Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

18 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

We’re on episode 2. 

This is the kind of show that premiers on NBC and is cancelled after 1.5 seasons. Huge budget, looks pretty, big name, but rated E for everyone and goes through every cliche in the book. 

So another Extant with Halle Berry?  Or Defying Gravity with Ron Livingston?

I'm going to give it a shot, I'm a sucker for space TV shows, but I got partway into the first episode, and got some bad vibes when the Russian was shit-talking her to the NASA person about the fire (have not watched past that part).  There is going to be enough shit go down on a journey to Mars, the stay there, and then the journey back, over three years, that they don't need to be setting stuff up so early, and creating human drama 20 minutes in.

This makes me wish Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy would be picked up by Netflix.  Checked again on the rights, and Spike TV has them, but it's on hold (and I did not think Spike could do it properly).

The Mars trilogy rights were at one point held by James Cameron,[8] who planned a five-hour miniseries to be directed by Martha Coolidge,[9] but he passed on the option. Later Gale Ann Hurd planned a similar mini-series for the Sci-Fi Channel, which also remained unproduced.[10] Then, in October 2008, it was reported that AMC and Jonathan Hensleigh had teamed up and were planning to develop a television mini-series based on Red Mars.[11]

On September 24, 2014, SpikeTV announced it was working with producer Vince Gerardis to develop a TV series adaptation of Red Mars.[12] On December 8, 2015, SpikeTV formally greenlit a ten-episode first season of a TV series based on the novels, with J. Michael Straczynski serving as showrunner and writer.[13] On March 25, 2016, Deadline reported that Straczynski had left his position as showrunner with Peter Noah replacing him but he too left due to creative differences with Spike. Spike has put the series on hold for further development.[14]

Edited by atomheartbevo

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So another Extant with Halle Berry?  Or Defying Gravity with Ron Livingston?

I'm going to give it a shot, I'm a sucker for space TV shows, but I got partway into the first episode, and got some bad vibes when the Russian was shit-talking her to the NASA person about the fire (have not watched past that part).  There is going to be enough shit go down on a journey to Mars, the stay there, and then the journey back, over three years, that they don't need to be setting stuff up so early, and creating human drama 20 minutes in.

This makes me wish Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy would be picked up by Netflix.  Checked again on the rights, and Spike TV has them, but it's on hold (and I did not think Spike could do it properly).

Ha I was absolutely referring to Defying Gravity, and sadly this show isn’t as good as that show. We made it 3 episodes before bailing. I couldn’t take the middle school level paint by numbers writing anymore. 

On 9/5/2020 at 2:22 PM, RPM said:

Tread is pretty freaking awesome. Do not piss off a welder.

After watching that it seemed like no one really did anything to him, it was mostly just in his head. Dude was off the rails big time. But yes he had some serious welding skills. That thing was damn near indestructible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

After watching that it seemed like no one really did anything to him, it was mostly just in his head. Dude was off the rails big time. But yes he had some serious welding skills. That thing was damn near indestructible.

See, I think some of those sources are unreliable. There's no way a man goes from okay to nutzo with God behind his justice.

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

See, I think some of those sources are unreliable. There's no way a man goes from okay to nutzo with God behind his justice.

Actually that’s exactly how mental illness works a lot of times. Somewhat evidenced by his extensive and rambling recordings, a rational person wouldn’t do all that. If social media was around back then he’d be the guy making insanely long Facebook posts or being super active on Twitter. He also seemed to suffer from paranoia and narcissism, thinking he was important enough for everyone to be out to get him all the time, etc. 

I do give him props for his creativity though. Oftentimes guys like him will just grab a gun and go on a shooting spree, very low skill and low effort way to lash out at the world. This guy made an unforgettable display of it.

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Actually that’s exactly how mental illness works a lot of times. Somewhat evidenced by his extensive and rambling recordings, a rational person wouldn’t do all that. If social media was around back then he’d be the guy making insanely long Facebook posts or being super active on Twitter. He also seemed to suffer from paranoia and narcissism, thinking he was important enough for everyone to be out to get him all the time, etc. 

I do give him props for his creativity though. Oftentimes guys like him will just grab a gun and go on a shooting spree, very low skill and low effort way to lash out at the world. This guy made an unforgettable display of it.

