Yes: Pools are worth it....

1 hour ago, PorscheGuy said:

I was convinced to go with a robot and can’t stand it. I spend more time cleaning out the impeller and unclogging everything then it does cleaning. There are some days I literally mess with it morning, noon and night and there are still leaves and small sticks on the bottom of the pool. And by messing with it, I have to take it apart, unscrew the covers and clean it out by hand.

I have just decided it is better use of my time to clean it with a net and brush. If you have any trees near by, robot may not be the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at purchasing a house with a pool several years ago.  I had never owned a house with a pool before.  I had a client at the time who owned a pool company and was asking him a few questions about it.  He asked if I had any pictures, so I pulled up the listing.  He took one look at the three massive oak trees in the backyard and told me if I wanted to hate having a pool, that this pool and backyard would make me hate it.  I passed on the house for reasons mostly unrelated to the pool, but that stuck with me.

• Like 1

+1 on salt pools being super easy. And my pool area is woodsy, which is nice for keeping the water cool in the summer but a weekly service wouldn’t be enough with all the tree debris (tulip poplars are pissing me off right now).

It also means the stone gets dirty over time with all the leaves, but I spent a few hours with a pressure washer on Sunday and viola:

2aa8b7a6aff8284a4600054a3c3bb3a3.jpg

• Like 3

Nice pool buzz.
Does the salt jack with your stone deck??
So went to the tile store today, Crossville Tile, to pick out pool tile. Wife now wants travertine deck (fmw).
Does the tumbled travertine get slick when wet? How bout hotness in direct sun all day? Im still worried about the kids running and slipping.
Pool guy told us kooldeck (generic name?) was best option for heat and nonslip surface, but said travertine would be ok.

Our last house we had travertine and it never got hot enough to matter - maybe warm but not like a wood deck. Our expensive ipe deck was nice to look at but unusable half the time. Travertine was an easy decision, I didn’t like the fake stone look. About to start our new build and I’m angling for a stone product again for the decking.

we went with pentair equipment. different pool builders will push different equipment. from everything i read, there really isn't any big differences between hayward, pentair, and jandy. 

we have a chlorine pool and maintenance is really easy. get yourself a test kit, download the pool math app, and add in the liquid chlorine/muriatic acid as the app tells you. brush the pool a couple of times a week, use the net to catch bugs/leaves/debris on the surface and you're good. we do not have trees near our pool so we don't have to deal with that.

we got a robotic (pentair kreepy krauly) and it does a really good job of cleaning. my one gripe is that we had bar stools built in, and it will get stuck there or get stuck above the main drain suctions. additionally, our pool builder built in the plumbing in case we ever want to go back to a regular cleaner.

cleaning the spa out is a pain in the ass though. you have to use that damn vacuum hose and it's not all that great.

Nice pool buzz.
So went to the tile store today, Crossville Tile, to pick out pool tile. Wife now wants travertine deck (fmw).
Does the tumbled travertine get slick when wet? How bout hotness in direct sun all day? Im still worried about the kids running and slipping.
Pool guy told us kooldeck (generic name?) was best option for heat and nonslip surface, but said travertine would be ok.

Not that I can tell. Pool is 15 years old and the stone and grout are in pretty good shape. Coupla little wear spots here and there.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:24 PM, Poolflood said:

Builder is old school.  And there's nothing wrong with that!  He's also buying his equipment not from pentair,  but from distribution.   This is true for 90% of poll builders in Texas.   He may also not realize his true cost on a 280 vs robotic.  He may also not be priced right on robotic.  Anyway, if you like him, his design and trust the company go for it.   The only thing I would stand firm on is the VS pump. 

ended up going with jandy equipment including variable speed pump. 🤘🏽

signing the contract today. too much to hope for a late august swim?

On 5/27/2020 at 7:53 PM, williemackgarza said:

Nice pool buzz.

our builder brought over samples of the koolcote stamped overlay. it has a weird, shiny topcoat to it that makes it look wet at all times. that plus the $5k premium made it an instant no go. the travertine decking was a $7k premium, so no go on that either.

we debated over brushed concrete, salt finish concrete and koolcote knockdown textured. ultimately decided on koolcote for the reasons your pool guy gave you. we’ll be covering the existing patio with it as well.

