Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

guess the market agrees with me.

i've said this several times, but their most watched shows were not netflix-owned shows, and once they started losing series that folks rewatched (the office, friends, mad men, west wing, etc) they were in trouble.  they only have a few flagship properties that people wait for, and then they binge them like with ozark this weekend - that's not good for building/keeping subscribers.

so to replace the shows other people owned, they overpaid for big showrunner deals (shondaland, kenya barris, ryan murphy) and just expected them to churn out classic, rewatchable content.  shit don't work like that.

i wouldn't be shocked if netflix is a lower tier streaming service inside of 18 months.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i've said this several times, but their most watched shows were not netflix-owned shows, and once they started losing series that folks rewatched (the office, friends, mad men, west wing, etc) they were in trouble.  they only have a few flagship properties that people wait for, and then they binge them like with ozark this weekend - that's not good for building/keeping subscribers.

so to replace the shows other people owned, they overpaid for big showrunner deals (shondaland, kenya barris, ryan murphy) and just expected them to churn out classic, rewatchable content.  shit don't work like that.

i wouldn't be shocked if netflix is a lower tier streaming service inside of 18 months.

Aren't they all going to be shit as networks continue consolidating their libraries for their own streaming services? 

On 1/18/2022 at 10:01 PM, MAROON said:

Very much enjoying The Defeated.  

Yeah I liked this too. Didn't realize the lead was the actor who played Tim Riggins. (on a separate note, amazon has made it difficult to use imdb) I may have to see if that Nina Hoss (Elsie) is in anything else that looks good. She's hot.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:28 PM, henrygandorf said:

Netflix still has by far the most subscribers especially when you consider that #2 is Prime and most of their subscribers are because its bundled with delivery. Netflix's problem is it's reached peak penetration in the US, everyone that would get Netflix has it. Stock price of course isn't tied to anything logical like performance or quality but driven by pure speculation. They will need to expand in Asian markets to get their price back up so expect way more bollywood shows.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:07 PM, Sbbruin said:

Jim Gaffigan’s new stand up is, um, not funny.

Really?  I thought it was the best one he's done since probably Obsessed.

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I thought some of his older stuff was pretty funny.  

watched Nate Bargatze’s new special, and thought it was funny as hell.

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

It was probably the weakest of Nate’s specials too, imo. Tennessee Kid is so good. 

I like all of Nate's stuff, but I still think he peaked with Full-Time Magic, which I'm not even sure where that one is streaming if at all.  I think it was on Comedy Central or something back in the day before he really blew up.

7 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Netflix still has by far the most subscribers especially when you consider that #2 is Prime and most of their subscribers are because its bundled with delivery. Netflix's problem is it's reached peak penetration in the US, everyone that would get Netflix has it. Stock price of course isn't tied to anything logical like performance or quality but driven by pure speculation. They will need to expand in Asian markets to get their price back up so expect way more bollywood shows.

Based on my wife and her friends, what Netflix really needs is more Korean sitcoms/romcoms/dramas/etc.  I am half-expecting one of these days, we hang out with some of her friends and all of the sudden they break out into Korean and us husbands are like "what the fuck do we do now?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tom said:

Really?  I thought it was the best one he's done since probably Obsessed.

I like all of Nate's stuff, but I still think he peaked with Full-Time Magic, which I'm not even sure where that one is streaming if at all.  I think it was on Comedy Central or something back in the day before he really blew up.

Nate hits a sweet spot because you can watch him with your kids.  I like the Jeselniks and Mulaneys of the world but what Nate is pulling off is pretty unique.  He’s just a funny dude. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Nate hits a sweet spot because you can watch him with your kids.  I like the Jeselniks and Mulaneys of the world but what Nate is pulling off is pretty unique.  He’s just a funny dude. 

For sure.  He's literally one of the best right now in the game and he's appropriate for pretty much anyone.

Although I wouldn't really put Mulaney and Jeselnik in the same box.  Mulaney swears, but he's not dark or dirty at all.  He's fairly PG 13 with only a few extra allowances of the F word.

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Based on my wife and her friends, what Netflix really needs is more Korean sitcoms/romcoms/dramas/etc.  I am half-expecting one of these days, we hang out with some of her friends and all of the sudden they break out into Korean and us husbands are like "what the fuck do we do now?"

They spent half a billion in Korean content last year so Netflix is definitely ramping things up there. I can see why Surly's demo might think Netflix is on the downswing but it's providing a lot of content that the rest of the world is watching.

Edited by AngryDragon

On 1/21/2022 at 1:28 PM, henrygandorf said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hulu_original_programming

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Netflix_original_programming

Look at both lists. Would anyone honestly choose Hulu original over Netflix right now if they only pick one?

That’s true of Gaffigan too. My kids love him. I thought the latest special was better than the previous one.

Brian Regan has always been in the kid-friendly category too, but he’s been on a slide for a few years unfortunately. He used to be my favorite.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

when did i say hulu had better original content?

