Yes: Pools are worth it....

Having my first pool built (we had one when I was a teen that I maintained).

Specs are 34x14' about 13,500 gallons.  3.5' to 6' depth.  Priced with all Jandy equipment including the robotic cleaner, gas heater, and DE filter.

It will have a faux negative edge on the arc end.  I was initially nervous about water splash out but I guess it will be ok?

I saw up thread a lot of people mentioned getting the heat pump pool heater but is that a good plan with a spa?  About 1/3 of the cost is in the sidewalks and decking.  We have to push it out from the house to protect a heritage oak (represented by the white tree) close to the house.

Anything you guys would change?

Pool Design.png

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Specs are 34x14' about 13,500 gallons.  3.5' to 6' depth.  Priced with all Jandy equipment including the robotic cleaner, gas heater, and DE filter.
It will have a faux negative edge on the arc end.  I was initially nervous about water splash out but I guess it will be ok?
I saw up thread a lot of people mentioned getting the heat pump pool heater but is that a good plan with a spa?  About 1/3 of the cost is in the sidewalks and decking.  We have to push it out from the house to protect a heritage oak (represented by the white tree) close to the house.

921917049_PoolDesign.thumb.png.b0c620488269886f2aaa51b0076a3669.png

Looks awesome.

Looks real good.
I have a huge oak tree that hangs over our pool and it’s a pain in the ass to keep the pool clean because the robot does not clean that well in my opinion. I wish I was not talked out of the in-floor cleaning system to help clean what the robot does not. Might be worth looking into. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you have the infinity look where the water is at the edge of the pool, then it should be set up for the water to go over the edge and caught by a return system. You shouldn't have water just going over the edge of your pool and into your yard.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Pool Design.png

Looks good.  I don't think the heat pump will work well with a spa.  It is not a quick heater.  Our pool is a little bigger (about 19' X 40', 4.5' to 6' depth) and you are lucky to raise the temp 1 degree per hour.  Of course, you would be heating a much smaller area for the hot tub, but I just don't see it being capable of a hot tub experience unless you keep it running 24 hours a day.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
12 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Read more  

If you have the infinity look where the water is at the edge of the pool, then it should be set up for the water to go over the edge and caught by a return system. You shouldn't have water just going over the edge of your pool and into your yard.

This is my concern.  It is described as an infinity edge look but you keep the water line at the bottom of it so it does not overflow the edge unless cannonball and then only as much as you might see splash out with a traditional edge.  I plan to have a gravel bed at the base of the wall.

I would love to hear any experience with this type of edge.  The fact that it is not common gives me pause.

Edit:  We do back to a greenbelt and there are some nice trees and greenery there, It is a sloped yard as well but we are not very elevated there is a small canyon behind my metal fence.  Right now the view is partially blocked by the zipline fort but that will come down and the pool will be here long after the fort is gone.  So trying to take advantage of the view was part of the designer's goal.

Full infinity edge with catch basin and return probably adds $20K to the cost.  This edge or traditional coping are the same price.

Edited by TexasEd

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What are they whacking you for on that project?

low 6 figures.  Includes a long gas line run to the back of the yard.  Top patio area is already there but the sidewalk and steps down will be new/replaced and all the decking and retaining walls.  Light fixtures in the walls not included in price but the electrical work and installation is.  Our yard drops about 8 feet from the patio to where the back of the pool is.  Back wall may be as high as 6 feet above ground.  I'm working on getting that down and pulling it a little closer to the house.

I think prices are probably up 33% in the last 10 years when we last had a pool priced.

This is my concern.  It is described as an infinity edge look but you keep the water line at the bottom of it so it does not overflow the edge unless cannonball and then only as much as you might see splash out with a traditional edge.  I plan to have a gravel bed at the base of the wall.
I would love to hear any experience with this type of edge.  The fact that it is not common gives me pause.
Edit:  We do back to a greenbelt and there are some nice trees and greenery there, It is a sloped yard as well but we are not very elevated there is a small canyon behind my metal fence.  Right now the view is partially blocked by the zipline fort but that will come down and the pool will be here long after the fort is gone.  So trying to take advantage of the view was part of the designer's goal.
Full infinity edge with catch basin and return probably adds $20K to the cost.  This edge or traditional coping are the same price.

