Yes: Pools are worth it....

7 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Just signed a contract for a new pool , travertine decking with a SWG, I’m assuming I should seal the travertine?

With who?  Texas Pools and Patios completely blew me off a few months ago.  Guy came out, sketched some shit up, said I'd hear back in a week or two and then... crickets.  Same thing happened with some other company out of Dripping Springs a couple weeks ago.  I got a third company coming out tomorrow.  

22 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

With who?  Texas Pools and Patios completely blew me off a few months ago.  Guy came out, sketched some shit up, said I'd hear back in a week or two and then... crickets.  Same thing happened with some other company out of Dripping Springs a couple weeks ago.  I got a third company coming out tomorrow.  

I called 15 pool companies in November. Ten of them never returned my calls. Two called me back to tell me "We aren't taking customers right now". The three that agreed to come talk to me and give me a proposal were Anthony & Sylvan, Cody Pools, & Texas Pools & Patios.

We ended up picking TP&P, and they told me that they only agreed to come out because I had a referral from a customer they liked. Their backlog is big enough that they are only picking the projects they want.

Every single pool company in Austin is slammed due to a huge increase in demand from Covid, and a slowdown in supplies and labor. A few of the ones I called said they stopped putting signs in yards to advertise themselves, just to slow down the calls. I'd recommend reaching back out to companies to ask them what their availability is, and not wait for them to call you back. Otherwise, you're going to just be waiting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just signed a contract for a new pool , travertine decking with a SWG, I’m assuming I should seal the travertine?

I just sealed my coping not the decking. Never had a problem with decking not being sealed. Every week or two I would hose down the coping and the decking with fresh water as a precaution. I resealed the coping every year. Never had a problem and I would never have a pool without an SWG.
  • Like 1

I just sealed my coping not the decking. Never had a problem with decking not being sealed. Every week or two I would hose down the coping and the decking with fresh water as a precaution. I resealed the coping every year. Never had a problem and I would never have a pool without an SWG.

Thanks , same last pool was salt , was considering maybe going regular Chlorine but after reading how much constant attention it requires and the hassle buying and lugging chlorine from the store I decided not to, got the harder stone because of it as well.
  • Like 1

Lol yep I had the same issue , I think only one called me back when shopping around and flat out said they couldn’t beat the quote we had without even looking into it. Luckily I had already reached out to another company last summer snd got a quote , design guy lives a block away so maybe that had something to do with it. I wanted to go with this company anyways but wanted to get other quotes as well but it was pretty much impossible .

They only serve dfw sounds like youre in Austin .
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thoughts on plunge pools? I’m thinking an 8ftx8ft with a 4ft depth that has a heating option

@Landomatic knows a guy that can get it done real quick!

Seriously though, it's all about what you want out of the pool and how you plan to use it.  My spa is 7' round.  8x8 is pretty much a large hot tub size so definitely would heat fairly quickly.  I'd personally want a little more room to splash around or float in.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

@Landomatic knows a guy that can get it done real quick!

Seriously though, it's all about what you want out of the pool and how you plan to use it.  My spa is 7' round.  8x8 is pretty much a large hot tub size so definitely would heat fairly quickly.  I'd personally want a little more room to splash around or float in.

I want it to drink beer in when I come home from work during the summer and to cool off on the weekends and to drink beer in when I come home home from work or the weekends during the winter lol. I don't think I need a full sized pool for my needs. Perhaps a spa would be best for me? 

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I want it to drink beer in when I come home from work during the summer and to cool off on the weekends and to drink beer in when I come home home from work or the weekends during the winter lol. I don't think I need a full sized pool for my needs. Perhaps a spa would be best for me? 

A spa is what I thought of immediately.  Cheaper, no pool company to deal with, can move it or throw it away in the future. minimal construction.

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It would work. Just add the avatar and you're all set.

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

"A new spa!"

hot_tub.gif.426ba411f4064c15c56225fe341b7b74.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Getting some quotes in finally. 

Due to the size of the yard and some heritage oaks we must stay a minimum distance from, one PB came up with a design we like that's about 9500 gallons (5' max depth, 30x20 free form) with a spa. But he can't fit any decking in - some combination of there just isn't room (trees, etc) to get the permit approved and they have a minimum sq footage required for decking we'd be under for what would fit. PB says we can do whatever landscaping/decking we want after the pool is installed with pavers or whatever. 

I'm generally okay with that, except the quote is still right at 100k - which seems high for a fairly small and simple pool+spa with no decking, water features etc. The quote does not include fencing, turf repair, etc. Just the pool+spa and equipment including a SWG.  Coping and tile is included for concrete or limestone/sandstone, but would be more for travertine or other options. 

