Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 4/7/2022 at 12:30 PM, Post Oak said:

Comes out next week. Great cast with a better story. 

Can't wait.

The guy playing Churchill in this film gave the most amazing portrayal of Falstaff I've ever seen in The Hollow Crown episodes of Henry IV parts 1 and 2.

If you enjoy Shakespeare at all, it's well worth the watch.  Hiddleston was also terrific as Henry of Monmouth.

On 4/7/2022 at 12:30 PM, Post Oak said:

Comes out next week. Great cast with a better story. 

Can't wait.

The guy playing Churchill in this film gave the most amazing portrayal of Falstaff I've ever seen in The Hollow Crown episodes of Henry IV parts 1 and 2.

If you enjoy Shakespeare at all, it's well worth the watch.  Hiddleston was also terrific as Henry of Monmouth.

On 4/2/2022 at 6:58 PM, atomheartbevo said:

There's this British boy band from like 10 or so years ago that you should check out.  One Direction ?? I think is their name, and they have this guy in it, Louis Tomlinson, that sounds right up your alley.

He’s big as a solo artist with high school girl right now. A couple of months ago I stood in line all day for one of my nieces (she had a big test at school) so she could get close to the stage. I was there at 7:30 and was probably 200th or so in line. The girls in the front were there before 6. If the venue hadn’t been in downtown Oakland, I’m sure people would have camped out over night. 

Russian Doll Season 2 recently dropped.  I really liked the first season, but season 2 was messy and convoluted.  Season 1 was also three years ago but I feel like I definitely remember them ending up in different multiverses or something where the other one didn't know about the Groundhog Day loop.  Now it seems like they started back off in season 2 where they were both familiar with each other again.  I was probably looking down at my phone and missed some important detail that explained it, or I'm just flat out misremembering how season 1 ended, but either way I wasn't super impressed with the whole thing.  

Edited by Tom

I don't know.  That was probably that moment I was talking about where I was either looking at my phone or not remembering properly.  Regardless of whether that one thing was explained, I still thought season 2 was less enjoyable overall.  I did like that they found a new angle for this season and didn't just go back to repeating the same thing as season 1.

Edited by Tom

6 hours ago, Tom said:

I don't know.  That was probably that moment I was talking about where I was either looking at my phone or not remembering properly.  Regardless of whether that one thing was explained, I still thought season 2 was less enjoyable overall.  I did like that they found a new angle for this season and didn't just go back to repeating the same thing as season 1.

Definitely less enjoyable. We gave up on it after two episodes. Disappointing as I seem to recall enjoying S1.

I never saw this when it first came out in 2019. Black Earth Rising is an 8 episode story with John Goodman and a bunch of British actors. It is about the prosecution of international war criminals for their crimes in Rwanda. It is a hard subject but it is told so well and when they go into the genocide violence, they use animation to detach the viewer from it. I appreciated that as I wanted to learn about this subject matter but find it so hard to take in. Goodman is so good in this role. I was quite impressed with his performance. It is a thriller with a plot twist and good action. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Would someone please watch the pentaverate and report back if there’s any bit of cleverness to it or just indulging Myers for content. 

I binged it tonight.  It was quick to get through and light like most of his stuff.  Think Mike Myers does "Don't Look Up"  Or "Idiocracy."    It's a big swipe at social media and how it's been used to cultivate conspiracies.  So not to CR anything, but if you didn't like either of the movies I just listed, you probably won't enjoy this one.  

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Would someone please watch the pentaverate and report back if there’s any bit of cleverness to it or just indulging Myers for content. 

I looked at the reviews for this purpose. They were not kind. Pass. 

Myers lost his funny about 20 years ago.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:15 AM, pyrohornIII said:

I binged it tonight.  It was quick to get through and light like most of his stuff.  Think Mike Myers does "Don't Look Up"  Or "Idiocracy."    It's a big swipe at social media and how it's been used to cultivate conspiracies.  So not to CR anything, but if you didn't like either of the movies I just listed, you probably won't enjoy this one.  

Wait, you know people that don't like Idiocracy?   I bet these people also have 15 kids, just like the movie predicted.

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Watched Operation Mincemeat.  Really good.Based on a true story of the Brits conning Hitler in WW2.

Colin Firth, Matthew Macfadyen and the ever lovely Kelly Macdonald.  

It's worth the watch.

I enjoyed it as well.  However at points the dialog was so heavy it was hard to follow.  I felt I missed some of the details of the plot, especially in Spain.  But still it held together and got the point across.   We had watched Imitation Game (again) the night before and that's another good movie about WW2.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched Mustang Island last night.  Netflix calls it quirky.  They got that spot on.   It's like cinema minimalism.  We went into it blind and it took at least half the movie to figure out what was going on, but by then we were hooked.  

I'll spoiler a review of it, if you feel you want to go in a bit better prepared than we were.  But maybe the fun is in letting the thing come to you.

Spoiler

Instead of a midnight kiss on New Year’s Eve, Bill (Blair) unexpectedly receives a kiss-off from his girlfriend Molly (Karrasch). Thus begins Bill’s spiral of post-breakup depression, an all-consuming pity fest into which he sweeps his brother John (Merriman) and their best-bro pal Travis (Newman). Bill’s obsession with winning back Molly takes the threesome to Texas’ Gulf Coast town of Mustang Island, where Molly’s parents own a vacation home and Bill suspects she might be staying. Locating the house after much effort, they find it empty, so they break in and set up camp. Now aimless, they drift along eating and drinking. Eventually, a waitress named Lee (Eddy) catches John’s eye, and Bill tries to help his tongue-tied brother by inviting Lee to join them at a party to which they’ve just been invited. But sparks soon erupt between Bill and Lee, proving the old saw that love arrives when you’re least expecting it. Complications, of course, ensue.

