Things not going well in Chicago

Parliament

Yeah, based on the latest batch of murder numbers...I'm kinda thinking of not going up there for my 25th reunion.  

Don't get me wrong the four drink tickets were making a case for themselves.  

• 10 months later...

An hour+  conference call with the mayor and alderpeople that took place during the unpleasantless 10 days ago.

Sadlowski-Garza wept as she told Lightfoot new businesses had been destroyed, while other shops were being protected by owners with shotguns.

“This is a massive, massive problem,” Lightfoot said. “People are just f-----g lawless right now.”

Ald. Raymond Lopez (15th Ward) demanded that Lightfoot develop a plan to stabilize Chicago’s neighborhoods for five days, calling his Southwest Side ward “a virtual war zone” where gang members armed with AK-47’s were threatening to shoot black people.

The call came to a screeching halt when Lightfoot declined to address the substance of Lopez’s remarks, and Lopez demanded that she respond.

Lightfoot told Lopez he was “100% full of s--t.”

“Well, f--k you then,” Lopez responded.

“I understand you want to preen,” Lightfoot told Lopez.

As aldermen objected, Lopez continued to speak.

“Mayor you need to check your f-----g attitude,” Lopez said.

https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/05/what-are-we-going-have-left-our-community-aldermen-react-panic-sorrow-unrest

ETA

Blacklab, can we go ahead and move this to the Cloak Room?

Edited by Parliament

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/05/us/chicago-shootings.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200706&instance_id=20044&nl=the-morning&regi_id=123116982&segment_id=32688&te=1&user_id=faf6589c2c1224eae47887e1e76bc520

At least 336 people have been murdered in Chicago through July 2 of this year, according to the Chicago Police Department, a homicide rate on track to hit the 2016 record of 778 deaths. (New York City, with almost three times the population, had 176 murders as of June 28.)

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Not everyone lives a privileged life where they don't fear for their life.

So your reply makes sense in that the poor kiddo obviously did not live a life privileged to be free from gun violence...but it doesn’t make sense as an answer to my question regarding if the 7yo needed a weapon, as you suggested arming more people would help.  I’m asking if adding more guns to the mix means giving pistols to first graders?

I find it interesting when Mass shootings at schools, etc.. happens, it is all over the news for weeks, but this goes on all the time and there is hardly any talk of it and how to fix it.

Edited by BNB
  • Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/05/us/chicago-shootings.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200706&instance_id=20044&nl=the-morning&regi_id=123116982&segment_id=32688&te=1&user_id=faf6589c2c1224eae47887e1e76bc520 

At least 336 people have been murdered in Chicago through July 2 of this year, according to the Chicago Police Department, a homicide rate on track to hit the 2016 record of 778 deaths. (New York City, with almost three times the population, had 176 murders as of June 28.)

Come on NY Times, lazy. If they bothered to research, the record for Chicago is 970 murders in 1974 and well over 800 throughout the 80s and early 90s. 1992 I believe had the 2nd highest total.

Edit to add: shit is bad there obviously and the hot spots are HOT SPOTS. My cousin had multiple friends murdered there in the area of Garfield Blvd just west of the Dan Ryan.

• 3 weeks later...

Go to a funeral.... have FOURTEEN people get shot at said funeral.

although right now, it sounds like no one has died.  which i guess is good news.....

Cop was stationed on site before the shooting and it didnt matter,  drive by shooting right after the funeral, even with the cops there.... over 60 casings found afterwards

At least 14 people have been shot outside a funeral home in Chicago - one of the worst mass shootings in a city already grappling with rising violence.

Mourners were shot at by the occupants of a passing vehicle as they left the home in Gresham, on Chicago's South Side, on Tuesday evening, police said.

The injuries were reported to range from serious to critical.

The shooting comes amid reports that federal agents are to be deployed to the city to help tackle rising crime.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot said she had been assured that the agents would work "collaboratively" with Chicago's police force, local media report. She had previously threatened to sue US President Donald Trump if he sent in troops without her permission.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53498130

Edited by AUS-97HORN

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Does what occur on the South Side happen anywhere else in America?  Serious question...

No, it's more akin to Mexico/Cartel violence and organization.

I think a solution that is not being put on the table is to have leadership/law meet with South Side Chicago gangland leaders and negotiate some sort of truce or peace. It won't happen because that would be like admitting South Side Chicago is in a state of failure and too far gone, which we can't do for ego purposes, but it would sure help to save lives in the short term until holistic change can be affected.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Does what occur on the South Side happen anywhere else in America?  Serious question...

Chicago has the 16th highest murder rate in the US last year so I would guess the answer is yes. Obviously it’s a huge city so they have nicer areas that help the overall number. But that is true of most larger cities. Parts of St. Louis would be a good, but smaller in scale, comparison to start with.

44 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

No, it's more akin to Mexico/Cartel violence and organization.

I think a solution that is not being put on the table is to have leadership/law meet with South Side Chicago gangland leaders and negotiate some sort of truce or peace. It won't happen because that would be like admitting South Side Chicago is in a state of failure and too far gone, which we can't do for ego purposes, but it would sure help to save lives in the short term until holistic change can be affected.