Is that just what it is now in Austin? I know demand is through the roof, and companies have more business than they can handle, but hot damn that seems high for a very basic small pool. 

Also, it's maddening trying to figure out what kind of stone is compatible with salt water. I know concrete is safe, and most limestones and sandstones are likely not. 

I've read mixed things are Lueder limestone, Oklahoma flagstone, and travertine. The TFP forums are all over the place w a lot of people saying salt corrosion of stone is a myth, but a few saying it is a real problem is certain areas, central Texas being one - due to climate and the prevalent stones available. Anyone have first hand experience or advice? 

15 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

Also, it's maddening trying to figure out what kind of stone is compatible with salt water. I know concrete is safe, and most limestones and sandstones are likely not. 

I've read mixed things are Lueder limestone, Oklahoma flagstone, and travertine. The TFP forums are all over the place w a lot of people saying salt corrosion of stone is a myth, but a few saying it is a real problem is certain areas, central Texas being one - due to climate and the prevalent stones available. Anyone have first hand experience or advice? 

Anybody who says salt water doesn't have deleterious effects on stone, and flagstone in particular is an idiot.  CAN you have the exceptions?   Sure.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

Getting some quotes in finally. 

Due to the size of the yard and some heritage oaks we must stay a minimum distance from, one PB came up with a design we like that's about 9500 gallons (5' max depth, 30x20 free form) with a spa. But he can't fit any decking in - some combination of there just isn't room (trees, etc) to get the permit approved and they have a minimum sq footage required for decking we'd be under for what would fit. PB says we can do whatever landscaping/decking we want after the pool is installed with pavers or whatever. 

I'm generally okay with that, except the quote is still right at 100k - which seems high for a fairly small and simple pool+spa with no decking, water features etc. The quote does not include fencing, turf repair, etc. Just the pool+spa and equipment including a SWG.  Coping and tile is included for concrete or limestone/sandstone, but would be more for travertine or other options. 

Is that just what it is now in Austin? I know demand is through the roof, and companies have more business than they can handle, but hot damn that seems high for a very basic small pool. 

30x20 isn't that small. 9500 gallons doesn't compute for that size. At 4' average depth, it's twice that in gallons unless there's a really large tanning shelf or something.

But yes, pools are expensive these days.  Mine was under $90k but smaller than yours with some concrete decking being one of the cheaper components.  I have Oklahoma flagstone coping and only 4 months in so can't say how the salt is affecting it. I sealed it best I could though so that should help.

Anybody who says salt water doesn't have deleterious effects on stone, and flagstone in particular is an idiot.  CAN you have the exceptions?   Sure.  

You are gonna end up with a fair amount of salt in your pool regardless when adding chemicals and bather load with regular chlorine .

I think it’s more due to the materials used , flagstone in this region is just softer then up north.

1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

You are gonna end up with a fair amount of salt in your pool regardless when adding chemicals and bather load with regular chlorine .

I think it’s more due to the materials used , flagstone in this region is just softer then up north.

I'm assuming you mean sand.  I've got flagstone on my pool and no sand.  You can spot saltwater pools with flagstone pretty easy.  

Straight chlorine tab pools don't have these issues.  Or they're very very rare and more to do with really bad or cheap flagstone.

I'm assuming you mean sand.  I've got flagstone on my pool and no sand.  You can spot saltwater pools with flagstone pretty easy.  
Straight chlorine tab pools don't have these issues.  Or they're very very rare and more to do with really bad or cheap flagstone.

No I meant salt , liquid chlorine adds the most salt but all forms increase salt levels some, after a few years I bet most pools are above the 1000ppm salt level . Less than a swg pool but still up there.

10 hours ago, PantsTent said:

30x20 isn't that small. 9500 gallons doesn't compute for that size. At 4' average depth, it's twice that in gallons unless there's a really large tanning shelf or something.

Yeah I think the 20x30 would be if you drew a rectangle that fit the entire thing, so the max length/width. But it's free-form with some dips and curves. I believe the perimeter is 88 linear feet. 420-ish in area, and there is a medium? tanning shelf.  I haven't calculated it myself though, just going on what was printed out. 

4 hours ago, Quagmire said:

No I meant salt , liquid chlorine adds the most salt but all forms increase salt levels some, after a few years I bet most pools are above the 1000ppm salt level . Less than a swg pool but still up there.

