John Wick 3: Parabellum 5-19-19

Parliament

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

That was awesome. Really enjoyable. Better than the second easily 

Yup. Wife and I had an awesome time. I need a count on whether nut shots or head shots won, it seemed neck in neck to me. Also, the dogs were fucking awesome. 

Thoughts 

Spoiler

The main fight scenes were really good. The knife throwing battle. The Arabian dog battle. The motorcycle ninja battle. They were incredibly enjoyable and some parts were giddily awesome like the horse kick and the axe sendoff, the dogs jumping up the wall. The ninja battle was just cool as shit. 

The ending hand combat was good but I liked the previous three fight scenes better. However, one of my favorite parts is when they continually kicked him threw the glass cases. I just kept laughing. It was over the top but tongue in cheek so Worth it. 

I think the original is probably better because of story and originality factor, but this one has some of the best fights and gun battles. 

God, I can’t wait for some asshole to say they didn’t like it because it wasn’t realistic. Yeah, no shit. It’s not supposed to be.

So I couldn't get over one thing in the movie. It's completely inconsequential but I'm spoilering anyway

Spoiler

so because I'm a crazy person I was distracted by the fact that John Wick just had to smell TERRIBLE. He's been running around New York in a rain storm fighting for his life so he's a mixture of blood and sweat and just the general stench of New York. Then he gets on a boat and goes to Casablanca wearing the same suit (because it's bulletproof) and then he wanders the desert for a day. I'm just saying, he couldn't have been pleasant to be around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

So I couldn't get over one thing in the movie. It's completely inconsequential but I'm spoilering anyway

Reveal hidden contents

so because I'm a crazy person I was distracted by the fact that John Wick just had to smell TERRIBLE. He's been running around New York in a rain storm fighting for his life so he's a mixture of blood and sweat and just the general stench of New York. Then he gets on a boat and goes to Casablanca wearing the same suit (because it's bulletproof) and then he wanders the desert for a day. I'm just saying, he couldn't have been pleasant to be around.

What about his five o'clock shadow!

The best of the series. The action is better than the 1st and 2nd, but the plot and dialogue are what really make this the best of the 3. Just the right amount of humor, and Winston's irreverence in the 3rd act keeps it all fresh.

They've also done a great job of slowly expanding the universe. I'm a fan of trilogies, but there are easily 2 more movies they could make.

Saw it today and it was fun as hell (as they all have been).

csb: I was actually at the world premiere of the first John Wick back when it premiered (with Keanu and the film makers in attendance) at Fantastic Fest in 2014. To be honest, before that screening I almost felt a little sheepish that we had chosen to watch a Keanu action movie in lieu of some of the more obscure...and most likely more badass movies they were showing at the festival. Wow...was I happy to have been so incredibly wrong. That Fantastic Fest crowd of hardened genre film movie fans can be incredibly jaded/hard to please and everyone in attendance was blown away. It’s been really cool to see how well the entire series has done. Here’s hoping to more John Wick.

csb bonus: here are two (badly focused) pictures of him I took for my wife as I was wondering the halls and lobby killing time before that screening:

193f0f355327f830378b5cdb315678b3.jpg

a9ed1e67092ff437b69acbc9c37cdf94.jpg

• Like 1

Apparently Keanu Reeves is a pretty cool cat and there are a ton of stories about him cooly interacting with fans that Robert De Niro would have run away from out of fear. That kind of stuff just makes it that much easier to dig the shit out of John Wick flicks.

Part 1 still the best because it setup the story, but this is a close second. Holy shit lot of fighting everywhere!

Opening scene with knives!

Wick and Halle with dogs!

Shotgun battle!

I love that there is this secret world of assassins, but didn’t care for the whole desert and elder thing.  

And the ending where Winston fucks John over. I get it sets up the story to go on, but that was cold as ice. At first I thought Winston was just putting on a show for the bald chic and maybe it was planned with John. 

At the Alamo the play some pretty funny “previously on John Wick” recaps if y’all make it out there. 

38 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Good, because I think the actress is a dude or something. (I got a weird vibe.)

Her wiki says she was "assigned female at birth" which is hipster dipshit speak for "she has girl parts".

Edited by ajax

saw it on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it just like all the Wick movies.  I would have liked for this movie to maybe cut a few scenes shorter in order to wrap up the storyline with Winston rather than leaving this particular line to continue for another film.  I kind of want a bit more expansion into the underworld of the private hit man scene.  

I'll be that guy.  I've only seen all of these because they're as close to chick flicks as I'll get for my old lady.  She loves martial arts/shooting movies so these have been a trade for movies I prefer.  This was the best of the 3 imo.  I thought 2 really sucked because literally, due to so many fight scenes being in the dark, you could have filmed the majority of it in a closet with a cellphone.  

I don't even try to understand it, I just watch it.  So no, you don't have to watch 1 and 2 to know what the fuck is going on.  He kills people approx. every 45 seconds during the movie.  Thats the story of 1, 2 and 3.

Just got back from the show. WOW. Seriously, what a great movie. Action scenes and choreography are are one again top notch. I loved how each scene had a different element to it - whether it was guns, knives, swords, hand to hand, etc.

I have always been impressed with the attention to detail on every gun battle though. Not a single death escapes having a blood mist. Even the ones long range. Brilliant stuff.

The only thing I didn't like was The Adjudicator. I think they really needed an older woman, someone who can really command some authority. Shohreh Aghdashloo, Catherine Zeta Jones, and others would have been better for that role, but we got a bland, horribly cast and directed, emo teenager.