Yes: Pools are worth it....

18 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:
43 minutes ago, JSB said:
Got the pool already, but planning a major remodel to the back patio/outdoor kitchen. Pretty pumped about this one.
78410865_PatioProject.thumb.png.a0eb4d1ff38f624e7d902f7190bb9b0e.png1805546706_PatioProject(2).thumb.png.10f3e3ae66bc367c579065d242f7b235.png283631444_PatioProject(3).thumb.png.54890d3aa2240b243a96033e96cbb899.png

That looks amazing! How big is the covered patio area?

The covered area is 18'x24'

The covered area is 18'x24'
Nice. Im in the design process right now, and we are debating between 15 to 18 x26. Difference in width will cost a bit more, but we aren't sure if we need that much. I'm pushing for 16 wide, with about 28 inches on the side reserved for counter top, grill and TV wall space. I mapped it out in our yard with orange soccer cones last week and the 18 just seems like overkill. However, your design has a lot more built-in stuff under it and a finished wall, so I think it will make more sense to go extra wide.

Do you have any plans for a sound system? If so, where are your speakers going?

24 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Nice. Im in the design process right now, and we are debating between 15 to 18 x26. Difference in width will cost a bit more, but we aren't sure if we need that much. I'm pushing for 16 wide, with about 28 inches on the side reserved for counter top, grill and TV wall space. I mapped it out in our yard with orange soccer cones last week and the 18 just seems like overkill. However, your design has a lot more built-in stuff under it and a finished wall, so I think it will make more sense to go extra wide.

Do you have any plans for a sound system? If so, where are your speakers going?

I debated going smaller as well, but decided that since I'm going to do the project, I would rather err on the side of being too big than regret not going big enough later.  As for the sound system, I'm not certain yet. Right now, I've got a couple rock speakers by the pool that are wired to the inside of the house. While they are putting down the pavers, I'm going to have them run conduit underneath from the covered area to the house, and fish some speaker wire through it in case I want to hard wire some to the house, but I'm also thinking strongly about going with a wireless setup throughout. Still pretty early on in that phase of the project though. I signed on the project yesterday, picked out the pavers and stone and ordered the grill and kitchen stuff. Plan is to be done late April or May we think, but its very dependent on the weather. 

50 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Mind saying what patio is running?

Hard to say because on top of this, we are demoing and re-pouring our driveway area, ripping out some more existing stuff, doing some work on exterior doors and windows etc... Rough math, the patio piece of it is about $100 I think. 

1 hour ago, JSB said:

I debated going smaller as well, but decided that since I'm going to do the project, I would rather err on the side of being too big than regret not going big enough later.  As for the sound system, I'm not certain yet. Right now, I've got a couple rock speakers by the pool that are wired to the inside of the house. While they are putting down the pavers, I'm going to have them run conduit underneath from the covered area to the house, and fish some speaker wire through it in case I want to hard wire some to the house, but I'm also thinking strongly about going with a wireless setup throughout. Still pretty early on in that phase of the project though. I signed on the project yesterday, picked out the pavers and stone and ordered the grill and kitchen stuff. Plan is to be done late April or May we think, but its very dependent on the weather. 

yeah, I'm trying to figure that out too.  I have a coax and a Cat6 coming out the side of the house right by where the pool pump will go. They agreed to run both of those lines out to where the TV wall is, so I can do a hardwire Cat6 and coax to the TV. I'm thinking that might be the best solution for the TV feeds, as it gets both internet and HD Antenna to it, but the sound options vary greatly.  I don't really want to put speakers in the ceiling, because we are doing the wood board finish, and I don't think the flush mounted speakers would look good there, but there aren't many good options for it.  We don't have rocks like you, so there isn't a way to hide it in the scenery around the pool.   

We are still trying to nail down a design both my wife and I love, so I enjoy seeing everyone else's designs and ideas. I'm thinking we may turn our pool side ways and have the spa/sundeck next to the covered patio area, with the pool's deep end towards the back fence. We are losing a ton of yard space with the current layout, and I'm thinking we can salvage a good bit by turning it 90 degrees. FYI, we added a bathroom behind the TV wall (not pictured), and that was about 12k extra. We don't have a bathroom anywhere near the back door of the house, so it's going to be used a lot. 

luxe3.PNG

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

yeah, I'm trying to figure that out too.  I have a coax and a Cat6 coming out the side of the house right by where the pool pump will go. They agreed to run both of those lines out to where the TV wall is, so I can do a hardwire Cat6 and coax to the TV. I'm thinking that might be the best solution for the TV feeds, as it gets both internet and HD Antenna to it, but the sound options vary greatly.  I don't really want to put speakers in the ceiling, because we are doing the wood board finish, and I don't think the flush mounted speakers would look good there, but there aren't many good options for it.  We don't have rocks like you, so there isn't a way to hide it in the scenery around the pool.   

We are still trying to nail down a design both my wife and I love, so I enjoy seeing everyone else's designs and ideas. I'm thinking we may turn our pool side ways and have the spa/sundeck next to the covered patio area, with the pool's deep end towards the back fence. We are losing a ton of yard space with the current layout, and I'm thinking we can salvage a good bit by turning it 90 degrees. FYI, we added a bathroom behind the TV wall (not pictured), and that was about 12k extra. We don't have a bathroom anywhere near the back door of the house, so it's going to be used a lot. 