Yes, salt in bleach.  Not unheard of to use bleach in Texas, but minimal compared to tabs.  I'm missing how much salt could be added with tabs and shock.  

holy shit at the prices mentioned above 😳 glad we got ours 15 years ago! we're also in central Austin so space was limited, we ended up with 13,500 gallons for only about 35k. 

csb: we finished construction around Christmas 2005...and i made a bet with my husband, if the Longhorns won i would 'christen' the pool. they did, i did... and i almost gave myself a heart attack bc the water temp was like 40 degrees! 😁

anyway...renovation near completion! 2 week delay on plaster but they got it done this morning and i love it! 😍😁 my goal was for it to be as blue as possible, i think this is gonna look great with water in it!

acid wash tomorrow am and then start water, should be full some time Thursday... exciting!

20210420_150300.jpg

20210420_150320.jpg

OH...but we still need some landscaping, ugh... those ugly stumps around the waterfall used to be gorgeous huge 15 year old fan palms ☹ guess we'll try to buy some semi-mature ones to replace them. putting this place on the market in about a year and definitely want to bill it as 'an urban oasis'!

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

b906311d5ae255161ff901fe55b34d64.jpg
So my yard flooded after that monsoon rain Saturday. Prolly rained 1” in an hour here in rrock. My yard couldnt keep up and when the water hopped on the patio my deck drain and slope to the patio couldnt keep up. Sheet flowed into the pool. Mud, grass, leaves, uggh. I vacumned the floor, would drain down like 3 feet and refilled over and over sun and mon. It wouldnt clear up much. Cleanned and drained the filter. Everyone I talked to said to drain it all and start over. I was worried about the plaster being exposed too long tryng to refill the whole thing with my house hoses. Had a 2000 gal potable water truck set up. Ran into a guy at a construction supply house that gave me a phone number to another pool clean company. Figured what tje hell and called them up and they said not to drain to give them a chance. Man this guy didnt javk around. Came out with a pump and sock and got it cleaned up. Cleaned the filter and been running it 24/7. Its looking way better but a bit cloudy. Should be good in a couple days. This guy saved several $225 water tuck loads.
I know, TLDR, #whitepeopleproblems

8ed717fd0435b911b69b3294502c5cda.jpg
41b9943696379216e4381a0f0f5d9bd5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

b906311d5ae255161ff901fe55b34d64.jpg
So my yard flooded after that monsoon rain Saturday. Prolly rained 1” in an hour here in rrock. My yard couldnt keep up and when the water hopped on the patio my deck drain and slope to the patio couldnt keep up. Sheet flowed into the pool. Mud, grass, leaves, uggh. I vacumned the floor, would drain down like 3 feet and refilled over and over sun and mon. It wouldnt clear up much. Cleanned and drained the filter. Everyone I talked to said to drain it all and start over. I was worried about the plaster being exposed too long tryng to refill the whole thing with my house hoses. Had a 2000 gal potable water truck set up. Ran into a guy at a construction supply house that gave me a phone number to another pool clean company. Figured what tje hell and called them up and they said not to drain to give them a chance. Man this guy didnt javk around. Came out with a pump and sock and got it cleaned up. Cleaned the filter and been running it 24/7. Its looking way better but a bit cloudy. Should be good in a couple days. This guy saved several $225 water tuck loads.
I know, TLDR, #whitepeopleproblems

8ed717fd0435b911b69b3294502c5cda.jpg
41b9943696379216e4381a0f0f5d9bd5.jpg

That trampoline isn’t close enough to the pool for the kids to use it correctly.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

First thing my kid mentioned when I told him we are building a pool,

Can we put the trampoline next to it

Dealt with a six figure liability claim several years ago for someone whose kid’s friend overshot the pool.  In talking to the claims adjuster during the process, he said going long is far worse than coming up a little short, so tell the kiddo to keep that in mind.

I don’t think I could go with an electric robot. In Spring so much crap falls into my pool that I have to run the filter and cleaner a lot. The old school Polaris is pretty easy to swap parts on so Imma stick with it. Just put a new tail on it and it scoots.

eea302366a13675d0ae6889d46b25f54.jpg

That surface was totally clear an hour ago. Big gust came up and...thanks Mother Nature.

Purchased a home a few years ago which was my first with a pool.  The home was completely gutted and remodeled a couple years back but the pool was largely left untouched.  Aside from relatively new plumbing and piping, it’s not a stretch to think the pool itself is all original from 30+ years ago.  It looks great from afar but upon closer inspection, it’s hurting.  Big time.  Small cracks everywhere in the plaster which, combined with the seemingly never-ending pollen, makes it nearly impossible to keep it looking clean for more than a few days at best.  The Polaris can’t get to the higher walls and cracks which are always full of dirt and compounds on itself.  The pool guy can barely keep up.     

I knew when I bought the house the pool would have to be redone sooner rather than later and I can’t imagine going more than another a year or so without doing it.  But, I don’t even know where to begin?  It’s a large pool (16k +/- gallons if I had to guess?), all plaster aside from the tile edges.  I’d love to do a tile throughout but given the cost savings, I may stick with re-tiling of the perimeter and a new plaster.  

