Things not going well in Chicago

Parliament

44 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What're we up to in Texas now, ~25 mass shootings if you include the one last week on Sixth Street.  And only 1 was stopped by a legal carrier.  I'm all for legal carry, but if people do it because they think they'll stop crimes in action...50 years of evidence says otherwise. None of you are getting shot in South Chicago, you would stick out so much even without a weapon on your hip.  They'd come out of their apartments just to admire your goofy ass.  

Nobody I know carries for the purpose of stopping a mass random shooting. All of them including me carry to prevent a bad guy from fucking our shit up.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

You're right, and I get it.  but you and I both read the same shit after every mass shooting, "Man, if I was there...this guy woulda got dropped after the first few shots."  But that almost never happens.  As for preventing a bad guy from fucking up our shit, most legal carriers don't hang out in places where random deadly weapon assaults occur.  I get your point though. 

Sadly, as a nation we're probably just a year or two away from CHL Tourist Voyeurism.  For a fee/online training, you can legally bring your weapon(s) of choice into particular violence hot-zone.  If you see somebody causing felonious trouble, you can legally drop them.  

46 minutes ago, Lobo said:

you and I both read the same shit after every mass shooting, "Man, if I was there...this guy woulda got dropped after the first few shots."  But that almost never happens. 

We also read similar things after a child is killed or abused, "I'd kill that muthafucka if he did that to my kid!", but that doesn't happen either. People like to talk big online. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

They are keeping a significant number of police set up around the downtown area. Guess they have given up on the south side. We were there right before Memorial Day and they had cop cars pretty much on every block along Michigan, State, etc. with cops also walking the blocks. There were 4-5 cars stationed outside of Trump towers the entire time. 

Family Spring Break to Chicago. We had a great time but the massive police presence along Michigan Avenue felt both discomforting and comforting at the same time. Such a great city ... for good and bad, misses the Daley's.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Nobody I know carries for the purpose of stopping a mass random shooting. All of them including me carry to prevent a bad guy from fucking our shit up.

Yep.  If you really break down the gun casualty rates, when you take our suicides, accidents, and gang related shootings, the numbers tell a very different story

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

You're right, and I get it.  but you and I both read the same shit after every mass shooting, "Man, if I was there...this guy woulda got dropped after the first few shots."  But that almost never happens.  As for preventing a bad guy from fucking up our shit, most legal carriers don't hang out in places where random deadly weapon assaults occur.  I get your point though. 

Sadly, as a nation we're probably just a year or two away from CHL Tourist Voyeurism.  For a fee/online training, you can legally bring your weapon(s) of choice into particular violence hot-zone.  If you see somebody causing felonious trouble, you can legally drop them.  

You must be thinking of these heroes in waiting.....

72E95607-9AFC-4D43-B8C3-A8F7A3C18E60.jpeg

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Why 5 cars outside Trump Towers in Chicago?  Nothing happens in Streeterville except maybe some public intoxication and shoplifting.  

Never did figure it out, we stay at the Langham and there was always that many outside. I kind of think it was a staging area to rotate them through downtown on breaks maybe because that road is dead and it’s out of the way. It did seem odd they were lined up in front of Trump towers of all places though.

I’ve always been a Chicago fan. We’ve been going 1-2 times a year for probably the last 10-15 years. We always took the train in/out, walked everywhere or took the subway, etc. It felt different this last trip walking around downtown. I think Harrison hit on it pretty well, it was a weird mix of feeling uncomfortable by the presence as well as comfortable in a City you know pretty well. The other issues were that Michigan and that area felt dirty and old compared to our last trip before all this crap. There was a lot of empty space even though the places we frequent were still there. It was just different.

Man, that stinks to hear.  That's certainly a neighborhood/part of the city that was way beyond our socio-economic station growing up but I know it well and it sucks to hear that the vibe is now as you described.  A lot of news about my old hometown doesn't surprise me anymore, but this kinda shit does.

So, I got off the phone with my buddy. He said car jackings are way up (He got car jacked a few years ago) and murders are up but that nothing has really changed in the city. He says Michigan Avenue and that area are just as crowded as ever. During COVID everything was pretty shut down but now everything is opening back up.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

So, I got off the phone with my buddy. He said car jackings are way up (He got car jacked a few years ago) and murders are up but that nothing has really changed in the city. He says Michigan Avenue and that area are just as crowded as ever. During COVID everything was pretty shut down but now everything is opening back up.

Any more juicy info from your source?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Any more juicy info from your source?

Well, one guy on here was saying that Chicago has changed. I doubted it but it never hurts to ask. Plus his brother is a sportcaster in Columbus so I can always get some OSU updates at the same time. If you want I can ask another friend of mine from the South side who is in charge of minority relations at UT. He hasn't been there recently due to COVID but he still has family there. My guess is that it is the same as NY when crime was high there. Some tourists might avoid it but as a whole people still will do the same stuff that they always have done. And they probably should - crime in tourist areas is still probably low.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Are they still eating deep dish pizzas?

36 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well, one guy on here was saying that Chicago has changed. I doubted it but it never hurts to ask. Plus his brother is a sportcaster in Columbus so I can always get some OSU updates at the same time. If you want I can ask another friend of mine from the South side who is in charge of minority relations at UT. He hasn't been there recently due to COVID but he still has family there. My guess is that it is the same as NY when crime was high there. Some tourists might avoid it but as a whole people still will do the same stuff that they always have done. And they probably should - crime in tourist areas is still probably low.