The infinity edge with the catch basin will probably lower the temperature in your pool by several degrees which will be nice in the summer.

Just now, Hate said:

The infinity edge with the catch basin will probably lower the temperature in your pool by several degrees which will be nice in the summer.

But another $20K makes it a no go.  We have the 3 deck jets, bubbler in the tanning ledge and a sheer waterfall on the deep end to help cool.  It's either this faux infinity edge that lets the wind blow in (prevailing winds come towards the house) or standard edge.  I'll go get a couple pictures of the yard.  

Here are some more pictures with current view and proposed.

Edit:  For reference, the metal arch is where the retaining wall for the pool deck starts and the existing retaining wall is where the water line starts.  Currently the back edge of the pool is about 3 feet from the rock border/end of the grass in the first picture.  Probably going to reduce the deck size to pull it close to the house.

IMG_1910.JPG

Pool 2.png

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

low 6 figures.  Includes a long gas line run to the back of the yard.  Top patio area is already there but the sidewalk and steps down will be new/replaced and all the decking and retaining walls.  Light fixtures in the walls not included in price but the electrical work and installation is.  Our yard drops about 8 feet from the patio to where the back of the pool is.  Back wall may be as high as 6 feet above ground.  I'm working on getting that down and pulling it a little closer to the house.

I think prices are probably up 33% in the last 10 years when we last had a pool priced.

Jesus H. Christ.

Looks really nice though. I think the faux infinity edge or whatever looks a little cooler than just a normal edge there. I don't really understand the mechanics of water not splashing out of there a bunch. Only thing that kind of bugs me about the design is how the two sides edges closest to the house don't connect to the spa symmetrically. Maybe there's a design reason for that. I also think those little short walls sloping down along the sides of the steps seem a little pointless - feel like you're going to end up stepping over those all the time.

It's that time of year when good men who own pools go to war. The war against algae.

Finally got the upper hand yesterday when I noticed the pattern of algae spread was coming from the pool jets. Oh, must need to backwash the filter... yep, that's green.

Also just now, after over a year, discovered that I can adjust the spring tension on the valve on the creepy crawly so that I can run it without having to crank up the pump speed 🤦‍♂️

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Only thing that kind of bugs me about the design is how the two sides edges closest to the house don't connect to the spa symmetrically. Maybe there's a design reason for that. I also think those little short walls sloping down along the sides of the steps seem a little pointless - feel like you're going to end up stepping over those all the time.

I've asked to fix the pool edge line twice and I think it got left out of the latest rendering.

The designer said the retaining walls on the side of the steps/path were to prevent the dirt from the upper areas washing down the steps.  I don't see it but my wife likes the look of it too.  The sidewalk is about 6 feet wide so I don't think we will be tripping over the wall.

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

It’s insane how easy it is to get to $100k or even a bunch more on backyard pool and landscape.

About 25-30% of our construction budget is retaining walls and decking.  Landscaping and new fences are not in the budget I mentioned.

21 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

The designer said the retaining walls on the side of the steps/path were to prevent the dirt from the upper areas washing down the steps.  I don't see it but my wife likes the look of it too.  The sidewalk is about 6 feet wide so I don't think we will be tripping over the wall.

That makes sense. Really nice looking setup overall.

17 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Pool Design.png

Looks like a pretty damn great start to me.  My 2 cents, since you asked...

1. I think you already addressed this, but the lack of symmetry on either side of the spa seems weird if you're leaving it that way.  I'm guessing the right side (if you're looking at it from the back toward the house) is meant to be repeated on the other side?  So you have matching tanning ledges and water bubblers?
  2. Spa looks a little small for a pool that big to me.  How many people will that hold?  I'd consider making it bigger, even if you don't think you'll use it much.  Just from a proportion standpoint, it looks a little off.  Maybe even make it more of an oval/ellipse or rectangle so it takes up more room left to right and cuts into some of that suntan ledge (which is pretty worthless).
  3. My biggest change is the 3 pillars with the deck jets in the back.  Not sure what that's adding to the cost, but I'd scrap them.  The pillars, unless thy are needed for structural reasons, won't be seen from the house.  And although the deck jets are cool (I'm doing them on my pool now), you can absolutely accomplish the same look by having them come from the other direction.  That is to say, they can be in the deck and shoot away from the house and give you the same look and feel and that would have to be cheaper than building dedicated pillars for them and running plumbing back there.
  4. I think I understand that faux infinity edge and it makes sense to me.  The problem I have is it looks like they've drawn it like an infinity edge, but, assuming I'm understanding right, it's just a tile edge with no coping along that side, right?  That won't really look like an infinity edge.  I'd ask them to draw it how it's really going to look and see if you still like it.  And then I'd ask to see it with coping and see what you like better.
  5. Finally, be sure you have a place in the decking plan for dining furniture and conversation area furniture.  I'm guessing that will be up closer to the house, but it's hard to tell on the drawings.

