Yes: Pools are worth it....

My biggest problem with oaks is the shade. Pool is too cold in summer and have to use a floating bubble cover to reduce heat loss at night. Your cover prevents that, but you may have enough direct sun.

Leaves are a pain for 2 weeks and pollen is rough for 2 or 3 but manageable if you keep up with it.

Thought those full mechanical covers were to save kids. Also what happens to rain?

On 5/16/2021 at 4:31 PM, immamac said:

fill in the cracks with leslie's plaster repair - and buy a damned P40 like I linked before. Anyone bitching about the old model polaris just needs to get this thing it's the best of robot and the best of suction side all in one. 

And has a 10 year immamac warranty just like anything sold on the for sale thread

Long post.
Thoughts on this estimate?  Not so much on price... I know shits expensive.  I’m more looking for thoughts on the equipment choices and the construction materials. This is for a no-frills, no features, basic 14k gallon pool, in Austin.  It’s just me and my two teenage boys so no need for tanning ledges, spa, travertine, etc...  Just a place to cool off and have fun.  Any red flags here?  Anything I’d end up wishing I didn’t own or wishing I’d done different on equipment choices?  This post is my first step of researching the equipment.  I have no idea what that stuff is.  I assume it’s the cheap shit many of you are posting about upgrading from.  

General Specifications

Pool dimensions: 17' 6" x 27' 7" 

Pool perimeter: 90 ft

Pool surface area: 421 sqft

Pool depth: 3ft x 4.5ft x 6ft

Total gallons: 14,190

Approvals

All fees and inspections included, as required by the city

Assistance with required plans and forms, Fees by buyer

$2,000,000 General Liabilty and Workers Compensation Insurance provided. Design meets current standards as detailed by ISPSC guidelines.

Final construction plans will be supplied for approval.

Design will be marked in yard for approval.

Excavation

Fence: Not Required/By Others

Temporary orange fence will be installed during construction Standard clearances required.

Complete rock excavation is included

All excavation material to be hauled away, unless specified

1 Loads of Gravel Base under Pool Structure included

Steel and gunite 

Shell: 1/2 inch Steel Rebar on 10 inch Centers, both ways.

Bond beam: 1/2 inch Steel Rebar X 4

Concrete: Dry Mix Gunite rated to exceed APSP Building Standards

Thickness: 12" Bond Beam, 8-10" Walls/Floor All elevated/exposed walls to be 12"

Plumbing & Electrical

Plumbing Note: Your pool plumbing system is designed with safety as the primary consideration. All suction and pressure, (fixtures and fittings) which we install shall conform to the manufacturers flow rate specifications. In addition, all suction fixtures are connected to a secondary fixture to provide for suction RELIEF FLOW. Main drains are fitted with VGB approved safety drain covers, which are to remain in place at all times. The complete plumbing system shall be assembled and pressure tested throughout the construction process. Plumbing is assembled and configured to balance the suction and pressure side for flow efficient operation.

Fill Line: Overflow Line: Cleaner Line:

Gas Line:

Pool pipes: Up to 3 inch Schedule 40 PVC.

Returns: (4) Directional flush mount inlets, placed for maximum efficiency. 

Skimmers: (2) Aquastar Skimmer, Indepenendently plumbed for optimum control. 

Drains: (2) 10 inch SDX, VGB compliant. 

Fill line: N/A

Overflow line: included

Cleaner line: (1) Independently plumbed

Electrical Note: provide for the complete electrical connection of all lighting and equipment, which includes all linear footage of in-ground service w/all terminations, grounding, bonding, and mechanical installation. All electrical work shall meet local and national standards to include the installation of ground fault interrupters. All lighting and mechanical equipment is bonded and grounded for safety, and all testing and safety inspections are provided.

Stone and tile:

6” band at waterline- frostproof

Limestone coping

Decking & Walls

Reinforcement: 3/8in. Rebar 16in. On Center, 4in. Crushed Base, 3/8in. Mastic Joint Deck material: 449 sqft of Sundek - Classic lvl 1

Steps: 13.5 lf

Turndown: N/A

Deck O-drain: 33 ft

Drainage pipe: N/A

Umbrella sleeves: (2) with cap.

