Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

For the subtitle convo a couple of pages back, a good sound bar, or center speaker, plus the right setting does help with understanding dialogue. You shouldn’t have to crank up the volume to hear the characters.

I dislike changing the sound bar setting depending on what I’m watching but it’s makes a world of difference.

but I have still have the subtitles on for some shows as well.

23 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

We are going to watch this as a family.  The problem of electronic dependence was already a major issue for my kids.  The rona has started to create some real, visible issues.  

Ditto. I hope they have a lengthy fucking section on "Fortnite" That fucking game is crack for my 11 year old.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, Native Horn said:

Watched the first two episodes of "Challenger - The Final Flight" last night.  So far, a really good accounting of the astronauts we lost, paired with some NASA shenanigans that may have contributed to the tragedy.  

I was in elementary watching live. It’s my first memory of seeing adults cry.  I admit I tear up every single time I see the video. Ironically enough my love space and the mission began that day.  30 years later I’d be part of the space mission.  I’m watching it now. 

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

For the subtitle convo a couple of pages back, a good sound bar, or center speaker, plus the right setting does help with understanding dialogue. You shouldn’t have to crank up the volume to hear the characters.

I dislike changing the sound bar setting depending on what I’m watching but it’s makes a world of difference.

but I have still have the subtitles on for some shows as well.

yes.  Some other tips are DO NOT put the center speaker inside a cabinet.  Make sure your center speaker is all the way to the edge of whatever it sits on, don't push back to the wall (the first reflection matters most for clean dialogue).  Lastly, put a pad or wedge under it to angle to ear level with main seating position.  This should also line up as best as possible with the tweeters in your front L/R speakers (height).

Advanced tips:  raise center crossover slowly (start at 80 (no lower), then go 90 etc) if dialogue seems muddy or too much mid bass .

Edited by ChickenSandwich

The production quality on Chef’s Table is astounding. The Rodney Scott episode is just as good as the Snow’s episode. Similar techniques on the coals. 

Much like brisket in Texas, nobody can so pulled pork better than the Carolinas. The culture and then local product matters. 

P.S. The best collard greens in Texas I’ve ever had was at the Houston Petroleum  Club. Diced pork, nice vinegar mix, plenty tender. It’s very difficult green to cook greens correctly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Finally watched "The Old Guard" last night; it took more effort than it should as Mrs Fairway interrupted at least 3 times - well worth the watch, if for nothing else because Theron is hot. 

Spoiler

The action is a bit overdone, and the dialog could use some improvement but the storyline was good. And they are setting this up for sequels, so I'll keep watching them as long as they keep Charlize cast in her role. 
Did I mention that she is hot 
The Old Guard' (Spoilers) - The Ringer

Finally watched "The Old Guard" last night; it took more effort than it should as Mrs Fairway interrupted at least 3 times - well worth the watch, if for nothing else because Theron is hot. 
Spoiler

The action is a bit overdone, and the dialog could use some improvement but the storyline was good. And they are setting this up for sequels, so I'll keep watching them as long as they keep Charlize cast in her role. 
Did I mention that she is hot 
MV5BNWRiNjU5ZDMtZjg4NS00MWNjLThiMGUtNzk1ZGJiMDVkYWJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzI1NzMxNzM_._V1_.jpg

It is know that I prefer curvier women as opposed to her more athletic figure....but I’ll be damned if she just isn’t one of the sexiest women alive. Her turn in Atomic Blonde is otherworldly.
  • Like 2

Mission: Forget Reality took us to a fun place on Amazon last night. If you're of the right age and mind, I Highly Recommend Paul Lynde's 1976 Halloween special. It is a hilarious trip. Too many stars to enumerate, but suffice to say that Kiss plays several songs and Pinky Tuscadero is heavily featured.

