Yes: Pools are worth it....

On 4/25/2018 at 12:27 PM, beer said:

Think about temperature profile in the summer - and when can you start swimming in the spring (asumbing you arent fucking rich or own your own natural gas supply for heating).  We cant usually swim without paying to heat it until mid May, and it gets too warm (without cooling intervention) by late July.  We have a 6.5 foot deep end.  Also, how do you drain a pool that is all the same depth?   Real deep end pools will take longer to warm up in spring - probably resist overheating though.

I added "sprinklers" to my returns and we are sure to run them all night (or even during the day) and tolerate evaporation for a cooler pool.  

Did the same, easy to make your own w/ pvc and a drill bit, cost about 5 bucks.

7 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Boric acid is on its way.  After some comprehensive research it appears to be pretty damn useful except the cost.  I need to start brushing this pool too...

Yeah it's good stuff.  Follow directions esp regarding pH.  

Mentioned earlier in-laws bought a house with a pool.  How often are y’all adding water to your pools?  Theirs is dropping a couple inches every couple days and they think it’s normal.  I grew up with a pool and don’t remember adding water every other day even in the dead of summer.  Maybe I’m just not remembering correctly.  

Refill every couple of weeks in the summer. Depends on how much sun pool gets.

There is an easy bucket test from tfp to check for leaks-

1) put bucket on top step and fill bucket to the same level as pool water comes up to the outside of bucket

2) check in a few days to see how much "pure" evaporation there was in bucket vs pool water lost (evaporation + may also include leaks).

3) ???

4) profit

22 hours ago, DaysOff said:

That's excessive. It's not even hot yet. There's a leak somewhere probably around the light or skimmer. 

I think there’s a leak as well.  They’re going out of town next week so I’ll try the bucket test.  The pool is about to be resurfaced and there’s a known problem with the light. Maybe those two things will be a fix.  I don’t think my FIL realizes what he’s getting into. 

Holy shit its nice now. If I can just get it to stay a little warmer it is primo. Got to check that chlorine every day, and brushing the sides actually helps a lot to control algae. Got it slammed a while back, added borates, everything good now. Fuck yeah.

e82716566134ce70d82a250874b32bfd.jpg

Yeah a pool is totally worth it... Saturday night, steaks on the grill and then hot tub and pool time. Footballs and tennis balls next as dusk turns to night. These days are why we live in Texas !!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Nice setup Hate....

Thanks.  The pool was a perfect 85 degrees yesterday.  In Houston, there is about a 3 week window where the water isn't too cold or too warm, and we are right in the middle of it.  By the end of May, the water temperature will be over 90 and won't be refreshing during the day at all.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Thanks.  The pool was a perfect 85 degrees yesterday.  In Houston, there is about a 3 week window where the water isn't too cold or too warm, and we are right in the middle of it.  By the end of May, the water temperature will be over 90 and won't be refreshing during the day at all.

Are there any water features?  If so, the more you run the more it will cool the water.

Glacier pool coolers do a good job cooling the water as do tropicool heatpumps.  Not cheap, but a solution.

There are 4 "waterfalls" in addition to the spillover from the spa, but I wouldn't call the "water features".  I can switch a valve and have the water go to the "features" or just through the normal spouts in the pool.  I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in temperature when the water is routed through the features, but I do notice a big difference in evaporation.  It's not that big of a deal as I enjoy taking a dip at night during the summer. 

Leslie's is such trash.

went there today bc it's right by my house, i needed some liquid chlorine and a filter, and my normal pool shop closes at 6pm (pool zoom on 281 in SA) and it was 6:15.

no one in the store except a guy that's been there for awhile already I could tell trying to return a bottle of algeacide for a bigger bottle. He was there twenty minutes bc the cashier refused to sell him the new bottle without taking the old bottle off of his "rewards" account. Cashier couldn't figure it out and accused the man of lying about his rewards account. They start arguing back and forth about how ridiculous the whole situation was. Finally their transaction is over and I'm thoroughly entertained but want to add fuel to the fire bc I hate Leslie's and more customers had walked in and I wanted them to hear me say "hey buddy, next time go to Pool Zoom. They have better chemicals, lower prices, and know what they're doing."

cashier says "next" with a groan.

i ask "do you match Amazon prices bc they have the same pleatco filter you're selling at $120 for $45."

he yells "No!"

and I walked out. Ordered my filter on prime. Will get chemicals at my local pool shop this weekend instead.

New pool owner, but got a smart degree from UT.  While buying some acid at Leslie's (sure wish home depot would sell that too) had the guy tell me I should start buying shock, and not straight chlorine anymore because it's more effective.  I looked at him and said "huh?"

Then he tried to sell me a $80 bottle of algaecide to drop my phosphates.  I asked, "if my chlorine is killing the bugs and greenies, why should I care what my phosphates are?"

He could only mumble and mutter a reply.

13 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Leslie's is such trash.

went there today bc it's right by my house, i needed some liquid chlorine and a filter, and my normal pool shop closes at 6pm (pool zoom on 281 in SA) and it was 6:15.

no one in the store except a guy that's been there for awhile already I could tell trying to return a bottle of algeacide for a bigger bottle. He was there twenty minutes bc the cashier refused to sell him the new bottle without taking the old bottle off of his "rewards" account. Cashier couldn't figure it out and accused the man of lying about his rewards account. They start arguing back and forth about how ridiculous the whole situation was. Finally their transaction is over and I'm thoroughly entertained but want to add fuel to the fire bc I hate Leslie's and more customers had walked in and I wanted them to hear me say "hey buddy, next time go to Pool Zoom. They have better chemicals, lower prices, and know what they're doing."

cashier says "next" with a groan.

i ask "do you match Amazon prices bc they have the same pleatco filter you're selling at $120 for $45."

he yells "No!"

and I walked out. Ordered my filter on prime. Will get chemicals at my local pool shop this weekend instead.

