Yes: Pools are worth it....

Do they make any no maintenance pools now? Like pools that will shock themselves and whatnot? 

A SWCG is half way there. If you have a steady consistent supply of chlorine, you never need to “shock” it.

I’ve found I need a couple of cups of acid every two days though. Hopefully that slows down once the pebble is older.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

A SWCG is half way there. If you have a steady consistent supply of chlorine, you never need to “shock” it.

I’ve found I need a couple of cups of acid every two days though. Hopefully that slows down once the pebble is older.

My old pool was saltwater and about all I ever did was add salt and acid.  It was wonderful.

My current pool is a lot bigger, no saltwater so it requires a little more TlC to keep chlorine at the right level and I use borax to make it feel a little softer too.  Either way, the key is never let it get to no residual free chlorine or you’re going to work to get it back with shock and cleaning.

13 hours ago, immamac said:

Do they make any no maintenance pools now? Like pools that will shock themselves and whatnot? 

Pay the pool maintenance company to come by once a week. I have found that’s the only way I get any enjoyment out of having a pool at this point and the maintenance is the main reason I had no plans to build another one. However, I’m married so that didn’t go as originally agreed upon.

The biggest issue we have is even with all the automated shit on pools now, keeping the free chlorine in line has been a pain in the ass. We have more rain and probably a wider band of temps than you guys do, but it’s constantly something.

Mines pretty much no maintenance although shit breaks on occasion - no trees, swg, and intellichem system which automatically adds acid. The tank is too small though so I probably have to add acid to the tank every 3 weeks. The only issue I have is that I need to install 30 feet of gutters to keep roof water out of the pool.

My old pool was saltwater and about all I ever did was add salt and acid.  It was wonderful.

My current pool is a lot bigger, no saltwater so it requires a little more TlC to keep chlorine at the right level and I use borax to make it feel a little softer too.  Either way, the key is never let it get to no residual free chlorine or you’re going to work to get it back with shock and cleaning.

This. I don’t have a pool any longer but I miss my old house and pool. It got to where I needed to add maybe a quart of acid every two weeks or so and that was pretty much it. The Polaris 280 kept my pool spotless. No need for a pool guy.

I'm now looking at putting a Stenner pump/tank in to automate bleach additions instead of a SWG. Anyone have experience with these?

Looks like it will cost about $500. Looking at perhaps this one: 

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/stenner-single-head-fixed-output-pump-with-30-gallon-tank-2-tube-10-gpd-system

TFP has a pretty good thread explaining it: 

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/stenner-liquid-chlorine-pump-how-to-choose-and-install.169591/

my pool is already 91 degrees. usually only got up to 90 and not until late July. cost of the darker plaster...and we lost a LOT of shade from trees and giant palms that died during the freeze. wow.😳

Edited by mchookem

Dumb question but how do you guys keep your pools from getting too hot in summer? Signed, guy from Minnesota who is moving to Texas soon and knows nothing about pools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cheap way is to get some PVC pipe and make one or two fountains that screw into your pool return lines in the pool. The idea is to spray small streams of water at least 6 feet into the air. The evaporation process lowers the temperature of the water. In about 24 hours I could lower my water temp about 5 degrees. You have to run the pump 24/7. The TFP site has some DIYs on it.

9 hours ago, feces hurling monkey said:

Dumb question but how do you guys keep your pools from getting too hot in summer? Signed, guy from Minnesota who is moving to Texas soon and knows nothing about pools.

I personally like it on the warmer side, but have heard great things about Glacier chillers ("swamp" style coolers) in the Houston area.

On 6/13/2021 at 1:53 PM, BillyBadAss said:

I'm now looking at putting a Stenner pump/tank in to automate bleach additions instead of a SWG. Anyone have experience with these?

Looks like it will cost about $500. Looking at perhaps this one: 

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/stenner-single-head-fixed-output-pump-with-30-gallon-tank-2-tube-10-gpd-system

TFP has a pretty good thread explaining it: 

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/stenner-liquid-chlorine-pump-how-to-choose-and-install.169591/

Any reason you aren't just going SWG?  Asking as I'm weighing switching over at end of this pool season.

at this point i’d kill for 90 degree temps. according to the aqualink app, mines is hitting mid 90s by 3p. also direct sun all day.

got one of those pvc fountain things coming today. also changed the pump schedule to run 4 hours overnight and then 5 hours during the day. hoping that circulating the water when it’s “cooler” will help. fuuuuuck. 

On 6/16/2021 at 7:53 AM, Quagmire said:

Saw this the other day seems like it would work to drop the temps

https://lilychillers.com

Funny.  I actually ordered this yesterday as well as pool temp already hit 90.  We cut down a couple of trees that provided more shade but were massive pains in the ass as far as leaves, etc.  Win some lose some.  Hopefully these work.

Edit:  Just received a notice mine should arrive late afternoon tomorrow so fast turnaround.   Will report back next week.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

Funny.  I actually ordered this yesterday as well as pool temp already hit 90.  We cut down a couple of trees that provided more shade but were massive pains in the ass as far as leaves, etc.  Win some lose some.  Hopefully these work.
Edit:  Just received a notice mine should arrive late afternoon tomorrow so fast turnaround.   Will report back next week.

Report back if they work, still waiting for them to start my build but interested to see if I should get some.