Just talked to the girlfriend who's study is psychology, she would agree with paranoia, but narcissism not so much.

On 9/2/2020 at 3:37 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Remember it very clearly - all the kids in our school were watching it on TV in the classrooms.

On 9/2/2020 at 6:44 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Yep, was in 2nd grade... that’s about all I can remember from that time in school. I remember not fully grasping that it was really happening but I remember seeing my teacher, a former Air Force pilot and burly dude, crying and that was freaky as a child

On 9/2/2020 at 9:36 PM, Post Oak said:

I was in elementary school.  Even though it was so long ago there are certain things I remember like they were yesterday

I was in high school but my school was too poor to have TVs much less access to cable TV. We did have maybe 5 projectors that could be rolled into the classroom to watch some film from the 50s. Y'all led some privileged lives.

I finished a couple of Brazilian sci-fi shows this summer on Netflix. Each have the same producer/creator and have a cast with too many young people to take real seriously when the acting gets dramatic. Anyway, both 3% and Omniscente have many pieces in their sci-fi universes that make them about Brazilian society, be it the inequality or the security state paranoia or even the music. 3% has a solid first season, but the low budget (the dystopian police thugs have such cheap uniforms and they are all skinny scrawny people) takes its toll on the series as it develops. The show uses a lot of the song "Preciso Me Encontrar" played on the fiddle, another song titled "Bom Censelho" is used over and over again on the third season.

I would actually recommend the show Omnisciente, it unfolds slowly as a murder mystery, maybe a little too slow. The computer coding sequences are really simplified, and the use of drone/security footage is overdone. But its still worth watching.

There is another show titled Reality Z, a Brazilian adaptation of an English horror spoof where zombies attack the Big Brother house, but I couldn't make it through an entire episode it was so bad and relied on so many recycled Zombie tropes.

Edited by trza-hawk
spelling

2 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

I finished a couple of Brazilian sci-fi shows this summer on Netflix. Each have the same producer/creator and have a cast with too many young people to take real seriously when the acting gets dramatic. Anyway, both 3% and Omniscente have many pieces in their sci-fi universes that make them about Brazilian society, be it the inequality or the security state paranoia or even the music.

They've got over 210 million people in Brazil, and it's interesting how much they are pumping out, that is reaching non-Brazilian audiences, and how dark a lot of their stuff is.

They've got over 210 million people in Brazil, and it's interesting how much they are pumping out, that is reaching non-Brazilian audiences, and how dark a lot of their stuff is.

I am biased, but I think Brazil has a pretty good track record in film and TV (more so film).

I think Central Station and City of God really brought Brazilian cinema to a wider, less Latin audience. Plenty of films before those, but those really seem to be the ones that got most anglos into Brazilian film/TV.

I think the diversity of the country helps (much like it helps in the US).

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am biased, but I think Brazil has a pretty good track record in film and TV (more so film).

I think Central Station and City of God really brought Brazilian cinema to a wider, less Latin audience. Plenty of films before those, but those really seem to be the ones that got most anglos into Brazilian film/TV.

I think the diversity of the country helps (much like it helps in the US).

City of God did seem to be one that sticks out for me.

I remember there was stuff when I was a kid about how one day we could watch anything that's ever been on TV or in theaters (and have flying cars and robot maids). Netflix has done a half-decent job of pulling in a shitload of content from other countries that I would never have dreamed of watching.  

And hell, my wife has seen so many Korean dramas, I'm waiting for her to start speaking Korean.

• Like 1

Just finished first season of Teenage Bounty Hunters.

First I want to say I had a few issues with the over sexualization of the teenage girls. A lot of it seemed unnecessary for the story.

But getting past that it was really great with several true laugh out loud moments in each episode. Kadeem killed it with his gruff growling character. And the girl that played April reminds me of a young SallyField. I looked her up and wouldn’t have been surprised if it was her grand daughter but I didn’t find any connection.

City of God did seem to be one that sticks out for me.
I remember there was stuff when I was a kid about how one day we could watch anything that's ever been on TV or in theaters (and have flying cars and robot maids). Netflix has done a half-decent job of pulling in a shitload of content from other countries that I would never have dreamed of watching.  
And hell, my wife has seen so many Korean dramas, I'm waiting for her to start speaking Korean.
Elite Squad 1 and 2 are great as well.

