Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

2 hours ago, Daichee Bell said:

These are great, but I can’t quite figure out the scheduling. Are they just mini series that pop up every so often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They show 3 episodes, roughly 90 minutes each with no commercials, every 2 years.  It's pretty much a series of movies.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RCRanger03 said:

Trying out Altered Carbon, just watched the opening episode. Nice bit of world building in ep 1 if a little rushed, very blade runnery.

I’ve watched opener twice. Can’t seem to get to second episode. 

32 minutes ago, SA_Horn said:

Not sure I liked it enough to invest in a second episode 

I'll let you know if it picks up any steam a few episodes.

Anyone here watch the Will Smith netflix movie "Bright"?  It looked like it could be complete shit or really fun...

Edited by RCRanger03

I did not care for Altered Carbon but I think I’m in the minority on that. The acting was poor and the dialogue was sorta cheesy. I quit after ~5 episodes.

Wild Wild Country is fantastic.

End of the F***ing World was ok. Fairly easy watch with short episodes, although very dark humor.

1 hour ago, RCRanger03 said:

I'll let you know if it picks up any steam a few episodes.

Anyone here watch the Will Smith netflix movie "Bright"?  It looked like it could be complete shit or really fun...

I watched it. It was not complete shit or really fun. Somewhere in the middle. I expected more from a Will Smith movie

On 3/30/2018 at 4:15 PM, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Just finished season 2. I thought it was better than season 1. Lots of twists and turns.

Loved the second season. Wish they would have gone ten episodes. Outstanding work though the idea that the fat kid could hack the Russian military network was a bit much. Made it interesting though. 

On 4/3/2018 at 8:48 PM, OU Still Sucks said:

If you're into Santa Clarita Diet, check out iZombie. Great show, great acting, funny characters, and can get dark at time. It's not as big as their other CW shows but it's definitely underrated. 

Spot on. iZombie is a fun little show. The characters are well developed, and the writing is superb. Season 4 is currently airing on the CW, but the first 3 are on Netflix.

On 4/2/2018 at 3:15 PM, TexArcher said:

They show 3 episodes, roughly 90 minutes each with no commercials, every 2 years.  It's pretty much a series of movies.

I love the way BBC does these types of series. Each episode is long enough that they don't have to be formulaic, yet not a bunch of filler minutes. I also like the short-lived nature of the series. They can tell a story arc without wasted episodes or seasons. The Punisher, on the other hand, while great, probably could've been done in 8-10 episodes with better pacing.

Altered Carbon.  Very unmemorable.  For something so right up my alley (futuristic sci-fi), I honestly forgot that I invested 8-ish hours watching it a couple of months ago until mentioned above.  At least the hot, female detective has a couple of, uh, nice scenes.

Wild, Wild Love was pretty awesome.  Can't believe I'd never heard about any of the stuff that went on until seeing the doc.

8 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Altered Carbon.  Very unmemorable.  For something so right up my alley (futuristic sci-fi), I honestly forgot that I invested 8-ish hours watching it a couple of months ago until mentioned above.  At least the hot, female detective has a couple of, uh, nice scenes.

Wild, Wild Love was pretty awesome.  Can't believe I'd never heard about any of the stuff that went on until seeing the doc.

Altered Carbon is supposed to be a good book, but it didn’t really translate. I thought the premise had potential, but didn’t think it was well done.

10 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:

This show makes me want to smoke and drink.  

Ha, true.  Not as bad as Mad Men did.  I even bought some of those round glasses with the mirrored tops and would swizzle down some bourbon while watching.  

I'd post a photo, but you know, Imgur hates the Surly.

On 4/4/2018 at 1:05 PM, RTF Horn said:

I finished Seven Seconds last week and it was really good.  Cops kill a black teenager and try to cover it up.

Totally agree. Very good. I was hesitant to watch because the subject matter, but it wasn’t political at all, all the characters were really fleshed out. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 7:29 AM, bigcigar said:

Altered Carbon is supposed to be a good book, but it didn’t really translate. I thought the premise had potential, but didn’t think it was well done.

Altered Carbon is a great book if you like that sort of thing (I do), and the show was a fair representation.  I enjoyed it, but, as with any book nerd, I wished it was closer to the text.  It was never going to be though.  It was close enough to keep my interest throughout.  I'm curious if a second season gets the go ahead and how they handle it.  Obviously easy to get a new full cast with the nature of the tech, but I wonder if they will take it to Sanction IV from Broken Angels or if they jump straight to the third book.  

51 minutes ago, Ebeye said:

Altered Carbon is a great book if you like that sort of thing (I do), and the show was a fair representation.  I enjoyed it, but, as with any book nerd, I wished it was closer to the text.  It was never going to be though.  It was close enough to keep my interest throughout.  I'm curious if a second season gets the go ahead and how they handle it.  Obviously easy to get a new full cast with the nature of the tech, but I wonder if they will take it to Sanction IV from Broken Angels or if they jump straight to the third book.  

Yeah, there were some things that they were never going to include because they went too far, and they admitted that upfront, as did the writer.

Frankenstein Chronicles was indeed.

Finished Godless last night. Was decent. If you like westerns you will probably enjoy it, but they could have cut a lot out and made it five episodes instead of seven. A little bit lackluster overall, but it scratches the western itch and the German chick is hot. Needed more of her.

Was gonna restart Hell on Wheels, but it doesn't want to let me download them to watch later on my phone.

On 4/7/2018 at 8:29 AM, bigcigar said:

Now about 4 episodes in and not that into it. Acting is poor. 

There are lots of freaky-ass "documentaries" on there if you find that shit entertaining.  Watched a doc called "The Spirit Molecule" where Joe Rogan was "hosting" and a bunch of scientists were advocating using DMT.  Another one called "Patient Seventeen" where some crazy-ass doctor claimed he was removing alien implants from people. 

Also pretty good one called "El Fin de ETA" about the Basque separatists.

7 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Anyone watched the new Troy series?  Looks promising. 

I checked it out. Worth the watch, honestly I liked the Troy movie better but there are some liberties taken with the series that we’re interesting and not straight from the original story.