Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Watched Ava last night.

Jessica Chastain, John Malkovich, Colin Farrell

Chastain plays Ava..she's an assassin. Malkovich is her boss/mentor.  Farrell is a former assassin turned boss/CEO of whatever Black Ops firm they work for.

It was entertaining I guess.  Nothing mind-blowing.

I also watched it over the weekend and thought it was shit. The movie was a jumbled mess of cliché assassin storylines with a very shallow plot, combined with family drama that seemed like it would be more at place in a Hallmark movie. The acting was terrible, even felt like Chastain had mailed it in for a paycheck, but maybe she just had terrible dialogue to work with.

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I also watched it over the weekend and thought it was shit. The movie was a jumbled mess of cliché assassin storylines with a very shallow plot, combined with family drama that seemed like it would be more at place in a Hallmark movie. The acting was terrible, even felt like Chastain had mailed it in for a paycheck, but maybe she just had terrible dialogue to work with.

she runs funny.

and that back slice with the knife to take down Duke was pretty bad ass.

also the scene in Germany or wherever  she had to escape the hotel was pretty fuckin dope 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/9/2020 at 3:25 PM, Helobious said:

Selena series has a bit of a low budget Lifetime feel to it. But I still enjoyed it. 

Watching it pretty much as a comedy.   It is so low rent and every single thing about it is bad:  writing, acting, directing, etc.  The timeline screw ups are laughable but also insulting, as if they didn't think the people watching it would know or care.  The Lifetime moves are Oscar worthy compared to this mess.  [Mecician-American, listed to Tejano music, grew up in the Valley in that timeframe...my Dad's most treasured possession is a picture of him dancing with Selena, so maybe I am sensitive]

38 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

In response to the success of Queen’s Gambit, Netflix has been pushing Searching for Bobby Fisher. I had forgotten how much I liked that movie. The kid playing Josh gives one of the best child performances ever. 

nice.  i don't think my girlfriend has seen Searching for Bobby Fisher.  we liked Queen's Gambit.

that championship match scene is straight money.  i know Gandorf is a huge fan of it and the way it was shot.

"You've lost.  You just don't know it."  i use that line every once in a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

nice.  i don't think my girlfriend has seen Searching for Bobby Fisher.  we liked Queen's Gambit.

that championship match scene is straight money.  i know Gandorf is a huge fan of it and the way it was shot.

"You've lost.  You just don't know it."  i use that line every once in a while.

i love every bit of that movie. early steven zaillian. yes, please.

a civil action is also underrated. both have bill macy. and tony shalhoub. 

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A Very Murray Christmas is good. I don’t get the Rotten Tomatoes scores. 

It’s an enjoyable hour long Christmas special without ads. You can’t ask for much more. 

Is it a new one? Loved the original.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I’m on episode five and I love it.

But it’s a Shonda period piece so I’m far from an unbiased reviewer.

This kind of stuff is my wheelhouse.

I cannot stand the way she writes. It’s either a rapid fire conversation in which people talk amongst each other with no beats from when one stops to the next one starting, or it’s a super monologue where phrases are repeated for effect. 

source:  wife loves greys anatomy band scandal so I’ve seen them. 

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Happytime Murders is up on Netflix.  Puppet movie from one of Jim Henson’s kids.  Maybe a good family flick over the weekend?

You might want to watch it first before calling it a "family flick".

tenor.gif?itemid=16590061

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, it got pretty horrible reviews and I think part of it was the mixture of pretty adult or juvenile humor with the puppets that are pretty solidly linked to children's tv.

Yeah, when it was originally announced and the trailer released, I was surprised they were keeping the puppets that close to what looks like kids puppets.

There was some funny stuff, but it was too uneven.

They would have been better off running it as a sketch comedy on Netflix or something, like the old Twisted Puppet Theater on Showtime, with its puppet facts like "puppets shit cotton!"