About to scroll through this thread to find some recommendations for a pool builder in Austin. 

The house I bought has a hot tub in poor condition that needs to be removed and disposed of.  It's old and not worth fixing.  Not sure yet if I will replace it with another since there's already electric to it and I'll be left with a perfectly sized hole in a perfectly good deck.  If I do that then a pool will go in near it and have the decking connect to my current patio and  hot tub deck.  If not, I could scrap the whole deck and the old hot tub and put in a pool and in-ground hot tub together for a cleaner build.  I don't mind the aesthetics of an in-ground pool next to an above-ground hot tub.  That wouldn't bother me at all and cost the biggest factor in which direction I'll go.  Looking to set up quotes and get input.  

5 hours ago, joe dirt said:

ended up going with jandy equipment including variable speed pump. 🤘🏽

our builder brought over samples of the koolcote stamped overlay. it has a weird, shiny topcoat to it that makes it look wet at all times. that plus the $5k premium made it an instant no go. the travertine decking was a $7k premium, so no go on that either.

we debated over brushed concrete, salt finish concrete and koolcote knockdown textured. ultimately decided on koolcote for the reasons your pool guy gave you. we’ll be covering the existing patio with it as well.

Congrats.  Late August MAY be right depending on HOA.

The upgrade price seems high for a standard deck, but completely depends on total square foot you're doing

We have tumbled travertine pavers. They never get hot. My kids (now 6 and 10) can stand on them barefoot in the middle of the day with no issues. They are not very slippery. I think we have had 1 fall in 3+ years, and that was one of the boys running. Great way for them to burn off some energy and get away from the screens.
0c3913fcd1defb1987c1b4eb8ad47e2e.jpg
aa9fda6e75e94ed62c4cfb7e7ebd6639.jpg

• Like 8

Awesome pool shadetree. Love the outdoor lounge.

Thanks. The structure was well worth the cost. It’s on the west side of the pool, so it provides shade in the pool in the afternoon. Can watch TV from the spa. Gets a lot of breeze and is pretty comfortable even in July/August.
I try to recommend that when building a pool, try to add something that give you some shade. Feel it’s needed here in Texas. You will want to be out of the pool at times. Having some shade will let you stay outside even when it’s hot, keep an eye on the kids, etc.

Pool light trips a breaker. Pool guys claim they couldn’t get the light out. They think the wire is crimped somewhere.

I notice there’s water in the light fixture. Could this be the problem?

FILs pool, so I’m limited in what I can do and when. He knows nothing about his pool.

On 6/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, joe dirt said:

All depends on your location and the scope of your project.  We met with our pool builder last Friday, June 5th.  We've had a singed contract and completed plans since May 14.  Although he wouldn't commit to a specific date, he thinks we're looking at mid to late September to swim.

He also claims we are actually in WAY ahead of the rush.  Due to the Covid, their sales have skyrocketed.  This is the second pool we're doing with him and since we had already begun the process before the Covid, we kept our place in line.  But he told us in April that they were up 400% over last year.  And he told us on Friday that if we were to have called and made a first inquiry that day (first week of June), it would be mid July before they could even schedule an initial meeting with us.

I'm sure that will all translate into delays, I just hope it doesn't translate into sloppy work.  But, what are you gonna do?  I'll be really hands on and like I said, this is our second pool with them so I have a pretty good comfort level.  Our guy claims we're getting their A-crew for everything due to our location and the fact that we're existing clients, so that's about all I can ask for.  Fingers crossed...

On 5/21/2020 at 3:46 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

With Samsung news that they now offer outdoor rated TVs, what's everyone's opinion on these outdoor TVs?  Crazy expensive, I know many using indoor units and just replacing every few years.

There are multiple solutions to use indoor units and case/cover/replace, but they tend to be..well... butt ugly.

Anyone actually spend the bucks on an outdoor unit?  Worth it or not?  

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/21/21266136/samsung-terrace-4k-qled-outdoor-tv-specs-price

Damn...thanks a lot Samsung.  Now I'll need to check into this.  I have zero cover so something like this would probably be my only option if I want a TV outside.  At first glance, they're too expensive, but if there's one thing we know about Samsung, just give it a while and the price will drop substantially.

