Yes: Pools are worth it....

8 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Looks nice FF, 1 suggestion though, put up some gutters so the runoff from your roof doesn’t just dump in the pool.
I bet you’re stoked, finish line in sight.

That’s the plan. I need to find out where the drains are so I can dump to those.  Wife and kids are stoked about swimming, I’m just happy it’s been a relatively smooth process. I’ve got enough projects to manage without bringing home stuff into it. So basically everything from back wall of house (including existing patio) to back wall of pool, from fence to fence will be travertine decking.  Going to Xenoscape the narrow side with the equipment in rock.   Working to get a sprinkler guy out here to help me figure out how to access the west side of yard again. Thinking hard about having that center column taken out and beam replaced to open it all up.  Lots of little stuff to do but so far, all is well. 

3 hours ago, baboso said:

Any of your kids teenage boys?  I can envision the patio roof being used a makeshift diving board.

There’s something like 22 little girls on my street, and 3 boys.  None of the boys are mine. That said, my middle one is the one that will do shit like that. Guess we are lucky we put the deep end out of reach of the porch. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There’s something like 22 little girls on my street, and 3 boys.  None of the boys are mine. That said, my middle one is the one that will do shit like that. Guess we are lucky we put the deep end out of reach of the porch. 

Out of reach is relative, where there is a will there is a way.

57 minutes ago, dirtonia said:

Respectfully, dig your pool, hate your house.

It's because I haven't gotten to pressure wash and re-stain the fence, isnt it?  In my defense, it was as far west as I could get without getting into near 7 figures as a late 20 something.  It's apparently appreciated about 35% in 8 years, so it's doing it's job I suppose.  I've since tried to go further out but wife "loves the neighborhood" so I'm stuck here for awhile I guess.  At least we have mature trees in the hood, there is ALOT of entire neighborhoods on this side of town without a mature tree.  Built in fucking rice fields.  But if it was up to me, I'd be another 15-20 miles west of here on a few acres.

Edited by fattyflattie
*without

It's because I haven't gotten to pressure wash and re-stain the fence, isnt it?  In my defense, it was as far west as I could get without getting into near 7 figures as a late 20 something.  It's apparently appreciated about 35% in 8 years, so it's doing it's job I suppose.  I've since tried to go further out but wife "loves the neighborhood" so I'm stuck here for awhile I guess.  At least we have mature trees in the hood, there is ALOT of entire neighborhoods on this side of town without a mature tree.  Built in fucking rice fields.  But if it was up to me, I'd be another 15-20 miles west of here on a few acres.

Mostly just bustin yo sack, not a subdivision kinda guy, need more ‘character’, or at least that is what my wife tells me.

Looks awesome though, gonna be a blast for y’all!

47 minutes ago, dirtonia said:

Mostly just bustin yo sack, not a subdivision kinda guy, need more ‘character’, or at least that is what my wife tells me.

Looks awesome though, gonna be a blast for y’all!

I figured.  Look if I had my way, I'd be on 1000 acres in south Texas, but granddad didn't have the $10/ac to make it happen I guess.  When I get irritated about living in the burbs, I just remind myself it's one whole helluva lot better than what either my wife or I grew.  So it works, for now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Fuck, during the game my wife told me that the pool wasn't working. I went outside to check it out and the pool filter was left open. I had the pool company come out to clean it last week. I went through my emails and there was an invoice that stated that broken filter parts were left in the filter and it needs a new ring clamp around the unit. The only problem is that it was the same company that cleaned the filter the last time that it was opened. But, before I fight with them on Monday are any pool stores open on Sunday? I just spent about $200 in chemicals getting the system working right after another issue that the pool company couldn't fix (so I fixed it) and don't want to wait for the pool to get algae again. I'll have to figure out what they broke exactly, but I am hoping it is just the clamp for a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 520.

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

Fuck, during the game my wife told me that the pool wasn't working. I went outside to check it out and the pool filter was left open. I had the pool company come out to clean it last week. I went through my emails and there was an invoice that stated that broken filter parts were left in the filter and it needs a new ring clamp around the unit. The only problem is that it was the same company that cleaned the filter the last time that it was opened. But, before I fight with them on Monday are any pool stores open on Sunday? I just spent about $200 in chemicals getting the system working right after another issue that the pool company couldn't fix (so I fixed it) and don't want to wait for the pool to get algae again. I'll have to figure out what they broke exactly, but I am hoping it is just the clamp for a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 520.