18 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Episode 3 of Chef’s Table BBQ with Rodney Scott is as good as the Tootsie episode.   I agree that the second episode can be skipped.  That dude was just unlikeable from the start. 

2nd episode was worth watching, but more in the perspective of the normal Chef’s Table shows than as a BBQ specific version. That guy is probably on the spectrum, but he is a renowned chef who is doing something different than just about anyone out there. I would eat what he cooks although 200 day aged beef may be stretching that. Snow’s and Scott’s episodes were excellent, 4 didn’t really interest me.

2nd episode was worth watching, but more in the perspective of the normal Chef’s Table shows than as a BBQ specific version. That guy is probably on the spectrum, but he is a renowned chef who is doing something different than just about anyone out there. I would eat what he cooks although 200 day aged beef may be stretching that. Snow’s and Scott’s episodes were excellent, 4 didn’t really interest me.

Second Episode is the only one I’ve actually rewatched. It was great.

I think there’s an inherent bias in support of the show about the Texas-based pitmaster being shown on the thread.

I never once thought Lennox was remotely unlikable like some have said.

19 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Second Episode is the only one I’ve actually rewatched. It was great.

I think there’s an inherent bias in support of the show about the Texas-based pitmaster being shown on the thread.

I never once thought Lennox was remotely unlikable like some have said.

I agree. And the notion that he’s not doing anything unique is, quite frankly, absurd

Watched a few episodes of Hoops this weekend. Animated comedy with lots of cussing. The animation style reminds me of Rick and Morty. Looks like the critics are shitting all over it, but I'm finding it entertaining for what it is and expect a few quotable phrases to come out of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Chef's Table 4,1,3,2

Peaky is a good show, you'll get used to how they talk.  Some hate the show, others like it.

Is this the JT or Randy method? I’m not sure it matters because neither system makes sense with your 4.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, drifter379 said:

Just finished first season of Teenage Bounty Hunters.

First I want to say I had a few issues with the over sexualization of the teenage girls. A lot of it seemed unnecessary for the story.

But getting past that it was really great with several true laugh out loud moments in each episode. Kadeem killed it with his gruff growling character. And the girl that played April reminds me of a young SallyField. I looked her up and wouldn’t have been surprised if it was her grand daughter but I didn’t find any connection.

Those teenage girls are 25 and 26, so it's totally fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/5/2020 at 2:22 PM, RPM said:

Tread is pretty freaking awesome. Do not piss off a welder.

That was such a crazy story, it's one of those news events many of us remember well. I put it in the same category as the Heat in real life bank robbery shootout in LA many years ago and that guy that stole a tank and went on a rampage in San Diego. In fact, iirc that military tank incident served as Heemeyer's inspiration in Colorado.

Tread is a sad tale in the end because speaking as a guy who usually needs to call a guy to fix shit, what ol Marv designed and built with his own hands all by himself was a very impressive accomplishment eclipsed only by his paranoia. 

Edited by Gourmand

On 9/2/2020 at 3:00 PM, 4th&Five said:

Holy hell just saw this trailer, hits me in the throat. I look forward to seeing it. I was a sophomore in high school in Houston and my second period class met in our library that morning for a class project when the news was announced over the PA by our principal. I've forgotten a lot of the past, but that moment was nailed into my brain just with the shock that such a thing could happen to our invincible space program. 

Edited by Gourmand
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, team subtitles here. With the whole trend towards muted dialog and loud background music it really helps you pick up on stuff you would have otherwise missed.

This. Everything now seems to have wide fluctuations in volume and bad accents. Add in kids interrupting and I pretty much have cc on all the time. I also remember watching The Godfather the first time having no idea wtf was going on. Second time used cc, while different movie.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Started using subtitles when my kids were born when I had to watch TV with the volume low out of fear of waking them.  Now they are always on because I can't hear anything.  It drives my kids nuts when we are watching TV together just like it drove me nuts when my parents did it.  The circle of life.

Edited by Gene Parmesan
  • Like 1