Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

I’m only halfway through Army of the Dead but it’s incredible that Tig Notaro (helicopter pilot) filmed her scenes without any other actor except for 1 scene. The entire movie had been filmed with Chris D’elia in that role but he got caught talking/maybe more with underage women so they had to remove him.

Once you understand that they added her afterward, you can spot the tricks on how they did it.

Dave Bautista claims to have not even met Tig yet.

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Watched that over the weekend. Man they had some gay man live action that was out of control. I think they could have toned that part back just a bit.

Well, just imagine if it was as crazy as the actual time period.  I thought it was intense, too, but you didn't see any naked dongs from what I recall.

21 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Season two wasn’t bad but I liked season one better.

Same here. Season 1 was was some weird shit, in a good way. Season 2 is like they copied the black mirror dystopian model.

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

High on the Hog is good so far, a few episodes in. Travel/cooking doc exploring the African American roots in American cuisine.

Didn’t love the host. His on-screen inexperience was noticeable. There is a talented chef who’s been on Top Chef a couple of times named Eric Adjepong. Eric’s parents immigrated from Ghana and he is really focused on foods that High on the Hog spotlighted.  At least the host wasn’t Emanuell Acho. 

I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Aziz is barely in it. The season is centered on Lena Waithe
I got excited. But yeah, he was in it for 2 episodes for brief moments. It still wasn't that bad as I got into the story but it was not the same without him leading the way.

52 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I really enjoyed Season 2.  Season 1 set the stage.  Season 2 rock and rolled.  Just wish the season was longer.  How long until season 3 now?

Agreed it was good and wish the season was longer.  It's been top 5 all weekend on Netflix so I suspect the turnaround for new seasons or longer seasons will start happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

We finished up The Sinner earlier this week. I loved it. Bill Pullman was awesome. Season 4 looks be be coming out this year.

We started The Stranger yesterday. 2 episodes in. It's a UK mini series show. Really good so far.

And I have watched a handful of Netflix original crime docs. They are good overall but usually drag on way longer than needed. And too much filler. There was one about about a murder from 2001 from someone Peterson and it was 13 episodes. Could have been done in half the time.

I'm going to guess people's mileage may very on him, but I liked Bo Burnham's new special "Inside". He filmed, wrote, shot, and edited the whole thing in quarantine. It's pretty funny at times and also kind of an interesting look at a really smart, creative guy trying not to lose his mind. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 7:08 AM, bernorange said:

I really enjoyed Season 2.  Season 1 set the stage.  Season 2 rock and rolled.  Just wish the season was longer.  How long until season 3 now?

I liked it OK, but the acting...it’s like all the actors were made out of wood. Maybe that’s just how they roll up there.

On 6/4/2021 at 5:46 PM, UncleSonny said:

I'm going to guess people's mileage may very on him, but I liked Bo Burnham's new special "Inside". He filmed, wrote, shot, and edited the whole thing in quarantine. It's pretty funny at times and also kind of an interesting look at a really smart, creative guy trying not to lose his mind. 

Yeah that was great

We started the second season of Dear John last night and it was pretty good.  I am not familiar with the real life events it is based on but Amanda Peet is doing a real good job of coming off as bat shit crazy.  Christian Slater is the husband.

1 minute ago, Hozz said:

We started the second season of Dear John last night and it was pretty good.  I am not familiar with the real life events it is based on but Amanda Peet is doing a real good job of coming off as bat shit crazy.  Christian Slater is the husband.

Watched it this weekend. Not bad. Thought I'd end up disliking Betty, but damn if that fucker wasn't gaslighting the shit out of her. 

4 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Wife and I watched Ep 1 and had the same reaction - neither one of the main characters is likeable, which is totally unlike Connie Britton in Season 1 - you wanted to like her. If someone just wants a good, easy-to-watch drama with relatable characters, Season 2 is probably not for them.

SIAP Lupin Season 2 premieres this Friday.

On 6/5/2021 at 6:03 PM, Dilligas said:

Anyone watching Sweet Tooth? Found myself strangely drawn in, although I’m usually more into a graphic violence, profanity and sex themed series.

Wife and I are a few episodes in.

Digging it so far.  Who the F thinks of this shit, lol?

the kid who plays Gus is a good little actor.

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Watched The Woman in the Window the other night. It was alright I guess. Amy Adam’s does a good job. Also get a nice bathtub scene with her. I guess watch it if you’re bored but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it 

I'd give it the same vote.  Also Adams looked very frumpy in this.  Not just her character isn't wearing makeup frumpy, but she packed on some lbs as well.  I'd still nail her, but I would easily last a minute.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/4/2021 at 4:46 PM, UncleSonny said:

Glad to see someone else has seen this - it's pretty amazing considering that it was written, performed, filmed, edited, and produced all by Bo over the course of a year-plus while in lockdown. The first half is pretty funny with some good songs, the back half (after the intermission) gets pretty real and dark and inside Bo's head.

So far they've put a couple of the songs on YT

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

On 6/9/2021 at 2:27 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

I'd give it the same vote.  Also Adams looked very frumpy in this.  Not just her character isn't wearing makeup frumpy, but she packed on some lbs as well.  I'd still nail her, but I would easily last a minute.

On 5/14/2021 at 9:56 PM, Neonmoon said:

The Woman in the Window

Pretty good. Every actor does a good job of playing their role. Amy Adam’s does a great job carrying it. 

On 6/9/2021 at 2:15 PM, Fletch said:

Watched The Woman in the Window the other night. It was alright I guess. Amy Adam’s does a good job. Also get a nice bathtub scene with her. I guess watch it if you’re bored but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it 

Man, so I just happened to read this crazy article about how the writer of The Woman in the Window is as pathologically insane as the characters in the book. He lied about his mom dying, he's lied about his degrees at Oxford, he lied about spine surgery and having cancer and faked emails to bosses to get better jobs, etc. It's completely nuts: https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/2/4/18210595/dan-mallory-woman-in-window-aj-finn-new-yorker-profile

That said, I had to pick up the book and read it.

Surprisingly, this guy is a pretty talented writer. His sassy-smart tone worked well I think with this woman protagonist, but it got to be a bit one note. Even when one note is really good, you need other notes to keep it feeling fresh, you know?

So, I thought about halfway through the book, let me check out the first half of this movie on NFLX, and compare. Unfortunately the first 30 minutes into the movie, it was so sloppily telegraphed that I guessed the twist. That was kind of a bummer.

So, I just quit the movie and finished with the book. It was a fine book, an interesting thriller which I thought was commendably structured. I enjoyed the books call-backs and pastiches to Hitchcock and the dozens of black-and-white movies that obviously influenced this story. The writing was well done which was needed because the story was a bit reductive.

Anyways, read about this kook who wrote the book though, if you've seen the movie. Crazy how he was just writing about what he knew (e.g. creating fake google gmail accounts, etc.): https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/feb/05/bestselling-author-of-the-woman-at-the-window-lied-about-having-cancer

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

Interesting. I knew nothing going in so there were enough twists and turns to keep me engaged but a lot of telegraphed shit too. Perfectly average movie in general 

The book was not nearly as telegraphed and was well crafted in a lot of ways, but with thrillers/mysteries it's nearly impossible to do something truly original that we haven't seen before and don't have at least some present-awareness as we watch of all the potential tropes or techniques. So that makes it hard to not see all the indicators and not always the fault of the creator, if you are hard-boiled men like us. IMO, anyways.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Like 1