Retaining walls: N/A

Pool/Spa Interior: 

Pool interior finish: Pebble Sheen

Entry: 3 Step Entry

Benches: (6.5) lf total

Start up: Complete start-up chemicals for balance and stabilization

Maintenance: 16' Telescopic Pole, Vacuum Head & Hose, Brush, Net, Test Kit & Thermometer 

Clean-up: 1 load of fill, spread and graded.

Equipment

Primary pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VSF 

Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 520 Cartridge

Cleaner: Pentair Racer w/ booster

Control box: Pentair EasyTouch P-4

Sanitizer: In-Line Chlor w/ Ultra UV Sys 

Light: (1) Pentair IntelliBrite WHITE LED 12v

Pad: Delayed Equipment Set W/ Precast Pad

Warranties

Gunite shell: Lifetime

Equipment: 3 Year (parts & labor) 

Plumbing: 1 Year

Decks: 1 Year

Tile/coping: 1 year

Light: 3 years

PV3 infloor heads: Lifetime

Pebble plaster: 15 Years

Controls: 3 Years

By Owner/Others

Reroute sprinkler and utility lines if required

Landscaping, Grass or Mulch

Modification or Upgrade to existing electrical and/or gas meter/service panel Gutters and Gutter Drain Pipes

Supply accurate survey to property

Water supply for filling of pool and gunite process

Total price: $76,777

40% upon due completion of Excavation, 30% upon completion of Gunite, 20% upon completion of Decks, 10% prior to Plaster

Recommended Options

Paramount PV3 In-for cleaning and circulation system - $8000

The ultimate in pool cleaning. Pop-up nozzles built into the pool during construction will clean debris from steps, benches, fountain walls and spa. Virtually undetectable when not in use, each nozzle pushes debris from the corners of the pool in a series toward a MDX debris removal drain. Large debris is then trapped in a canister before passing though the filter system.

Paramount ULTRA UV System - Included

Adding a ULTRA UV sanitizer to your pool or spa will provide 99.99% contaminant-free water while reducing the use of chemicals. Trident UV units deactivate bacteria, germs, viruses, and algae, thus reducing maintanence costs dramatically and prolonging the life of your pool and equipment

Pebble Sheen Interior Finish (Level 1) - $1,545

Pool finish provides the exquisite appearance of fine polished stone, creating a stunning, visual effect. Pebble Sheen is developed by combining smaller vibrant, naturally colored stones of many stunning color combinations. Every Pebble Sheen finish is lightly buffed to ensure a smooth and beautiful appearance.

Screen Logic Adapter w/ Wireless Connector - $748

Now you can use your Apple, Android or PC to control all key functions of your pool or spa, from across the deck or around the globe. New software that communicates with the ScreenLogic interface of your new EasyTouch control system is available as a free download. Once it’s installed, you can control everything from pool and spa temperatures, to jets, lighting, water features and more—right from your personal device.

He wants to be 100% paid prior to plaster? Big hell no on that. He should get final 10 percent upon acceptance by you after he finishes his punch list.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

the company owner came by yesterday for final inspection and payment...we were discussing that we were waitlisted for the replacement booster Hayward pump for our Polaris (working with another company on the equipment, this guy was just the reno/construction)...and he also recommended we switch to a robot cleaner. 

so question for those of you that have made the actual switch - what did you do with the plumbing, etc., that was originally for the Polaris? it's too late to seal off the return that goes into the pool...i'm thinking more about the defunct pump that's still there and the connecting pvc at the equipment point. since we're putting the house on the market in a year, i just wonder if it's worth it to invest the extra money to clean all that up, or should we just go with the standard replacement we were planning...

So in my research of spa's I came across Caldera which offers a coolzone attachement which would allow me to set the spa at say 70-75 degrees during the summer. 

These are the two sizes I'm interested in from their Paradise series:

image.png.768568e9789a45035961c0606d50d205.png

image.thumb.png.5c7e5ae2ccac4bc9b3beb24be56302cd.png

The Coolzone is about $3000.

