Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I wish someone would do a quality doc series like Night Stalker but about the Candy Man from Houston. Fucking sick bastard.

It still surprises me that the Candy Man does not have more of a mainstream awareness than he does.  28 dead in 3 years.  My only guess is that A) people didn't know a serial killer was operating until he was killed and B) It was the early 70s and a lot more shit was going on in the news (and it may not have been a story the media wanted to cover back then).

It still surprises me that the Candy Man does not have more of a mainstream awareness than he does.  28 dead in 3 years.  My only guess is that A) people didn't know a serial killer was operating until he was killed and B) It was the early 70s and a lot more shit was going on in the news (and it may not have been a story the media wanted to cover back then).

Yeah, it’s crazy. I think he is still the most prolific serial killer in Texas history. Maybe I am wrong. Tortured, raped and murdered at least 28. Fucking insane evil.

Yeah I think Eugene Watts(the Sunday morning slasher) had more than Dean Corll (the candy man), think he had like 44 linked murders to his 100 estimate by his own words and to the 28-29 that the candy man had.

I think Mindhunters had an episode where the FBI agents interviewed Elmer Wayne Henley, who was the candy mans teenage accomplice and eventually shot Corll.

• Like 1

I finally watched The Social Dilemna.

If you haven't watched it you need to.  When you read the Cloak Room and some of the topics in Daily Texan (riot threads) you'll realize just how much people are being influenced and polarized against each other with social media at the center of the problem.  It was a powerful show.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 12:45 AM, Sejjr said:

Giri/Haji is pretty good. It is very well done and very fresh for the genre. Starts a little slowly but really ramps up.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:13 AM, 4th&Five said:

Am I the only one watching Giri/Haji (Duty/Shame) or did I miss the conversation on it? Wife and I are digging it. 

On 3/2/2020 at 7:21 PM, CooterBrown said:

One episode in on Giri/Haji and it’s solid. A Tokyo detective goes to London to investigate if his assumed dead yakuza brother is responsible for a murder.

I just finished Giri/Haji, and am really surprised that it hasn't received more buzz.  It is a very unique take on the crime/mafia drama genre, and is extremely well done with top-notch performances from almost the entire cast (I struggled a bit to find Justin Long convincing).  If you are in need of a solid 8-episode binge, look no further.    

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/20/2021 at 6:11 AM, Mileslong said:

One of my favorite shows ever...sad to see it go but it’s time

I'm not sure if it was the Variety article I read or a different one, but the producer said that Peaky Blinders will continue in a different form. I gather that means a spin off, which is great news imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'm not sure if it was the Variety article I read or a different one, but the producer said that Peaky Blinders will continue in a different form. I gather that means a spin off, which is great news imo. 

That's cool... plenty of characters to spin off either before/during/after. Love me some Peaky F'in Blinders

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I finally watched The Social Dilemna.

If you haven't watched it you need to.  When you read the Cloak Room and some of the topics in Daily Texan (riot threads) you'll realize just how much people are being influenced and polarized against each other with social media at the center of the problem.  It was a powerful show.

I've been trying to get everybody I know to watch it, particularly those who spend way too long on Facebook.

I've also been pushing it to the people I know who are into qanon, since it's literally the reason their cult grew to the size it did.

For all of the relatives/family members who bitch about how the tech industry is trying to control us, some of them are pretty fucking hesitant to watch it and hear from the actual people who were behind the scenes and literally trying to control or change their behaviors.

I've got one older (70s) family friend who would post things on FB at all hours of the day.   She asked why she should watch it.  I told her that it would show her why she's constantly posting political and religious stuff for what seems like most of the day.  I have no idea  if she watched it, but my sister has noticed she has cut way back on her FB activities, and seems to be sticking more to the "grandma posting stuff about the grandkids" thing, as of late.

edit: The ones who push back the most on watching it seem to be the ones who actually are aware of how easily they are getting sucked into social media, and either they don't care, or they need help (intervention?).

Social Dilemma should be required viewing in high school, not that it would help much.

Edited by atomheartbevo

5 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Yeah I think Eugene Watts(the Sunday morning slasher) had more than Dean Corll (the candy man), think he had like 44 linked murders to his 100 estimate by his own words and to the 28-29 that the candy man had.

I think Mindhunters had an episode where the FBI agents interviewed Elmer Wayne Henley, who was the candy mans teenage accomplice and eventually shot Corll.

I will always defer to the expertise of a trucker when it comes to serial killing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

i read that the series will wrap up with a movie. which could be what the article was referencing. 

Thought Night Stalker was really good - excellent production.

But I saw a massive opportunity lost, as far as Ramirez' background is concerned. They hinted at it here and there but never shed light on the guy's origin which, from what I understand, was horrific and exceedingly important to the story and events. Then again, does one want to be entertained or depressed?

Maybe the producers made the right call, who knows...

12 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Lupin is pretty enjoyable if you suspend a bit of logic. French 5-episode show about a diamond thief trying to solve a mystery on why his father was framed for a crime 25 years earlier.

I didn't need it ending on a cliffhanger though. Supposedly, Part 2 comes out later this year. 

On 12/25/2020 at 12:44 PM, AngryDragon said:

BInged Sweet Home. Gave me a Stranger Things vibe but more of a grown up Korean version. Enjoyed it and def in for S2. 

Enjoying this series currently.  I'm 3 episodes in.  Not reminding me of Stranger Things yet, but I could maybe see it in some of the quirky music choices at times.  This was the series I chose after "Alice in Borderland" season 1 which I really enjoyed.

