Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 7/3/2018 at 10:50 PM, Mileslong said:

Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon were all at fault for either starting, prolonging or sabotaging that idiotic war...

That was one of the things I liked about Burns' work on this documentary. He really focused on the "why we got in and why we didn't get out" aspect of the war. It should be mandatory viewing for High Schoolers.

The filmmaker approached him as they wanted to do a doc on the American justice/legal system and how it works for wealthy ppl.  Article I read said they wanted to do the state's side as well to show the whole picture but they wouldn't allow it. There was constant concern the state would subpoena the doc footage throughout the case so the filmmaker immediately shipped it to France after every reel was completed... not sure why/how that prevented anything. 

I felt it was pretty slanted toward the defense the whole way through, but what really proved it for me was...

Spoiler

After the original episodes, which never even mentioned the blood spatter on his shoes and shorts, the new episodes needed to bring it in as part of the appeal...since that one expert was one of their points of contention.  Had they been trying to tell a balanced story, they would have included that in the original episodes.  Not just conveniently used it years later when they needed it to help show the corruption for the appeal episodes.

37 minutes ago, bluto said:

The filmmaker approached him as they wanted to do a doc on the American justice/legal system and how it works for wealthy ppl.  Article I read said they wanted to do the state's side as well to show the whole picture but they wouldn't allow it. There was constant concern the state would subpoena the doc footage throughout the case so the filmmaker immediately shipped it to France after every reel was completed... not sure why/how that prevented anything. 

The state should have taken the French up on their offer because they come off as dishonest at best.    

Not ‘Making a Murderer’ Ken Kratz bad, but pretty terrible nevertheless.  

6 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I will second Fauda as being excellent, both seasons

So...this Fauda...mostly or all subtitled?

I can handle a little here and there but do I pretty much need to read all the time?  Because if that’s the case, I’ll get a book.

Not a fan of having to read that much when I’m just trying to watch some TV.

So...this Fauda...mostly or all subtitled?
I can handle a little here and there but do I pretty much need to read all the time?  Because if that’s the case, I’ll get a book.
Not a fan of having to read that much when I’m just trying to watch some TV.

It’s weird because in season 2 it has main character dubbed in English when addressing his team but subtitles when he and others speak to everyone else. If that makes sense

I felt it was pretty slanted toward the defense the whole way through, but what really proved it for me was...
Spoiler After the original episodes, which never even mentioned the blood spatter on his shoes and shorts, the new episodes needed to bring it in as part of the appeal...since that one expert was one of their points of contention.  Had they been trying to tell a balanced story, they would have included that in the original episodes.  Not just conveniently used it years later when they needed it to help show the corruption for the appeal episodes.

I guess I’m in the minority here. I don’t think he did it. I can’t believe they found him guilty in the first place. Before I knew Deaver was a lying piece of shit, I was saying during the trial episode that he was full of shit. I can’t believe the jury bought that shit.

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

I guess I’m in the minority here. I don’t think he did it. I can’t believe they found him guilty in the first place. Before I knew Deaver was a lying piece of shit, I was saying during the trial episode that he was full of shit. I can’t believe the jury bought that shit.

He seems guilty as fuck, though. 

• Like 1

Anyone watching/watched Sense8?  Surly search turned up nothing.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2431438/

Created by The Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski.  Wife (no pics) found it randomly and we try to watch an episode each night.  It’s well done, well cast, interesting story... I can say the same thing about other shows, but for some reason this one has us riveted.  Almost done with season 1.

5 minutes ago, solamente73 said:

Anyone watching/watched Sense8?  Surly search turned up nothing.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2431438/

Created by The Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski.  Wife (no pics) found it randomly and we try to watch an episode each night.  It’s well done, well cast, interesting story... I can say the same thing about other shows, but for some reason this one has us riveted.  Almost done with season 1.

Season 1 was pretty good.  I don't want to burst your bubble, but it's all downhill from here.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Season 1 was pretty good.  I don't want to burst your bubble, but it's all downhill from here.  

Does that mean it jumps the shark after season one?

Damn it's weird how many shows do that.  Seems like more do that, or the opposite (if you can fight through season one and maybe part of season 2, season 3 is amazing) than shows that start and finish strong.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Does that mean it jumps the shark after season one?

Damn it's weird how many shows do that.  Seems like more do that, or the opposite (if you can fight through season one and maybe part of season 2, season 3 is amazing) than shows that start and finish strong.

I didn't even finish season 2, so maybe I'm not the best judge of it.  I just lost interest in it.  The fact the nobody has come along and disagreed with me yet probably isn't a good sign.  