Free delivery and setup and they give you the disconnect for the unit to have an electrician wire it up.

Sweetwater Hot Tubz Pricing:
Salina $19,350
Reunion $18,000 

Just checked with another hot tub sales place that has similar technology on theirs. This brand is a Hot Spring Brand. Free delivery, setup, and disconnect as well.

Rythm
image.png.2ca91115b6cdd1f938828d57824fd25f.png

Flash

image.png.52a50e13c81dd90d992f61a3191a25fd.png

Prices with coolzone technology:

Rythm: $11,599

Flash: $14,499

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Just about ready for our first summer with the new pool. Landscaping and new grass all went in about 3 weeks ago. Lay out chairs arrived this weekend. Just need our furniture for the area around the firepit. And the cracked pump housing for the waterfall feature is still backordered for a while, but that's not exactly a necessity.

IMG_2132.thumb.jpg.be0fce6665770342eefff13d95d9174b.jpg

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mchookem said:

the company owner came by yesterday for final inspection and payment...we were discussing that we were waitlisted for the replacement booster Hayward pump for our Polaris (working with another company on the equipment, this guy was just the reno/construction)...and he also recommended we switch to a robot cleaner. 

so question for those of you that have made the actual switch - what did you do with the plumbing, etc., that was originally for the Polaris? it's too late to seal off the return that goes into the pool...i'm thinking more about the defunct pump that's still there and the connecting pvc at the equipment point. since we're putting the house on the market in a year, i just wonder if it's worth it to invest the extra money to clean all that up, or should we just go with the standard replacement we were planning...

I thought that SOP was to leave non-functional/vestigial equipment there for the new owner to stand around and scratch his head over.  Oh, and not spend money on this because you will not get it back in the sale.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 5/14/2021 at 10:46 PM, Your Mom said:
Long post.
Thoughts on this estimate?  Not so much on price... I know shits expensive.  I’m more looking for thoughts on the equipment choices and the construction materials. This is for a no-frills, no features, basic 14k gallon pool, in Austin.  It’s just me and my two teenage boys so no need for tanning ledges, spa, travertine, etc...  Just a place to cool off and have fun.  Any red flags here?  Anything I’d end up wishing I didn’t own or wishing I’d done different on equipment choices?  This post is my first step of researching the equipment.  I have no idea what that stuff is.  I assume it’s the cheap shit many of you are posting about upgrading from.  

General Specifications

Pool dimensions: 17' 6" x 27' 7" 

Pool perimeter: 90 ft

Pool surface area: 421 sqft

Pool depth: 3ft x 4.5ft x 6ft

Total gallons: 14,190

Approvals

All fees and inspections included, as required by the city

Assistance with required plans and forms, Fees by buyer

$2,000,000 General Liabilty and Workers Compensation Insurance provided. Design meets current standards as detailed by ISPSC guidelines.

Final construction plans will be supplied for approval.

Design will be marked in yard for approval.

Excavation

Fence: Not Required/By Others

Temporary orange fence will be installed during construction Standard clearances required.

Complete rock excavation is included

All excavation material to be hauled away, unless specified

1 Loads of Gravel Base under Pool Structure included

Steel and gunite 

Shell: 1/2 inch Steel Rebar on 10 inch Centers, both ways.

Bond beam: 1/2 inch Steel Rebar X 4

Concrete: Dry Mix Gunite rated to exceed APSP Building Standards

Thickness: 12" Bond Beam, 8-10" Walls/Floor All elevated/exposed walls to be 12"

Plumbing & Electrical

Plumbing Note: Your pool plumbing system is designed with safety as the primary consideration. All suction and pressure, (fixtures and fittings) which we install shall conform to the manufacturers flow rate specifications. In addition, all suction fixtures are connected to a secondary fixture to provide for suction RELIEF FLOW. Main drains are fitted with VGB approved safety drain covers, which are to remain in place at all times. The complete plumbing system shall be assembled and pressure tested throughout the construction process. Plumbing is assembled and configured to balance the suction and pressure side for flow efficient operation.

Fill Line: Overflow Line: Cleaner Line:

Gas Line:

Pool pipes: Up to 3 inch Schedule 40 PVC.