When I thought about speakers I decided better to just go wireless/bluetooth out there.  I have a pair of outdoor hardwired back to the inside stereo on zone 2 but the main way we use them is bluetooth to the stereo and then out to the outdoor speakers so just skip the wires and bluetooth to the speakers directly.  Right now we are using my wife's small boombox sized Monster speakers but I am considering going sonos or Anker has these pairable bluetooth speakers.  Take them in under the porch when not used so you can charge them and then pull them out when you have a party.  You can also take them camping or to a friend's. Move them wherever you want them and not be tied down to fixed locations.

Edited by TexasEd

luxe3.thumb.PNG.dcbd9651272fad08c749e32e7f9a64f2.PNG

That’s nice looking. If there’s one thing I could change about our pool it would be to move it closer to the house. We hardly use the spa in cold weather because no one wants to walk that far in the cold air.

46953bbd05f3fd7afa9e86493821ebd7.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

My wife said our water features were going off at 5:00 AM this morning.  First reaction was that the program was off (I used to have them come on at 5 PM).  The I realized it was probably the freeze protection with the cold weather overnight.  Anyone else have their pumps come on this morning for the cold?  New pool so this was the first time for us.

My wife said our water features were going off at 5:00 AM this morning.  First reaction was that the program was off (I used to have them come on at 5 PM).  The I realized it was probably the freeze protection with the cold weather overnight.  Anyone else have their pumps come on this morning for the cold?  New pool so this was the first time for us.

Yes most have a freeze sensor that comes on a few degrees above freezing 35-37 degrees

7 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Can't speak for all manufacturers but hayward kicks in default at 38.  You can adjust in programming if you wish.

For mine at least it only can be run at full on 3200 RPM which I don't want because it's pretty loud right outside the window so I turn it off and just have to remember to turn it on low speed below freezing.  Until it hits 5F and no power....well what are the odds of that.

3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

For mine at least it only can be run at full on 3200 RPM which I don't want because it's pretty loud right outside the window so I turn it off and just have to remember to turn it on low speed below freezing.  Until it hits 5F and no power....well what are the odds of that.

Lulz.  5F?!  Crazy talk!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 5:48 PM, GottaB said:

The search begins. Who do you recommend in the pflugerville Hutto rr area?

I would recommend our builder with some reservations.  The quality was very high and what I think is the most important part of the build but they took a long time when everyone was taking a long time.

Premier Pools & Spas of Georgetown

• Like 1

Yeah mine is moving pretty slow to but at least they’re pretty good about contacting me and returning my phone calls when I ask about the schedule. They told me these delays would be here from the start.

I still have a bare gunite pool with lime stone coping installed around it and a patio of gravel base waiting for the deck to be poured.  

Its mentioned upthread, but I went with Cody here in South Austin, only because they were the only ones that got back to me and we’re willing to build a pool for less than $100,000.  No major snafus yet, other than the delays which they owned from the start. 

Edited by Your Mom

On 10/25/2021 at 4:01 PM, TexasEd said:

Have them build it to your specs.  You may want some deeper and others more shallow.  Jet position relative to your back is a big deal.  Water line will be about 3 inches below the top of the forms.  My wife is disappointed she did not get more detailed on how to do ours and that we did not include a foot jet.

Can you elaborate on this a bit?  Our design never got into the position of jets. I think we have 5 or 6, but they are all on the walls, no foot jets.  

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Is the UV worth it for sanitation? 

Is your pool outside?  The sun give you free UV. (Yes it is a waste)

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Can you elaborate on this a bit?  Our design never got into the position of jets. I think we have 5 or 6, but they are all on the walls, no foot jets.  

If you sit in a fiberglass hot tub you get jets in different positions some low, some high, and maybe even some that come up out of the floor for your feet.  My wife broke her ankle and generally has foot problems so a water jet for her feet would be good. She also suffers from bulging disc in her neck at times.  If the water line is mid chest then you are not going to have a jet available for your shoulders and neck without slouching way down so you need some seats that are deeper under water and maybe have some jets set for shoulders and others set for lower back.  Ours are all lower back.

So my advice is add one foot jet in the bottom and set the rest so half are for lower back and half neck/shoulders.  It may not be in the design but talk about it when they build the forms for the spa and again when the plumbers come to run pipes before the shotcrete.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Convince a cheap bastard with a sophomore and 8th grader to buy a pool for $75k when it would have been $55k a year ago...

Go.

• Why are you getting such a cheap pool?  :)
  • Chlorine kills covid
  • Kids will have an excuse to have their friends over and you will know where they are.  My 9th grader is having her NYE party with a few friends in our backyard on the new patio adjacent to our pool.  They love using that patio to do their tic tok and just play music and have fun.
  • I have been using my spa to help heal my shoulder after rotator cuff.
  • At the rate of inflation by the time the pool is built it will be worth 100K but the cash will still only be worth $75K
  • Do you like watching your wife in a bathing suit top? I do and she invites friends.  Seriously, having friends over with is a huge part of it for me.  There are just fewer opportunities to get together these days and in your back yard is one of the few.