Feaux infinity edge can be cool. It’s like a zero edge we had in our hot tub before we sold it. Loved it. Water loss for sure but only if the kids are splashing a lot, but you’d have that anyway. Make sure you have an auto filler for that. Make sure you have a large enough hot tub, with enough jets - I like at least 8. It’s the most used feature across all seasons and all stages of life. Good amount of under water lights. I don’t like the water features but that’s personal preference. I prefer the bubblers on the shelf more. If there are no trees around then I would strongly consider under ground cleaning instead of the Polaris wheel type but more for looks. It’s not as effective and is more expensive but a pool that doesn’t have the Polaris going can be sexy as hell.

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Looks like a pretty damn great start to me.  My 2 cents, since you asked...

1. I think you already addressed this, but the lack of symmetry on either side of the spa seems weird if you're leaving it that way.  I'm guessing the right side (if you're looking at it from the back toward the house) is meant to be repeated on the other side?  So you have matching tanning ledges and water bubblers?
  2. Spa looks a little small for a pool that big to me.  How many people will that hold?  I'd consider making it bigger, even if you don't think you'll use it much.  Just from a proportion standpoint, it looks a little off.  Maybe even make it more of an oval/ellipse or rectangle so it takes up more room left to right and cuts into some of that suntan ledge (which is pretty worthless).
  3. My biggest change is the 3 pillars with the deck jets in the back.  Not sure what that's adding to the cost, but I'd scrap them.  The pillars, unless thy are needed for structural reasons, won't be seen from the house.  And although the deck jets are cool (I'm doing them on my pool now), you can absolutely accomplish the same look by having them come from the other direction.  That is to say, they can be in the deck and shoot away from the house and give you the same look and feel and that would have to be cheaper than building dedicated pillars for them and running plumbing back there.
  4. I think I understand that faux infinity edge and it makes sense to me.  The problem I have is it looks like they've drawn it like an infinity edge, but, assuming I'm understanding right, it's just a tile edge with no coping along that side, right?  That won't really look like an infinity edge.  I'd ask them to draw it how it's really going to look and see if you still like it.  And then I'd ask to see it with coping and see what you like better.
  5. Finally, be sure you have a place in the decking plan for dining furniture and conversation area furniture.  I'm guessing that will be up closer to the house, but it's hard to tell on the drawings.

1. My wife says It is supposed to be asymmetrical and I don't have a design eye.  the deep end had an additional jag in it I asked to be taken out so I "made it worse".  I want it straight across.  

2. Spa is 7' in diameter interior dimension.  It is large but the pool is 34 feet wide.  My wife's # 1 feature is the suntan ledge.  When we go to a friend's house that is where all the women stay.  My want was the 6' depth that you can't stand in.  If you can stand in the whole thing its a wading pool not a swimming pool.

3. Again, I don't care about the deck jets in the back.  If they were free I would care less but at the price they are I guess I couldn't care less about them.  I got the step up on the deep end edge you can't see with a sheer waterfall.  That way it has a small diving platform if only an extra 6 inches higher than the rest of the deck.

4. There is a problem with the rendering that the faux edge does not come up to the same level as the tile surround and makes it look like a true edge.  We have seen it with coping and we chose this way.  as you pointed out the only thing missing on that side is the coping.  The tile goes to the same height all the way around it is just not drawn that way.  In real life it is supposed to be an optical illusion.

5. Yes, I have a huge existing 29'x13.5'  flagstone patio next to the house.  This is why I think we can shrink the decking around the pool to where we have room for 2 loungers and 2-3 regular patio chairs and a small table between them.  The retaining wall will also be seating height.