This. Hulu has better older/current series to rewatch and anything on Fox/NBC/ABC/FX is next day on Hulu (and no commercials if you pay for it so beats DVR). Netflix has better original content, but it’s easy to forget about Netflix with long delays between shows 

Edited by Js1

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

This. Hulu has better older/current series to rewatch and anything on Fox/NBC/ABC/FX is next day on Hulu (and no commercials if you pay for it so beats DVR). Netflix has better original content, but it’s easy to forget about Netflix with long delays between shows 

I don't know how it's happened, but Seinfeld (all 9 seasons) is still on Netflix which is awesome. I'd assume Peacock or Hulu or the original owner of the "masters" would have yanked them by now.

I'm still old schooling the DVD's by mail.  Is there another service that competes with them with as broad a selection?

I am actually kind of surprised that they still do the mail stuff, but given the issues you touched on, maybe that business provides them with a bit of a backup.

I'm still old schooling the DVD's by mail.  Is there another service that competes with them with as broad a selection?
I am actually kind of surprised that they still do the mail stuff, but given the issues you touched on, maybe that business provides them with a bit of a backup.

giphy.gif
You may be the only one on earth doing DVDs by mail
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, TurkeyChew said:

I don't know how it's happened, but Seinfeld (all 9 seasons) is still on Netflix which is awesome. I'd assume Peacock or Hulu or the original owner of the "masters" would have yanked them by now.

it happened because they agreed to a 5 year deal worth half a billion to carry the show.  it's only been on netflix for a few months.

seinfeld is owned by sony which doesn't have a streaming service to my knowledge, so there's no one to "yank" the shows.

no one else is yanking shows either, they're just letting contracts expire and making more friendly deals (warners, nbc, viacom, etc).

like others have said, hulu's tv show library is the best and it's not even close.  i watch a lot of reruns in the background of my life and before we go to bed, so hulu gets a lot more play in my house than any other service.  a few years ago, netflix realized they didn't own their most watched shows - tv reruns.  hulu noticed this also.

• Hook 'Em 2

It's always been less about who owns what and who (HBO Max, Paramount, Peacock, Hulu, Netflix) is willing to pay for it.  Seinfeld is a good example.  WarnerMedia ponied up a lot of money for the entire South Park series, which is owned by ViacomCBS, who has their own streaming service, but you can't find South Park on it.  

Netflix paid for Seinfeld because they lost The Office (Peacock) and Friends (HBO Max).  $500 million for Seinfeld.  WarnerMedia paid $400 million for Friends.  NBC paid $500 million to pull The Office from Netflix.  It's all about money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

giphy.gif

https://www.pastemagazine.com/movies/netflix/netflix-dvd-service-plan-subscribers-discontinued-closing/

Interesting. 

Seems to me like I just need to get off the couch and get Critereon and maybe check into Kanopy.

https://screenrant.com/streaming-platforms-international-movies-television-series/

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's always been less about who owns what and who (HBO Max, Paramount, Peacock, Hulu, Netflix) is willing to pay for it.  Seinfeld is a good example.  WarnerMedia ponied up a lot of money for the entire South Park series, which is owned by ViacomCBS, who has their own streaming service, but you can't find South Park on it.  

Netflix paid for Seinfeld because they lost The Office (Peacock) and Friends (HBO Max).  $500 million for Seinfeld.  WarnerMedia paid $400 million for Friends.  NBC paid $500 million to pull The Office from Netflix.  It's all about money. 

23 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it happened because they agreed to a 5 year deal worth half a billion to carry the show.  it's only been on netflix for a few months.

seinfeld is owned by sony which doesn't have a streaming service to my knowledge, so there's no one to "yank" the shows.

no one else is yanking shows either, they're just letting contracts expire and making more friendly deals (warners, nbc, viacom, etc).

like others have said, hulu's tv show library is the best and it's not even close.  i watch a lot of reruns in the background of my life and before we go to bed, so hulu gets a lot more play in my house than any other service.  a few years ago, netflix realized they didn't own their most watched shows - tv reruns.  hulu noticed this also.

Thanks for the explanations.

I was going to scoff at unwashed masses for watching non-prestige TV reruns as a whole personality (e.g. Friends, The Office, etc.), but then I realized that literally the only thing I watch on Netflix is Seinfeld reruns. I am just another flavor of that demographic.

Edited by TurkeyChew

22 hours ago, Js1 said:

This. Hulu has better older/current series to rewatch  

I don't get that streamers don't seem to even try to build their own shows that people would want to rewatch over and over.  When you kill every show after 3 or 4 ten episode seasons, the rewatchability just isn't going to be there.  And yet based on what they're willing to pay for them, it seems like library shows with 200+ episodes are muck stickier for keeping subscribers on the hook.

Edited by WBT

10 minutes ago, WBT said:

I don't get that streamers don't seem to even try to build their own shows that people would want to rewatch over and over.  When you kill every show after 3 or 4 ten episode seasons, the rewatchability just isn't going to be there.  And yet based on what they're willing to pay for them, it seems like library shows with 200+ episodes are muck stickier for keeping subscribers on the hook.

the business is changing. 

the modern family/big bang theory type shows are pretty much a thing of the past. 

get used to 8-12 episode seasons of whatever you’re watching, and 4-5 seasons if you’re very very lucky.

the advantage moving forward will belong to those with deep libraries and those with current broadcast channels. 

hbo max is very well positioned.  curious to see what the discovery situation will bring.