Yes: Pools are worth it....

8 hours ago, PantsTent said:

I downloaded the manual and there is no setting for speed. Says will run on max speed for 8 hours once temp is reached. Temp can be set from 40F to 34F or something like that.  Thought that was lame too. Hayward Tristar vs 950...supposedly a pretty decent pump.  I can deal with setting manual timers < 10 times a year.  I haven't worried about the few low 30s or high 20s nights we've had.  This 9 degree shit is different though.

On the Hayward system,  specifically the omni controller, the speed of the pump would be regulated by the automation.  On older systems my assumption is that it would be the same.  And I'm assuming automation.   Those pumps can run solo.  Programming freeze speed is in base programming.  If you want to change freeze speed look up the manual for automation,  not the pump. 

Trying to think ahead and make contingency plans.  Currently, my controller is automatically cycling between the pool/spa, so I know the freeze mode is working.  I do have a separate pump for the bubblers/water features that I'm manually running to keep anything from freezing.  Water temps for now are fine in the 40s (measured in above-ground pipes), but it ain't single digits yet and I'm worried that circulation itself isn't going to cut it.  Here's what I'm thinking as it gets colder:

-- I have a big tarp and hopefully Amazon will still deliver the mylar sheets and a heat lamp I have on order.  I was planning on lining the tarp with the mylar and covering the exposed equipment (already with 3 sides sheltered) and the lamp when things dip colder.  I have no idea what kind of fire hazard I'm creating, but I will at least be able to keep an eye on the water temps.

-- Let's say that's not enough.  What about turning the heater on?  Am I going to see the pool equivalent of pouring hot water on the frozen windshield if I try this?  If pressed to go this route I'll uncover the heater from the tarp, but that will leave other pipes exposed.

-- When all else fails, I'll fill the damn thing in when spring comes.  I already spent all last weekend cleaning/vacuuming/chemicalizing since my teenage son pool service had been slacking, so I'm about done with it at this point anyway.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the Hayward system,  specifically the omni controller, the speed of the pump would be regulated by the automation.  On older systems my assumption is that it would be the same.  And I'm assuming automation.   Those pumps can run solo.  Programming freeze speed is in base programming.  If you want to change freeze speed look up the manual for automation,  not the pump. 

I do not have automation. Might add later.

10 hours ago, Damor said:

Trying to think ahead and make contingency plans.  Currently, my controller is automatically cycling between the pool/spa, so I know the freeze mode is working.  I do have a separate pump for the bubblers/water features that I'm manually running to keep anything from freezing.  Water temps for now are fine in the 40s (measured in above-ground pipes), but it ain't single digits yet and I'm worried that circulation itself isn't going to cut it.  Here's what I'm thinking as it gets colder:

-- I have a big tarp and hopefully Amazon will still deliver the mylar sheets and a heat lamp I have on order.  I was planning on lining the tarp with the mylar and covering the exposed equipment (already with 3 sides sheltered) and the lamp when things dip colder.  I have no idea what kind of fire hazard I'm creating, but I will at least be able to keep an eye on the water temps.

-- Let's say that's not enough.  What about turning the heater on?  Am I going to see the pool equivalent of pouring hot water on the frozen windshield if I try this?  If pressed to go this route I'll uncover the heater from the tarp, but that will leave other pipes exposed.

-- When all else fails, I'll fill the damn thing in when spring comes.  I already spent all last weekend cleaning/vacuuming/chemicalizing since my teenage son pool service had been slacking, so I'm about done with it at this point anyway.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Moving water can't freeze, so keep it moving. Really shouldn't be any issues as long as your valves are open and your moving water.

As for heat lamp / tarp... my dad did this years ago only to wake to it having caught the tarp/sheets on fire and also melting the pvc. Needless to say was a costly and messy fix.

I wish I had a hose bib nearer the pool for filling and cleaning the robot.

We built what we thought was going to be a way too big hot tub, but are glad we did.

If you're going to have little kids around or future grandkids, be careful when planning to think about any blind spots where they could get into trouble and you wouldn't be able to see them.  It only takes a few seconds.

Thanks @MonkeyDoughnut.  I will abandon the heat lamp idea, especially since my backyard camera range wouldn't be able to capture the carnage for the lulz.

Cross posting from the Weather thread.  From my pool guy:

The next couple of days are forecasting a hard freeze in our area. To protect your pool equipment the most important preventive measure is to run the pool pumps continuously while temperatures are near and below freezing. This includes all pumps: Main, Cleaner and Water Features.