Edited by TexasEd

10 hours ago, tbone_ said:

It’s insane how easy it is to get to $100k or even a bunch more on backyard pool and landscape.

It doesn’t take much any more. I’m there with just the pool and part of the decking. My first house 20 years ago wasn’t even that much.

8 hours ago, TexasEd said:

1. My wife says It is supposed to be asymmetrical and I don't have a design eye.  the deep end had an additional jag in it I asked to be taken out so I "made it worse".  I want it straight across.  

2. Spa is 7' in diameter interior dimension.  It is large but the pool is 34 feet wide.  My wife's # 1 feature is the suntan ledge.  When we go to a friend's house that is where all the women stay.  My want was the 6' depth that you can't stand in.  If you can stand in the whole thing its a wading pool not a swimming pool.

3. Again, I don't care about the deck jets in the back.  If they were free I would care less but at the price they are I guess I couldn't care less about them.  I got the step up on the deep end edge you can't see with a sheer waterfall.  That way it has a small diving platform if only an extra 6 inches higher than the rest of the deck.

4. There is a problem with the rendering that the faux edge does not come up to the same level as the tile surround and makes it look like a true edge.  We have seen it with coping and we chose this way.  as you pointed out the only thing missing on that side is the coping.  The tile goes to the same height all the way around it is just not drawn that way.  In real life it is supposed to be an optical illusion.

5. Yes, I have a huge existing 29'x13.5'  flagstone patio next to the house.  This is why I think we can shrink the decking around the pool to where we have room for 2 loungers and 2-3 regular patio chairs and a small table between them.  The retaining wall will also be seating height.

1. Like you, I would want it straight across too.  As I said, I'd want both sides to mirror the side on the right (as you're looking at it from the back side toward the house).  That would give her double tanning shelfs, since that's so important to her, and give you bubblers on both sides.  I guess I just don't see this pool as one that should be asymmetrical.  There's a fine line in design between something looking purposefully asymmetrical and something looking like a mistake.  But hey, she's your wife and happy wife...blah blah blah.

2. I'd consider a little bigger spa.  As @troph mentioned up thread, "It’s the most used feature across all seasons and all stages of life."  No truer words.

3. Not sure I'm following you here, but I think you're saying the cost of those pillars for the deck jets is negligible?  If that's the case, then yeah, leave them.

4. Yeah, I think you made the right call there...I think you're getting the next best thing to a true infinity edge.  Plus you can always just fill it up to the edge when people come over so they think you have a true infinity edge hahaha

5. Yep, sounds like you nailed it.

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Mine is right at 7’ as well and it’s perfect. You can easily fit 6 adults in it.

13 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

best size to me, wouldn't "want" any smaller, larger ones just have lots of wasted internal space that takes longer to heat up

Sounds like we are at the right size, just that the pool makes it look small in the drawings.

Should we do anything special in the spa?  Right now it is just 6 standard jets.  I'm thinking about going to 10 or 12 just to have more than one jet on a person at a time.

Edited by TexasEd

3 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Sounds like we are at the right size, just that the pool makes it look small in the drawings.

Should we do anything special in the spa?  Right now it is just 6 standard jets.  I'm thinking about going to 10 or 12 just to have more than one jet on a person at a time.

We have 2 on each side for total of 8. You won't want to sit on the jets so might be all you want. There are some different kinds though (I didn't know that when we built).  There are ones I know where you can switch out the "heads" on them for different ones - straight, directional, spinning. No clue if worth it though. Since my PB didn't mention I'm guessing they are not.

I would make sure the seats will be slightly inclined for more comfortable seating.  Our PB also made one side seat a few inch taller to accommodate different height people or different feeling.

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

We have 2 on each side for total of 8. You won't want to sit on the jets so might be all you want. There are some different kinds though (I didn't know that when we built).  There are ones I know where you can switch out the "heads" on them for different ones - straight, directional, spinning. No clue if worth it though. Since my PB didn't mention I'm guessing they are not.

I would make sure the seats will be slightly inclined for more comfortable seating.  Our PB also made one side seat a few inch taller to accommodate different height people or different feeling.

Your wife may want to sit on a jet....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hate said:

Mine is right at 7’ as well and it’s perfect. You can easily fit 6 adults in it.