Amazon has your chemicals too.  Shipped to your front door for free with prime.  

New pool owner, but got a smart degree from UT.  While buying some acid at Leslie's (sure wish home depot would sell that too) had the guy tell me I should start buying shock, and not straight chlorine anymore because it's more effective.  I looked at him and said "huh?"

Then he tried to sell me a $80 bottle of algaecide to drop my phosphates.  I asked, "if my chlorine is killing the bugs and greenies, why should I care what my phosphates are?"
I hate that racket. Yes phosphates are food for algae, but if you're diligent with your chlorine and have no algae who gives a shit.

6 hours ago, freyguy said:

Home Depot sells acid, that's where I get mine.

38 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Yeah, they have the solid stuff, but I don't see the liquid.  I prefer liquid because its instant.  No time to play around with dissolving granules.  I'll keep searching.

They sell liquid acid. Been buying it at HD since 2015. You're either looking in the wrong place or you live in some yankee state.

Home Depot will usually carry on 2 gallon packs of muriatic.

Fuck Leslie's and their phosphate obsession.  That 80$ bottle costs them probably less than 15.  If you're having issues with algae on chlorine then add borates.  Removes the carbon dioxide, makes the water pretty and is a great buffer for pH fluctuations.

Edited by Poolflood

My local Ace sells liquid muriatic acid as well. They also carry 10% bleach, which is nice, but you have to check the date on that stuff.

Is algae guard of any use? My builder said he adds it every 3 months, but I don't see it talked about on TFP, and I figure if I keep the other chemistry in range that should take care of it.

Check label on ingredients  Looks to be made by HTH.  Non-foaming algaecide and those are fairly generic.  Tabs, shock and borates are all most pools need.  If you let a pool get out of hand and get an algae bloom.  Sodium bromide and shock to remediate.

• 2 weeks later...

OK chemists....trying to flock my pool.  pH is 7.2 but my alkalinity is somehow too high (130).  Flock works at high pH so I want to raise the pH to make that work better.  My base demand is HUGE (like 8 lbs of potash) and I havent even added the acid to correct my alkalinity problem yet.  WTF.  Do I just move? 

OK chemists....trying to flock my pool.  pH is 7.2 but my alkalinity is somehow too high (130).  Flock works at high pH so I want to raise the pH to make that work better.  My base demand is HUGE (like 8 lbs of potash) and I havent even added the acid to correct my alkalinity problem yet.  WTF.  Do I just move? 

Have you checked out troublefreepool.com? If you don’t have a saltwater chlorine system 130 alk isn’t way out of bounds. Maybe you are already using the pool math calculator but raising your ph too much can cause issues with plaster.

A water change could also get you back to normal and may be cheaper than adding a ton of potash to your pool.

What do you need to flock the pool for?

What they've said.  I wouldn't flock a pool.  Follow the pool math calculator on the Trouble Free Pool site to get your chems right.  They stand by not having to mess with fancy chemicals.  

If your water is too cloudy, have you flushed your filter lately and/or added back DE?

Pool was neglected and got green.  I have soluble dead angae bodies in my water.   My salt cell went out mid season last summer and I just fucked around and didnt replace it - added chlorine the old fashioned way.  Flocking works well if you have a lot of tiny particulate matter (and a plain old sand filter like we do). It just requires the vacuuming.  I cant add but a tny little amount of DE to "polish" the water because the pump cant handle it on top of a sand filter.  A half a cup does wonders though. 

Its just that to be effective, flocking requires that you temporarily raise your pH to get it to precipitate well.  I have both low pH and high alkalinity right now (neglected) so yea...thinking about hitting the reset button and draining a part of it all.  Definitely this is the season I add borates so that will help the pH a little.  I should probably just do it now.  Drain and fill,  add acid to the deep end and drop my TA a little more,  then borate should up the pH, let it all settle, vac then then hopefully I will have a little pool balance. Just measured my base demaind and to get it to a pH of 7.6 would have taken 20lbs of potash. Ugh. 

I have to admit I have let this shit happen before and it was never this hard to clear it - in fact, I usually just super-shock it and walla, clear water with green shit on the bottom to vacuum out. 

Edited by beer

Any recs for robotic pool cleaners?  I've yet to see one that doesn't have mixed reviews online, but I imagine that's due to some olds who can't operate something that isn't analog tv.  

We had a dolphin but the power supply crapped out last season.

damn this thread...  i want a small pool...  but i'd rather buy GE stock for $60k today and hope i made the right decision when I sell it in 20 years and move to Costa Rica.

How much sex are you going to have in that stock over the next 20 years?
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Todd Gack said:

Any recs for robotic pool cleaners?  I've yet to see one that doesn't have mixed reviews online, but I imagine that's due to some olds who can't operate something that isn't analog tv.  

You sound like a 30 year old millennial who still lives at home

9 hours ago, Todd Gack said:

Stick to a robotic that has local warranty.  Love my robotic BUT they're expensive to fix.  As much as I hate Leslie's, they do warranty.  I'd buy whatever your local store supports.

The polaris I inherited is excellent. It is a pump assisted unit.

My old pool had a Hayward shark and it's a pain in the ass to clean. Get one with a bag rather than pleated filters.