Texas Baseball Recruiting Thread

Horny Bull

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Have 16yo prospects been throwing 86-88 for awhile now, or is that an insane new development? 

PG level and back in the day when I played there were a few kids 86-88 entering their SOPH JR seasons. 

Saw Beckett hit 93 at that age but he was a freak of nature. 

On 3/30/2021 at 10:48 AM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Have 16yo prospects been throwing 86-88 for awhile now, or is that an insane new development? 

I easily touched 94-96 by the time I was 17. Our radar gun wasn’t calibrated right though and it always took 10+ MPH off our throws. I’m pretty sure.

• Haha 1

I played against a lot of guys in Houston and throughout the world from 1990-1994 that were in the high 80’s-low 90’s at 15-17.

Faced a dude from South Korea in a world series at 14 that was hitting the equivalent of mid-90’s. Faced Ramon Castro from Puerto Rico in the same tournament and he threw harder (drafted by the Astros a few years later and he was definitely not 14 when we faced his cheating ass). 

Jeff Hampton and Alex Prejean out of Clear Lake. Prejean was high 90’s with little control. He hit me on the tip of my nose in a playoff game in high school and it literally turf-burned the edge of my nose he was throwing so hard. 

Marriott, Rupe, the Kingwood guys that went in the first round in 93-95. Dana Davis. Mike Gonzalez out of Pasadena High who played for years as a closer in the bigs. A short fat lefty at Dobie named Shane something or other who ended up playing in the bigs for AZ and Milwaukee. Guy named Mosley out of Deer Park who threw harder than any of them besides Marriott and Prejean and couldn’t find the plate. Scary shit to face a dude in the high 90’s with zero control at 15/16. 

The most ridiculous pitcher I faced was a dude named Ryan Cummings out of Marietta, GA. He had 5 fucking pitches at 16 and threw in the mid 90’s with control. Tore his rotator cuff his senior year, I heard, and I think the Yankees still drafted him in the 16th round. 

Anyway, I’d say that it’s been going on for as long as baseball has been played. By high school, guys sitting 84-86 are a dime a dozen in the metro areas. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I played against a lot of guys in Houston and throughout the world from 1990-1994 that were in the high 80’s-low 90’s at 15-17.

Faced a dude from South Korea in a world series at 14 that was hitting the equivalent of mid-90’s. Faced Ramon Castro from Puerto Rico in the same tournament and he threw harder (drafted by the Astros a few years later and he was definitely not 14 when we faced his cheating ass). 

Jeff Hampton and Alex Prejean out of Clear Lake. Prejean was high 90’s with little control. He hit me on the tip of my nose in a playoff game in high school and it literally turf-burned the edge of my nose he was throwing so hard. 

Marriott, Rupe, the Kingwood guys that went in the first round in 93-95. Dana Davis. Mike Gonzalez out of Pasadena High who played for years as a closer in the bigs. A short fat lefty at Dobie named Shane something or other who ended up playing in the bigs for AZ and Milwaukee. Guy named Mosley out of Deer Park who threw harder than any of them besides Marriott and Prejean and couldn’t find the plate. Scary shit to face a dude in the high 90’s with zero control at 15/16. 

The most ridiculous pitcher I faced was a dude named Ryan Cummings out of Marietta, GA. He had 5 fucking pitches at 16 and threw in the mid 90’s with control. Tore his rotator cuff his senior year, I heard, and I think the Yankees still drafted him in the 16th round. 

Anyway, I’d say that it’s been going on for as long as baseball has been played. By high school, guys sitting 84-86 are a dime a dozen in the metro areas. 

I think it was Shane Nance from Dobie.  Don’t forget Backe too.  John Patterson from LCM was throwing high 90’s back then

1 hour ago, Beer Drinker said:

I think it was Shane Nance from Dobie.  Don’t forget Backe too.  John Patterson from LCM was throwing high 90’s back then

Shane Nance - that's right! He threw at me on 4 straight pitches in an American Legion game one summer. I attempted to whip his fat ass on 3 different occasions, including after and in his gf's front yard while her dad chastised me for "not letting it go" and Nance cried behind the screen door. Saw him and the gf, now long time wife, at my daughter's wedding in CA in September. Didn't do anything but say hello out of respect for the kiddo, but still, fuck that guy. 