Generally speaking, what does something like this even cost?  Given everything which has occurred in the past few months am I better off investing in one of the super high-end Polaris’ or Dolphins to hold me over until things slow down next year or does it look like this may go on indefinitely?  Are companies even doing this now or are they too busy with the big six figure construction jobs? 

Help me, I’m dumb.  And I have no idea what I’m doing   

@mchookem looks like you just went through something similar?

Edited by Chet Steadman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

Purchased a home a few years ago which was my first with a pool.  The home was completely gutted and remodeled a couple years back but the pool was largely left untouched.  Aside from relatively new plumbing and piping, it’s not a stretch to think the pool itself is all original from 30+ years ago.  It looks great from afar but upon closer inspection, it’s hurting.  Big time.  Small cracks everywhere in the plaster which, combined with the seemingly never-ending pollen, makes it nearly impossible to keep it looking clean for more than a few days at best.  The Polaris can’t get to the higher walls and cracks which are always full of dirt and compounds on itself.  The pool guy can barely keep up.     

I knew when I bought the house the pool would have to be redone sooner rather than later and I can’t imagine going more than another a year or so without doing it.  But, I don’t even know where to begin?  It’s a large pool (16k +/- gallons if I had to guess?), all plaster aside from the tile edges.  I’d love to do a tile throughout but given the cost savings, I may stick with re-tiling of the perimeter and a new plaster.  

Generally speaking, what does something like this even cost?  Given everything which has occurred in the past few months am I better off investing in one of the super high-end Polaris’ or Dolphins to hold me over until things slow down next year or does it look like this may go on indefinitely?  Are companies even doing this now or are they too busy with the big six figure construction jobs? 

You should put it off until the labor and material shortages work themselves out if you can.

Get a robot instead of a polaris.  they are electric and scrub the walls better.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

yes i did... and i was also hesitant about how to get it done, but in the end it was fairly easy and i'm very happy with the company i chose.

as for cost...i got 3 bids and they varied widely! i was expecting to pay $20k...i got one bid that was almost $30k, and two others in the $13-15k range. i did research on the companies, and not surprisingly the highest bid had great reviews, the other two were very mixed.

BUT...the high bid guy really acted like it was a nuisance for him to bid, very condescending with me... honestly felt like my little Allandale pool was 'beneath' him lol. 

so i went with the cheapest bid, not just for cost but bc i liked the guy, he was thorough, and the bad reviews seemed mostly about their pool service, not the renovations. 

in the end i am very happy, even with a couple bumps in the process. 🙂 and it looks great! 

if you're in austin i'd recommend. 

20210424_193220.jpg

• Like 3

I just ready 27 pages of pool talk.  I've got to say that it was fascinating reading through the posts knowing that the Covid shutdown was coming as well as the Freeze-mageddon back in Feb. 

I'm looking into installing a pool and while I'm waiting on my bid to come in, I have a few questions for the group, but first here's the basic stats:

It's a modern design, being one big rectangle 44' x 16' 

At one end is an 8' x 8' spa with an 8' x 8' tanning ledge next to it

The "pool" part is 36' x 16' with an 8.5' deep end and 3.5' shallow end

The spa is the same level as the pool

The plan is to do one of those vinyl mechanical covers that runs on tracks under the coping to cover the whole thing, the reason for this is the two giant live oak trees that have limbs overhanging one end of the pool.  I live in Midland and there just aren't many decent tress here, so taking the trees out isn't an option (I'd rather not put in the pool if removing the trees is a requirement). 

Onto the questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with these mechanical covers similar to this?

Automatic-Swimming-Pool-Cover-ACP365.jpg

2) Do we think keeping the cover closed when the tree is shitting leaves in the spring will be sufficient to keep me from losing my mind?

3) What sort of system does the group think is best to keep it clean considering we have a lot of blowing dust + I'll have some leaves to deal with?

4) Apparently the costs for a pool install are quite high here.  I'm being told to prepare for NLAA because a basic bitch kidney pool with spa starts around $100k and what I'm talking about will be significantly more.  Am I crazy?

Also, here is a sketch the architect did.  The black squiggly lines are rough dimensions of the canopies on the live oaks.  Also, we decided to make the pool a couple of feet narrower since this drawing was done, which is why the dimensions don't line up with what's in my post above:

2009010067_DesignSketch2-BackyardOnly.thumb.jpg.4a444ebaa85251c7a4acde5b89ea9246.jpg

Long post.

