Yes: Pools are worth it....

for those who have a service, what are y’all paying per month?

the company our builder set us up with to open the pool and do the pool school wants to charge $200/mo. that seems high af to me considering i only see this guy out there for maybe 15min at a time. was gonna roll with them for a while until i figured out the chemistry but fuck all that noise time for some on the job training haha. 

12 minutes ago, joe dirt said:

the company our builder set us up with to open the pool and do the pool school wants to charge $200/mo. that seems high af to me considering i only see this guy out there for maybe 15min at a time. was gonna roll with them for a while until i figured out the chemistry but fuck all that noise time for some on the job training haha. 

fuck that noise. buy this test kit https://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html, download the PoolMath app, and watch some youtube videos.

It's the easiest thing in the world to maintain your own pool

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

They do a shit job brushing as well. Checking water chemistry once a week during our hot summers with a heavy bather load is insufficient. Take control of your own pool; you'll be happier and richer in the end.
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 11:34 PM, Hate said:

On nights like this, I generally have the spa at 96 or 97. It’s 52 degrees right now where I am.

I'm a 104 guy at all times if possible. And I wish it could could hotter. 

I remember older spas could go up to 110 degrees. I assume the lawyers won and they made 104 the arbitrary limit? 

On 12/9/2020 at 11:56 AM, joe dirt said:

Clorox chemicals have how to guides on YouTube. It's pretty easy. My wife had the pool cleaning/chemical treatments down within a month. 

Don't waste the money. Do it yourself. 

Others in this thread, how often should have your pool pump checked out by a "professional"? 

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Goddamn...that’s pretty warm. I’ll crank mine up to 99 at times if it I really cold outside, but I will usually turn the heat on and off to adjust the warmth as necessary. I don’t know if I could even get into the spa at 104.

It gets pretty damned hot. I usually have to jump in the pool or pound beers to cool down. 

On 12/9/2020 at 11:56 AM, joe dirt said:

We were about that. I loved the service at first they were great.  We had some enzymes added which I’m sure can be done on your own to make the water silky and they also never over dosed the pool. It was perfect and luxurious. Then the guy sold and it was a mess.  We are probably doing our own maintenance when we move into our new place. 

Damn that is a lot of concrete.

For those that live in rainy environments, building a pool during that time period royally sucks. My builder has made one hell of a mess of what was a pretty nice tract. I told him last week I wished I would have fenced in a small backyard area they had to work within instead of them just going wherever they wanted. They should drain the mud puddle in the next week and put the finish on and install travertine. Then I get to figure out the cost of repairing their mess.

BE75CD25-B3DA-490F-BAFC-0BF67326FBD2.jpeg

A6090B71-50BC-48D6-A79E-0A5FE19947BB.jpeg

• Like 1

What finishes are you all going with? 

Our builder includes NPT Stonescapes Mini Pebble in the base price but it is a heavy texture.  We have 2 friends with that and 2 friends just finishing their pools with Quartzscapes.  I was just reading about PolishedScapes but it sounds more expensive.  They polish it after install.

I would rather have smoother than the mini pebble but the Quartzscapes is supposedly less durable due to the higher marble content.

9 hours ago, TexasEd said:

What finishes are you all going with? 

Our builder includes NPT Stonescapes Mini Pebble in the base price but it is a heavy texture.  We have 2 friends with that and 2 friends just finishing their pools with Quartzscapes.  I was just reading about PolishedScapes but it sounds more expensive.  They polish it after install.

I would rather have smoother than the mini pebble but the Quartzscapes is supposedly less durable due to the higher marble content.

Quartz is smoother but a cheaper product and susceptible to mottling.  How long are you going to be in the house?  If longer than about 10 years do pebble.

You get used to the texture.

Quartz is smoother but a cheaper product and susceptible to mottling.  How long are you going to be in the house?  If longer than about 10 years do pebble.

I had pebble in our pool as a kid and always hated it. What’s the next best surface to put in?

6 hours ago, Poolflood said:

we've already been here 15 years and not likely to move until the youngest is in college.  He's 7 now.

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I had pebble in our pool as a kid and always hated it. What’s the next best surface to put in?

If you don't want pebble then quartz to stay in same price.  Then you get to polished stone and glass bead.  Both are more expensive.  Your builder should have options.  Also the finish you had as a kid may have been a rougher aggregate or over exposed.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:45 AM, DaysOff said:

Partial drain today. Get your CYA and calcium hardness in check boys.ed13ed4623169f4a5fd96ea9f4052082.jpg

Is your edge a spillway or just a spillway look?  Our designer put a spillway look (Faux spillway) in our design but we are leaning towards traditional coping there.

