Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

32 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The Stanford Prison Experiment was good.  Experimenter, about the Milgram shock experiment, was good too.  Both acted, not documentaries.  Watching them back-to-back fucked with mind for a little while, though. 

didn't aggy just discover that was all fake?

Edited by bschoolprof

Just finished the Staircase. Thought it did a good job of covering it and access to Peterson. I think he’s guilty but didn’t think State proved he did it. Not to mention the whole making up evidence corruption thing. 
Fyi

Collection 2 episode 36 of Forensic Files is about this death

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, Neonmoon said:

Just finished the Staircase. Thought it did a good job of covering it and access to Peterson. I think he’s guilty but didn’t think State proved he did it. Not to mention the whole making up evidence corruption thing. 

Spoiler

Agree that he's very likely guilty, but was wrongfully convicted.  

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, Neonmoon said:

Spoiler

almost finished with this,   fascinating series just because of how the case was laid out and his conviction

Anyone else watching Collateral?  Started last week when I had nothing in the queue that the wife wanted to see.  Started out good but has gotten a little preachy.  One more episode to go.

Have always been a fan of Carey Mulligan.

21 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Anyone else watching Collateral?  Started last week when I had nothing in the queue that the wife wanted to see.  Started out good but has gotten a little preachy.  One more episode to go.

Have always been a fan of Carey Mulligan.

A little preachy, but yeah, I liked it.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, deadshank said:

Watched The Battered Bastards of Baseball the other night.  Documentary about the Portland Mavericks A League baseball team in the early to mid '70s. 

Team was owned by Kurt Russell's pop.  Great watch.  

Awesome recommendation.  Really loved this documentary.  Had no idea Jim Bouton played up there.

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm about halfway through the WWII Burns doc.  Really good.

There is a PBS World War I doc/series that is very good. Came out for the anniversary.  It is 6 hours and the quality is as good as Burns.  I know it streams on the PBS app and website, but think it streams somewhere else (Netflix or Prime). 

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Cool.  I'm not sure I would have purposefully invested the time in the WWII doc if I'd known how long it was.  Now I'm glad I did.

(I thought it was just a 2-hour doc when I hit play.)

Yeah, just looked and The Great War is on Prime.  

If you want to go down the rabbit hole. Long Shadow is on Netflix, as is Armistice. Armistice is one episode while Long Shadow is 3-part series, and both are about how WWI created the conditions for WWII.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 4:22 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Ken Burns Vietnam was added recently. 

Worth watching again. 

I have been enjoying this from the perspective of learning.  I have seen tons of stuff on Civil War and WW2, but these newest documentaries on WWI, Korea, Crimean War and Vietnam are good. 

16 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I have been enjoying this from the perspective of learning.  I have seen tons of stuff on Civil War and WW2, but these newest documentaries on WWI, Korea, Crimean War and Vietnam are good. 

I just watched Long Shadow on WW1 and it was outstanding. Anyone have another rec for a WW1 documentary? 

On 6/20/2018 at 4:22 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Ken Burns Vietnam was added recently. 

Worth watching again. 

liked it a lot, and vietnam is a subject i am (was?) embarrassingly ignorant about.

the thing about nixon sabotaging peace talks to help his campaign was was infuriating shit.  i'm pissed that i had never even heard about that before.

• Like 1

liked it a lot, and vietnam is a subject i am (was?) embarrassingly ignorant about.

the thing about nixon sabotaging peace talks to help his campaign was was infuriating shit.  i'm pissed that i had never even heard about that before.

Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon were all at fault for either starting, prolonging or sabotaging that idiotic war...

I watched the trailer and immediately added it to my list.  It will now be moved up to the top of the queue.

I smoothed through both seasons, but then wondered when season 3 would land on Netflix, late May 2019.

Take your time with it.

8 hours ago, bluto said:

Just finished staircase... can be a slog but I almost think that is intentional to mirror the legal process. Remind me to never get hit with any charges. 

don't kill your wife and you should be mostly fine

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Watched Safe (w/ Dexter) and I liked it.  I prefer shows like that, that are one season long.

I agree.  It was a good Mini-Series.  It seemed like when I was growing up there were mini-series events, then Studios or whomever said we need to milk the ratings...

The Brits do it well.  There are a lot of series they have done in the recent years that are Mini-Series, or if they come back they are a new story.  I suppose the US has gotten back to this with series like Fargo, AHS, True Detective....

Luthur

The Shadow Line

Line Of Duty

The Fall

Endeavour

Jekyll

Wolf Hall

The Night Manager

Broadchurch

Innocent

to name a few...

• Like 1

Just finished Staircase.  

My take is there was MORE than enough reasonable doubt to find Peterson ‘not guilty’.  And holy crap, the Durham’s DA is crooked as shit.  

Judge Hudson’s interview in the final episode was pretty sobering.  Basically said he felt he was incident.  

Edited by Chet Steadman

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:
Spoiler

Just finished Staircase.  
  My take is there was MORE than enough reasonable doubt to find Peterson ‘not guilty’.  And holy crap, the Durham’s DA is crooked as shit.  
Judge Hudson’s interview in the final episode was pretty sobering.  Basically said he felt he was incident.  

Yes we know there was an incident but was he guilty of said incident is the question...

Edited by bob in houston
spoiler