Pools with electronic control boards typically have freeze protection built in and will come on automatically as the temperature approaches freezing. Some manual timers have a freeze protection feature (a black knob below the timers to select a temperature). Regardless of your system, we recommend you verify your pumps are running to avoid any freeze damage to your equipment.

Pools with hot tubs and automatic valves will alternate the valves to keep water moving in both sets of pipes. If you have manual valves that you turn when using the hot tub, I would partially turn them, ~45 degrees, to keep water flowing in both sets of pipes.

In addition to running your pumps, you may also cover your pipes. Care should be taken to not cover the motors, heaters or any electronic components that could pose a fire hazard.

It is not recommended to run the heater as it will have little effect.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, riloh05 said:

About to build...

any must haves that you wish you would have done. 

things you have that you would never do without.

hanging up and listening.

Must have SPA... use it way more than I anticipated.

Patio structure for sitting / tv (if don't have already).  Knew we would use but didn't realize how much.  Between structure and SPA, backyard is now a year round destination / hangout spot.  Would reduce pool size if needed to just to have good size patio setup.

Automation - I can't believe how many of my neighbors "cheaped" out on the extra couple thousand dollars considering the 6 figs they already spent and did not get it. It's like having a remote for your TV vs getting up to turn it on and off. No brainer.

I didn't do SWCG (salt system)... in Houston area, wish I would have.. likely going to put in this year. Dealing with CYA creep not huge issue but still an issue. Can't decide if salt issues better or worse. ( I know what Trouble Free Pool preaches, but I also know the issues my neighbors have had ).

I wish I would have added some deck jets. I've got bubbler and waterfall, fire/water bowls... really wanted some deck jets but had to say no at some point... kinda wish I didn't.

For the bubblers I wish I would have had them add automated values (manual currently) for them so I can turn them higher or lower via phone. They are linked with my waterfall and if I have all on with the bubblers shooting up high the "wake" in the water is a little much if in the pool (I like it if sitting watching pool, not while in it). Would be nice to be able to control how high the bubblers go without manually adjusting. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Must have SPA... use it way more than I anticipated.

Patio structure for sitting / tv (if don't have already).  Knew we would use but didn't realize how much.  Between structure and SPA, backyard is now a year round destination / hangout spot.  Would reduce pool size if needed to just to have good size patio setup.

Automation - I can't believe how many of my neighbors "cheaped" out on the extra couple thousand dollars considering the 6 figs they already spent and did not get it. It's like having a remote for your TV vs getting up to turn it on and off. No brainer.

I didn't do SWCG (salt system)... in Houston area, wish I would have.. likely going to put in this year. Dealing with CYA creep not huge issue but still an issue. Can't decide if salt issues better or worse. ( I know what Trouble Free Pool preaches, but I also know the issues my neighbors have had ).

I wish I would have added some deck jets. I've got bubbler and waterfall, fire/water bowls... really wanted some deck jets but had to say no at some point... kinda wish I didn't.

For the bubblers I wish I would have had them add automated values (manual currently) for them so I can turn them higher or lower via phone. They are linked with my waterfall and if I have all on with the bubblers shooting up high the "wake" in the water is a little much if in the pool (I like it if sitting watching pool, not while in it). Would be nice to be able to control how high the bubblers go without manually adjusting. 

Fantastic and Awesome advice. Building our home and pool with it. Using Mark @ Meyer Ranch as the pool builder. I have a spa, have table and stools in the pool, have a covered patio with sightlines to the TV, have tech/idiot proof included...

Here are my specs....

Hayward equipment omni logic automation with I – phone remote

2 hp variable speed pump

320 cartridge filter

Auto clorinator Auto water filer Vgb compliant main drains ASME-ANSI-A112.19.8-2011

2 - l.e.d pool light 12 volt with transformer color Pool cleaner suction side 1 skimmer Perimeter 78 Area 347

Decking broom finish 200 sq ft mondo sq including coping

Cantilever coping 12in beam Tile waterline $16.00 per sq ft allowance

Plaster ( luna quartz pacific) light color

Pool brushing and start up and one month service

Gallons 11,300 

18" 18" Sun shelf 5ft 14 ft. 18" 18" 18"

250,000 btu heater 1 hp blower

2- fire bowls 24 in

3- 18in scuppers

18 in raised wall smooth finish 24 ft long

Raised spa 6in 1 hp water feature pump 

34 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Haha, based on my above posts I could be your neighbor regarding the automation.  But as you said, have to draw the line somewhere.  I did go SWCG, basically in place of automation.  

