Letterkenny

Al_4_ISU

10 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Have only seen the “steak debate” scene, but that it was great. What’s this show about exactly?

It's a comedy about life in a small town in rural Ontario, but it could be pretty much any small town in north America where agriculture dominates the economy.  It definitely maintains a strong Canadian ethos.  There are 5 seasons (the most recent one is the best, IMO) but only 2 on Hulu at the moment.  The others are coming.

The characters, the situations they get into, and the colloquialisms are really accurate (and absolutely hilarious) to small town life.  The show is really well written, and shot, and that rapid fire delivery and exchange you saw in the "steak debate" scene are pert near par for the course, eh?

The show developed out of a series of shorts called "Letterkenny Problems".  I'd suggest checking those out first before diving into the show.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

Give your balls a tug, ya tit fuckers.

Season 6 was excellent.  The McMurray impressions Wayne and Darry were doing at the dinner table had me about pissing myself.  If I had any criticism, it's that they fell back on extended musical shots with action, but no dialogue a few too many times.  The show continues to be the most well-written comedy still going.

Long time fan fo this show. Discovered it during some random Youtube wormhole. It wasn't available in the states until mid-last year. It's fucking hilarious. I felt like season 5 got a little formulaic - the hicks have a long rant on some overly-specific random topic (getting tacos in LA), then there's a reason for a fight, fin. But S6 brought some good character development back in.

Also ... "Bonnie McMurray."

49 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Long time fan fo this show. Discovered it during some random Youtube wormhole. It wasn't available in the states until mid-last year. It's fucking hilarious. I felt like season 5 got a little formulaic - the hicks have a long rant on some overly-specific random topic (getting tacos in LA), then there's a reason for a fight, fin. But S6 brought some good character development back in.

Also ... "Bonnie McMurray."

Agree with your assessment on Season 5 as a whole, but it did give us the Spelling Bee episode, which might be the funniest stand alone episode of the show.  Squrrely Dan berating the audience is just fantastic, as well as the skullduggery with Coach trying to rig it, and McMurray trying to get credit for words by mumbling through them.

The whole storyline with Riley and Jonesy coaching the women's team, and Shoresy playing foil was good too.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Agree with your assessment on Season 5 as a whole, but it did give us the Spelling Bee episode, which might be the funniest stand alone episode of the show.  Squrrely Dan berating the audience is just fantastic, as well as the skullduggery with Coach trying to rig it, and McMurray trying to get credit for words by mumbling through them.

The whole storyline with Riley and Jonesy coaching the women's team, and Shoresy playing foil was good too.

I was 50-50 on shorsey until he was a linesman and we got to see him skate. I was fucking CRYING. "Who even skates like that?"

I felt (and still feel) let down by the Gaye story arc, even into S6. So much fucking potential for redemption in Stuart, or for the low-key skids to actually become true degenerates with interesting storylines ... but she's just a minor incremental amount of mischief in S5, and weirdly festishist in S6.

Lastly, 'Dary is trending downward into comic relief. I should say, only comic relief. In the early seasons, he was Wayne's foil but also his confidant and equal. Wayne was the toughest guy in Letterkenny, but 'Dary was the glue between stoic wayne and squirrely dan. Now he's just ... goofy. Like the whole "can't say breakfast" or how he clings onto Anik (which got it's start in the whole "I don't like French girls because I could never get one to date me" thing, which was in itself overly emasculating for a guy that in the first two seasons had his shit together.

23 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I was 50-50 on shorsey until he was a linesman and we got to see him skate. I was fucking CRYING. "Who even skates like that?"

I felt (and still feel) let down by the Gaye story arc, even into S6. So much fucking potential for redemption in Stuart, or for the low-key skids to actually become true degenerates with interesting storylines ... but she's just a minor incremental amount of mischief in S5, and weirdly festishist in S6.

Lastly, 'Dary is trending downward into comic relief. I should say, only comic relief. In the early seasons, he was Wayne's foil but also his confidant and equal. Wayne was the toughest guy in Letterkenny, but 'Dary was the glue between stoic wayne and squirrely dan. Now he's just ... goofy. Like the whole "can't say breakfast" or how he clings onto Anik (which got it's start in the whole "I don't like French girls because I could never get one to date me" thing, which was in itself overly emasculating for a guy that in the first two seasons had his shit together.

I think they're working towards something with Dary.  His insecurity with French girls, leading into his relationship with Anik, and being ruled by his insecurity seems to be building towards some kind of triumph for him.  Dary never really had his shit together with the ladies, either.  Between pining for Bonnie McMurray, and striking out a few other times, I think his goofiness seems a bit consistent.  The only time he ever struck me as that confident, was in a confrontation with other guys, or when he's drunk.  

