Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Actually just watched it on Amazon through something called imdb TV, which is free with commercials 

I’ve seen that for a couple shows, but none that are worth sitting through commercials for. Good to know for those that have not watched it yet, bit since I have I’ll skip it until it shows up elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

I’m beginning to wonder why I’m still paying for Netflix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same, I think the only thing keeping me is the occasional TV show and now them releasing basically a new movie a week.  

Same, I think the only thing keeping me is the occasional TV show and now them releasing basically a new movie a week.  

Yep, getting real close to canceling esp after latest price bump. Rather just pay the random month here and there when a few releases build up but overall not married to any besides narcos and mind hunter. The latter prob never coming back

Yep, I'm thinking a 4 to 6 month break from Nf and using a month or 2 of apple tv, hbomax and diz in its place before cancelling them. I don't see any downside. While it's only $100 bucks a year and dropping it won't make a dent in my budget, it drives me nuts to pay for stuff that I don't use.  

Plus from what I can tell about apple tv they incentivize dropping and coming back with their release a new episode every week policy like network tv. Would much rather stream when I want to watch. 

Edited by Chopper

On 2/13/2021 at 1:52 PM, Deej said:

Just watched the new series on the Cecil Hotel and the death of Elisa Lam. 

Fucking internet sleuths. 

“I’ve spent hours researching this case and I don’t agree with the coroner.”

Hours.

On 2/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, tbone_ said:

Worth watching?

No.  Well, unless you want to see why social media makes people into complete fucking morons.  I'm 3/4 of the way through this and I'm ready to strangle most of these "internet sleuths" myself.  They have ZERO critical thinking skills and are just trying to find conspiracies where there are none.

I find the history of the hotel itself interesting, but the case this doc revolves around?  JFC.  These people are fucking idiots.  Every one of them.

I hope the last episode concludes as much.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

No.  Well, unless you want to see why social media makes people into complete fucking morons.  I'm 3/4 of the way through this and I'm ready to strangle most of these "internet sleuths" myself.  They have ZERO critical thinking skills and are just trying to find conspiracies where there are none.

I find the history of the hotel itself interesting, but the case this doc revolves around?  JFC.  These people are fucking idiots.  Every one of them.

I hope the last episode concludes as much.

Ok, now I've changed my tune.  Thank god for the last episode.  This is actually a very important thing to watch if you want to understand how Qanon came about.  People get obsessed with "online sleuthing" and it's a high for them.  They convince themselves they are looking for the "truth", when the reality is they don't ever want the chase to end.

big edit: AND their dumb-shittery almost led an innocent man to take his own life.  FUCK YOU STUPID SOCIAL MEDIA ADDICT DUMB FUCKS.

Edited by Biff Tannen

On 2/13/2021 at 11:52 AM, Deej said:

Just watched the new series on the Cecil Hotel and the death of Elisa Lam. 

Fucking internet sleuths. 

“I’ve spent hours researching this case and I don’t agree with the coroner.”

Hours.

Yeah that one "internet sleuth" was so happy that he was able to get a video of her grave with someone touching it. Hey pal, you know, pretty much from anywhere in America, you could get to Vancouver and back for a few hundred bucks.  But that would require you to get out of your mom's basement.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, BayouBill said:

Holy shit they were annoying. 

Meh. Should've been made into just one episode.

Well, yeah, if they just wanted to tell the facts of the case and their conclusion based on those facts, then it's probably 15 minutes tops. 

I gotta admit, I was entertained by most of of it.  Although some of that entertainment came from laughing at the dumbass thoughts of the internet sleuths.

One of the talking head internet sleuths they showed (not one they interviewed) was an Irish guy with a channel named Mike Ohh I think. He has a super successful YouTube channel now called That Chapter, over 1m subscribers. Short 30 min rundowns of different crimes.  He puts them out pretty prolifically. He’s not into conspiracies at all and his vids are pretty cut & dry on the facts. 

100000% agree.   It was a 30 min show that they made into four episodes.   Internet sleuths made me beat my head against the wall several times.  Them going through the coroners report was especially LOL.  

Spoiler

The drinking of the water from the tank is one of the most disgusting things I have heard in a long time

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s entertaining, but I don’t see any awards. Eliza Gonzalez should win one for her body 

Think it got nominated for a globe. Probably depends on people’s opinion or Pikes acting. I’ve always found her acting too wooden and cold but folks seem to love her. Always the same character, not that that character is bad

We enjoyed the two episodes of Song Exploder that featured Hurt by Nine Inch Nails and When You Were Young by The Killers. It's based on a podcast that explores one song by an artist, how the song was created, how specific sounds in the song were created, and where the artist's head was at that particular moment. We're planning to watch the episodes that feature REM and Lin Manuel Miranda tonight. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

We enjoyed the two episodes of Song Exploder that featured Hurt by Nine Inch Nails and When You Were Young by The Killers. It's based on a podcast that explores one song by an artist, how the song was created, how specific sounds in the song were created, and where the artist's head was at that particular moment. We're planning to watch the episodes that feature REM and Lin Manuel Miranda tonight. 

that is an awesome premise. i would pay money to watch an episode on Spottieottiedopaliscious. I've read about how the song was made, but hearing it told from the POV of the people who made it would be the tits.

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

I noticed they aren’t usually picking the most well known songs for a lot of the artists. 

Hit up YouTube - look up Polyphonic  or Rick Beato for documentaries/how-tos on well known songs by a lot of artists.  They do some deep dives on certain things with some artists (although their videos are not nearly as long as the Netflix doc).

• Hook 'Em 1

Other than Narcos, and solid Spanish shows? 
I really liked Distrito Salvaje, only two seasons so you can watch it quickly.

Introduced the wife to La Casa de Las Flores, she seems to like it so far and it's pretty entertaining.

I heard La Reina del Flow was pretty good as well.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, iodeac said:

I really liked Distrito Salvaje, only two seasons so you can watch it quickly.

Introduced the wife to La Casa de Las Flores, she seems to like it so far and it's pretty entertaining.

I heard La Reina del Flow was pretty good as well.

Nice I’m working on my Spanish, and Netflix beats the hell of Rosetta Stone. 

Good stuff. I taught myself starting about four years ago and I'm basically obsessed with the language. All my phone settings are in Spanish which is why that message is always at the bottom of my posts and I'm too lazy to figure out how to get rid of it.

PM me if you want any good podcast suggestions, YouTube channels or any other resource ideas depending on how much you want to learn.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:32 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Watch any cop show on tv and you see will multiple instances of a cop's illegal behavior.  My daughter and I are fans of Blue Bloods and I don't think there is an episode where Danny doesn't smack around some suspect, or at least conduct an illegal search.  I think it's really telling that these are considered mainstream activities by law enforcement.

Yeah, I used to enjoy reading "police procedurals" including Bosch.  Bosch is a bit more ambiguous than some of the literary cops, but the whole genre has become cringeworthy to me.  Mostly because you know people eat up that whole bend/break/shatter the rules in righteous pursuit of the bad guy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It might be even better to go the other way and watch shows in English with Spanish subtitles. Netflix has lots of those. Learn to read, write and speak Spanish all at once. 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

i've been using duolingo for 85 days now and it is easily worth the price- something like $90 for a year or something. i'm legit starting to dream in spanish, lol. definitely check it out.

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Other than Narcos, and solid Spanish shows? 

Frontera Verde, La Reina del Sur. I'm a sucker for anything Escobar, esp liked Surviving Escobar. El Chapo series too.

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i care a lot. liked it. did not love it. 

Intense first half and I thought maybe it was going to be a different kind of flick. but the second half was too contrived for me.