Texas Baseball Recruiting Thread

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Your follow up is another post here 20 minutes later asking us?

Yeah, I asked my brother and a mutual friend. I haven't heard back from them, though. Maybe Rathjen is a more common name than I realize. I know the dad and two sons went to Memorial. And those 2 sons played at Rice.

And I think the EHS connection is really a Kyle Chapman Select connection. Many EHS kids play for KC. Pierce's own kid played for KC, so he knows the program. Additionally, the with Colton, I believe that Pierce was at Rice when the oldest Rathjen played there.

I wonder if the EHS kids receive any scholarship money. Or is Pierce offering spots but no scholarship dollars to solid players who he knows can easily pay their own way?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacob McCandles said:

And I think the EHS connection is really a Kyle Chapman Select connection. Many EHS kids play for KC. Pierce's own kid played for KC, so he knows the program. Additionally, the with Colton, I believe that Pierce was at Rice when the oldest Rathjen played there.

I wonder if the EHS kids receive any scholarship money. Or is Pierce offering spots but no scholarship dollars to solid players who he knows can easily pay their own way?

I'm 99% sure EHS like all other private schools have a number of different ways to offer financial assistance for kids. Most of the time it is done for the right kids with the right reasons, then you have the examples of just wanting the best slot receiver or DT.

2 hours ago, Jacob McCandles said:

Thanks for the info. Craig is a good guy. I think he has a son (Colton) and daughter with his current wife. As far as scholarship money with EHS (I'm not sure), but Craig wouldn't need it.

23 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I'm 99% sure EHS like all other private schools have a number of different ways to offer financial assistance for kids. Most of the time it is done for the right kids with the right reasons, then you have the examples of just wanting the best slot receiver or DT.

Jacob was asking about Texas giving scholarships to players whose families don't need the assistance, not EHS. The question is if Colton is taking up part of a scholarship at Texas or coming on his parents' dime.

3 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Jacob was asking about Texas giving scholarships to players whose families don't need the assistance, not EHS. The question is if Colton is taking up part of a scholarship at Texas or coming on his parents' dime.

I'm sure he is on scholarship. Craig was on scholarship at LSU and started at running back. His other two sons were on scholarship at Rice. So, I think he would be insulted if Colton wasn't on scholarship also. At that point, it would be a matter of pride. Not bad though - 3 for 3 on his sons becoming major D1 baseball players.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I'm sure he is on scholarship. Craig was on scholarship at LSU and started at running back. His other two sons were on scholarship at Rice. So, I think he would be insulted if Colton wasn't on scholarship also. At that point, it would be a matter of pride. Not bad though - 3 for 3 on his sons becoming major D1 baseball players.

I see your point, but baseball is not football or basketball. Most get 1/4 scholarship at the most. I could see Texas or any school targeting solid but not top 10 rounds of the draft type players who can pay their own way, with the pitch being "you have a chance to play at Texas; we know you can pay your way; if you forego your 1/4 scholarship, it will allow us to offer more to guys who are going to get drafted high, thereby improving our/your team." I just find it interesting that Texas now has four EHS/Kyle Chapman kids, all from well-off families, on the team or committed. 

and p.s., Craig's daughter is D1 athlete too

5 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:

I see your point, but baseball is not football or basketball. Most get 1/4 scholarship at the most. I could see Texas or any school targeting solid but not top 10 rounds of the draft type players who can pay their own way, with the pitch being "you have a chance to play at Texas; we know you can pay your way; if you forego your 1/4 scholarship, it will allow us to offer more to guys who are going to get drafted high, thereby improving our/your team." I just find it interesting that Texas now has four EHS/Kyle Chapman kids, all from well-off families, on the team or committed. 

Damn, how do you know this stuff? Where/what sport does she play? We were friends in high school but I haven't seen him since he was in college. My brother sees him on occasion, though. I'll have to send Craig a congrats and let him know we are talking about him.

6 hours ago, randygilman said:

Pierce coached at EHS

Pierce is also very close to Matt Fox the coach at EHS and he's for sure close with Kyle Chapman - which just happens to have a rising junior from EHS playing for them who is probably one of the top 10 rising juniors in the country (Tanner Witt).  But I suspect he gets drafted very high in two years and never darkens the door of a college.

To the question about Cruz and loyalty to Rice now that Wayne is gone.  Trei is going to be a sophomore there next season. I assume he moves over to SS and starts there for the next two years until he goes pro. He is a stud and I will not be surprised at all to see him make it to the big leagues very soon.  His younger brother will attend Rice next year - but not sure how much he plays.  I think that's it for the Cruz kids.

8 hours ago, Jacob McCandles said:

Sorry, I was typing between patients and just realized that you may not want him to know about the thread. I am curious though for what sport and what school his daughter plays?

18 hours ago, MAROON said:

Pierce is also very close to Matt Fox the coach at EHS and he's for sure close with Kyle Chapman - which just happens to have a rising junior from EHS playing for them who is probably one of the top 10 rising juniors in the country (Tanner Witt).  But I suspect he gets drafted very high in two years and never darkens the door of a college.

To the question about Cruz and loyalty to Rice now that Wayne is gone.  Trei is going to be a sophomore there next season. I assume he moves over to SS and starts there for the next two years until he goes pro. He is a stud and I will not be surprised at all to see him make it to the big leagues very soon.  His younger brother will attend Rice next year - but not sure how much he plays.  I think that's it for the Cruz kids.

Witt is an outstanding player. He does have strong Texas ties, but I agree that he most likely gets drafted very high in a couple of years.

1 hour ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Witt is an outstanding player. He does have strong Texas ties, but I agree that he most likely gets drafted very high in a couple of years.

his dad was a 1st round pick in 1994

His grandfather runs the Kyle Chapman program and is a Texas alum

• 5 weeks later...

I realized this year that the stud Sooner OF, Steele Walker (Golden Golve semifinalist, AA, Team USA Collegiate National Team, etc.) is the son of a UT grad. In fact, if his mom married the guy I think she did, they are both UT grads. His older brother was a walk-on for Mack as well. And he wasn’t a sleeper recruit (DMN HS POY, All-State, etc.). It really pisses me off that Augie didn’t land this kid, as I’m sure he would have been easy pickings. But then again, when you shake the UT baseball tree, bats fall all over the place lately. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
I don’t know

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 11:06 AM, rickyspub said:

When does Colton Rathjen get to campus? I haven't seen Craig in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...