Returns: (4) Directional flush mount inlets, placed for maximum efficiency. 

Skimmers: (2) Aquastar Skimmer, Indepenendently plumbed for optimum control. 

Drains: (2) 10 inch SDX, VGB compliant. 

Fill line: N/A

Overflow line: included

Cleaner line: (1) Independently plumbed

Electrical Note: provide for the complete electrical connection of all lighting and equipment, which includes all linear footage of in-ground service w/all terminations, grounding, bonding, and mechanical installation. All electrical work shall meet local and national standards to include the installation of ground fault interrupters. All lighting and mechanical equipment is bonded and grounded for safety, and all testing and safety inspections are provided.

Stone and tile:

6” band at waterline- frostproof

Limestone coping

Decking & Walls

Reinforcement: 3/8in. Rebar 16in. On Center, 4in. Crushed Base, 3/8in. Mastic Joint Deck material: 449 sqft of Sundek - Classic lvl 1

Steps: 13.5 lf

Turndown: N/A

Deck O-drain: 33 ft

Drainage pipe: N/A

Umbrella sleeves: (2) with cap.

Retaining walls: N/A

Pool/Spa Interior: 

Pool interior finish: Pebble Sheen

Entry: 3 Step Entry

Benches: (6.5) lf total

Start up: Complete start-up chemicals for balance and stabilization

Maintenance: 16' Telescopic Pole, Vacuum Head & Hose, Brush, Net, Test Kit & Thermometer 

Clean-up: 1 load of fill, spread and graded.

Equipment

Primary pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VSF 

Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 520 Cartridge

Cleaner: Pentair Racer w/ booster

Control box: Pentair EasyTouch P-4

Sanitizer: In-Line Chlor w/ Ultra UV Sys 

Light: (1) Pentair IntelliBrite WHITE LED 12v

Pad: Delayed Equipment Set W/ Precast Pad

Warranties

Gunite shell: Lifetime

Equipment: 3 Year (parts & labor) 

Plumbing: 1 Year

Decks: 1 Year

Tile/coping: 1 year

Light: 3 years

PV3 infloor heads: Lifetime

Pebble plaster: 15 Years

Controls: 3 Years

By Owner/Others

Reroute sprinkler and utility lines if required

Landscaping, Grass or Mulch

Modification or Upgrade to existing electrical and/or gas meter/service panel Gutters and Gutter Drain Pipes

Supply accurate survey to property

Water supply for filling of pool and gunite process

Total price: $76,777

40% upon due completion of Excavation, 30% upon completion of Gunite, 20% upon completion of Decks, 10% prior to Plaster

Recommended Options

Paramount PV3 In-for cleaning and circulation system - $8000

The ultimate in pool cleaning. Pop-up nozzles built into the pool during construction will clean debris from steps, benches, fountain walls and spa. Virtually undetectable when not in use, each nozzle pushes debris from the corners of the pool in a series toward a MDX debris removal drain. Large debris is then trapped in a canister before passing though the filter system.

Paramount ULTRA UV System - Included

Adding a ULTRA UV sanitizer to your pool or spa will provide 99.99% contaminant-free water while reducing the use of chemicals. Trident UV units deactivate bacteria, germs, viruses, and algae, thus reducing maintanence costs dramatically and prolonging the life of your pool and equipment

Pebble Sheen Interior Finish (Level 1) - $1,545

Pool finish provides the exquisite appearance of fine polished stone, creating a stunning, visual effect. Pebble Sheen is developed by combining smaller vibrant, naturally colored stones of many stunning color combinations. Every Pebble Sheen finish is lightly buffed to ensure a smooth and beautiful appearance.

Screen Logic Adapter w/ Wireless Connector - $748

Now you can use your Apple, Android or PC to control all key functions of your pool or spa, from across the deck or around the globe. New software that communicates with the ScreenLogic interface of your new EasyTouch control system is available as a free download. Once it’s installed, you can control everything from pool and spa temperatures, to jets, lighting, water features and more—right from your personal device.

He wants to be 100% paid prior to plaster? Big hell no on that. He should get final 10 percent upon acceptance by you after he finishes his punch list.

