Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

10 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

Lupin kickoff season 1 was great. Perfect world this was in English but learned a bit of French. 

Why not just watch it with the English voiceover on?  Much better experience than having to read the whole time IMO.

And Lupin wasn’t great.  Lupin was somewhere between meh and great.  It wasn’t even as good as White Lines, which I’m not even sure I’d call great.  I’d call it more like “pretty fucking good”

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Why not just watch it with the English voiceover on?  Much better experience than having to read the whole time IMO.

And Lupin wasn’t great.  Lupin was somewhere between meh and great.  It wasn’t even as good as White Lines, which I’m not even sure I’d call great.  I’d call it more like “pretty fucking good”

I tend to keep it authentic, the American dubbed in voice shit looks  and sounds cheap. 

Is there Tom Herman good to great Movie review chart I can look at?

Just finished Below Zero. It’s pretty dark with a pretty trippy story line. It’s in Spanish with subtitles. It’s not a “must see” but if you do happen to watch it, it won’t waste your time.

On a lighter note, more of a “background noise” casual viewing type show, Blown Away is pretty good. Glory holes are an important part of the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?  That’s a bold statement.  Can anyone else back this up?  I just watched the first 5 mins of the first episode and it felt pretty generic 90s network TV drama to me.

That was my take. Not interested after watching first episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/3/2021 at 3:18 PM, landman said:

Based on watching the first two episodes with the wife last night, and the following action in the bedroom, I can attest to this statement.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:55 PM, Landomatic said:

You haven’t even gotten to the good stuff yet.  End of episode 5 on should get her real worked up.  Apparently chicks dig that main dude.

Bridgerton has led to a big surge in romance novel sales.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/06/entertainment/bridgerton-romance-novel-renaissance-trnd/index.html

And holy shit it's their biggest series ever.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/28/media/bridgerton-netflix-biggest-series-intl-scli/index.html

Some 82 million households watched the drama, based on novels by Julia Quinn, in its first 28 days, Netflix (NFLX) said in a statement on Wednesday. 

The company also claims that the show has "made the top 10" in each of its markets except for Japan, and has hit number one status in 83 countries, including the United States, United Kingdom, Brazil, France, India and South Africa.

Millions of those households probably watched it because a significant other urged the other person to watch it because

giphy.gif

Just did a binge on Blown Away, a competition show about glass art. Going in, I had zero interest or knowledge about glass making but these artists do some amazing work. The work environment is hellish and and more than a little dangerous. It’s an easy watch and thought it was worthwhile. 

Edited by TonyTexas

On 2/7/2021 at 10:07 AM, TonyTexas said:

Just did a binge on Blown Away, a competition show about glass art. Going in, I had zero interest or knowledge about glass making but these artists do some amazing work. The work environment is hellish and and more than a little dangerous. It’s an easy watch and thought it was worthwhile. 

I thought it was kind of cool, because I knew nothing about glass blowing.  It would have preferred more functional stuff than artsy stuff, so if you are a knuckle dragger like me you will probably be left saying I guess that's good.

We watched The Confession Killer (5 part series) about Henry Lee Lucas. Really good. I knew something about the inflated numbers of his killings, but the actions of the Texas Rangers and the Georgetown sheriff were unknown to me.

They treated him like a rock star feeding him case info. And take out dinners and beer
He obliged by confessing to all kinds of shit

5 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

They treated him like a rock star feeding him case info. And take out dinners and beer
He obliged by confessing to all kinds of shit

That was pretty fucked up. Never mind the egregious police work. 20 out of some 100 confessions proven false.

The rest...haha, whatever 

20 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

We watched The Confession Killer (5 part series) about Henry Lee Lucas. Really good. I knew something about the inflated numbers of his killings, but the actions of the Texas Rangers and the Georgetown sheriff were unknown to me.

Very good.

Phil Ryan was a big player in that. He wound up becoming Wise County Sheriff for several terms until he retired. He was crooked as a snake.

2 hours ago, Chilly Water said:

That was pretty fucked up. Never mind the egregious police work. 20 out of some 100 confessions proven false.

The rest...haha, whatever 

The Ranger involved sticks by his story, and the Rangers themselves whitewashed the whole thing. Then the head of the Rangers, a former FBI deputy director, destroys the Waco DA who raises questions about the confessions.

The story was more disturbing than what I'd gathered before watching the documentary.

While we're on crime docs, I agree about Night Stalker being good. Another story I didn't know deeply and learned a lot.