Leslie's should be open.  Should have decent shot at a band clamp it that's the issue.  

• Like 1

Ok, so it looks like we are moving forward with getting a design done. The builder is scheduling 14 months out, so it would be next November time frame before they could actually start. That sucks, but at least it proves they are busy unlike some of the locals here who could get started next week. Here is what he has in the list for the project, is there anything we’re fucking up on?

Robot cleaning system
LED lighting
Flagstone/tile coping
3’6” to 6’ total depth
Pebble sheen interior for pool and spa
UV & Ozone sanitation system
AquaLink System
Tanning ledge

Anything we should add or change?
Thanks.

7 hours ago, EE2B said:

Ok, so it looks like we are moving forward with getting a design done. The builder is scheduling 14 months out, so it would be next November time frame before they could actually start. That sucks, but at least it proves they are busy unlike some of the locals here who could get started next week. Here is what he has in the list for the project, is there anything we’re fucking up on?

Robot cleaning system
LED lighting
Flagstone/tile coping
3’6” to 6’ total depth
AquaLink System
Tanning ledge

Thanks.

When you say robot cleaning system I assume you mean like a Maytronics Dolphin.  If so that’s good.  You don’t want something that runs on a booster pump.

Trade UV and Ozone system for a salt water generator.  Best decision you can make.

• Hook 'Em 1

When you say robot cleaning system I assume you mean like a Maytronics Dolphin.  If so that’s good.  You don’t want something that runs on a booster pump.
Trade UV and Ozone system for a salt water generator.  Best decision you can make.

The one I was most familiar with was the Polaris, but I’ll check out the Maytronics. He also mentioned built in vacuum ports in the floor of the pool, but I’m not sure how well they would work or if they would plug up.

We talked about saltwater and he said they’ve been doing UV and ozone solely for the last 7 years. Honestly I’m not that familiar with it and have no experience with it.

17 minutes ago, EE2B said:

The one I was most familiar with was the Polaris, but I’ll check out the Maytronics. He also mentioned built in vacuum ports in the floor of the pool, but I’m not sure how well they would work or if they would plug up.

We talked about saltwater and he said they’ve been doing UV and ozone solely for the last 7 years. Honestly I’m not that familiar with it and have no experience with it.

I feel like the in floor cleaning systems is just one more thing to break.  Stick with a robot and save the money.  Here is the one we use and love.

https://maytronicsus.com/product/residential/s300/

Spend some time on Troublefreepool.com researching any questions you have.

Edited by TexEx15

8 hours ago, EE2B said:

Robot cleaning system
LED lighting
Flagstone/tile coping
3’6” to 6’ total depth
AquaLink System
Tanning ledge

Thanks.

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Don't do salt.  Especially with flagstone.   There's a reason new pools with salt systems went from 95% to less than 5% in about 5 years.

UV/Ozone... not huge fan, but better than salt.  You probably wont miss them when they break

8 hours ago, EE2B said:

Robot cleaning system
LED lighting
Flagstone/tile coping
3’6” to 6’ total depth
AquaLink System
Tanning ledge

Thanks.

Make you patio bigger, tanning ledge smaller.  Those are from my build.  Hard to have too much covered patio space, tanning ledge is great for babies or dogs, no one else seems to use it.

12 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Don't do salt.  Especially with flagstone.   There's a reason new pools with salt systems went from 95% to less than 5% in about 5 years.

UV/Ozone... not huge fan, but better than salt.  You probably wont miss them when they break

Salt is just fine if you manage your PH, which is naturally higher in salt pools due to aeration in the process of turning salt to chlorine gas.  The level of salt is about 3000-3200 PPM.  Less than half the salinity PPM as a human teardrop.  For comparison the ocean is about 35,000 PPM.

There is not a lot of ongoing maintenance costs associated with salt pools, which I venture to guess may have something to do with builders pushing other options.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tokamak said:

Is the purpose of these tanning ledges so your wife can lay there with her tits out? I don't think I've ever been in a pool with one but they seem all the rage now and I don't really get the purpose.

no idea... they seem useless and a waste of space

6 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Salt is just fine if you manage your PH, which is naturally higher in salt pools due to aeration in the process of turning salt to chlorine gas.  The level of salt is about 3000-3200 PPM.  Less than half the salinity PPM as a human teardrop.  For comparison the ocean is about 35,000 PPM.