Standard pool contract.  You'd be surprised there are more homeowners that can't/won't pay than pool builders who won't complete contract.  But have a DETAILED walkthrough prior to plaster draw.

8 hours ago, mchookem said:

Put return jet/eyeball fitting on outlet and throw a robot in there.

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So in my research of spa's I came across Caldera which offers a coolzone attachement which would allow me to set the spa at say 70-75 degrees during the summer. 

These are the two sizes I'm interested in from their Paradise series:

image.png.768568e9789a45035961c0606d50d205.png

image.thumb.png.5c7e5ae2ccac4bc9b3beb24be56302cd.png

The Coolzone is about $3000.

Free delivery and setup and they give you the disconnect for the unit to have an electrician wire it up.

Sweetwater Hot Tubz Pricing:
Salina $19,350
Reunion $18,000 

Just checked with another hot tub sales place that has similar technology on theirs. This brand is a Hot Spring Brand. Free delivery, setup, and disconnect as well.

Rythm
image.png.2ca91115b6cdd1f938828d57824fd25f.png

Flash

image.png.52a50e13c81dd90d992f61a3191a25fd.png

Prices with coolzone technology:

Rythm: $11,599

Flash: $14,499

Didn't realize those had jumped that high in price.  Check out bullfrog.  Always heard good things.  

58 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Put return jet/eyeball fitting on outlet and throw a robot in there.

that’s what we did. theres nothing but a jandy valve at the equipment side. just stays closed and whomever buys this house whenever i sell it can either install a pump, or not. 

Standard pool contract.  You'd be surprised there are more homeowners that can't/won't pay than pool builders who won't complete contract.  But have a DETAILED walkthrough prior to plaster draw.
Builder can lien the house. Homeowner is SOL if builder walks. I'd never use a contractor that wants full payment before work is done. Enormous red flag.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Builder can lien the house. Homeowner is SOL if builder walks. I'd never use a contractor that wants full payment before work is done. Enormous red flag.

Homeowner can sue.  And literally every reputable builder in state has same contract with regard to draw schedule.  Quibble around the margins, but all the same.

13 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Homeowner can sue.  And literally every reputable builder in state has same contract with regard to draw schedule.  Quibble around the margins, but all the same.

Good for them.  I'm not new to the construction industry.  We have retainage for a reason.  It's the only way to get subs to show up and finish their punchlist.

• Like 1

This, although I agree that the payment schedule at issue is pretty standard. My pool builder, basically a guy in a pickup, ran out of money after gunite and plumbing was done. By that time I had paid him about 70% of the contract price. I finally fired him after three months of no activity (it was post financial crisis and he had no new jobs). I had to sub it out myself to finish the job. It cost me about an extra $20k over and above the original contract price.
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, HouTex said:

This, although I agree that the payment schedule at issue is pretty standard. My pool builder, basically a guy in a pickup, ran out of money after gunite and plumbing was done. By that time I had paid him about 70% of the contract price. I finally fired him after three months of no activity (it was post financial crisis and he had no new jobs). I had to sub it out myself to finish the job. It cost me about an extra $20k over and above the original contract price.

And you just perfectly illustrated why the payment schedule is shit.

• Like 1

While I agree the payment schedule might be "shit" if you happen to want a pool built within the next few years you have to accept it. They will quickly move on to the next person if you don't.

That's the reason you go with a reputable and long time builder whenever possible.  We built last year and most were 70-75% to gunite and mixed breakout for remaining 25-30% on decking and plaster. Builder figured he could return most decking/tile/equipment items but he's not going to take any risk on having to cover an excavation and/or gunite "non-returnable" expense.

While I agree the payment schedule might be "shit" if you happen to want a pool built within the next few years you have to accept it. They will quickly move on to the next person if you don't.
That's the reason you go with a reputable and long time builder whenever possible.  We built last year and most were 70-75% to gunite and mixed breakout for remaining 25-30% on decking and plaster. Builder figured he could return most decking/tile/equipment items but he's not going to take any risk on having to cover an excavation and/or gunite "non-returnable" expense.

