Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

I agree with others on High Score. It's a nice nostalgia trip but they focus on people I really don't care about over people and topics I actually want them to dive more deeply into. Like in Episode 3 where they have Roberta Williams and barely give a glimpse of Kings Quest, which was a huge leap in world building and RPG exploration. Maybe I'm just too much of a homer but I'd much prefer to see them dive deeper into those games than the segment with the dude who lost his game. It's similar to having the segments about the players who won Nintendo and Atari championships. Not bad but disappointing. 

i have a really tough time finding TV/movies that i enjoy. fictional drama in particular. i am that guy who finds something to bitch about with everything, but honestly i don't understand how the rest of the film viewing world can sit there and watch these things unbothered. i decided to start Ratched because of the rave reviews, many of them on this site, and i'm literally five minutes into the first episode and i'm ready to turn it off. for those of you who are into this show, how does the following not bother you?

the killer is standing in the pouring rain with nothing to cover him for who knows how many minutes, yet when he walks into the door he is completely dry. he ostensibly "dries himself off" by shaking his jacket, but the dude and all of his clothes are 100% completely dry. the same happens later when the priests return from the film. it's a monsoon outside and everyone is completely dry. 

as if that weren't enough to have me going, "what the hell?!", this dude then violently stabs several people to death- i mean really carves them up with large, pronounced stabs, manically stabbing away like an insane person and he literally does not have a single drop of blood on him.

that is so goddamn stupid. when it rains, you get wet. when you violently slash a bunch of people to pieces you get blood on you. not only was there zero blood anywhere on his body, including his hand, the knife didn't even have any blood on it aside from a small bit on the blade. he just stabbed three or four dudes to death and there's not even a drop of blood on the knife handle. completely fucking stupid. but apparently i'm the weird one for being bothered by this. makes no damn sense at all.

Edited by shadow_operative

Holy shit! The Outpost is excellent. They did a fantastic job all the way around. Script, cast, production... all 10's. The credits interviews are heart wrenching.

Edited by RPM
Simmer down youngblood

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
12 hours ago, Hook1997 said:
I watched the documentary on the outpost I think so I’ll give the movie a try.   The doc is amazing though, I forget the name right now though.  It basically shows two guys die and how they were left in enemy territory alone.

Is the doc Restrepo?

Yea I think so.  

14 hours ago, RPM said:

Holy shit! The Outpost is excellent. They did a fantastic job all the way around. Script, cast, production... all 10's. The credits interviews are heart wrenching.

YouTube has the Medal of Honor ceremonies for Carter and Romesha, and a bunch of others. I ended up watching 10-15 of them

9 hours ago, bernorange said:

When was browsing around Netflix and first saw Teenage Bounty Hunters available, I thought, damn that sounds dumb/shitty.  Then I read reviews on Surly claiming it was good.  So decided to give it a try.  I was entertained.  Bowser cracked me up.

Sounds like something I watched on Cinemax when I was 14

i liked the show through a couple of episodes, but by episode 5 the entirety of the show became about girly HS teenage relationships and the struggles of being a young Christian girl who is facing temptation in the form of sex. so, not a show about teenage bounty hunters. it had promise, but it was like the first few episodes were a set up, trying to lure you into liking the show only to make it all about girly teen drama and Christian values. next. 

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i liked the show through a couple of episodes, but by episode 5 the entirety of the show became about girly HS teenage relationships and the struggles of being a young Christian girl who is facing temptation in the form of sex. so, not a show about teenage bounty hunters. it had promise, but it was like the first few episodes were a set up, trying to lure you into liking the show only to make it all about girly teen drama and Christian values. next. 

I started it. Got about 15 minutes into the first episode, and said "nah" and turned it off. 

The House on Haunted Bly Mansion Hill, or whatever it's called, is a bit of slog. Three episodes in and not keeping my attention. Maybe it's the reverse of the first series, and gets better as it gets toward the end. 

Damnit. We were debating this or Books of blood on hulu.

On 10/6/2020 at 11:04 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Just finished Enola Holmes. Great fun movie. Netflix really needs to up their preview game when you are scrolling through the options. I would have never watched it based on the preview they show except for the recommendations on this thread.

Yeah, netflix needs to get rid of that teaser, and offer trailers and cast, etc like Amazon.

On 10/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, ernest_t_bass said:

I can't get through Last Kingdom.  Does it get better?  I may be on Season 2:3

Damn, that's one of my favorite shows.  If you are not into it the first season, then I guess I wouldn't bother.

I was one that had a hard time getting into Schitt’s Creek but I’m glad I stuck with it. The show changes for the better with the season 2 finale. It takes a completely different tone than every episode prior to it. It’s kind of a weird watch. Then when season 3 kicks in, every episode is much better than what came before it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched The Babysitter.  Only knew about it because the sequel, The Babysitter: Killer Queen is out recently.  The movie is great IMO.  Campy slasher film.  Said Babysitter is a smoke show.  I don't normally enjoy campy or slasher so my bar was very low going into this which likely resulted in me calling this great instead of just good.  Looking forward to the sequel.

On 10/11/2020 at 3:00 PM, CooterBrown said:

I was one that had a hard time getting into Schitt’s Creek but I’m glad I stuck with it. The show changes for the better with the season 2 finale. It takes a completely different tone than every episode prior to it. It’s kind of a weird watch. Then when season 3 kicks in, every episode is much better than what came before it.

Same, and I completely agree. A bunch of people on this thread had recommended to others to give it a few tries. I had never gotten through half of season 1in two tries but could tell it had potential so I started it again from s3e1 and absolutely loved every episode through the finale (which I agree was weak). Great show. 

You are right, almost two different shows between s1/2 and s3+. They gave them more heart and made them a little bit likeable and that made the jokes funnier, I think.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1