Can you really fit 6 adults in there comfortably?  Mine is 5' x 10' (so roughly the same square footage) and they say you can fit 6 in mine comfortably, but it will hold 4 people comfortably...tops.  Maybe even 3, depending on how close you want to get with said people.

Can you really fit 6 adults in there comfortably?  Mine is 5' x 10' (so roughly the same square footage) and they say you can fit 6 in mine comfortably, but it will hold 4 people comfortably...tops.  Maybe even 3, depending on how close you want to get with said people.

Yeah, we could. There may be some leg bumping but everyone would have enough room. We don’t ever have 6 people in there though. It’s usually just me with my “bar” watching football.

Our spa is more of an oval and more like 7.5 ft on the short side and 8.5 on the long side. I wouldn’t want any smaller. You can fit 8 people with nobody touching. Our family of 5 is in there together all the time, way more often than the pool.

We heated the pool up to 91 yesterday and had a bunch of family over. Took about 10 hours with the 400K BTU heater. I love getting the pool up to near hot tub heat in the cool weather.

Anybody got product recommendations for getting the house door and windows to code for inspection (I'm in Austin)?  Door alarms seem pretty easy to find, but I have 11 windows that need something.  I was told window stops are ok but need to be ASTM F2090 compliant and not finding any simple/inexpensive solutions that state that.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:36 AM, HookEm said:

Our spa is more of an oval and more like 7.5 ft on the short side and 8.5 on the long side. I wouldn’t want any smaller. You can fit 8 people with nobody touching. Our family of 5 is in there together all the time, way more often than the pool.

We heated the pool up to 91 yesterday and had a bunch of family over. Took about 10 hours with the 400K BTU heater. I love getting the pool up to near hot tub heat in the cool weather.

What does heating up the pool run you on the gas bill, if you don't mind.

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

What does heating up the pool run you on the gas bill, if you don't mind.

I haven't done my pool yet (new this summer), but running calculations on it (25k gallon), 400K BTU heater, with current gas prices was around I believe  $3/hr to run the heater and calculations indicate possibly 1 degree raise per hour (hoping for at least).  So if I ran it all day would be ~ $70/day. 

Here is an online calculator that is on the low side I think:

https://poolchemicalcalculator.com/Pool-Heat-Time-Calculator.html

Just factor in your gas price knowing you're running 400k (or whatever) BTUs per hour

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
added calculator link

@texased, some other thoughts. You've got one design element that I have, and it's the one thing I'd change. With the hot tub between the patio and the main pool body, you've introduced a blind spot into the pool. It's not a huge thing, and our kids have learned to not linger there, but I don't love it. Think through where you'll likely be sitting most of the time, and where the kids will want to jump from (hint - it's from the elevated hot tub ledge). I'd HIGHLY suggest sinking the hot tub a few feet so you can see all of the pool surface area. You can do some cool things with a small retaining wall, or maybe a circular set of steps down to the hot tub coping.

The second item that our pool builder completely missed is fucking accent lighting on the decking areas. I get it, they're pool builders and not backyard designers, but still. I notice the same in your renderings - you'll want low voltage lights in the face of those steps down, probably some LV lights in the retaining wall (down-firing), and some accent lighting in the plants. Think about being able to get around at night without having to turn on the floodlights from the house, for example, or having enough lights to have guests out back but still maintain the night-time look. Plus you don't want people eating shit going down (or up) the stairs. It cost me a pretty penny to add direct-bury LV wire and have them put in the boxes before they poured the concrete, but I'm so glad they did. I had them run two sets of wire to each box, in case I ever got a short that melted one of them. I had the step lights and the retaining wall lights put on separate switches, so I can turn on one or both, and they're wired to extra "slots" on my pool pump controller (and thus, to the app). Also, run 110v power outlets while the electrician is there - decking framers will need to run conduit for that, too, but it's never going to be any easier to do than now. Put a few outlets out of the back side in the yard while you're at it - future power tool use, xmas lights, projector for movie night, etc. When the electrician is out to hook up the eletrical for the pool, you can pay him in cash on the side to hook up those outlets (mine are all on the same circuit), but you gotta have the conduit there first. It's not possible to have too many power outlets.