This is why I would never use another small-time pool builder unless he showed me evidence that he complied with section 162.006 of the Texas Property Code. I would want a separate construction account with only my money in it. Of course, the guy probably would tell me to get lost. So I would end up using a well established company that presumably would not be judgment proof. Yes, at some level, every entity is judgment proof.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Any opinions on UV sanitation systems?  Pool guy says it allows you to reduce chlorine to significantly lower levels.  You guys have them?  They work as advertised?   Unnecessary gimmick?  

I don't have a UV/Ozone/AOP system but have looked into them.

This is best video I've found on subject of UV and Ozone systems. It's a tough listen (lots of science) but explains it well. UV/Ozone systems do work but how they work and what they do is often misunderstood.  TLDR is: If looking for a replacement for chlorine use probably not worth it. If looking for better water quality might be worth it.  Any cost savings of chlorine will more than be spent on UV/Ozone system purchase/maintenance

The other issue is that it only works while the pump is running versus the chlorine that is working full time.  The two pool companies that I know said that they are really just a profit center for the builder.  They don't really do a whole lot unless you are running your pump 24 hours a day.

1 hour ago, Catpfish said:

The other issue is that it only works while the pump is running versus the chlorine that is working full time.  The two pool companies that I know said that they are really just a profit center for the builder.  They don't really do a whole lot unless you are running your pump 24 hours a day.

We're getting a variable speed pump, so I assume it would be running most of the time?  But yeah, initial research seems to say the UV thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.  My builder says it lets you run 1 ppm of chlorine instead of ~3ppm.  It's about $1000 extra.  I'm gonna ditch it unless I hear a better reason not to.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I don't have a UV/Ozone/AOP system but have looked into them.

This is best video I've found on subject of UV and Ozone systems. It's a tough listen (lots of science) but explains it well. UV/Ozone systems do work but how they work and what they do is often misunderstood.  TLDR is: If looking for a replacement for chlorine use probably not worth it. If looking for better water quality might be worth it.  Any cost savings of chlorine will more than be spent on UV/Ozone system purchase/maintenance

Got the link on that video?

7 hours ago, HouTex said:

This is why I would never use another small-time pool builder unless he showed me evidence that he complied with section 162.006 of the Texas Property Code. I would want a separate construction account with only my money in it. Of course, the guy probably would tell me to get lost. So I would end up using a well established company that presumably would not be judgment proof. Yes, at some level, every entity is judgment proof.

So a builder that does 150 pools a year is going to set up 150 separate accounts to pay for 150 separate builds with checks issued for each project so he can pay his subs?

6 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Any opinions on UV sanitation systems?  Pool guy says it allows you to reduce chlorine to significantly lower levels.  You guys have them?  They work as advertised?   Unnecessary gimmick?  

UV/Ozone is the salt water generator pool replacement.   Go borates. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

We're getting a variable speed pump, so I assume it would be running most of the time?  But yeah, initial research seems to say the UV thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.  My builder says it lets you run 1 ppm of chlorine instead of ~3ppm.  It's about $1000 extra.  I'm gonna ditch it unless I hear a better reason not to.

There's very little chance you can adjust you chlorine level between 1 and 3.

So a builder that does 150 pools a year is going to set up 150 separate accounts to pay for 150 separate builds with checks issued for each project so he can pay his subs?

He wouldn’t. But if he did 150 pools per year at say 100k per pool that’s $15 million per year of gross revenue. He can afford the overhead of managing the accounts.

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

He wouldn’t. But if he did 150 pools per year at say 100k per pool that’s $15 million per year of gross revenue. He can afford the overhead of managing the accounts.

No. You said... . "I would want a separate construction account with only my money in it."  Which implies a bank account, not a bookkeeping account.  

No. You said... . "I would want a separate construction account with only my money in it."  Which implies a bank account, not a bookkeeping account.  

I would want separate accounts. They would never agree to it, as I said. Bottom line is that due to my prior experience I would not deal with a sole proprietor or a small partnership. I would only contract with a pool company that had a very long term history and/or a balance sheet.

33 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

UV/Ozone is the salt water generator pool replacement.   Go borates. 