Thoughts on this estimate?  Not so much on price... I know shits expensive.  I’m more looking for thoughts on the equipment choices and the construction materials. This is for a no-frills, no features, basic 14k gallon pool, in Austin.  It’s just me and my two teenage boys so no need for tanning ledges, spa, travertine, etc...  Just a place to cool off and have fun.  Any red flags here?  Anything I’d end up wishing I didn’t own or wishing I’d done different on equipment choices?  This post is my first step of researching the equipment.  I have no idea what that stuff is.  I assume it’s the cheap shit many of you are posting about upgrading from.  

General Specifications

Pool dimensions: 17' 6" x 27' 7" 

Pool perimeter: 90 ft

Pool surface area: 421 sqft

Pool depth: 3ft x 4.5ft x 6ft

Total gallons: 14,190

Approvals

All fees and inspections included, as required by the city

Assistance with required plans and forms, Fees by buyer

$2,000,000 General Liabilty and Workers Compensation Insurance provided. Design meets current standards as detailed by ISPSC guidelines.

Final construction plans will be supplied for approval.

Design will be marked in yard for approval.

Excavation

Fence: Not Required/By Others

Temporary orange fence will be installed during construction Standard clearances required.

Complete rock excavation is included

All excavation material to be hauled away, unless specified

1 Loads of Gravel Base under Pool Structure included

Steel and gunite 

Shell: 1/2 inch Steel Rebar on 10 inch Centers, both ways.

Bond beam: 1/2 inch Steel Rebar X 4

Concrete: Dry Mix Gunite rated to exceed APSP Building Standards

Thickness: 12" Bond Beam, 8-10" Walls/Floor All elevated/exposed walls to be 12"

Plumbing & Electrical

Plumbing Note: Your pool plumbing system is designed with safety as the primary consideration. All suction and pressure, (fixtures and fittings) which we install shall conform to the manufacturers flow rate specifications. In addition, all suction fixtures are connected to a secondary fixture to provide for suction RELIEF FLOW. Main drains are fitted with VGB approved safety drain covers, which are to remain in place at all times. The complete plumbing system shall be assembled and pressure tested throughout the construction process. Plumbing is assembled and configured to balance the suction and pressure side for flow efficient operation.

Fill Line: Overflow Line: Cleaner Line:

Gas Line:

Pool pipes: Up to 3 inch Schedule 40 PVC.

Returns: (4) Directional flush mount inlets, placed for maximum efficiency. 

Skimmers: (2) Aquastar Skimmer, Indepenendently plumbed for optimum control. 

Drains: (2) 10 inch SDX, VGB compliant. 

Fill line: N/A

Overflow line: included

Cleaner line: (1) Independently plumbed

Electrical Note: provide for the complete electrical connection of all lighting and equipment, which includes all linear footage of in-ground service w/all terminations, grounding, bonding, and mechanical installation. All electrical work shall meet local and national standards to include the installation of ground fault interrupters. All lighting and mechanical equipment is bonded and grounded for safety, and all testing and safety inspections are provided.

Stone and tile:

6” band at waterline- frostproof

Limestone coping

Decking & Walls

Reinforcement: 3/8in. Rebar 16in. On Center, 4in. Crushed Base, 3/8in. Mastic Joint Deck material: 449 sqft of Sundek - Classic lvl 1

Steps: 13.5 lf

Turndown: N/A

Deck O-drain: 33 ft

Drainage pipe: N/A

Umbrella sleeves: (2) with cap.

Retaining walls: N/A

Pool/Spa Interior: 

Pool interior finish: Pebble Sheen

Entry: 3 Step Entry

Benches: (6.5) lf total

Start up: Complete start-up chemicals for balance and stabilization

Maintenance: 16' Telescopic Pole, Vacuum Head & Hose, Brush, Net, Test Kit & Thermometer 

Clean-up: 1 load of fill, spread and graded.

Equipment

Primary pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VSF 

Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 520 Cartridge

Cleaner: Pentair Racer w/ booster

Control box: Pentair EasyTouch P-4

Sanitizer: In-Line Chlor w/ Ultra UV Sys 

Light: (1) Pentair IntelliBrite WHITE LED 12v

Pad: Delayed Equipment Set W/ Precast Pad

Warranties

Gunite shell: Lifetime

Equipment: 3 Year (parts & labor) 

Plumbing: 1 Year

Decks: 1 Year

Tile/coping: 1 year

Light: 3 years

PV3 infloor heads: Lifetime

Pebble plaster: 15 Years

Controls: 3 Years

By Owner/Others

Reroute sprinkler and utility lines if required

Landscaping, Grass or Mulch

Modification or Upgrade to existing electrical and/or gas meter/service panel Gutters and Gutter Drain Pipes

Supply accurate survey to property

Water supply for filling of pool and gunite process

Total price: $76,777

40% upon due completion of Excavation, 30% upon completion of Gunite, 20% upon completion of Decks, 10% prior to Plaster

Recommended Options

Paramount PV3 In-for cleaning and circulation system - $8000

The ultimate in pool cleaning. Pop-up nozzles built into the pool during construction will clean debris from steps, benches, fountain walls and spa. Virtually undetectable when not in use, each nozzle pushes debris from the corners of the pool in a series toward a MDX debris removal drain. Large debris is then trapped in a canister before passing though the filter system.