Pool building time lines depend on a lot of factors.  A pool can easily be completed in a 60-90 days if all your selections and decisions are made on the front end and your pool builder has his ducks in a row, gets all his subs scheduled properly and you don't have any city inspection issues.  Most pool builders are familiar with the city codes, but always double check set backs and requirements yourself to save the hassle on the back end.  Even with a ton of change orders, coordinating with our outdoor kitchen construction and delaying my pool builder a few weeks due to planned trips, he was able to dig out our old pool, fill in the back yard, and dig a new pool and complete in about 90 days,   Also, weather can be an issue, so cross fingers for a dry spell.

As far as TV's go, you can get a cheap large- internet ready Samsung 4k from Target for around $500-$600.  Buy a good TV cover that wraps around all sides from Amazon.  I have two TVs outside that I keep covered, one is completely open to the elements for 6 years and I have no problems so far.  I looked at outdoor TV's but figured I can by a new one every other year 5 times and still be better off.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Our guy claims we're getting their A-crew for everything due to our location and the fact that we're existing clients, so that's about all I can ask for.  Fingers crossed...

Stuff like this makes me really suspicious of whoever I'm dealing with. 

Thanks for all the advice for this first-timer.

Went ahead and got a service.,  Buddy of mine highly recommended him.  It's just him and he does about 70 pools in our area.

$155 a month for weekly service and chemicals.  He recommends servicing the filter twice a year at about $90 per service.

Good guy and I will be learning from him so that in time I may take it over.  For now, with work, this is the best play given my time and lack of knowledge.

3 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

As far as TV's go, you can get a cheap large- internet ready Samsung 4k from Target for around $500-$600.  Buy a good TV cover that wraps around all sides from Amazon.  I have two TVs outside that I keep covered, one is completely open to the elements for 6 years and I have no problems so far.  I looked at outdoor TV's but figured I can by a new one every other year 5 times and still be better off.

Good to know.  I’ve done regular cheap TVs on my last two pools (with no case or cover) with no problems, but both lived under a covered porch.  This pool will not have a covered porch so I figured I was fucked.

My pool was replastered 5-6 weeks ago and I think I have a pool leak based on Bucket Test (at least 2X rate of evaporation after less than 48 hours).  I think the constant rain for a lot of May masked the issue at first but then I noticed I had to add water every few days when in the past I'm not sure I ever added water myself since I've owned the house (my pool service would add when needed during weekly cleanings).  The guy that did the replaster is supposed to have someone come out today.  Let me know if anyone has experience dealing with this.  I'm concerned about where the hell water would be going and what subsurface damage that could do.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

Out of curiosity, what did it run you to replaster your pool? I may be in that same boat soon as our pool is now 12 years old. Thanks.

It was a little under $9K I believe but also re-tiled.  Ran into some additional charges for hollow plaster removal that bumped it up some.    It was just plaster + blue quartz mixed in for aesthetics.  I didn't do the pebbles or anything.  Hoping my leak is just in some light area and easily fixed, but yeah, I'm guessing mine had not been replastered in 12+  years (I've only owned house 4 years) so it was time, and it looks great, but pretty pissed off I'm having to deal with a leak

• Like 1

Looking for feedback on UV light maintenance.  We had our pool built in 2015 by Denali Pools.  Part of their bid was a UV light (brand: Paramount Ultra UV).  At first, it had a nice blue light coming from it and seemed to have been working. Fast forward to this summer, and the light is out.  I’ve researched this model and it seems that I need to get into it and change out lamps and possibly clean the quartz tube.

Has anybody got any experience doing this?  Is it worth the hassle?  I do a pretty good job on my pool chemistry, so I feel like it’s not a big priority.  But, if I have the equipment, I feel like I should be using it and getting my money’s worth out of it.

On 6/7/2020 at 12:32 PM, shadetree said:

Thanks. The structure was well worth the cost. It’s on the west side of the pool, so it provides shade in the pool in the afternoon. Can watch TV from the spa. Gets a lot of breeze and is pretty comfortable even in July/August.
I try to recommend that when building a pool, try to add something that give you some shade. Feel it’s needed here in Texas. You will want to be out of the pool at times. Having some shade will let you stay outside even when it’s hot, keep an eye on the kids, etc.

