Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 2/28/2021 at 5:26 PM, TonyTexas said:

It’s not bad even though I normally don’t enjoy re-enactments. If you are interested in samurai, then read Sho-Gun by James Clavell. It is one of my all time favorite novels. 

Isn’t this the same story or at least parts of it? Ieyasu = toranaga. 

Just finished I Care A Lot as the wife wanted to watch it.  Might be one of the worst movies I have seen just based on the piss poor writing.  It was like it was written by a 5th grader.  Too many things just “happened to happen” at the right time which is shitty writing and the way they made Peter Dinklage’s character act is so not the way it would go in real life.  I think some people here on Surly are actually in the movie business out in Hollywood.  If you are and know the person that wrote that movie please slap them up side the head for me.  Thanks. I appreciate it.  

On 2/27/2021 at 12:52 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

i have no idea if there was a thread for it or was discussed 3 years ago in this thread, search is useless

The Angel (2018)

not going to ruin it for anyone, stumbled in to it cold, highly recommend.  felt like a mashup of munich meets charlie wilson's war with a dash of imitation game

history fu, spy fu, middle-east fu, airport-fu, boac-fu, bea-fu, twa-fu, el-al-fu, moletn-hot-israeli-playing-an-egyptian-female-lead-fu, austin-powers-fu, mossad-fu

joe bob says check it out

Any aardvarking?

The Resistance  Banker is ok.  Dutch movie but dubbed.  Not horribly though.  The actual mechanics they use to develop and run a substantial underground bank during WWII is a little hard to follow, which took away from the movie.    Just a lot of people doing something you knew was dangerous, so you just took their word for it.   

Finished Knightfall.  Always enjoy a well done Templar series.  Mark Hamill trades in his light saber for a broadsword.

Call My Agent was a fun series with lots of good cameos.  French dubbed.  Family Business sucked though.  

Mudbound is back.  Great movie, gritty in places.

The Quartet was a decent piece with Maggie Smith and Billy Connolly doing great work in a UK retirement home for aging musicians.   

A quirky Maggie Smith movie is The Lady in the Van.  It's on Amazon though.  

Edited by pyrohornIII

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

Biggie doc slammed and went hard. I was too young to remember that era of rap while it was happening, I feel like I missed out.

with all the mumble trash that is out there now you definitely missed out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was watching the Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan and I came to the conclusion that I would have been a pretty badass Samurai warrior if I had been alive at the time.

Lmao!

Swear I said the same thing to my wife last night when we started it...

She was like he’s a ruthless cousin as he’s going to battle against family. I said “fuck’em, they wanna act like big dogs, then they can get bit too. I’d be a badass Shogun or Daimyo! And nobody ever fucking touch my Katana or Wakizashi!”

Pretty sure she rolled her eyes

8 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Lmao!

Swear I said the same thing to my wife last night when we started it...

She was like he’s a ruthless cousin as he’s going to battle against family. I said “fuck’em, they wanna act like big dogs, then they can get bit too. I’d be a badass Shogun or Daimyo! And nobody ever fucking touch my Katana or Wakizashi!”

Pretty sure she rolled her eyes

did she not rip one of her own eyeballs out? because if not then i'm not sure she could hang. 

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

+1 for Murder Among The Mormons. Best episode is the last one.

Spoiler

Agreed. They did a good job of waiting till the last episode to show what a textbook sociopath he really is. Also him saying "uhhh" before every answer in that super whiney voice during the jail interview made me hate him even more.

The new miniseries Behind Her Eyes gets a glowing, spoiler-free review. Apparently, it has a "big reveal" near the end that the critic compares to Sixth Sense, Se7en, Crying Game, and The Usual Suspects in its impact.
Think I'll give it shot tonight.

Watched it last week.

The ending twist fucked me up, man.

Great little show.

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Watched it last week.

The ending twist fucked me up, man.

Great little show.

Not sure what to think about this series. I liked the twist at the end but man the first few episodes moved slow. If it had been more than 6 episodes I probably would’ve bailed on it because I had a hard time staying into it. It also made me realize that Scottish accents annoy the crap out of me.

I’m looking to the documentary The Last Blockbuster. Comes out a week from yesterday I think. Lots of nostalgia. And anger over the late fees lol. 

A statement on the official Facebook page for the documentary reads: “A lot of people know that Blockbuster had the chance to buy Netflix early on and they passed on the opportunity.

“In an ironic twist of fate, our movie The Last Blockbuster is coming to Netflix one week from today.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1