The Chicago gangs are much less centralized and leaderless than in the 80s and 90s.  A truce is not viable.

There are no short-term solutions to the problem.  The most violent areas are simply too impoverished and devoid of the culture required to turn things around within a generation.  Massive investment in education, infrastructure and opportunity "might" produce some incremental improvements but the ROI would be so pathetic that the efforts will be deemed a failure before given the chance to take root.  It is at least a 50 year process to reverse 150 years of neglect and abuse.  The bottom line is that anyone today who lives in the most violent and impoverished portions of the American ghetto are basically doomed and trapped in this cycle.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The murder rate will eventually decline if everyone is dead.

That’s what a Detroit city council candidate said a few years back when his incumbent opponent bragged about their declining murder rate. Paraphrasing.... “That’s because there is no one left to kill”.

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Chicago has the 16th highest murder rate in the US last year so I would guess the answer is yes. Obviously it’s a huge city so they have nicer areas that help the overall number. But that is true of most larger cities. Parts of St. Louis would be a good, but smaller in scale, comparison to start with.

They were 10th in murder and non-negligent manslaughter in 2017 per this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

Baltimore kind of stands out as having the combination of higher population (600k) with a step change in per capita murders (second on list, twice as high Newark, Chicago, Memphis).

However, because their population is 4-10 times that of everyone above them on the list, their total numbers just seem ridiculous.  Also of note, according to this list, New Orleans is very rapey.  

15 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Also of note, according to this list, New Orleans is very rapey.  

Are you kidding?  This is "of note"?  Ever been to The Quarter?  Sheeiiit, it's a rapist's all you can eat buffet.

The sickos don't even need Roofies, just trail the 20 something lightweights out of the nearest Hand Grenade vendor and bide their time.

It's like watching Orcas hunting new born seals out for their very first swim.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Are you kidding?  This is "of note"?  Ever been to The Quarter?  Sheeiiit, it's a rapist's all you can eat buffet.

The sickos don't even need Roofies, just trail the 20 something lightweights out of the nearest Hand Grenade vendor and bide their time.

It's like watching Orcas hunting new born seals out for their very first swim.

Are you a big drinker and/or big The Quarter fan or something? hmmm

7 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Are you a big drinker and/or big The Quarter fan or something? hmmm

Sober as a judge now, but yeah, back in the days when I lived alone w/no friends in Mandeville I used to hit the Quarter quite a bit and yes, I was afflicted with the whiskey disease.

Life of a mutual fund wholesaler was a lonely, lonely business.  But with my expense account, it didn't stay lonely for long, if you know what I mean.

Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more say no more...

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

And to bring this back on topic, no doubt in response to the unbridled destruction we are seeing in Portland, Chicago has agreed to let the Feds come in and maintain some semblance of order (and conveniently wash their hands if/when things go sideways and shift the blame)

Trump, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot agree to deployment of federal agents https://trib.al/lAV2Gr1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

And to bring this back on topic, no doubt in response to the unbridled destruction we are seeing in Portland, Chicago has agreed to let the Feds come in and maintain some semblance of order (and conveniently wash their hands if/when things go sideways and shift the blame)

With, you know, some really important distinctions/differences:

Lightfoot, who previously vowed to turn away the feds, and Trump — who blasted “extreme politicians” whom he accused of joining an “anti-police crusade” — are in agreement over the strategy of sending in agents to plug into existing operations, the paper reported.

“Mayor Lightfoot maintains that all resources will be investigatory in nature and be coordinated through the U.S. Attorney’s office,” the statement said. “The Mayor has made clear that if there is any deviation from what has been announced, we will pursue all available legal options to protect Chicagoans.”

Trump is deploying officers to Chicago and also to Albuquerque, New Mexico, as part of the national Operation Legend anti-violence initiative, which is named for LeGend Taliferro, a 4-year-old shot dead in Kansas City.

Earlier this month, federal officers were sent to Portland, Oregon, to protect a federal courthouse from rioters, and to Kansas City to quell violence as part of Operation Legend.

The efforts in Chicago, however, would not resemble the heavily criticized presence in Portland, where camouflaged federal agents have patrolled streets and made arrests in an attempt to protect federal buildings, according to the Sun-Times.

The agents would collaborate with Chicago police and Lightfoot’s office under the direction of US Attorney John Lausch, whom Lightfoot, a former federal prosecutor, knows and trusts, the paper reported.

“This is not patrol. This is not against civil unrest,” Lausch told the outlet ahead of Trump’s announcement. “This is working with the Chicago Police Department to do what we can to reduce the staggering violent crime we’re facing right now.”

The federal teams will focus on “gangs, guns and drugs,” he said.

They may wear tactical gear or work undercover, but will not be dressed in camouflage, Lausch added.

Federal law enforcement, respectful of their role and working in conjunction with local authorities, within the bounds of the law and the constitution?

You will find very little objection to that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I know some will say that Ben Shapiro is in it, or that it's a video, so no one will watch it, but I think there some good ideas going on about this topic if you're willing to listen to it.

It was a pretty good listen. I watched earlier.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1