Based on their award-winning short “Molly,” the Austin-based Pepper Island production company (director and co-writer Craig Elrod; cinematographer and co-writer Nathan Smith; and co-producer Michael Bartnett who, in full disclosure, is The Austin Chronicle’s digital strategist) has fleshed out their short film into a feature-length comedy. Filmed in luscious black and white, Mustang Island is a millennial comedy of manners that also doubles as a superlative acting showcase for real-life couple Macon Blair and Lee Eddy. Blair’s comically doleful countenance has been seen in such films as Green Room, Blue Ruin, and Pepper Island’s previous feature The Man From Orlando, but Eddy, a heralded mainstay of the Austin stage, needs to be given more leading film work because the unlimited expressiveness of her face and demeanor seem to be made for cinema. Merriman, as well, is a comic actor whose expression never fails to amuse, and he adds an unspoken twinkle to the proceedings whenever he’s onscreen. Mustang Island, which received a special jury prize at the Dallas International Film Festival this past spring, deserves to be seen in all 49 other states after wrapping up this week’s Austin theatrical debut.

On 5/13/2022 at 5:14 AM, Post Oak said:

Watched Operation Mincemeat.  Really good.Based on a true story of the Brits conning Hitler in WW2.

It's worth the watch.

Thanks for the rec. We agree that it was worth the watch.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:17 AM, pyrohornIII said:

I enjoyed it as well.  However at points the dialog was so heavy it was hard to follow.  I felt I missed some of the details of the plot, especially in Spain.  But still it held together and got the point across.   We had watched Imitation Game (again) the night before and that's another good movie about WW2.  

Love The Imitation Game. Absolutely deserved its accolades. Solid supporting cast where, off the top of my head, I don't think anyone was extraneous and all fit into their characters adroitly. Every once in a while in one of her films, I get or would get this feeling of  Keira Knightly acting more "Keira" than her character, but she has grown in her skill set IMO and I don't notice it anymore. I say that as just an amateur film watcher with no critical experience, but it's one of those things that once it happens, whomever is acting (while I'm watching a movie), it strikes a discordant tone and distracts me from the movie as a whole. I thought her performance was not bad at all, and Cumberbatch gave a superlative performance as well.

Back to Operation Mincemeat though....

I'll spoiler my response so don't read further if one hasn't seen it.

Spoiler

Regarding the dialogue; agree it was heavy. Since it was Netflix, there were one or two spots where we paused and ran it back a few screens. One of the hazards of getting older is we are constantly fiddling with the too loud-not loud enough volume when scenes and action levels change. That causes more issues when the dialogue is as you described, because keeping up or missing important bits gets frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, I love intricate dialogue, but your point about how things were shaking out with the briefcase in Spain, the spies, the Home Office, and the 20 Committee got a little convoluted when we had turned the volume down (due to the action scenes). They packed a lot of info about a lot of intel in a short amount of time.

I really enjoyed the scene in the bar where Montagu, Cholmondeley, Hester Leggett, and Jean were sitting at the table and puzzling out the details for the dead/not dead Major. I enjoyed it so much that I paid little attention to the bartender who.... surprise! Did anyone else see that coming? I sure didn't. But I loved all the various bits and pieces of the Major's life they constructed and just how important it was that they 'get it right.'

I was disappointed that Ivor Montagu (Mark Gatiss) was not given a little more play. It wasn't central to the story and (I guess) was supposed to be the red herring that distracted us from the intrigue of others, but if the writer had spent a touch more time on Ivor's  background and a little less on the will he or won't he scenes with Ewan and Jean I'd have appreciated it more. I love romance, but it seemed a little too dramaticy-licensey for my taste.

Those are being pretty nitpicky though. Overall it was well cast and well played and we enjoyed it. Plus, seeing two former Mr. Darcy's side by side was like greeting old friends.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 4

It's worth the watch.
Watched it this evening and it is certainly worth watch, especially if you don't know anything about it. I heard the story several years ago on Stuff You Should Know.

4 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
On 5/13/2022 at 5:14 AM, Post Oak said:
It's worth the watch.

Watched it this evening and it is certainly worth watch, especially if you don't know anything about it. I heard the story several years ago on Stuff You Should Know.

I knew nothing about it. Enjoyed it last night a lot 

On 5/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, Caddox said:

If you like mafia stuff I highly recommend Gomorrah (sp). Italian mafia show set in Naples. 

Saw this on a Reddit thread and started watching Friday. Damn good. Can’t stop pressing “next episode,”

If you liked Money Heist…..this has done the same for me. Great concept/writing/characters and the subtitles keep me focused and not rando checking my phone/tablet.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/8/2022 at 8:09 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

It's not quite funny enough. It's semi-funny. Quasi-funny. It's the margarine of funny. It's the Diet Coke of funny, just one calorie, not funny enough.

• Hook 'Em 2

More of the Letterman show dropped....i skipped to the KD episode...not bad.

Will smith, eilish, KD, elaine from seinfeld, ryan reynolds and someone else i am forgetting off the top of my head is in this rotation

Edit- it is Cardi B

13 minutes ago, Scraps said:

More of the Letterman show dropped....i skipped to the KD episode...not bad.

Will smith, eilish, KD, elaine from seinfeld, ryan reynolds and someone else i am forgetting off the top of my head is in this rotation

Edit- it is Cardi B

We watched Ryan Reynolds....he is so likeable, so funny, so very Canadian.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

We watched Ryan Reynolds....he is so likeable, so funny, so very Canadian.

Him and Blake Lively are the best Hollywood couple going. Their Twitter and Instagram feeds are hilarious. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1