Well, I got talked into watching "The Witcher," but after 3 episodes I kind of gave up on that one.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/17/2021 at 8:28 AM, Helobious said:

Hard to be a serial killer nowadays with all the crime investigation technology and surveillance we have now. Definitely can’t remember any known active ones, there probably are some around but we may not know about until after the fact. 

Wasn't there a male nurse not that long ago that offed a bunch of folks?  Not as 'gruesome' per se, but I would think he qualified....Edit: NM, that's my old age f-ing w/me.  Due I was thinking of committed his last murder in 2003.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

I didn't need it ending on a cliffhanger though. Supposedly, Part 2 comes out later this year. 

I enjoyed Lupin very much. 2 or 3 days to binge all the episodes. I was surprised it ended on a cliffhanger but I've already forgotten what the cliffhanger was about since I've slept since watching it. Great show. 

Watching Spycraft today. Documentary series about the art of spying, including examples. Tech, clandestine Ops, strategies. A little dry but an interesting peek into that world. 

for the Derry girls fans, one of the holiday episodes of British baking show is 4 cast members. They can’t bake well at all and are a riot together, mirroring their characters pretty well. 

19 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Thought Night Stalker was really good - excellent production.

But I saw a massive opportunity lost, as far as Ramirez' background is concerned. They hinted at it here and there but never shed light on the guy's origin which, from what I understand, was horrific and exceedingly important to the story and events. Then again, does one want to be entertained or depressed?

Maybe the producers made the right call, who knows...

Director said they intentionally didn’t spend much time talking about Ramirez himself, given how big of a fan base he had and how glorified he was already. But at the same time, that’s what people find most interesting.

^^^ That’s true and it felt a lot like a CoD campaign, but still an enjoyable film that was very well shot.

My cousin produced, so I saw the script maybe 3-4 years ago when they were looking to attach talent and it changed a good amount. Was originally supposed to be shot/take place in Africa, so my guess is they moved to a more expensive shoot when the Netflix cash came in.

On 1/17/2021 at 4:28 PM, Helobious said:

Hard to be a serial killer nowadays with all the crime investigation technology and surveillance we have now. Definitely can’t remember any known active ones, there probably are some around but we may not know about until after the fact. 

One would think it’s hard but I recall seeing an article a few months back saying there are a few thousand active serial killers. Not sure how that’s estimated but the number really surprised me.

2 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

One would think it’s hard but I recall seeing an article a few months back saying there are a few thousand active serial killers. Not sure how that’s estimated but the number really surprised me.

I think they base the numbers off of the unofficial subreddit for serial killers, but there's a bunch of fucking posers in there, who think that killing a couple of people makes them a serial killer.  The place has gone downhill the past few years.  Mods need to be stricter with who gets in.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 12/27/2020 at 11:55 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Bridgerton puts wives in the mood to swive.

200.gif

On 12/25/2020 at 9:29 PM, Bama Chick said:

I’m on episode five and I love it.

But it’s a Shonda period piece so I’m far from an unbiased reviewer.

This kind of stuff is my wheelhouse.

I was making fun of Mrs. CHIEF for watching this shit Saturday, nothing but a damn soap opera set in the 19th century. Shallow as shit. I was smoking some ribs, and every time I would come back in there was always some fucking going on. I just kept egging her on about how fucking stupid it was, and how I thought she was smarter than that. Come Saturday night, though, she stripped naked in the dark and crawled all over me. Needless to say, yesterday, I already had her computer hooked to the TV and ready to go for her. It worked for last night as well. Just thought I would give all the guys around here that PSA.

CHIEF

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I was making fun of Mrs. CHIEF for watching this shit Saturday, nothing but a damn soap opera set in the 19th century. Shallow as shit. I was smoking some ribs, and every time I would come back in there was always some fucking going on. I just kept egging her on about how fucking stupid it was, and how I thought she was smarter than that. Come Saturday night, though, she stripped naked in the dark and crawled all over me. Needless to say, yesterday, I already had her computer hooked to the TV and ready to go for her. It worked for last night as well. Just thought I would give all the guys around here that PSA.

CHIEF

ByV6zvfCEAEyDDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Speaking of serial killers I always thought a good premise for a movie would be about a disgruntled tech support phone agent who tracks down every customer that was rude to him. He starts by Strangling them with a phone cord, and becomes more creative as the bodies start to stack up. He never gets caught.

• Haha 1

I'd rather see a movie along the line of the punisher/equalizer except he tracks down spammers, phishers, and identity thieves and tortures them to death in creative ways.  When they're dead he posts a video of it on a web site.

I would sign off on this. especially if they have all the elderly people these guys have taken advantage of, come in and do the torturing...
  • Hook 'Em 1

CHIEF

This. Definitely fired things up.

The Dig is wonderful.  Watch it.

Meh. Watched it tonight. I remember how awestruck I was when I saw the Sutton Hoo treasure in the British Museum. I’d been reading about it my whole life. I love archeology.

The movie was ok. Really slow. Ok, but nothing special.

Also, I have a big crush on Lily James.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The movie was ok. Really slow. Ok, but nothing special.

If Hollywood had made it, the landowner would have been a young hottie, she would have been banging the young and hot self-taught archaeologist, the actors in Detectorists who play Lance and Andy (and Simon and Garfunkel) would have had cameos/parts as the laborers/diggers, and they would have had it take place a year or so later, so that the archaeologist, the landowner, and his crew would have been dodging German bombs occasionally.  And the treasures would have been jubblie-trapped.  And he would have loaded the treasures in a truck, and on the drive to London, would have been relentlessly pursued by German fighters.