Username fits.

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Thoughts on or experiences or with automated pool covers? The concern is safety of small children and it seems like the best way to do that. We'd have a fence too, but wife would like more assurance. 

We have an automated pool cover, which has worked great for us with small kids. No idea on costs, as I bought the house with it. Thought I would have to build a fence as well, but you can walk across our pool cover, so that is enough protection. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

We have an automated pool cover, which has worked great for us with small kids. No idea on costs, as I bought the house with it. Thought I would have to build a fence as well, but you can walk across our pool cover, so that is enough protection. 

Thank you, great information! How long have you had it? What has your experience been with maintenance and repairs?  

2 hours ago, Delta Charlie said:

Looking for feedback on UV light maintenance.  We had our pool built in 2015 by Denali Pools.  Part of their bid was a UV light (brand: Paramount Ultra UV).  At first, it had a nice blue light coming from it and seemed to have been working. Fast forward to this summer, and the light is out.  I’ve researched this model and it seems that I need to get into it and change out lamps and possibly clean the quartz tube.

Has anybody got any experience doing this?  Is it worth the hassle?  I do a pretty good job on my pool chemistry, so I feel like it’s not a big priority.  But, if I have the equipment, I feel like I should be using it and getting my money’s worth out of it.

I've taken mine apart to just wipe the quartz.  It's easy, you just have to remember all that shit is delicate.  Don't forget to undo the tie wraps on the cabling beforehand. 

I wish I had the data to show it was actually doing something though.

39 minutes ago, El Tri said:

well our pool is getting too fucking hot in austin. i have no trees hence no shade.

bought all the pvc stuff to build those DIY misters. wish me luck

Same situation on trees for us. I tried the misters that you put on the returns. Didn't work well and I was concerned my kids would break one. I built a different one for about $75 that works off of a submersible pump. I ran it overnight on Tuesday and got a 6 degree drop the next morning. Will post pics if anyone is interested. Probably run it twice or week or so during the summer.

• Like 2

Quick updates and a question or two.

-The Pentair chiller was / is a great investment.  Fired it up Monday afternoon for the first time.  Pool temp was 87.  Got it down to 82 by noon today.  Actually so cool that my wife complained about the temp this afternoon.  I was impressed that it could reduce the temp by 5 degrees in 2 days with 100+ temps.  Adjusted the settings, and we'll keep it in a range from 85-57 now.

-Pentair ScreenLogic, while a great concept and awesome when it works, is basically like using a dial-up modem.  Holy crap.  I had to buy a Wi-Fi extender with a Cat-5 port because this POS system is so antiquated.  It rarely connects via WiFi and is slower than molasses.  I now port in remotely, and it's a bit more reliable, but I'm still not very satisfied.  Anyone have any insight on ScreenLogic?

-We installed landscaping this week.  I have two beds adjacent to the pool.  Our pool cleaner scolded me for putting in mulch.  Se said it's a huge no-no and can ruin my plaster.  Anyone else heard this or had first-hand experience?  Looks like we'll be putting in rocks instead, which I'm not a fan of...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Thank you, great information! How long have you had it? What has your experience been with maintenance and repairs?  

Only had it a year now, no maintaince really so far, just keep leaves out of it and put a skimmer on it to drain it when it rains. No repairs so far, but will happen eventually. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Quick updates and a question or two.

-The Pentair chiller was / is a great investment.  Fired it up Monday afternoon for the first time.  Pool temp was 87.  Got it down to 82 by noon today.  Actually so cool that my wife complained about the temp this afternoon.  I was impressed that it could reduce the temp by 5 degrees in 2 days with 100+ temps.  Adjusted the settings, and we'll keep it in a range from 85-57 now.

Can you post more info on the Pentair chiller? Link or model number maybe?

16 hours ago, Bill Clay said:

Same situation on trees for us. I tried the misters that you put on the returns. Didn't work well and I was concerned my kids would break one. I built a different one for about $75 that works off of a submersible pump. I ran it overnight on Tuesday and got a 6 degree drop the next morning. Will post pics if anyone is interested. Probably run it twice or week or so during the summer.

can you post pics and items you bought to make it?