Regarding the skids, I'd be completely fine with them being written out of the show.  They've always seemed forced, mostly pointless to the plant, and nothing at all like actual small town meth heads.  Gaye is a waste of a character, IMO.  It's the only corner of the show I just don't care for.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think they're working towards something with Dary.  His insecurity with French girls, leading into his relationship with Anik, and being ruled by his insecurity seems to be building towards some kind of triumph for him.  Dary never really had his shit together with the ladies, either.  Between pining for Bonnie McMurray, and striking out a few other times, I think his goofiness seems a bit consistent.  The only time he ever struck me as that confident, was in a confrontation with other guys, or when he's drunk.  

Regarding the skids, I'd be completely fine with them being written out of the show.  They've always seemed forced, mostly pointless to the plant, and nothing at all like actual small town meth heads.  Gaye is a waste of a character, IMO.  It's the only corner of the show I just don't care for.

Totally agree with the Skids. Waste of time and space. 

I just wanted to also chime in on loving this show. Best comedy I've watched in quite some time. Fucking hilarious. 

The scene of them playing catch while Squirrely Dan talks about "attentions being paid to your butts holes" had me about pissing myself laughing. 

Edited by lateshow

31 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Totally agree with the Skids. Waste of time and space. 

I just wanted to also chime in on loving this show. Best comedy I've watched in quite some time. Fucking hilarious. 

The scene of them playing catch while Squirrely Dan talks about "attentions being paid to your butts holes" had me about pissing myself laughing. 

Arguably one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

We threw a bachelor party for a buddy back in August, and most of the guys in attendance are big fans of the show.  On multiple occasions, we were repeating this scene's dialogue in bars just to watch strangers' reactions.

18 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Small observation, but has anyone else that has watched all the seasons, or the majority of them, noticed that the hockey players quit dipping and Katy started covering up more?

I never made the connection independently, but you're 100% right.  

• Like 1

First two seasons on Hulu.
How are ya now?

Dude. You have made a major impact on my livelihood. This is the greatest show I’ve ever seen. Every scene is quotable. I’m not sure of another show that’s even close.

Every character is awesome.

I’m getting a “Texas sized 10-4” shirt by the end of the week.

Ninja dust!

“It’s been so long since I held a pair of tits in my hands I popped a lap rocket opening up a can of tuna the other night.” That’s off-putting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Dude. You have made a major impact on my livelihood. This is the greatest show I’ve ever seen. Every scene is quotable. I’m not sure of another show that’s even close.

Every character is awesome.

I’m getting a “Texas sized 10-4” shirt by the end of the week.

Ninja dust!

“It’s been so long since I held a pair of tits in my hands I popped a lap rocket opening up a can of tuna the other night.” That’s off-putting.

http://shopus.letterkenny.tv/

About 1/2 way through season 2 thanks to this thread.  No show has made me laugh this much in years.  Agree about the skids though.

i go up to Canada every summer to visit my wife’s family.  Disappointed that no one turned me on to it up there.  I can’t wait to annoy them by quoting shit they were sick of hearing a couple years ago.

Finished season 3. Damn solid even though a ~third of every episode is total filler. 

The hockey players going around on every comment is really overdone and agree on skids just being a time drain. Gayle needs to take about 50% off her character (not clothing) even though that's all her character is. 

11 hours ago, bluto said:

Finished season 3. Damn solid even though a ~third of every episode is total filler. 

The hockey players going around on every comment is really overdone and agree on skids just being a time drain. Gayle needs to take about 50% off her character (not clothing) even though that's all her character is. 

Yes, that got really annoying. 

The hockey players crack me up.  One of the most accurate parts of the show.  It really is barely exaggerated.

Agreed. The hockey players are hilarious and consistent. I felt pretty sure they were going to be huge douchebags at first but ended up being pretty great guys.

Do they have the market cornered on hot Canadian actresses?

Just now, NorthLoop said:

Buddy at work and I use it all the time. My boss thinks we're secretly talking shit about him because he has no idea what we're saying. 

It's actually close enough to small town lingo in the Upper Midwest that 75% of the time, it doesn't even phase people when I use it.

But man, the first time I told my wife to "figger it oat", you could have killed with the glare.

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

We use "snipeys" a lot too. It's a good way to stave off HR. 

Well played.

Hockey player lingo is at such a pace/level that I can't accidentally pick it up, other than a little bit here and there.  That part wouldn't translate at all around here - just the hicks.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:46 PM, Not a cat said:

I have no idea what "give your balls a tug ya titfucker" even means, but I laugh out loud every time I hear it in that high pitched voice.  

I think it's a clever way of saying "fuck off", but so much funnier.  Especially coming from Shoresy.