There is not a lot of ongoing maintenance costs associated with salt pools, which I venture to guess may have something to do with builders pushing other options.

The reason builders went away from salt were the issues with degrading stone around the pool, especially flagstone.  And yes not all flagstone had severe issues but it was enough that builders stopped using at the rate they used to.  

As sales of salt systems dropped UV/Ozone increased.   Why?  Because they wanted to sell more product.  Distribution was a big player in moving the market as well.

I have a salt pool and I love it. The flagstone issue isn’t that big of a deal. You sweep all of the raised surface areas once a week and the Polaris does the rest. The pool water is so easy to maintain with a salt system that it makes any trade off worth it.
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Poolflood said:

The reason builders went away from salt were the issues with degrading stone around the pool, especially flagstone.  And yes not all flagstone had severe issues but it was enough that builders stopped using at the rate they used to.  

As sales of salt systems dropped UV/Ozone increased.   Why?  Because they wanted to sell more product.  Distribution was a big player in moving the market as well.

yeah, none of the pool builders that quoted me wanted to do salt systems. I took it that they knew there was an issue but didn't want to admit it since they had been doing them for years and didn't want those people lining up. Combine that with salt systems would be easy extra profits for them... so if they didn't want to do it for some easy money there must be a reason.

yeah, none of the pool builders that quoted me wanted to do salt systems. I took it that they knew there was an issue but didn't want to admit it since they had been doing them for years and didn't want those people lining up. Combine that with salt systems would be easy extra profits for them... so if they didn't want to do it for some easy money there must be a reason.

I’d think non salt systems are more profitable, more work to maintain so then they can sell you on their weekly
Maintenance service . I think the salt eating up stuff is way over blown , seal your flagstone or use harder stones and your fine.

upfront cost of a swg is much more than an auto feed tablet chlorinator. probably ends up being a wash in the long run on actual savings between the two systems.

i’d much rather drain/refill my pool every 5 years than replace damaged patio furniture or risk damage to my travertine. it does happen despite whatever tfp says.  that said, i use liquid chlorine in mines and have zero issues with the 5 min per day maintenance that requires. 

On 9/15/2021 at 9:32 AM, tokamak said:

Is the purpose of these tanning ledges so your wife can lay there with her tits out? I don't think I've ever been in a pool with one but they seem all the rage now and I don't really get the purpose.

Yes, the wives sit there with their sangria or seltzers.  Still waiting for view of the tits.

@EE2B

• Definitely go robot - won't need in floor cleaner with a robot
  • I'm waiting to get my Salt Water Chlorine Generator activated.  Think of the upfront cost as pre-paid chlorine for 3-5 years at known cost.  The other advantage is that they are lower maintenance once you reach the right levels.  Friends with SWG say they add acid twice a month and that is it.
  • I commonly hear the UV/Ozone systems are not necessary if you keep your chemistry right.
  • I love the 6' depth it makes it more kid friendly, people say you can't play volleyball but thinking people are really going to play volleyball is like thinking they are going to play croquet... it happens a lot less than you would think but my kids and I are in the deep end a lot.
  • I love the iAqualink system so far.  really adds a lot of usable automation.

On 8/19/2021 at 1:04 PM, Your Mom said:

I’m on the poorer end of people who build pools so I went with the cheapest option that wasn’t just bare concrete. In my case that was SunDek textured coating over concrete. Supposed to be cool to walk on and grippy. The fact that I don’t have a wife to keep happy made it an easy choice. 

Something like this:

B9E9585F-A826-4780-9D9B-3E6316B7EE40.thumb.jpeg.503dafbd95df38363e065c7b12c6719d.jpeg

Our pool contractor here in nacogdoches, Duran pools referred to that as cool deck coating. It is amazing the temperature difference it makes. Well worth every penny in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

Love seeing that big patio! I’m as excited about doubling my patio space with this pool as I am about the pool itself.  My old back patio was some orange tile from the 90’s and a weathered and dried up wooden deck. 

Cool Deck might not be travertine but it’s so much nicer looking than what I had before. 

43 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Love seeing that big patio! I’m as excited about doubling my patio space with this pool as I am about the pool itself.  My old back patio was some orange tile from the 90’s and a weathered and dried up wooden deck. 

Cool Deck might not be travertine but it’s so much nicer looking than what I had before. 

Thanks,  The pool deck is about 50% of our patio space.  We also have a flagstone patio up the steps in the foreground.  Having the first birthday party out there this weekend.