Lastly, we did the oval spa shape on the advice of a neighbor, and love it. Our spa is in that 7' range, but we can sit 6 adults very comfortably, and even cram a few kids in there too. Making the spa an oval actually gives you more "butt space" vs a circle.

Fuck I love my pool, so glad I made that decision early last year. We've been in almost nightly, esp the hot tub.

Edited by capnamerca
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I haven't done my pool yet (new this summer), but running calculations on it (25k gallon), 400K BTU heater, with current gas prices was around I believe  $3/hr to run the heater and calculations indicate possibly 1 degree raise per hour (hoping for at least).  So if I ran it all day would be ~ $70/day. 

Just factor in your gas price knowing you're running 400k (or whatever) BTUs per hour

Thank you, sir.

15 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Those $ numbers are a pretty good estimate. To heat ours up in the middle of winter, I figured $80-$100 if it was cold. However, ours seemed like it would heat up more like 1.5 degrees or even a little higher per hour I think. We could warm it up overnight pretty easily if it was in the high 50’s. Once heated it would maintain it pretty easily.

I built a spreadsheet to calculate it.  I was figuring $1.77 per hour running the heater full bore.  Here are the assumptions.

Gas $ / ft3:  $0.00459 / cu ft in Leander

BTU / ft3:  1,037 (natl average)

Gas $ / therm:  $0.4426   (note: therm = 100,000 BTU)

So a 400,000 BTU / Hour heater would run 4 x 0.4426 = $1.77 per hour

My pool heats at 2.5 degrees per hour during the day with the sun contributing.  Later in the evening it was more like 1.8 - 2.0 degrees.

Hot tub costs ~ $1.40 to heat it 10 degrees.

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

I built a spreadsheet to calculate it.  I was figuring $1.77 per hour running the heater full bore.  Here are the assumptions.

Gas $ / ft3:  $0.00459 / cu ft in Leander

BTU / ft3:  1,037 (natl average)

Gas $ / therm:  $0.4426   (note: therm = 100,000 BTU)

So a 400,000 BTU / Hour heater would run 4 x 0.4426 = $1.77 per hour

My pool heats at 2.5 degrees per hour during the day with the sun contributing.  Later in the evening it was more like 1.8 - 2.0 degrees.

Hot tub costs ~ $1.40 to heat it 10 degrees.

Is there a factor in there for heater efficiency?

The 3 majors are btwn 83 and 84.

On 10/6/2020 at 12:12 PM, HouTex said:

FWIW, I rarely used my heater to heat my pool during the winter. It was mainly used to heat the spa-and it was a large one holding up to 8 people comfortably, and my natural gas bills were never crazy high.

We ran ours 2-3 times a winter when there was going to be a nice day in the 70’s for the kids to swim. We also ran it during extended cold snaps to keep the surface from freezing, so I didn’t have to worry about the liner.

Getting ready to start on ours in the next week or so. Before picture from above attached, it should look a little different once complete. The people before got carried away with rock work and letting everything get overgrown.

9F577D07-76E7-4AB8-AA73-F6C58FA5A0EF.jpeg

Anybody got product recommendations for getting the house door and windows to code for inspection (I'm in Austin)?  Door alarms seem pretty easy to find, but I have 11 windows that need something.  I was told window stops are ok but need to be ASTM F2090 compliant and not finding any simple/inexpensive solutions that state that.

Hey Pants Im in the same boat. You figure anything out on the alarms? Im not even sure what to use on the door. Ive seen the cheapo alarms but there has to be a better option, I,hope. Im in round rock.

Hey Pants Im in the same boat. You figure anything out on the alarms? Im not even sure what to use on the door. Ive seen the cheapo alarms but there has to be a better option, I,hope. Im in round rock.
I guess you guys don't have a home alarm system that you can turn on/off chimes for doors and windows?
If not, that would be probably the best option is to get an alarm company to do a free install with a one year contract.

I guess you guys don't have a home alarm system that you can turn on/off chimes for doors and windows?
If not, that would be probably the best option is to get an alarm company to do a free install with a one year contract.
My code doesn't allow just door "chime" alarm. It has to be a constant "wail" until door is closed again, so my alarm system wasn't adequate.

I did manage to rig mine on the hinge side of the door so it didn't look so bad, but they still are cheap plastic boxes on the door frame.