Paramount ULTRA UV System - Included

Adding a ULTRA UV sanitizer to your pool or spa will provide 99.99% contaminant-free water while reducing the use of chemicals. Trident UV units deactivate bacteria, germs, viruses, and algae, thus reducing maintanence costs dramatically and prolonging the life of your pool and equipment

Pebble Sheen Interior Finish (Level 1) - $1,545

Pool finish provides the exquisite appearance of fine polished stone, creating a stunning, visual effect. Pebble Sheen is developed by combining smaller vibrant, naturally colored stones of many stunning color combinations. Every Pebble Sheen finish is lightly buffed to ensure a smooth and beautiful appearance.

Screen Logic Adapter w/ Wireless Connector - $748

Now you can use your Apple, Android or PC to control all key functions of your pool or spa, from across the deck or around the globe. New software that communicates with the ScreenLogic interface of your new EasyTouch control system is available as a free download. Once it’s installed, you can control everything from pool and spa temperatures, to jets, lighting, water features and more—right from your personal device.

We basically narrowed it down to 2 designs.  The one with the structure was the girlfriend’s idea because my neighbor on that side has a 2-story house and she doesn’t want them watching us fuck in the pool.  But to have that included, and to stay enough distance from my live oaks (bigger than in the rendering), and to stay out of my no-build easement on the back fence the pool would have to be 13 feet across the narrow sides.  I saw a pool that size and it seemed really skinny.  
The other design has a slightly bigger and better proportioned pool, but no shielding from nosy neighbors.  That’s the one I’m leaning toward. Ignore the hot tub.  Was messing around and moving it out of the way and forgot to delete it.

AD3B7E44-F3FA-43A7-8C9C-1C4A270280EA.jpeg.6fde5330658e6ea5af2808d31280aa5e.jpeg
04C3F5F6-9EF5-4EE8-B8C8-6D4F47A8B021.jpeg.bf819d3efbbf6f80e4340e0179201b1f.jpeg

73E19635-A5E8-4A4B-98DD-5065C670D052.jpeg.b67dc43a42154612d3f7d099ed6a4f28.jpeg

C5CDF820-35C4-497C-B7B3-81946E83D058.jpeg.1f7c7fdee7a69bb550ee9ce20a74ee25.jpeg

Long post.
Thoughts on this estimate?  Not so much on price... I know shits expensive.  I’m more looking for thoughts on the equipment choices and the construction materials. This is for a no-frills, no features, basic 14k gallon pool, in Austin.  It’s just me and my two teenage boys so no need for tanning ledges, spa, travertine, etc...  Just a place to cool off and have fun.  Any red flags here?  Anything I’d end up wishing I didn’t own or wishing I’d done different on equipment choices?  This post is my first step of researching the equipment.  I have no idea what that stuff is.  I assume it’s the cheap shit many of you are posting about upgrading from.  

General Specifications

Pool dimensions: 17' 6" x 27' 7" 

Pool perimeter: 90 ft

Pool surface area: 421 sqft

Pool depth: 3ft x 4.5ft x 6ft

Total gallons: 14,190

Approvals

All fees and inspections included, as required by the city

Assistance with required plans and forms, Fees by buyer

$2,000,000 General Liabilty and Workers Compensation Insurance provided. Design meets current standards as detailed by ISPSC guidelines.

Final construction plans will be supplied for approval.

Design will be marked in yard for approval.

Excavation

Fence: Not Required/By Others

Temporary orange fence will be installed during construction Standard clearances required.

Complete rock excavation is included

All excavation material to be hauled away, unless specified

1 Loads of Gravel Base under Pool Structure included

Steel and gunite 

Shell: 1/2 inch Steel Rebar on 10 inch Centers, both ways.

Bond beam: 1/2 inch Steel Rebar X 4

Concrete: Dry Mix Gunite rated to exceed APSP Building Standards

Thickness: 12" Bond Beam, 8-10" Walls/Floor All elevated/exposed walls to be 12"

Plumbing & Electrical

Plumbing Note: Your pool plumbing system is designed with safety as the primary consideration. All suction and pressure, (fixtures and fittings) which we install shall conform to the manufacturers flow rate specifications. In addition, all suction fixtures are connected to a secondary fixture to provide for suction RELIEF FLOW. Main drains are fitted with VGB approved safety drain covers, which are to remain in place at all times. The complete plumbing system shall be assembled and pressure tested throughout the construction process. Plumbing is assembled and configured to balance the suction and pressure side for flow efficient operation.