If you've read Trouble Free Pools, I'm sure you're aware, but you can avoid CYA creep by using pure liquid chlorine.

Yes, the automation is a must.  I've got the Pentair and while the app has its issues, it's nice to be able to turn stuff on from home to avoid the "how do I do this???" calls.  And also to be sure everything (heater) gets turned off.

I would add that I love the Cooldeck coating for the decking -- nonslip, easy on bare feet, and really does not get uncomfortably hot, even in the summer.  I wish we had done the porches on our house with that instead of stained concrete.

We also increased the depth of our tanning ledge to 12", which makes a better play depth for little ones and sits you near the water surface if you put a lounger in the pool.

47 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Haha, based on my above posts I could be your neighbor regarding the automation.  But as you said, have to draw the line somewhere.  I did go SWCG, basically in place of automation.  

If you've read Trouble Free Pools, I'm sure you're aware, but you can avoid CYA creep by using pure liquid chlorine.

Any issues/regrets on SWCG?  I've switched to Cal-Hypo for chlorine right now... first time pool owner and builder didn't give me enough information regarding "puck" issues and CYA.  For any first pool owners, figure this out early on as draining is only way to lower CYA and it can creep up fast using mainly tri-pucks.

As for automation, nothing better than being out at dinner or school event (football game, etc) and deciding... hey lets heat up the spa so it will be ready when we get home.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

For anyone with automation, I have Hayward... they sell a cool waterproof floating remote for their omnilogic system, but its around $5-600 dollars... no way I was going to pay that so I bought a Kyocera DuraForce Pro on eBay for $35 that is waterproof for up to 30 mins. We just have pool app connected via Wifi on it so battery lasts weeks. Great for turning water features or spa blower on/off etc as well as controlling Smart TV via app so can more easily control TV from spa.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

2 hours ago, riloh05 said:

Fantastic and Awesome advice. Building our home and pool with it. Using Mark @ Meyer Ranch as the pool builder. I have a spa, have table and stools in the pool, have a covered patio with sightlines to the TV, have tech/idiot proof included...

Here are my specs....

Hayward equipment omni logic automation with I – phone remote

2 hp variable speed pump

320 cartridge filter

Auto clorinator Auto water filer Vgb compliant main drains ASME-ANSI-A112.19.8-2011

2 - l.e.d pool light 12 volt with transformer color Pool cleaner suction side 1 skimmer Perimeter 78 Area 347

Decking broom finish 200 sq ft mondo sq including coping

Cantilever coping 12in beam Tile waterline $16.00 per sq ft allowance

Plaster ( luna quartz pacific) light color

Pool brushing and start up and one month service

Gallons 11,300 

18" 18" Sun shelf 5ft 14 ft. 18" 18" 18"

250,000 btu heater 1 hp blower

2- fire bowls 24 in

3- 18in scuppers

18 in raised wall smooth finish 24 ft long

Raised spa 6in 1 hp water feature pump 

50 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

For anyone with automation, I have Hayward... they sell a cool waterproof floating remote for their omnilogic system, but its around $5-600 dollars... no way I was going to pay that so I bought a Kyocera DuraForce Pro on eBay for $35 that is waterproof for up to 30 mins. We just have pool app connected via Wifi on it so battery lasts weeks. Great for turning water features or spa blower on/off etc as well as controlling Smart TV via app so can more easily control TV from spa.

On the Hayward Omni logic with Omni direct lights there is a color listed as Burnt Orange.

Not perfect but better than anyone else

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, riloh05 said:

About to build...

any must haves that you wish you would have done. 

things you have that you would never do without.

hanging up and listening.

Built a few years ago...happy with all decisions especially going 4’ 6” depth all throughout the pool. I’m an old and kids are away in college...having parties with adults is great...ton of space to roam and the games of horse in the pool are nuts.

Also, check on the smooth finish...think ours is called wet edge. Feels great on feet and when sitting in spa and ledges.

I would have done one thing had I known with my spa. I would have put jets coming out of the seating area behind your legs...I just have them where they hit your back and it’s still great and you can put your legs up and sit sideways to get a leg “massage”...but would have totally added a few more for that.