Never even heard of borates.  I have some reading to do tonight I guess.  I assume this is a chemical I'd add to a pool set up for chlorine without a SWG or UV?  

Thanks for all your tips on this thread.

Never even heard of borates.  I have some reading to do tonight I guess.  I assume this is a chemical I'd add to a pool set up for chlorine without a SWG or UV?  
Thanks for all your tips on this thread.

I highly recommend borates especially if you have a salt pool. I love the feel of the water and the smell. It also helps stabilize the water chemistry.

Borates may be good in some circumstances but getting to know your pool’s chemistry and being adapt at controlling it is paramount before you start throwing in yet another item to test.

The forums at tfp are the best resource for any pool owner (and a really good test kit).

On 5/19/2021 at 8:31 PM, Poolflood said:

There's very little chance you can adjust you chlorine level between 1 and 3.

True with a caveat. I have a Pentair Intellichem system. It is difficult to set up as there aren't many experts around. The guy I used said to just use it for the acid and use the salt generator for the chlorine needs. Anyway, he set it up well so that all I need to do is add acid to a tank and the intellichem adds the appropriate amount of acid to the pool and runs the salt generator for the appropriate amount of time. I assume that you have pretty fine controls to set chlorine levels with the system. I really don't have to do any measuring or testing. However, I'll add that I live in Austin so I don't have a lot of organics (debris, etc.) going into the pool which makes controlling pH and chlorine much easier.

Almost every person in trouble free pool says they are BS add on. Only necessary in a large commercial pool or an indoor pool.
You get plenty of UV from the sun.

23 hours ago, HookEm said:

My street water is very high in calcium. Is there any way to remove it prior to adding the water to my pool?

Buy a very expensive RO system.

But seriously, there's nothing you can do except manage the pH and total alkalinity to keep the calcium from dropping out of solution and building up everywhere. 

Dissolved calcium levels will slowly increase in your pool because it has nowhere to go.

Read thru this:  https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/2018/12/12/abcs-of-pool-water-chemistry/

Then use this to keep everything in balance.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Edited by freyguy

12 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Almost every person in trouble free pool says they are BS add on. Only necessary in a large commercial pool or an indoor pool.
You get plenty of UV from the sun.

That's just people not understanding them. I've found with TFP there is a singular mentality with how to treat a pool and if you aren't doing it the TFP way (the same way the TFP owner happens to sell test kits for) you are doing it wrong and they will immediately discount it. Their way is a proven way, but its not the only way and certainly shuns anything new.

UV systems for pools are like the ones water treatment plants use and use UVC rays (much stronger). UV from the sun is UVA rays. UV is just a physical way of treating water instead of chemically treating with chlorine. It is also effective against parasites that are chlorine resistant. Home UV systems are just a much smaller version of the ones now being used in many water treatment plants (to reduce chlorine use).

No experiences with these in-ground retractable covers on the Surl? 

Two neighbors have them and like them. Make sure to be aware when your freeze protection kicks in: one neighbor had the waterfalls come on in the middle of a cold night and pour freezing water all over the top of the cover for a few hours.

I have a shady pool and yes leaf season kinda sucks, but I stretch a big net over it in fall. It’s really nice to have the shade in the hot months. I only get sun until about 2pm.

Current situation:

d6340ce9ac20c8afb49f98cf5ecc5f6f.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Two neighbors have them and like them. Make sure to be aware when your freeze protection kicks in: one neighbor had the waterfalls come on in the middle of a cold night and pour freezing water all over the top of the cover for a few hours.

I have a shady pool and yes leaf season kinda sucks, but I stretch a big net over it in fall. It’s really nice to have the shade in the hot months. I only get sun until about 2pm.

Current situation:

d6340ce9ac20c8afb49f98cf5ecc5f6f.jpg

Nice pool. Maybe you should have spent some of the money getting your dog deflead.

• Like 2

I nearly rage quit today....Drain plug popped loose on the filter housing today.  Drained the pool down about a third of the way before the neighbor happened to notice a river running thru his backyard.  Further investigation, the damn threads on both the housing and plug are worn/stripped....it's only money...