Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 5/23/2018 at 8:00 PM, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Trying to pick my next show. Anyone care to give thoughts on these?

Anon - The Mechanism - Spotless- Mute

The first 2 episodes are painfully slow, but after that it gets better, much better.  really fuckin' good series, the brazilians do not disappoint.

• Like 1

I finished Dark about a week ago. Pretty good. Don’t watch with the English dubbing on. It just make everything seem so cheap.

Now I’m on to Babylon Berlin. Also good.

How do you watch without dubbing? I turned this on and then saw the dubbing and got pissed and couldn’t watch.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:35 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

Anyone dived into the RFK docuseries yet?At 4 eps, I’ll get to it, but was wondering if it was network quality or some tinfoil hat wearing production company. 

The first three episodes were great, but sad.  Only the fourth episode focuses on Sirhan² and conspiracy theories. 

A couple of Australian series.  The first is Wentworth.  It's about a women's prison. These women can be funny sometimes, but they can be brutal as fuck.  Great series with good drama.

The second is Rake.  This is about an Australian barrister (attorney) who has the weirdest and sometimes hilarious cases.  

Check these out.  You won't be disappointed.

On 5/23/2018 at 2:44 PM, bularry1 said:

watched this the past week.

for the life of me, I can't remember any of that shit except the initial collar bomb incident.  it wasn't that long ago, seems like I should recall those news stories.

Same here.  When I saw what it was about I went "Wait - they solved that? How did I not know that?". All I remember was seeing that poor guy sitting there with the bomb collar on and the police were (understandably) not able to do anything about it.

On 5/26/2018 at 12:27 AM, Kevin O’Shea said:

Hide contents

For all the effort that went into making the scavenger maze and devices, the heist plan was terrible. How did they think that they would be able to get the money from Wells? There were cops on him from the get go. It’s funny to think they would have only received whatever amount was in the register if it somehow worked out.

Yep.  I kept waiting for them to address this somehow in the documentary but I don't think they ever did.  Really the only flaw I could name in an otherwise outstanding show.  I guess the point really was just for the cray lady and smartest guy in the room to manipulate people?

Edited by El Guapo

Spoilering a question about Evil Genius for those that watched it.

Did I miss something, or didn't the FBI agent say they had a solid witness who testified that he nearly ran into Well's car coming out of Rothstein's driveway the night before the heist? At the end they concluded that Wells wasn't part of the plot but I don't think they ever tied up that loose end other than a casual "maybe he delivered pizza there the night before also". 

Also wtf with the FBI dismissing Rothstein as a suspect so quickly?  Because he left a note that said "this dead guy in my freezer doesn't have anything to do with the pizza bombing".  Well gee, since you wrote a note, I guess that's good enough for us! Have a nice day.

If you haven't seen it, do.  It works on a number of levels.  

Edited by El Guapo

15 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Spoilering a question about Evil Genius for those that watched it.

Hide contents

Did I miss something, or didn't the FBI agent say they had a solid witness who testified that he nearly ran into Well's car coming out of Rothstein's driveway the night before the heist? At the end they concluded that Wells wasn't part of the plot but I don't think they ever tied up that loose end other than a casual "maybe he delivered pizza there the night before also". 

Also wtf with the FBI dismissing Rothstein as a suspect so quickly?  Because he left a note that said "this dead guy in my freezer doesn't have anything to do with the pizza bombing".  Well gee, since you wrote a note, I guess that's good enough for us! Have a nice day.

If you haven't seen it, do.  It works on a number of levels.  

Spoiler

No that definitely happened.  The documentary maker was pushing the Wells wasn't in on it agenda.  Seems he was just taking a stance on innocent until proven guilty even though everyone's gut was he was in on it.  I don't know why they would have used a live bomb if he wasn't in on it.  Beyond how they were ever going to get the money from him, why kill an innocent guy and escalate everything?

They mentioned a little interdepartmental friction between the different agencies, but I get the sense that there was probably a lot.  There must have been some kind of pressure to look like they were going somewhere with the investigation and all they could think to do was eliminate suspects.  Otherwise I have no idea why the were so fast to say there is no connection.

I liked the series glad they kept it kind of short because the whole case just leaves so many questions that we will never have answers to.  That's my only frustration with the series.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, XYZ said:

I thought the title “evil genius” was deceptive. There was no genius, more like “fucked up in the head”. The whole plan was stupid.

Agree.  There was definitely plenty of evil to go around, but other than someone making the bomb none of them really showed much intelligence.  Even though everyone kept describing them as extremely intelligent.

On 6/4/2018 at 10:41 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

Agree.  There was definitely plenty of evil to go around, but other than someone making the bomb none of them really showed much intelligence.  Even though everyone kept describing them as extremely intelligent.

They mostly described themselves as extremely intelligent.

And Marj did get away with murder twice. Almost three times.

• Like 1

The latest episode of Letterman's My Next Guest Needs No Introduction is a great interview with Howard Stern.  Also, there's a bonus episode with Dave and Jerry Seinfeld.  I've enjoyed the hell out of this series.  I hope Netflix can convince Dave to do more of these.

Edited by RTF Horn

Finished Evil Genius a few nights ago.  I definitely think Wells was somewhat in on it.

Spoiler

The prostitute was the main source that cleared Wells.  Once they made it clear that she gave birth to his child, it became very obvious that she brought that story forward to protect her son and let him believe that his dad was innocent.

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Finished Evil Genius a few nights ago.  I definitely think Wells was somewhat in on it.

Hide contents

The prostitute was the main source that cleared Wells.  Once they made it clear that she gave birth to his child, it became very obvious that she brought that story forward to protect her son and let him believe that his dad was innocent.

Agreed. The fact that he wasn't flipping his shit while sitting there with a bomb strapped to him always seemed odd.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Agreed. The fact that he wasn't flipping his shit while sitting there with a bomb strapped to him always seemed odd.

I couldn't shake that either.  There's just no way that a guy is that calm in that situation if he doesn't believe it's a fake bomb.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This was all over the news when it happened. 

Good thing everybody reading this thread was old enough to be paying attention to the news back then. I mean, I don't care about the spoilers and have been reading them, but others might. How many folks didn't even realize what all went on with the Wild Wild Country doc?

Started watching a food prep show called lords and ladles. 3 Irish chefs go to old Irish castle homes and make old time dishes for a dinnner party. 

Some crazy recipes and interesting cuts of meat were consumed by the titled folks back in the 17th-19th centuries. 

So much protein. 

The calves feet jelly did not win over any guests. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Yes - "The Staircase" originally came out years ago on Sundance but Netflix got the rights to it and as I understand it, there are new episodes at the end that focus on updates that have happened since the original timeframe.

I don't want to get more detailed than that for fear of spoiling.

I'm so glad Netflix got the rights to it - it was the first true long form crime docu-series - long before "The Jinx" or "Making A Murderer" - and the documentarians were literally in the Peterson camp within days of the crime.

It's fantastic and my favorite of the genre - I watched it loads of times but it's presence on the internet had been wiped away in the last year and it was very frustrating to me because I could usually find a source to watch it with no problem.  I was actually looking to rewatch it over the holidays and couldn't find it anywhere and read where Netflix had bought it.  Then it made sense why it had been scrubbed.

I'm rewatching it currently as my "go to sleep at bedtime" documentary.