The thing I would have done with the pool is smaller spill features. We have two 3’ wide shear “waterfall” features that look awesome...but they are ~three feet high and when you are in the pool with just a couple people it’s a bit loud due to the height and speed of the water hitting the pool.

But glad you can get one in...was very lucky to have this during the pandemic and lockdown mode...and when it is 100 plus degrees.

Have fun with your build...and check out troublefreepool.com. When I had questions...serious pros would chime in. They will give you feedback from start to finish...posted pics on there during build for certain feedback.

Also, if you’re in a really hot region and/or your pool will get direct sunlight for a lot of the day...check out Glacier Pool chillers. My neighbor did a ton of research so I grabbed one too...game changer in hot summer...and cost to run it is a fraction of the cost of standard chillers.

Edited by Tailgate

20 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Any issues/regrets on SWCG?  I've switched to Cal-Hypo for chlorine right now... first time pool owner and builder didn't give me enough information regarding "puck" issues and CYA.  For any first pool owners, figure this out early on as draining is only way to lower CYA and it can creep up fast using mainly tri-pucks.

As for automation, nothing better than being out at dinner or school event (football game, etc) and deciding... hey lets heat up the spa so it will be ready when we get home.

Sorry, it's only been about 6 weeks with SWCG so no issues to report.  I sealed the stone coping with some shit that was $170/gal so it better work.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Built a few years ago...happy with all decisions especially going 4’ 6” depth all throughout the pool. I’m an old and kids are away in college...having parties with adults is great...ton of space to roam and the games of horse in the pool are nuts.

Also, check on the smooth finish...think ours is called wet edge. Feels great on feet and when sitting in spa and ledges.

I would have done one thing had I known with my spa. I would have put jets coming out of the seating area behind your legs...I just have them where they hit your back and it’s still great and you can put your legs up and sit sideways to get a leg “massage”...but would have totally added a few more for that.

The thing I would have done with the pool is smaller spill features. We have two 3’ wide shear “waterfall” features that look awesome...but they are ~three feet high and when you are in the pool with just a couple people it’s a bit loud due to the height and speed of the water hitting the pool.

But glad you can get one in...was very lucky to have this during the pandemic and lockdown mode...and when it is 100 plus degrees.

Have fun with your build...and check out troublefreepool.com. When I had questions...serious pros would chime in. They will give you feedback from start to finish...posted pics on there during build for certain feedback.

Also, if you’re in a really hot region and/or your pool will get direct sunlight for a lot of the day...check out Glacier Pool chillers. My neighbor did a ton of research so I grabbed one too...game changer in hot summer...and cost to run it is a fraction of the cost of standard chillers.

Some great adds here, spa jets - I second this, wish added some leg level jets. Also, make sure you spa back level is slightly angled for better comfort. Mine also had two side benches that are  a couple inches higher that shorter wife really likes.  I didn't know there are different kinds of nozzles, some adjustable some changeable some more massaging etc. I'm ok with mine but would have liked to seen or tried others.

Depth - I don't have "deep" end either and gives way more room to spread out. Even with smaller kids I think I would prefer a no diving allowed pool at all times.

At this point, there are several other issues in the I won't put the company on blast publicly yet until this is finished, but if anyone in DFW is getting a pool and wants to know their name, PM me and I'll be happy to tell you.  They are one of the biggest in the metroplex based out of Plano.
Here she is in her current state in all her glory. 

Mind PMing me the company? I'm planning a remodel and would like to avoid

Sheeeit.

I suppose the goal is to keep circulation through the drains/returns, most of which are at least a few inches below the water surface.  Surely there's no way to get more than an inch of solid ice on top, at least overnight?  The biggest concern would be whether you'll still get return through your skimmers, though I don't know that there's much to do about that -- you could shut off the skimmer returns and hope they don't freeze, or leave them open and hope they don't just start pulling air into the system.  

I dunno, man, this sucks.  Although I'll trade outdoor pipe damage for one bursting inside.

34 minutes ago, Dutch said:

This might be a stupid question, but at this point I'm assuming it's too late to drain?  We were fine until rolling blackouts started (had my equipment nicely tarped with a worklight keeping things warm as long), but power's been off an hour now. 

As long as water flows your good.

Turn breaker off to all equipment.

Release pressure on filter.

Remove filter drain plug to drain water. At bottom of filter depending on type, likely need screwdriver or wrench to turn

Remove pump covers while draining, close after drained

Remove pump drain plugs to drain (usually finger turn plugs on side of pumps)

Heater also has drain plug you can open to drain any excess water.