Played against Backe and Cridland plenty. Cridland was a way better HS pitcher than Backe. My little brother threw harder and better than Backe and they were in the same grade. In HS, Backe truly talked like he was a drug dealer working a street corner and attempted to act gangster. It was comical then, and then seeing him speak like a non-thug on tv and radio while with the Astros was even funnier. In youth and HS, that dude could straight up mash. His pitching was secondary and he was only hitting the high 80's as a soph. 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Shane Nance - that's right! He threw at me on 4 straight pitches in an American Legion game one summer. I attempted to whip his fat ass on 3 different occasions, including after and in his gf's front yard while her dad chastised me for "not letting it go" and Nance cried behind the screen door. Saw him and the gf, now long time wife, at my daughter's wedding in CA in September. Didn't do anything but say hello out of respect for the kiddo, but still, fuck that guy. 

Played against Backe and Cridland plenty. Cridland was a way better HS pitcher than Backe. My little brother threw harder and better than Backe and they were in the same grade. In HS, Backe truly talked like he was a drug dealer working a street corner and attempted to act gangster. It was comical then, and then seeing him speak like a non-thug on tv and radio while with the Astros was even funnier. In youth and HS, that dude could straight up mash. His pitching was secondary and he was only hitting the high 80's as a soph. 

Yea I played against Backe quite a bit too, my high school team actually beat him 2-3 times his senior year and eliminated Ball from the playoffs.  He was a hell of a player and one of the best hitters in Houston area.  Amazing that once his position player role in the pros never materialized that he could resort back to pitching and excel in the bigs for a while.  I bet he hit low 90’s in 96, his senior year.

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

What are y'alls thoughts on a new baseball coach? I'm not feeling David Pierce. He's a great recruiter, but something has to change. 

His recruiting will keep us right around the top 10, but his in-game management and lack of development sucks.  I don’t think he’ll be able to get us over the hump, but I think he’ll be kind of hard to fire....but Shaka won the big 12 and Herman was 4-0 in bowls, so who knows.  

• Like 1

Just now, EZ$ said:

His recruiting will keep us right around the top 10, but his in-game management and lack of development sucks.  I don’t think he’ll be able to get us over the hump, but I think he’ll be kind of hard to fire....but Shaka won the big 12 and Herman was 4-0 in bowls, so who knows.  

Appreciate the response 

33 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

If and when the time comes, he will not be "hard to fire". Based on how he's recruiting, he'll get the 22 and likely 23 season to prove he belongs. IMO Baseball is right behind football for most pressure on a HC here, i'm not seeing much to make me confident he's the guy but i'm reserving judgment until he turns some of these players over. Based on how he's recruiting, I want to give him a season or two with his players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

This is pretty spot on. He’s yet to get over the hump and walk consistently with the elite programs like Texas should be doing. The World Series year, a great one, was an outlier for Pierce’s career at Texas. We don’t stink but he hasn’t show the ability live up to the standard. It would be a tough fire and if he doesn’t prove different then he should be shown the door. 

58 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

This is pretty spot on. He’s yet to get over the hump and walk consistently with the elite programs like Texas should be doing. The World Series year, a great one, was an outlier for Pierce’s career at Texas. We don’t stink but he hasn’t show the ability live up to the standard. It would be a tough fire and if he doesn’t prove different then he should be shown the door. 

I’m thrilled if Pierce succeeds because it means Texas succeeds.  However, we all know who got us to Omaha ...

11 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Pierce has this team hitting on all cylinders right now. I would pump the brakes on calling for his job. Thats comical. 

They just put up zero runs against aggy 5 days ago. Beating up on Kansas is nice but it says more about how bad they aren’t than it says about how good they are. 

• Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They just put up zero runs against aggy 5 days ago. Beating up on Kansas is nice but it says more about how bad they aren’t than it says about how good they are. 

Depending upon which poll you look at, we're ranked 5, 7, 8. One shitty game in April is not an indictment of the team.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:16 AM, EZ$ said:

Can we stop saying Shaka won the Big 12? He won the Big 12 TOURNAMENT with an extra free bye. He never came close to winning the Big 12 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Blackcat00 said:

Pierce has this team hitting on all cylinders right now. I would pump the brakes on calling for his job. Thats comical. 