Fill Line: Overflow Line: Cleaner Line:

Gas Line:

Pool pipes: Up to 3 inch Schedule 40 PVC.

Returns: (4) Directional flush mount inlets, placed for maximum efficiency. 

Skimmers: (2) Aquastar Skimmer, Indepenendently plumbed for optimum control. 

Drains: (2) 10 inch SDX, VGB compliant. 

Fill line: N/A

Overflow line: included

Cleaner line: (1) Independently plumbed

Electrical Note: provide for the complete electrical connection of all lighting and equipment, which includes all linear footage of in-ground service w/all terminations, grounding, bonding, and mechanical installation. All electrical work shall meet local and national standards to include the installation of ground fault interrupters. All lighting and mechanical equipment is bonded and grounded for safety, and all testing and safety inspections are provided.

Stone and tile:

6” band at waterline- frostproof

Limestone coping

Decking & Walls

Reinforcement: 3/8in. Rebar 16in. On Center, 4in. Crushed Base, 3/8in. Mastic Joint Deck material: 449 sqft of Sundek - Classic lvl 1

Steps: 13.5 lf

Turndown: N/A

Deck O-drain: 33 ft

Drainage pipe: N/A

Umbrella sleeves: (2) with cap.

Retaining walls: N/A

Pool/Spa Interior: 

Pool interior finish: Pebble Sheen

Entry: 3 Step Entry

Benches: (6.5) lf total

Start up: Complete start-up chemicals for balance and stabilization

Maintenance: 16' Telescopic Pole, Vacuum Head & Hose, Brush, Net, Test Kit & Thermometer 

Clean-up: 1 load of fill, spread and graded.

Equipment

Primary pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VSF 

Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 520 Cartridge

Cleaner: Pentair Racer w/ booster

Control box: Pentair EasyTouch P-4

Sanitizer: In-Line Chlor w/ Ultra UV Sys 

Light: (1) Pentair IntelliBrite WHITE LED 12v

Pad: Delayed Equipment Set W/ Precast Pad

Warranties

Gunite shell: Lifetime

Equipment: 3 Year (parts & labor) 

Plumbing: 1 Year

Decks: 1 Year

Tile/coping: 1 year

Light: 3 years

PV3 infloor heads: Lifetime

Pebble plaster: 15 Years

Controls: 3 Years

By Owner/Others

Reroute sprinkler and utility lines if required

Landscaping, Grass or Mulch

Modification or Upgrade to existing electrical and/or gas meter/service panel Gutters and Gutter Drain Pipes

Supply accurate survey to property

Water supply for filling of pool and gunite process

Total price: $76,777

40% upon due completion of Excavation, 30% upon completion of Gunite, 20% upon completion of Decks, 10% prior to Plaster

Recommended Options

Paramount PV3 In-for cleaning and circulation system - $8000

The ultimate in pool cleaning. Pop-up nozzles built into the pool during construction will clean debris from steps, benches, fountain walls and spa. Virtually undetectable when not in use, each nozzle pushes debris from the corners of the pool in a series toward a MDX debris removal drain. Large debris is then trapped in a canister before passing though the filter system.

Paramount ULTRA UV System - Included

Adding a ULTRA UV sanitizer to your pool or spa will provide 99.99% contaminant-free water while reducing the use of chemicals. Trident UV units deactivate bacteria, germs, viruses, and algae, thus reducing maintanence costs dramatically and prolonging the life of your pool and equipment

Pebble Sheen Interior Finish (Level 1) - $1,545

Pool finish provides the exquisite appearance of fine polished stone, creating a stunning, visual effect. Pebble Sheen is developed by combining smaller vibrant, naturally colored stones of many stunning color combinations. Every Pebble Sheen finish is lightly buffed to ensure a smooth and beautiful appearance.

Screen Logic Adapter w/ Wireless Connector - $748

Now you can use your Apple, Android or PC to control all key functions of your pool or spa, from across the deck or around the globe. New software that communicates with the ScreenLogic interface of your new EasyTouch control system is available as a free download. Once it’s installed, you can control everything from pool and spa temperatures, to jets, lighting, water features and more—right from your personal device.

The pay schedule is common but try to negotiate for the payments to be more back ended. If the builder is basically just a sole proprietor he’s almost certainly using your money to finish up someone else’s pool. If he doesn’t have another build after yours then he can take a very long time to scrounge the money to finish your pool. That happened to me and I had to finish my pool on my own.