Don’t care what your buddy said, Michigan had nowhere near the volume of people on it that it has had any other trip, any time of the year. It’s been busier in the winter than what it was when we went in May. Boat tours and other operators were mainly parked, took 5 minutes to go through TSA at O’Hare at lunch on Friday before Memorial Day, lots of closed places through downtown, massive police presence downtown, etc. It is most definitely not the same feel downtown as in the past. I think that is similar in a lot of places, but the travelers have definitely not come back to Chicago yet for whatever reason.

12 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Are they still eating deep dish pizzas?

Good friends of ours are from Chicago and for Father's Day they online ordered or somesuch some deep dish place in Chicago.  Must have been good.

The pizza was shot 13 times on its way to the airport.  Lori Lightfoot blamed racist cracker pizza haters on the crime.

• Haha 7

55 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Good friends of ours are from Chicago and for Father's Day they online ordered or somesuch some deep dish place in Chicago.  Must have been good.

The pizza was shot 13 times on its way to the airport.  Lori Lightfoot blamed racist cracker pizza haters on the crime.

*cracka

poverty?  

shitty schools?

either too much police or none?  

lots and lots of guns?

lots and lots drugs? 

lack of infrastructure?

lack of community engagement?  

lack of government engagement?  

lack of leadership?  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Lots of guns in other places that have almost no “gun violence”.

Well, we know what answer he was fishing for.  And there's lot of those folks in other places that have almost no crime.  

I would guess 18 of the 20 most dangerous cities are run by Democrats.  18 of the 20 largest cities are run by Democrats.  18 of 20 most visited cities are run by Democrats.  Places with over 250,000 people tend to lean Democrat when it comes to mayoral elections.  It's one of a dozen factors that determines the crime rate of a city.  

Fun fact, I've lived in Austin, Northern California, San Antonio, Florida, and Chicago.  All places with Democratic leadership, I've never missed an election day in my adult life, and I've never voted for a Democrat for Mayor.  But it has nothing to do with because I thought they'd increase the crime rate.  Who the fuck believes shit like that?  

Cicero to Naperville?  Damn, that is a change.  I pictured you as George Jefferson typing that "Well, we movin' on up!"  

One of the high schools I went to, its district spread from just west of Cicero (by a matter of blocks).  So it included shady areas like Hodgkins, McCook, and on into Justice, Berwyn, Stickney, Bedford Park, et. al.---touching right up to the city limits of the south side of Chicago.  Then a swatch of working class neighborhoods like mine, and then on out west that way towards Naperville---parts of Hinsdale and Oak Brook Terrace and serious money. 

I think it was a good experience for me to go to school there because it was decently diverse ethnically/racially but really fucking diverse economically.  There were kids from the southern and eastern parts of the school district that had to get wanded by security on the way into school each day, wasn't uncommon to see arrests happen during school hours, government lunches, etc.  And then kids from the western and northern parts of the district rolled up in cars nicer than my parents with their Aspen lift ticket tags still on their jackets from months ago.  

But yeah, Pulaski/Kedzie and south of I-55...those roads were pretty much the  boundary for us.  No going beyond those roads for anything, to meet friends, sporting events, nothing.  Not by train, not in a friends car, nothing.  And so, being teenagers, of course we did.  It's a whole other world there and I've been drugged in Central America.  No CHL weapon would make feel any safer, just more of a target.  

The Democrat Machine doesn't perpetuate crime in Chicago.  It perpetuates corruption and no social mobility.  Crime comes way, way after...

Just now, Dennis Taylor said:

Lack of accountability?

sorry, that's pretty much all of the United States, city or village.  High crime or low crime.  

1) There are cops outside of Trump towers because it's owned by a former President that isn't very popular with Chicagoans. And dumbass dipshits might try to throw rocks at windows or tag the building. Police presence there is a deterrent to petty crime.

2) Who cares if there were more or less people on Michigan Avenue? Michigan Avenue sucks. It's like 6th street but instead of drunk college sluts partying it's rich divorcees shopping on white wine and pills. Only tourists go to Michigan Avenue.

3) That shooting video is fucked up. Not surprising it happened on Puerto Rican Pride Day. That parade is a SHIT SHOW. Anyone with a lick of sense stays the fuck away from Humboldt Park that weekend.

4) Lori Lightfoot is a fucking idiot. It's not her political party. It's that she's a politician. It's her arrogance, obliviousness, stubbornness, myopia, inability to build coalitions, lack of accountability, and her plain old stupidity. She's a super shitty mayor. And Chicago is pretty fucked up right now. They need to flush the toilet on the mayor and most of the city council.

My family is spending the whole month of July in Chicago. My buddy has a two-flat in Logan Square and rents one of the apartments out. Gonna come back 15lbs heavier than when I left. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

poverty?  

shitty schools?

either too much police or none?  

lots and lots of guns?

lots and lots drugs? 

lack of infrastructure?

lack of community engagement?  

lack of government engagement?  

lack of leadership?  

Lets not forget excuses and finger pointing. 

1 minute ago, Jizzum said:

Lets not forget excuses and finger pointing. 

Spoiler alert, those come in big cities and small towns.  Blue and red areas.  This country is a whiny froth of zero accountability and hurt feelings.  Our leaders are just a reflection of that.