Who has Saltwater Generator and Travertine?
Think we are going this way.  I will seal it.  Friend with SWG and Lueder coping has had some disintegrate that was not sealed but Travertine is harder and we'll seal it.

I did at my previous home. I loved it and I had no problem with the salt and the travertine. I sealed it every year and every few weeks during the summer I would hose down the coping and decking with fresh water. I wouldn’t own a pool without an SWG. I also was always careful to keep my salt level at the lower end of the range.

7 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Who has Saltwater Generator and Travertine?

Think we are going this way.  I will seal it.  Friend with SWG and Lueder coping has had some disintegrate that was not sealed but Travertine is harder and we'll seal it.

With a SWG it’s important to stay on top of the PH.  The process of converting the salt into chlorine gas as the water goes through the SWG raises the PH.  Unchecked the high PH will do more damage than the small amount of salt in the pool.

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

It's a faux infinity look.

Have you had issues with water loss over the spillway?  We have a bunch of kids and I don't think it will work in a high activity pool.  Seems like much easier to loose water there than a traditional coping edge.

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

With a SWG it’s important to stay on top of the PH.  The process of converting the salt into chlorine gas as the water goes through the SWG raises the PH.  Unchecked the high PH will do more damage than the small amount of salt in the pool.

Tell me more about this.  We already have high pH water with all the limestone in it.  I've heard about the calcium build up on the SWG cells.  Is this just adding acid to the water or what?  Friend with SW pool says he gets his in balance and doesn't have to do anything for weeks at a time.

I have a salt water pool and I add about 1/4 gallon of muriatic acid every week or so to keep the Ph in balance. It isn’t difficult to maintain the right balance.

This. My pool was around 20k gallons and I needed to add about a quart of MA every couple of weeks or so. Add borates to the pool and it helps with the pH upward creep but it will still creep up. The beauty of the SWG is that if you like doing everything yourself it’s a very low maintenance form of pool maintenance and chlorination. But you still need to check your chlorine and pH often. Get a very good test kit. With the SWG and the Polaris 280 I didn’t need a pool guy and my pool was always perfectly clean and balanced. After paying for the SWG I probably averaged about $15 per month in chemicals (mainly acid). If you don’t want to be bothered with doing things yourself, then you might as well use chlorine pucks and pay a pool guy $200 or so a month and hope he doesn’t let the pool get over stabilized with too much CYA.

If I'm thinking of putting in a pool, what am I looking at cost-wise in (SW) Austin right now? 

I'm thinking around 12k gallons is likely about the size I could fit.

Prefer rounded corners over square, but could possibly compromise if square is much cheaper. 

Prefer salt water.

Basic decking.

Want a Spa.

6' depth in deep end would be a plus.

Also, any recommended companies or ones to avoid? 

17 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

If I'm thinking of putting in a pool, what am I looking at cost-wise in (SW) Austin right now? 

Prefer rounded corners over square, but could possibly compromise if square is much cheaper. 

Prefer salt water.

Basic decking.

Want a Spa.

We are getting bids now.  We are in the 100-120k range but that is for something in the 18k gallon range.  I would imagine you are looking at 75-100k

Prefer salt water.
Basic decking.
Want a Spa.

Mine is about 13k gallons, free form. Spa, 8 foot natural stone waterfall along one side, 5.5 foot deep end. A few other bells and whistles. $95k, but that included a small flagstone deck around it which I think was a $6k addition.

Not saltwater.

Only bad thing about SWG is it stops making Chlorine when the temps drop below 50 or so

I assume you mean water temp. I had mine in Houston for 4 years without a problem. But the water temp probably only went below 50 a handful of times. Still, unless you live in the panhandle I would do the SWG and if I had to supplement the chlorine I would add Clorox every few days. When the water is that cold the chlorine demand is very low.

5 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

Prefer salt water.

Basic decking.

Want a Spa.

Biggest cost adders are spa and decking.

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Mine is about 13k gallons, free form. Spa, 8 foot natural stone waterfall along one side, 5.5 foot deep end. A few other bells and whistles. $95k, but that included a small flagstone deck around it which I think was a $6k addition.

Not saltwater.

we’re in that ballpark as well price wise. 16k gallons rectangle with spa, sheer descents, travertine etc. 

781BEA29-424E-43D2-9520-2F971B96B92B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1