Thanks, that’s good advice.  The builder is Cody. I tried to go with smaller local guys but 4 in a row completely blew me off.  2 never called or emailed back and the other 2 came out and took measurements with a promise to get back in a week or so with an estimate, never to be heard from again.  I assume they are just swamped with pools more expensive than this but I’m not chasing anybody down for the privilege of giving them my money.  Cody showed up and came back.  

27 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Thanks, that’s good advice.  The builder is Cody. I tried to go with smaller local guys but 4 in a row completely blew me off.  2 never called or emailed back and the other 2 came out and took measurements with a promise to get back in a week or so with an estimate, never to be heard from again.  I assume they are just swamped with pools more expensive than this but I’m not chasing anybody down for the privilege of giving them my money.  Cody showed up and came back.  

Cody isn't going anywhere.  Front end load on build is typical and 70% through gunite is common.

Only thing I would change is going to colored led lighting.  But partly depends on interior finish color.  Darker the finish, less likely would do colored lighting.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/14/2021 at 11:15 PM, Your Mom said:

We basically narrowed it down to 2 designs.  The one with the structure was the girlfriend’s idea because my neighbor on that side has a 2-story house and she doesn’t want them watching us fuck in the pool.  But to have that included, and to stay enough distance from my live oaks (bigger than in the rendering), and to stay out of my no-build easement on the back fence the pool would have to be 13 feet across the narrow sides.  I saw a pool that size and it seemed really skinny.  
The other design has a slightly bigger and better proportioned pool, but no shielding from nosy neighbors.  That’s the one I’m leaning toward. Ignore the hot tub.  Was messing around and moving it out of the way and forgot to delete it.

Build the bigger pool, and then if the neighbors become an issue, plant some big ass clumping bamboo as a privacy screen.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:46 PM, Your Mom said:

It’s just me and my two teenage boys so no need for tanning ledges, spa, travertine, etc...

On 5/14/2021 at 11:15 PM, Your Mom said:

The one with the structure was the girlfriend’s idea because my neighbor on that side has a 2-story house and she doesn’t want them watching us fuck in the pool.  

Also, these two statements seem incongruous. 

Perhaps you may want that spa?

On 5/11/2021 at 11:06 PM, Chet Steadman said:

fill in the cracks with leslie's plaster repair - and buy a damned P40 like I linked before. Anyone bitching about the old model polaris just needs to get this thing it's the best of robot and the best of suction side all in one. 

• Like 1

Well closed on the new home 4/28 and broke ground last week.  36X17 with 7X7 spa.   Saltwater. 3.5 to 6 feet deep.  3 bubblers on the tanning ledge.  Raised rear wall with 3 sheer descents and fire bowls on the end columns.  Designed the pool to span the length of the back patio where we will have full length stairs leading to a pretty good size deck and will be adding outdoor fireplace and built in BBQ on the ends of the patio as well.

3DE2CA3C-B483-47CB-99DD-5AC1B46D21EB.jpeg

CE6BC5E7-E67B-443B-BD81-A30D91EFBE27.jpeg

E8F7A119-F02C-4055-8559-0B88CD15AAAA.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/14/2021 at 9:23 AM, BTW said:

I just ready 27 pages of pool talk.  I've got to say that it was fascinating reading through the posts knowing that the Covid shutdown was coming as well as the Freeze-mageddon back in Feb. 

I'm looking into installing a pool and while I'm waiting on my bid to come in, I have a few questions for the group, but first here's the basic stats:

It's a modern design, being one big rectangle 44' x 16' 

At one end is an 8' x 8' spa with an 8' x 8' tanning ledge next to it

The "pool" part is 36' x 16' with an 8.5' deep end and 3.5' shallow end

The spa is the same level as the pool

The plan is to do one of those vinyl mechanical covers that runs on tracks under the coping to cover the whole thing, the reason for this is the two giant live oak trees that have limbs overhanging one end of the pool.  I live in Midland and there just aren't many decent tress here, so taking the trees out isn't an option (I'd rather not put in the pool if removing the trees is a requirement). 

Onto the questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with these mechanical covers similar to this?

Automatic-Swimming-Pool-Cover-ACP365.jpg

2) Do we think keeping the cover closed when the tree is shitting leaves in the spring will be sufficient to keep me from losing my mind?

3) What sort of system does the group think is best to keep it clean considering we have a lot of blowing dust + I'll have some leaves to deal with?

4) Apparently the costs for a pool install are quite high here.  I'm being told to prepare for NLAA because a basic bitch kidney pool with spa starts around $100k and what I'm talking about will be significantly more.  Am I crazy?

No experiences with these in-ground retractable covers on the Surl?