2 seems to be off to a better start for sure.  Season 1 was good but kinda all over the place and would build things up and never finish them, especially on the private life of the characters part.  I also want to know what happened to the ships they led into the hurricane?  They build up a cliff hanger and then they don’t even mention what happened the next episode?  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Just saw the trailer for that.  Hard no.  It looks great but I don't think I could make it through 

There were several times I was hoping my wife didn’t walk in the room as I was crying like a bitch. It will hit you in the damn gut. There are some really low moments followed by some sweet surprises. I had to leave the house after watching it and do something to get my mind off of it. 

1 hour ago, Clintonaldo said:

There were several times I was hoping my wife didn’t walk in the room as I was crying like a bitch. It will hit you in the damn gut. There are some really low moments followed by some sweet surprises. I had to leave the house after watching it and do something to get my mind off of it. 

Steve Hartman makes me cry.  I know my limits.  It looks really good tho

14 hours ago, Deej said:

Enjoyed it, but I think there are many great stories from the early days they either skipped or glossed over. One off the top of my head was Activision pretty much being founded over the fact that Atari refused to give designers any credit. 

The story of the origin of Ms. Pac Man was great. 

It was good, but very repetitive (introduce genius creator of a game or system, tell story of top competitor of the era, tease next wave) and superficial.  A highly glossed version of the history of the medium.  If you didn't know better, you'd think there were Mall arcades and Atari home systems and nothing else.  No mention of Intellivision, Colecovision, etc.  No mention of Tecmo Bowl or NBA Jam when  talking about sports games.  Not to mention the first 4/5 episodes covered roughly 1976-1990 and episode 5 sped past the rest.  Talk about violent video games that "began" with Street Fighter, but nothing about the post-GTA world.  They lightly touch on modern gaming by mentions of Skyrim and showing some clips. 

Overall, I enjoyed some of the backstories but would not call this a history of video gaming.

High Score - 6 episode light doc on video games. Started mostly with Space Invaders, I'm 3/4 through episode 6 and it's on Doom and LAN gaming.

This is one of those docs where... i haven't at any moment thought "this is an incredible earth shattering documentary", and yet I started it last night and am finishing it now.

Man I forgot about shareware. Also revisiting Sega v Nintendo... yep. Interesting the strategy behind the marketing, and how effective and on point the messaging seemed to me as a kid living through that era of gaming.

• Like 1

High Score - 6 episode light doc on video games. Started mostly with Space Invaders, I'm 3/4 through episode 6 and it's on Doom and LAN gaming.
This is one of those docs where... i haven't at any moment thought "this is an incredible earth shattering documentary", and yet I started it last night and am finishing it now.
Man I forgot about shareware. Also revisiting Sega v Nintendo... yep. Interesting the strategy behind the marketing, and how effective and on point the messaging seemed to me as a kid living through that era of gaming.
Episode 3 is killing me. I knew it was Roberta Williams before they even said who it was. I spent so much of my childhood playing games from Sierra like King's Quest, Space Quest and Police Quest.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/21/2020 at 11:12 PM, UTCzech III said:

Came across a doc called "A Gray State", enjoyed it.  Definitely taps into a lot of what's going on today (grifters, QAnon, Alex Jones, conspiracy groups, internet movements, crowd sourcing, mental illness).  1 1/2 hours well spent.

If they expose the batshit insaneness of Qanon, I'm betting TexAgs is furious at Netflix, and threatening to cancel their subscriptions.

Actually, qanon isn't insane - it's exactly what it was intended to be - a prank started on 4chan, and it happened to make a lot of money and a lot of lulz.

It's the qanon followers that are fucking insane.

10 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Rake is good.  It's an Australian mashup of Perry Mason and Shameless.     Worth a check just for the freshness of something from somewhere other than UK or US.  

There was a US version with Greg Kinnear that lasted one season on Fox. Good show.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If they expose the batshit insaneness of Qanon, I'm betting TexAgs is furious at Netflix, and threatening to cancel their subscriptions.

Actually, qanon isn't insane - it's exactly what it was intended to be - a prank started on 4chan, and it happened to make a lot of money and a lot of lulz.

It's the qanon followers that are fucking insane.

How does qanon make money?

Rake is good.  It's an Australian mashup of Perry Mason and Shameless.     Worth a check just for the freshness of something from somewhere other than UK or US.  

There was a US version with Greg Kinnear that lasted one season on Fox. Good show.

The original Rake is greatness, lives that show.
The US version was meh when compared.

The wife and I still jokingly say his name when we watch other Aussie shows. CLEAVER Greene!!!

On 8/22/2020 at 7:58 PM, Celery Man said:

Someone should have told John Romero to wear clothes that fit.