Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 10/9/2021 at 8:17 PM, GTX Horn said:

Watched "The Guilty" the other day with Jake Gyllenhaal. Decent enough movie for a Netflix original movie. Not great but not bad either. 

"Hey Joe, someone called and asked for you. A little gir-"

"ABBY?!? WTF ARE YOU DOING JUST STANDING THERE, COCKSUCKER? PUT HER THROUGH TO ME YOU GODDAMN PIECE OF SHIT ASSHOLE!!!!!"

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Nobody should ever watch dubbed films. Theres just too much wrong with that to even begin.

Why is it that when they dub movies in English that the actors doing the voices way overact? There is nothing subtle about it, like a slight laugh by the actor in the film comes out Bwahaaahaaa when dubbed…

Watching the dubbed version of any Netflix show along with the subtitles is quite the experience.

Often, the information directly conflicts with one another.  I just started Money Heist and after the sniper shot in episode 4 or 5, the dubbed voice of the policeman says "I recommended you give the order to shoot, I'll take the blame."  The subtitles say "I was responsible also. I will share the blame with you."  There's also comically much, much more profanity in the dubbed dialog than the subtitles.  

The only reason I can think of the difference is that the subtitles are the translation of the native language while the dubbed dialog is adjusted to better match the actor's mouth movements as much as possible.

• Like 1

“My Name” is the next Korean series to explode. On episode 3 and it’s very very good. Nothing we haven’t seen before, but all the elements that are there are the ones we typically love. Can’t throw out examples without giving the twist away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wutang75 said:

“My Name” is the next Korean series to explode. On episode 3 and it’s very very good. Nothing we haven’t seen before, but all the elements that are there are the ones we typically love. Can’t throw out examples without giving the twist away.

Loving My Name so far, about 5 episodes in. 

• Like 1

There’s all kinds of shenanigans that happen during dubbing of movies. For example in the 1983 movie “Class” with Rob Lowe and Andrew McCarthy, in the original movie in English, McCarthy’s character is Jonathan, but in the Spanish dubbed version, his name is Jonathon with an “o”. And it’s not just that they change the character’s name. At one point in the movie somebody asks him why his parents named him Jonathon with an “o”. I don’t know what the original dialog is, but they changed it.

There’s all kinds of shenanigans that happen during dubbing of movies. For example in the 1983 movie “Class” with Rob Lowe and Andrew McCarthy, in the original movie in English, McCarthy’s character is Jonathan, but in the Spanish dubbed version, his name is Jonathon with an “o”. And it’s not just that they change the character’s name. At one point in the movie somebody asks him why his parents named him Jonathon with an “o”. I don’t know what the original dialog is, but they changed it.

this story could be a movie of its own!

You Season 3 just didn't hit the same way as the first season.  I wasn't in love with it. The ending with him and Love was strong but it felt weak in the middle.  

Not sure if it was just my mindset/mood when watching it but I found myself bored and looking at my phone too much at times during the show.  Also, does Joe just become obsessed with every single girl he meets?  I never felt any chemistry between him and the library chick other than we need someone for Joe to like this season.

On 8/30/2021 at 10:31 PM, utxmike05 said:

Clickbait series was pretty entertaining  

I finally got around to watching it.  I will give it a 7 since it got me to binge many of the episodes.

Spoiler

for a thriller mini-series, I think it was weak to have us meet the murderer in the last episode.  

I really liked Midnight Mass. It’s got a Stephen King vibe and it’s a bit of a slow burn but the story gets wild. Best to go in not knowing anything. It’s not super scary but it does have some gore.

The guy who plays the priest is excellent, as is the villain. I can’t believe the premise hasn’t been done before.

7 one-hour episodes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I really liked Midnight Mass. It’s got a Stephen King vibe and it’s a bit of a slow burn but the story gets wild. Best to go in not knowing anything. It’s not super scary but it does have some gore.

The guy who plays the priest is excellent, as is the villain. I can’t believe the premise hasn’t been done before.

7 one-hour episodes.

I really liked it as well. Last two episodes were nuts.

Spoiler

When Riley took Erin out onto the water so he couldn't avoid his death was such a good scene. They way they jumped from his passing on from his perspective to Erin screaming was dope.

• Like 1

Murphy Mason is back.   I watched it, but it wasn't the best season.  Looks like they are setting up for Season 4.

I liked sex ed.   It's a great show that addresses so much concerning sex and relationships in these schools and communities that want to push only abstinence.  

Love on the Spectrum and Atypical taught me a lot about autism.  I am glad those were made. 

It just seems at odds that Netflix is standing up to that norm and putting these messages out, but at the same time, Netflix caves on nudity censoring.     Every woman who has sex on Netflix does so in a bra.     Makes it all kind of watered down.   Euphoria on Amazon didn't have a problem with it.   Just so hypocritical to me, is all.   

On 10/2/2021 at 7:54 PM, wutang75 said:

The Chestnut Man is great after 3 episodes. “Nordic” Crime shows rarely miss for me.

I'm really enjoying this.  Production value an details are top notch.  Has a little Se7en vibe.

just finished the Haunting of Hill House based on recs in this thread...i have to say that was extremely well done. every ep had an entire film's worth of genuine fright moments. i jumped. a lot. lol.

well acted, especially the women... and is it me or did Henry Thomas grow up to have a weird face? 🤨 almost looks like botched plastic surgery or something, his mouth is shaped weird.

anyway, for a horror show it packed a surprisingly emotional punch in the end. the 'bent neck lady' reveal was legit 'holy shit!'