Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 12/31/2019 at 7:16 AM, Hozz said:

I thought Witcher picked up a lot in episode 3 and was pretty good from there.  I have played all the games and read the Last Wish, but none of the other books.  The Triss casting is fucking absurd.  Other than that I don't have many complaints.

I also like the Witcher.  I almost gave up after 2 episodes.  But I'm glad I didn't.  Starting with episode 3, the show gets a lot better.  I also have no prior experience with the books or the video games.

22 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Messiah is pretty good so far only two episodes in.

I am enjoying it so far.  Three episodes in.  The payoff is going to be disappointing either way, I am afraid, so I am resigning myself to that and enjoying the journey instead.  Just in case....

Spoiler

My concern is that if he really is Iso/Jesus/Messiah, that's fine.  It is what it is, but also paints the show into a corner.  If this is an elaborate hoax/conspiracy, my guess is that it's going to be too far fetched to believe.  And I don't know how there is an in between, but perhaps the show will surprise me.  

9 hours ago, CDAK said:

I also like the Witcher.  I almost gave up after 2 episodes.  But I'm glad I didn't.  Starting with episode 3, the show gets a lot better.  I also have no prior experience with the books or the video games.

Read the books and played Witcher 3, so I was very hopeful. It has a cheese factor and it is not great by any means, but it is entertaining and it did improve somewhat as the season progressed, but I can understand the haters as well. I can't bring myself to recommend it as a must watch, but if you are a fan of the genre and aren't expecting a Game of Thrones level of seriousness, you might enjoy it. And some of the fight scenes are definitely badass.

i thought it was him, using one of his socks. 

That’s what I figured as well... and without him outing himself their trail was totally cold. What exactly did they do besides track him to Montreal where he left shit behind to out himself to police anyhow? What a complete waste of time.

Also, why didn’t the doc follow up on the extra hands petting the cats in one of the vids?

I liked don't fuck with cats but I really didn't find it as disturbing as everyone seems to. I mean the kid is fucked up and I'm an animal lover and it made me cringe, but I was expecting some shit that would keep me up nights.
It was well done though.

Apparently in the full video of him murdering and cutting up the Chinese guy, there was also necrophilia.

“Unbelievable” is grim, tough subject matter. But Toni Collette is a fucking badass. I’m halfway through and should go to bed, but one more episode...

This was great but not an easy watch. And if I can soapbox for a minute: this is how you get better representation from women in film and tv. Tell more great stories about great women characters and hire great actors to play them. Don’t shoehorn them in to other stories to meet some stupid SJW quota. This series is chock full of great characters and great performances by women. They are likable, unlikable, complex, and very real.
  • Like 2

This may have already been discussed since it came out almost two years ago, but I stumbled across The Dawn Wall a few days ago.  Its about Tommy Caldwell's 19 climb of the El Capitan's Dawn Wall and what lead him to his decision to attempt it.

Spoiler

I wasn't aware he and three others were kidnapped while climbing in Kyrgyzstan and held hostage for six days.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Just finished Messiah and it was great. Keeps you guessing until the end. Other than some dubious Texas geography, it’s highly recommended.

I haven’t decided if it was a mess at the end or not.  They clearly want more seasons but I don’t know how long they can dance on the head of a pin.  That said, I enjoyed it enough and will pick up Season 2 if they do one. 

On 1/3/2020 at 11:11 AM, Loco said:

The IT Crowd   ...  generally sit com funny with a few episodes that had me laughing so hard.  Moss is the man.

Check out this series (have to find the rest on YouTube).  Moss is playing himself, and it features Matt Berry from IT Crowd and What We do in the Shadows

On 1/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, BBQ2Bayou said:

I liked don't fuck with cats but I really didn't find it as disturbing as everyone seems to. I mean the kid is fucked up and I'm an animal lover and it made me cringe, but I was expecting some shit that would keep me up nights.

It was well done though.

Very well done, I don't even like the real crime genre but I was spellbound.

10 hours ago, Scraps said:

I've been watching this Rust Valley Restorers and they do some good work, but man they are some dipshits lol.

I also can't unsee Avery as the real life Coach Steve from Big Mouth 

It's like watching some weird alternate-universe show where Dee Snider and Ron Jeremy moved to Canada and started building cars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched Don’t Fuck With Cats last night. Really enjoyed it but I ended up hating the two amateur internet sleuths. What a couple of self righteous loser douchebags with way too much time on their hands. Y’all didn’t do shit. And the ending soliloquy where she asks if we are complicit by watching the documentary? Fuck off.

• Like 1

Watched Don’t Fuck With Cats last night. Really enjoyed it but I ended up hating the two amateur internet sleuths. What a couple of self righteous loser douchebags with way too much time on their hands. Y’all didn’t do shit. And the ending soliloquy where she asks if we are complicit by watching the documentary? Fuck off.

53 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Yes she was annoying as fuck

Happy Valley.

Name is odd as there is nothing happy about this show and I didn't see a valley ... anyway I can take or leave police/crime shows but the Brits do it very well (Line of Duty another).  Acting is fantastic, writing is as well, interesting plot twists.  The BBC crime shows just seem to be more realistic than US versions, they aren't afraid to get hardcore in what they show, killing off characters as necessary to fit the plot.

Season 1 has a little Fargo feel to it.  Looking forward to Season 2.

• Like 3