Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

Man, I feel for these kids on the bball last chance u.  It got dusty listening to the guard, Deshaun, talk about losing his parents as a teenager and having to learn to take care of himself and grow up and not having anyone.   

As far as Joe, there’s so many talented guys that waste it.  Kid has all the talent but can’t stay emotionally stable.  That coach has a lot of patience to put up with some of the behavior.

On 3/10/2021 at 9:44 AM, BayouBill said:
  Hide contents

Agreed. They did a good job of waiting till the last episode to show what a textbook sociopath he really is. Also him saying "uhhh" before every answer in that super whiney voice during the jail interview made me hate him even more.

Yeah, Murder Among the Mormons was well done.  Lots of skipping around from person to person and going back and forth in time, but they structured it well and used enough reminder captioning that there was no problem keeping everyone/everything straight.  

Spoiler

The fact that the guy was able to fool so many people (and supposed experts in many cases) for so long was amazing.  I'd be concerned about him forging early release paperwork and walking out of prison if he's *that* good.  (Yeah, I know he can no longer use his right arm, but knowing that guy he has probably learned to do everything left-handed now.)

23 hours ago, victory88 said:

Man, I feel for these kids on the bball last chance u.  It got dusty listening to the guard, Deshaun, talk about losing his parents as a teenager and having to learn to take care of himself and grow up and not having anyone.   

As far as Joe, there’s so many talented guys that waste it.  Kid has all the talent but can’t stay emotionally stable.  That coach has a lot of patience to put up with some of the behavior.

This is a rough but really well-done season.  God bless these kids and coaches.

The scene where the assistant coach said "we're not giving up on Joe.  Where's he's gonna go, if we do?  He literally has nowhere to go." That really struck me.

14 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

We had to turn this off. It was okay but they literally tried to give each character ever single trope in the book. Couldn’t take it anymore 

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

Oh it infuriated me how stupid it was 

It was definitely stupid.   Not defending it.  I liked Georgia, or more specifically the actress who played her.    Brianne Howey. 

For those interested in seeing her without suffering the program:

x1080

Edited by pyrohornIII

Not sure what to think about this series. I liked the twist at the end but man the first few episodes moved slow. If it had been more than 6 episodes I probably would’ve bailed on it because I had a hard time staying into it. It also made me realize that Scottish accents annoy the crap out of me.

Please don’t broadcast it when a movie series has a twist. That’s a spoiler, so please spoiler tag it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Something called "The Lost Pirate Kingdom" just dropped. I don't know anything about it at all but I'm hoping it is passable to good as I not long ago went down a deep wikipedia hole on pirates. I always forget that most of that stuff happened in our quadrant of the globe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Formula 1: Drive to Survive Season 3 drops on Friday. If you haven’t watched the first 2 seasons then get started. I knew nothing about nor had little interest in Formula 1 until I watched this and now I try to watch every race. It’s an All or Nothing type production following  all of the teams during an F1 season. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Something called "The Lost Pirate Kingdom" just dropped. I don't know anything about it at all but I'm hoping it is passable to good as I not long ago went down a deep wikipedia hole on pirates. I always forget that most of that stuff happened in our quadrant of the globe.

it's like one of those history channel things - talking heads going over historical figures and events with cuts to reenactment. I'm not very far in but it seems decent for that kind of thing so far (although I think they may have oversold the "pirates liberated slaves and founded a democracy" thing in the opening spiel)

11 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

it's like one of those history channel things - talking heads going over historical figures and events with cuts to reenactment. I'm not very far in but it seems decent for that kind of thing so far (although I think they may have oversold the "pirates liberated slaves and founded a democracy" thing in the opening spiel)

Damn. I was hoping it was a documentary about Mike Leach's ouster from Tech. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Black Sails on Starz is a good series on pirates.  

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Concrete Cowboy looks pretty, pretty good. Hopefully Elba has his fastball back after Cats. 

Looks to be worth checking out. As a side note, ever since I started paying attention (brief stint riding bulls during college, a not insignificant number of bull riders were of color), black cowboys have never seemed to get their proper due. It's not uncommon to see them training their horses not to spook along major roads in smaller East Texas towns, but you never really see anything that would suggest that there are cowboys who aren't white in the media. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/16/2021 at 5:47 PM, Celery Man said:

I'm enjoying it.

53 minutes ago, lateshow said:

I'm enjoying it.