I was in elementary watching live. It’s my first memory of seeing adults cry.  I admit I tear up every single time I see the video. Ironically enough my love space and the mission began that day.  30 years later I’d be part of the space mission.  I’m watching it now. 
I remember watching it back in 2nd grade. This is well done, but incredibly upsetting.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:07 PM, Celery Man said:

I watched The Babysitter awhile ago. They just released a sequel. Both very kinda B comedic slasher horror movies. Mostly starring Samara Weaver (who is a bit of a scream queen and also in the very good Ready or Not, streaming elsewhere) although she doesn't show up a ton in the sequel. I think the 1st one got middling reviews and the second one is getting fairly bad reviews, but they're both quick and fun if you're into the... stupid, lots of blood, humorous.

Weaving, as in Mr. Anderson Weaving.  But yeah, Ready or Not is fantastic.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:18 AM, mchookem said:

does this help explain how and why most of our kids are fucking broken and can't deal with normal life? 

When you take away the kids' chance at responsibility via summer/after school employment, they need something to fill their time.     They lose the option of taking pride in doing a job right and it's replaced by rank in games and likes on IG or followers on tiktok.

7 hours ago, After irth said:

That and the fact that it’s really just a soap opera in space. What a beating. 

I’d love to hear the tech aspects that piss you off the most. 

I had to quit.  I couldn't stand that they just went to the "Russians hate Americans and trying to fuck over the American commander from the get-go" or whatever was going on, with the conflicting stories about the fire in the first episode.  It's like, with all of the shit that could happen on a Mars mission, don't start me off with that.  Give me an episode or two of world-building, then introduce that stuff.

• Like 1

Let's put aside the technical aspects for a minute. I know that everything is filmed in Canada these days but they could not have gotten a show set in Houston more wrong. And then there is the wet rub on the brisket debacle. There's not one technical advisor from Texas on that show?
  • Haha 1

Forgot to add its basically this is us combined with parts of Apollo 13. Show had potential and I'm pot committed at this point but very disappointing.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The small snippet of the Reagan speech had me in tears.

Here is the whole thing for those who haven't seen it in a while.

Say what you want about the man, but he could really deliver a message when he had to.  I have no intention of politicizing this, but I'm going to do it anyway...really leaves you wanting when you look at the "amateur hour" going on right now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• American Honey with Shia is a good movie and pretty spot on I think about younger people 18+ and bad lives and magazine sales back in the day.  We were partying one weekend for I think OU (might of been another out of town game idk) weekend at a friends apartment and the magazine sellers came knocking we are all drunk, they looked a bit rough but one was a cute girl.  Someone told them they would make a huge order if they went and got us some more beer and cigs we gave them money for and 30 min later we had more beer and the cigs and a few people signed up for some magazines.  Watch and you will understand.
Edited by Hook1997

It probably got a lot of mentions when it was first released, but in case you skipped over then The Haunting of Hill House is excellent.  I am 5 episodes in, and the wife even watches it and she hates scary stuff.  It's got plenty of creepiness but it's more about the story and building tension than just jump scares or showing scary images.

I missed that thread.

Tell me/us your involvement! Love me some space stuff.

Between F14s and space missions, it’s why I visited the Smithsonian Air & Space museum probably 10-15 times as a kid in the 80s.

2 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

I missed that thread.

Tell me/us your involvement! Love me some space stuff.

Between F14s and space missions, it’s why I visited the Smithsonian Air & Space museum probably 10-15 times as a kid in the 80s.

Program management between USG SX and ULA.  Bringing competition to the space industry and NSSL.  I love launch 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Watching ratched. It’s good, but I’m not yet sure it should be nurse ratched as opposed to just another ahs season. 

well, murphy signed a deal with netflix but I'm sure fx retains rights to the franchise, so there you go

The Kingdom

The Koreans are really cranking out some good stuff.  Set around 1600 in Korea, you have a power struggle for the throne where one side revived the dead king to delay succession until another son is born. The current heir isn't happy about that. Cool, new look to Asian history of the time. Oh yea, it also develops into a zombie movie as that disease erupts in one of the provinces.

I'm zombied out, but this has really been good for the first handful of episodes.

Alive

A contemporary Korean Zombie movie. Good entertainment. A young man is alone in his family's high rise and sees the horror below. He's low on food. After a few weeks, he sees a living girl in the building across the street. Nice story. The movie relies more on the story than the carnage.

• Hook 'Em 1