I've been thinking that same thing about how many shows just lose their way after the first season or two.  I think it must be easy (relatively speaking) to come up with a cool idea and spend a season or two fleshing out that cool idea.  But once they have to start explaining what's going on, it starts to go off the rails.  It's better when everybody is running around not knowing what the hell is happening.  Eventually, they figure it out and the show changes from the protagonist(s) being the hunted to them being the hunter.  Orphan Black was like that for me.  Westworld is another one.   I hate to admit it, but Mr Robot kind of lost me after a couple of seasons.  I feel like that one is on me (or my wife) and I (or we) need to give it another chance.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Finished season 1 last night. Love the acting, directing, and editing.  You didn’t burst my bubble; if season 2 sucks, season 1 was still worth it.

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I didn't even finish season 2, so maybe I'm not the best judge of it.  I just lost interest in it.  The fact the nobody has come along and disagreed with me yet probably isn't a good sign.  

So I used the googles to find out what might have happened (but not see spoilers).  Turns out that Lilly Wachowski ‘took a break’ from the show in the second season, resulting in writing team, directing, and production company changes.  Also, the series was canceled one month after season 2 release, but then a month later, Netflix announced that they’d make a series finale, which was released in June 2018.  Something was going on there and it doomed the series, it seems.

Finally saw the Staircase.  Not that great.  Guy was obviously guilty and the prosecution flubbed some things but the show could have been 4-5 episodes at best.  Could have easily been a 48 Hours/Dateline mystery.  Most of the episodes were people just sitting around talking.  Does anything end up on the cutting room floor anymore or do some of these shows just include everything?

Someone like Malcom Gladwell can tell twice the story in a 45 minute podcast.

5 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I've been thinking that same thing about how many shows just lose their way after the first season or two.  I think it must be easy (relatively speaking) to come up with a cool idea and spend a season or two fleshing out that cool idea.  But once they have to start explaining what's going on, it starts to go off the rails.  It's better when everybody is running around not knowing what the hell is happening.  Eventually, they figure it out and the show changes from the protagonist(s) being the hunted to them being the hunter.  Orphan Black was like that for me.  Westworld is another one.   I hate to admit it, but Mr Robot kind of lost me after a couple of seasons.  I feel like that one is on me (or my wife) and I (or we) need to give it another chance.  

it's the nature of the tv business right now.  it's all about selling a show and getting it on the air.  everyone has a "loose outline" for 4-5 seasons when they pitch it, but the reality is that a lot of these shows have a very detailed and well thought out direction for the first season, and not much after that.  in many occasions, there was never really supposed to be a second season, and the idea could've originated from a feature script, book, or play.  then when ratings are good, the network wants season 2, and everyone scrambles (because nobody ever ever says no).

in the last 3-4 months, i've watched average to shitty season 2's of westworld, goliath, handmaid's tale, 13 reasons why.  think about those 4 in terms of my above paragraph, and they weren't very hard to predict.  two were books, 13 reasons was a well conceived idea clearly meant for one season, and goliath needed to be an entirely new case, which was a big miss (in my opinion).

when a writer sells a show, there's a very long time in between writing season 1, and finding out if season 2 is a go.  in that time, they are ideally involved in lots of other unrelated projects, pitches, movie rewrites, trying to sell another show, etc.  also you have the season 1 writing staff doing likewise.  maybe they leave, or sell their own show, whatever.

it's not a coincidence that now that there are 100 networks and thousands of shows, you see a bunch of quality season 1's, and then it goes to shit. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Yes it was very good and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. If you like ripper street, penny dreadful and the like you will like it

I haven't seen those, but I liked Taboo and other works from that time period. 

On 7/12/2018 at 12:12 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Finally saw the Staircase.  Not that great.  Guy was obviously guilty and the prosecution flubbed some things but the show could have been 4-5 episodes at best.  Could have easily been a 48 Hours/Dateline mystery.  Most of the episodes were people just sitting around talking.  Does anything end up on the cutting room floor anymore or do some of these shows just include everything?

Someone like Malcom Gladwell can tell twice the story in a 45 minute podcast.

It was a Dateline/48 Hours, Discovery Channel thing.  Several of them if I recall.  My wife ate that shit up for a while and I think I saw 2 or 3 docs on it, but they were pretty simple narratives.

I haven't seen it, but I think since the Serial podcast and Making a Murderer, there's this notion in this type of show of giving all the information and letting the audience decide for itself.  Or at least doing a better job of showing the vicisssitudes and ambiguities of the criminal justice system. The point isn't to tell the story of the murder and trial.  Granted, this show long preceded Serial, but I think Serial may have created a market for this kind of thing.