Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

The Last Blockbuster: Documentary.

Probably a bunch of nerds on here would like it, but definitely a stupid movie. I thought it would lean in more on the business and financial mechanics and timelines of Blockbusters demise, but it was a bunch of D list celebrities and video store nerds reminiscing about going to Blockbuster as a teen. The creators of this stupid show should have taken a hint and passed on the premise when Quentin Tarantino wouldn't return their call for a 30 second comment about working in a video store.

The crotchety old man who created the swamp thing movies and his unhinged zaniness was the best part of this show...and that was about 3 minutes of air time.

it was bad. way too long. i finally turned it off when doug benson was touring the store. i just couldn’t anymore.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 3/1/2021 at 10:17 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just finished I Care A Lot as the wife wanted to watch it.  Might be one of the worst movies I have seen just based on the piss poor writing.  It was like it was written by a 5th grader.  Too many things just “happened to happen” at the right time which is shitty writing and the way they made Peter Dinklage’s character act is so not the way it would go in real life.  I think some people here on Surly are actually in the movie business out in Hollywood.  If you are and know the person that wrote that movie please slap them up side the head for me.  Thanks. I appreciate it.  

Good concept, poor execution. With better writing and character development the plot could have been expanded into a good series. Surlywood types should make this happen.

Edited by Baconboy
  • Like 1

The Last Laugh, moving about a comic coming out of retirement after 50 years.  Chevy Chase, Andy MacDowell and Richard Dreyfuss, it’s not great but it’s a fun watch and I enjoyed seeing Dreyfuss again.   Seems like forever since I’ve seen him in anything and yea he got old.

On 3/22/2021 at 12:52 AM, DonkeyCigars said:

The Last Blockbuster: Documentary.

Probably a bunch of nerds on here would like it, but definitely a stupid movie. I thought it would lean in more on the business and financial mechanics and timelines of Blockbusters demise, but it was a bunch of D list celebrities and video store nerds reminiscing about going to Blockbuster as a teen. The creators of this stupid show should have taken a hint and passed on the premise when Quentin Tarantino wouldn't return their call for a 30 second comment about working in a video store.

The crotchety old man who created the swamp thing movies and his unhinged zaniness was the best part of this show...and that was about 3 minutes of air time.

122 seconds if I remember correctly 

Da 5 Bloods is a Spike Lee movie that sends a squad of black guys back to Nam to recover the remains of a left behind buddy and some gold they had stashed away.  It's well put together and has some pretty gory shots and a lot of dealing  with the psychoses from serving in that war on both sides.

On 3/16/2021 at 10:06 AM, Celery Man said:

Something called "The Lost Pirate Kingdom" just dropped. I don't know anything about it at all but I'm hoping it is passable to good as I not long ago went down a deep wikipedia hole on pirates. I always forget that most of that stuff happened in our quadrant of the globe.

Saw this title while idly scrolling and started watching and it and immediately was struck with how History Channel cheese it was, but somehow still watching it on episode 4, so I guess I'm hooked because even when it's Hallmark Channel level acting, pirates are awesome.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

On 3/24/2021 at 10:43 PM, Stringer said:

F1: Drive to Survive continues to be incredible 3 seasons in.

Season 3, Episode 9 is just unbelievable shit.

started this not that long ago but halfway through this season and it's phenomenal.

are the other 2 seasons this good?

Concrete Cowboy was well done, if a bit predictable. Partially true story of urban horse riders in north Philadelphia facing land development one on side and neighborhood drugs/crime on the other. Idris Elba, Method Man, and the Stranger Things kid star. One review said it would have been better as a documentary, which is probably true. They actually do use a few real-life riders from the area, who give interviews over the end credits.

• Hook 'Em 1