Cover with tarp if have one after.

That's what I did to mine based on manuals winterizing just now.  No clue if best, just passing on. I did after read any freezing water in any of these voids warranty.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Will a typical homeowner’s policy cover damage to pool equipment caused by the freeze? I don’t have a pool, but my girlfriend  does and she’s freaking out about the possibility of having to make some pretty costly repairs.

It's not considered part of the home, but it does get covered under the "other structures" policy. I have an extra rider since the cabana doubles as my office and well closet so we bumped coverage to 40k or something. If you don't have that rider or the "other structures" component you may be fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We got so lucky with our pool.  It is older and was needing a face lift badly, so we hired Cody to redo it.  They had just finished chipping out down to gunite and we saw this coming, so we drained everything and they said they would come back when it’s back to warmer temps.  I think my pipes and pump wouldn’t have made it with this cold.

• Hook 'Em 1

As long as water flows your good.
Turn breaker off to all equipment.
Release pressure on filter.
Remove filter drain plug to drain water. At bottom of filter depending on type, likely need screwdriver or wrench to turn
Remove pump covers while draining, close after drained
Remove pump drain plugs to drain (usually finger turn plugs on side of pumps)
Heater also has drain plug you can open to drain any excess water.
Cover with tarp if have one after.

That's what I did to mine based on manuals winterizing just now.  No clue if best, just passing on. I did after read any freezing water in any of these voids warranty.

Just catching up but this is what I did at 2am last night. Still no power. Broke up all the ice with a shovel and will do the milk jug in skimmer, etc

6 hours ago, immamac said:

It's not considered part of the home, but it does get covered under the "other structures" policy. I have an extra rider since the cabana doubles as my office and well closet so we bumped coverage to 40k or something. If you don't have that rider or the "other structures" component you may be fucked. 

Yep...was extremely happy to hear this morning while starring at my new ice rink that Mrs. Tailgate made sure we had “other structures” in our policy. Even called USAA to confirm the word “swimming pool” was in there and the amount of coverage/deductible etc. I knew I had her around for a reason.

51 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Allegedly it absorbs the ice expansion and not the skimmer itself. Mine’s actually not frozen even though pool is. Just three a half filled milk jug in and out cover on top.

I cut up pieces of a pool noodle and dropped those in the skimmers. Tip from troublefreepool.com.

22 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

We got so lucky with our pool.  It is older and was needing a face lift badly, so we hired Cody to redo it.  They had just finished chipping out down to gunite and we saw this coming, so we drained everything and they said they would come back when it’s back to warmer temps.  I think my pipes and pump wouldn’t have made it with this cold.

This is where mine’s at.  I guess the one silver lining to the mess our pool project has been.

On 2/15/2021 at 7:08 PM, UT Football Fan said:

Here's my pool in Belton - both pumps have been running continuously and it still froze over.  Just praying the power stays on.  It's dark now and really windy and I don't want to try and drain the system during the night.

2021-02-15 07.58.03.jpg

2021-02-15 07.57.48.jpg

2021-02-15 07.21.38.jpg

Probably not the best time for a compliment but damn that’s a nice set up. Would like to see some photos when the weathers nice.

I knocked loose all the ice today in the pool and spa, yes, it started refreezing tonight.

Spa level dropped during freeze mode, so spa ice started taking small mousebite chunks out of my pebble finish.  Maybe a mistake on my part, but hard to say.  Will have to inspect it more when things fully thaw out.

Took off pump head and chlorinator caps yesterday and turned breakers off.  Will assess for damage on Sunday.

Didn't drain my backflow valve when we lost power (I was blind drunk and had other things on my mind), saw an icicle coming from the bottom of it today.  I'll take that apart as well after the thaw and see if there's any permanent damage.

I wish I had shut things down Sat or Sun and drained the pumps, but when I got up Monday morning and it was all frozen over, it was just too cold and windy to go out there and do it.  Hands were too cold in seconds.  Next time this kind of forecast comes up I'm winterizing.  Another 70 years?  Now I'm afraid to sleep in case the power goes out.  Pumps are still running right now, fingers crossed.

59 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Derkaville power beats Austin energy and PEC apparently

we’re very lucky. a lot of our hood is without. water on the other hand lost all pressure last night. it’s trickling out now but i might be resorting to pool water to flush toilets soon haha. 

• Rage+1 1