I'd give a thumbs down on Murder on Middle Beach (HBO). It's too much the filmmaker talking about "my mom's murder's" impact on him. It also doesn't solve much of anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

currently watching The Staircase- i'm on episode 5, the beginning of the trial. for me, the one thing that sways my opinion is his 911 phone call- i'm not buying it. i've watched a shit ton of true crime shows, and i've heard a shit ton of desperate 911 phone calls made by someone who is suddenly/tragically losing a loved one, and 99% of the time the person on the phone keeps talking to their loved one, and not to the 911 operator. they only intermittently check back in with the 911 operator. so for example, something like this:

person who's loved one is suddenly dying in front of them: "Kathleen! Kathleen! Wake up! Wake up baby, wake up! KATHLEEN! WAKE UP!  *checking back in with 911 operator* Please, my wife needs help!! 123 Maple Lane! KATHLEEN! WAKE UP BABY!!!"

for real. it's always some shit like that. this dude never once spoke to Kathleen as she lay dying/dead in his arms. he sounded totally fake to me. totally fake.

now then- i like this guy's legal team a helluva lot more than i like the DA, and this guy's family all sticking by him makes me hope that he's innocent. but still- that call seemed fake as shit to me, and i'm just not buying it. guess i'll find out in these next 7 episodes. 

latest thoughts on The Staircase (currently on E8)-

Spoiler

From what i've seen, and i know it could be a slanted view, but from what i've seen there's no way that i could vote to convict Michael Peterson if I were a juror.  I might not be convinced that he's innocent, but i'm definitely not convinced that he's guilty. from what they've shown the state has failed to meet the burden of proof, by a mile. 

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

latest thoughts on The Staircase (currently on E8)-

Hide contents

From what i've seen, and i know it could be a slanted view, but from what i've seen there's no way that i could vote to convict Michael Peterson if I were a juror.  I might not be convinced that he's innocent, but i'm definitely not convinced that he's guilty. from what they've shown the state has failed to meet the burden of proof, by a mile. 

completely agree.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned at least one is almost 100 pages, but Longmire is a good watch. 

Katee Sackoff in a tight Sheriff uniform? Could be worse. Add in the chops of Robert Taylor, Lou Diamond Phillips, and Zahn McClarnon?

Great cast, not super drama crime intense, not super cheese comedy. Nice balance of story and characters.

Another one in the murder mystery realm is “The Killing.”

Another series saved from prematurely ending on tv by netflix.

The first season can seem a little slow at first, but keep in mind each episode is pretty much one day. It isn’t going to be a nice wrap up in an hour like a csi, bones, or some shit.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just watched the new series on the Cecil Hotel and the death of Elisa Lam. 
Fucking internet sleuths. 
“I’ve spent hours researching this case and I don’t agree with the coroner.”
Hours.

It was pretty damn intriguing. Usually these types of programs end up being rather silly when they start mentioning the paranormal or conspiracies but while it touched on that stuff it came back to earth.

The history of that hotel is unlike any other except maybe this one

b9900eff3bc5b9d5adf097190c82dd6c.jpg

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Hours.

Holy shit they were annoying. 

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Worth watching?

Meh. Should've been made into just one episode.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:59 PM, thunderlounge said:

I’m sure it’s been mentioned at least one is almost 100 pages, but Longmire is a good watch. 

Katee Sackoff in a tight Sheriff uniform? Could be worse. Add in the chops of Robert Taylor, Lou Diamond Phillips, and Zahn McClarnon?

Great cast, not super drama crime intense, not super cheese comedy. Nice balance of story and characters.

Another one in the murder mystery realm is “The Killing.”

Another series saved from prematurely ending on tv by netflix.

The first season can seem a little slow at first, but keep in mind each episode is pretty much one day. It isn’t going to be a nice wrap up in an hour like a csi, bones, or some shit.

What happened to "The Killing" on Netflix??

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

so i keep seeing this whole "one blockbuster movie per week" from netflix.  not sure if one came out this weekend, but this comes out next friday and looks good:

The third and final “To All the Boys” teen romcom was the movie of this week. 

11 hours ago, Deej said:

Hours.

Mirrors the Jamie Minor story here in Austin from 2011. After watching this doc In my opinion see Lam’s fate ending tragically the same.

Minor who as well was bipolar and off her meds is sent home from the Austin downtown W Hotel management for erratic behavior. Never goes home and is instead found trapped dead in the air ducts days later at Flemings just blocks away. For unknown reasons instead of walking through the front door to see her bf in the kitchen area she breaks into a second story air duct in the adjacent parking garage and is trapped. Employees complain of the air conditioning pushing out a foul smell and Maintenance investigates the area leading to her decomposing body being found by the Austin Fire Department. 

Edited by Blackcat00
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you don't mind subtitles, Suburra (Blood on rome) is a good mafia series, Borgen is a really good political drama and The Bureau (French) is amazing.

In English, An Australian series called Wanted is enjoyable...twists and turns, 2 women on the run from the law. Cheeky. (Another good Australian tv series is Mr In Between about an organized crime enforcer, but I don't know where it's streaming.

edit - also Safe on netflix is pretty good - British dad goes searching for his missing daughter.  Not at all like Searching.

Edited by Chopper

Shot Caller was surprisingly entertaining, mainly because Jamie Lannister is a damn good actor. Pretty routine story of normal guy finds himself in prison and does what's necessary to survive, even after his release. They don't make you wait long for violent advances to the plot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1