That’s just not true. This team has hit on “all cylinders” for one series and it was against Kansas. This team still struggles with running bases, one of the most basic fundamentals that a good team should do easily. There is a number of other things Pierce has done inconsistently that we all could point out. 

The pitching staff and defense has shown to have the ability to keep us in games. It’s rare that we lose by a bunch of runs. With that said, we’ve also won a ton of close games. Could this series possibly be the start of the team hitting consistently? Maybe, but again it was Kansas and their arms for the most part are below average. We got a tiny bit excited the first two games against Oklahoma when they hit the ball well but then they went on to hit 5 the third game and 4 against aggy. This team either hits the ball really well or can’t hit the broad side of a barn with the latter happening the most. They’re far from hitting on all cylinders. 

It’s like some of you never watched Augie Garrido teams. Yes, I know titles. But his offenses were mediocre to sorry a little often. His tenure started off piss poor and he really only went as far as pitching staff took him. This is Pierces 4th season. 1 World Series appearance; 1 piss poor season. We’re 7-2 in conference with two road series wins. In game management offensively, Garrido wasn’t great.

I don’t know how he’ll turn out but we’re doing well right now. The program he took over was average in its existing state. His tenure is TBD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

It’s like some of you never watched Augie Garrido teams. Yes, I know titles. But his offenses were mediocre to sorry a little often. His tenure started off piss poor and he really only went as far as pitching staff took him. This is Pierces 4th season. 1 World Series appearance; 1 piss poor season. We’re 7-2 in conference with two road series wins. In game management offensively, Garrido wasn’t great.

I don’t know how he’ll turn out but we’re doing well right now. The program he took over was average in its existing state. His tenure is TBD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User name doesn't check out.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Texas is about to be ranked possibly #4.Who gives a fuck about a midweek game against Aggie when they are winning their 6 straight series. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sweeping a P5 D1 program is harder than you think. Its not like they swept Northern Maine. 

Edited by Blackcat00
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/3/2021 at 9:24 PM, DoneWithit said:

That’s just not true. This team has hit on “all cylinders” for one series and it was against Kansas. This team still struggles with running bases, one of the most basic fundamentals that a good team should do easily. There is a number of other things Pierce has done inconsistently that we all could point out. 

The pitching staff and defense has shown to have the ability to keep us in games. It’s rare that we lose by a bunch of runs. With that said, we’ve also won a ton of close games. Could this series possibly be the start of the team hitting consistently? Maybe, but again it was Kansas and their arms for the most part are below average. We got a tiny bit excited the first two games against Oklahoma when they hit the ball well but then they went on to hit 5 the third game and 4 against aggy. This team either hits the ball really well or can’t hit the broad side of a barn with the latter happening the most. They’re far from hitting on all cylinders. 

This has aged well. 

Edited by Blackcat00
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

This has aged well. 

Lulz. I stated in the post that the Kansas series could be the start of the team hitting more consistently. I still hold onto the notion that sweeping a bad Kansas team did not mean we were hitting on all cylinders consistently, mainly because of what previous history showed. 

This team showed amazing resilience at the plate on Friday night against a damn good picture and they kept their foot on the gas for the rest of the series. You love to see that and it’s a sign of a great team—something we haven’t seen from a Texas team in a long time. 

2 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Lulz. I stated in the post that the Kansas series could be the start of the team hitting more consistently. I still hold onto the notion that sweeping a bad Kansas team did not mean we were hitting on all cylinders consistently, mainly because of what previous history showed. 

This team showed amazing resilience at the plate on Friday night against a damn good picture and they kept their foot on the gas for the rest of the series. You love to see that and it’s a sign of a great team—something we haven’t seen from a Texas team in a long time. 

Maybe I am reaching on all cylinders, we did pop up a bunt this weekend (Kennedy). But my point is the last team batting average over .300 was in 2009. Since then it's averaged anywhere from .250 to .270 since Augie departed and Pierce arrived.  

This team is currently at .282 and on the verge of matching some damn good hitting teams Augie had that did some damage in Omaha. 

They started out like shit very early on but have really impressed at the plate with their approach and making starters work and getting to bullpens against some quality pitching. 

And to keep this thread on the tracks recruits are taking notice. 

Edited by Blackcat00