I am as well. I wish it was easier to tell with these things what is actual history, and what is a narration or interpretation of legend. I end up rewinding because I keep missing stuff while I scroll around Wikipedia. But also, on the growing list of "things I want to do and visit now that I live in North Carolina" is a whole ton of pirate shit

I am as well. I wish it was easier to tell with these things what is actual history, and what is a narration or interpretation of legend. I end up rewinding because I keep missing stuff while I scroll around Wikipedia. But also, on the growing list of "things I want to do and visit now that I live in North Carolina" is a whole ton of pirate shit

I am still watching it but handing the crown to Black Sam instead of Bart Robert’s was bullshit. Bart snuck into a Spanish treasure Armada and stole one of their treasure ships, and he took over 400 ships. When some provincial governors put a bounty on him, he remade his flag symbolizing him standing on their skulls.

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

I am still watching it but handing the crown to Black Sam instead of Bart Robert’s was bullshit. Bart snuck into a Spanish treasure Armada and stole one of their treasure ships, and he took over 400 ships. When some provincial governors put a bounty on him, he remade his flag symbolizing him standing on their skulls.

lol ratio of tits to pirate dicks getting injected with mercury so far in the show - 1:1

On 3/16/2021 at 1:55 PM, TonyTexas said:

Formula 1: Drive to Survive Season 3 drops on Friday. If you haven’t watched the first 2 seasons then get started. I knew nothing about nor had little interest in Formula 1 until I watched this and now I try to watch every race. It’s an All or Nothing type production following  all of the teams during an F1 season. 

Same here.  I wish I'd started watching F1 races 30 years ago because I find them fascinating.

On 3/19/2021 at 5:49 PM, Neonmoon said:

Last BB was good. I, like everyone else thought Netflix took them down, but in reality, it was Viacom saddling them with too much debt. 

It would have been Netflix eventually regardless, Reed Hastings was a true visionary and Blockbuster was headed by dinosaurs responding to the moves he was making that put Netflix on the path to being an iconic business that changed everything. 

• Like 1

Finished the Mormon Murder doc. It's worth the watch. Three episodes, less than an hour each.
Spoiler

Basically a con man tried to con the church invented by a con man. Also, I'm pretty sure uzi dude was a gay lover. 

Agree with others...Murder Among Mormons is a very solid documentary. Worthwhile.

Not sure about any gay business! Lol. I guess it's possible, but that dude just seemed dramatic to me.

On 3/16/2021 at 11:57 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

The Last Blockbuster is a good walk down memory lane.

The Last Blockbuster: Documentary.

Probably a bunch of nerds on here would like it, but definitely a stupid movie. I thought it would lean in more on the business and financial mechanics and timelines of Blockbusters demise, but it was a bunch of D list celebrities and video store nerds reminiscing about going to Blockbuster as a teen. The creators of this stupid show should have taken a hint and passed on the premise when Quentin Tarantino wouldn't return their call for a 30 second comment about working in a video store.

The crotchety old man who created the swamp thing movies and his unhinged zaniness was the best part of this show...and that was about 3 minutes of air time.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 3:37 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Watching the college admissions scandal right now.   What the fuck 

This. 

My kid is in the process of choosing schools.  My support consisted of saying last fall "hey figure out where you're applying and I'll give you my credit card so you can pay the application fees. "

After watching that show, I'm either 1)sane, or 2) an uninvolved parent who doesn't care.  I'm leaning toward #1 though.

On 3/20/2021 at 3:37 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Watching the college admissions scandal right now.   What the fuck 

The super rich have always been able to buy their way in. This was a way for the regular rich to do the same. I was somewhat surprised how many had to serve some jail time albeit brief. 

44 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The super rich have always been able to buy their way in. This was a way for the regular rich to do the same. I was somewhat surprised how many had to serve some jail time albeit brief. 

Matthew Modine must be desperate for work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

But it used to be done the old fashioned way

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The Last Blockbuster: Documentary.

Probably a bunch of nerds on here would like it, but definitely a stupid movie. I thought it would lean in more on the business and financial mechanics and timelines of Blockbusters demise, but it was a bunch of D list celebrities and video store nerds reminiscing about going to Blockbuster as a teen. The creators of this stupid show should have taken a hint and passed on the premise when Quentin Tarantino wouldn't return their call for a 30 second comment about working in a video store.

The crotchety old man who created the swamp thing movies and his unhinged zaniness was the best part of this show...and that was about 3 minutes of air time.

Stop it. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQyKike-ES5-yfzVoUzqZ