3 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Report back if they work, still waiting for them to start my build but interested to see if I should get some.

I have a Glacier pool chiller but it is installed incorrectly so I don't use it. Maybe one day I will get it fixed but it is very loud when it is running. It is suppose to be installed separate from any other systems. Looking at the design, it seems like that is a necessity. Water sits at the base of the unit so the inflow and outflow need to be closely matched. Otherwise, water will splash out of the unit.

I have a large waterfall over a grotto and 3 smaller waterfall water features. Part of my pool is covered by a deck and when the pool temps get too high, I just run the waterfalls more often.

SIAP but I'm just finding out about the chlorine shortage due to C19 and a fire at one of the plants in LA.  Holy shit $190 for a 40lb bucket of Chorbrite from Leslies.  Anyone know of cheaper alternatives?  My BIL has gone to liquid chlorine but I haven't asked where he gets it from or how much he pays.  

5 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

SIAP but I'm just finding out about the chlorine shortage due to C19 and a fire at one of the plants in LA.  Holy shit $190 for a 40lb bucket of Chorbrite from Leslies.  Anyone know of cheaper alternatives?  My BIL has gone to liquid chlorine but I haven't asked where he gets it from or how much he pays.  

I didn't look at the price but it was available at Costco.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:42 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Any reason you aren't just going SWG?  Asking as I'm weighing switching over at end of this pool season.

My PB doesn't want to do travertine coping on a free-form pool - says the travertine coping pieces are smaller than other natural stone and will end up with pizza slice pieces on the curves. I'm not sure I totally buy that, but at the same time I don't know why he'd care to lie...  My next choice is Lueder limestone, which I'm less certain will do well with salt.  I'm not actually sure whether the salt thing with natural stone is overblown or real, but using a auto-feed liquid chlorine system looks almost as easy as SWG - so thought I'd go for it and save myself the worry (and initial cost). 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

My PB doesn't want to do travertine coping on a free-form pool - says the travertine coping pieces are smaller than other natural stone and will end up with pizza slice pieces on the curves. I'm not sure I totally buy that, but at the same time I don't know why he'd care to lie...  My next choice is Lueder limestone, which I'm less certain will do well with salt.  I'm not actually sure whether the salt thing with natural stone is overblown or real, but using a auto-feed liquid chlorine system looks almost as easy as SWG - so thought I'd go for it and save myself the worry (and initial cost). 

If you are in Austin, it might be worth it to drive to https://stonecreekpavers.com . I thought their products looked pretty good, although I didn't go that route and instead bought travertine online. They manufacture concrete pool coping that looks like natural stone and are in Manor.

On 6/18/2021 at 3:06 PM, BottleRocket said:

Liquid chlorine is available at Home Depot, Lowes, Leslies, etc.

It doesn't have cyanuric acid in it, so you may need to add stabilizer, but otherwise it's pretty simple. You can even just use Clorox - it's the same stuff - although it is typically a lower concentration than the liquid chlorine marketed for pools.

• Like 1

It doesn't have cyanuric acid in it, so you may need to add stabilizer, but otherwise it's pretty simple. You can even just use Clorox - it's the same stuff - although it is typically a lower concentration than the liquid chlorine marketed for pools.

This. If you need chlorine you can just go to Walmart or Costco and buy as much Clorox or generic liquid beach as you need. The pool calculator app will tell how much you need to add depending on the concentration of the liquid chlorine and the size of your pool. Make sure to buy plain bleach with no scent or other additives.

9 hours ago, Hornlover said:

If you've been using pucks for a long time, you probably have too much CYA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

If you've been using pucks for a long time, you probably have too much CYA.

Our pool company told us to use a mix of liquid and tabs. Favor the liquid, and use a small amount of tabs every other week, otherwise the tabs will eventually put too much stabilizer and then you are screwed. 

I have a pump that must have slightly expanded or something during icemagedon.  It was not leaking or anything when the crew came to replace some cracked plumbing the first time around.  Fast forward a month later and a tiny drip is starting.  No big deal, we think it's just the collar that needs tightening.  It starts leaking at little more so I try to get back on the pool repair schedule.  lol.  By the time they can come out just to look at it, it's a leak coming from the bottom of the pump.  Crap.  dude says cracked pump.  4 weeks later and they are finally supposed to come out on Tuesday to fix.

- Other shops I called were running 8 weeks.  This plus the new AC we just put in yesterday are really making me short the family's medical/food/well being to keep my drug and gambling 'problem' going full tilt.  thanks a lot Obama

On 6/17/2021 at 12:11 PM, Skipper said:

How have these worked out for you?

23 hours ago, Lou said:

How have these worked out for you?

They definitely help.  Noticeable difference.  I have 20 total and I'm guessing that gets me somewhere around 70% coverage.  Water temp only went up 1-2 degrees during the day time this weekend.  Taking them out before swimming is a bit annoying but not that big of a deal.  The only downside is that when it's windy (like it was this weekend) some will fold in half or blow together so you definitely lose some coverage or have to go back out and reset them.  My pool area is surrounded by a fence on one side and house on the other so is relatively wind protected but it was still a problem with the gusts we had.  So if you have a more open pool area these may not work for you any time it's windy.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Can you hang a small weight from them, like a decoy? 

I think it would be tricky to make it work and it sounds like way too much effort.  It would also significantly overcomplicate removal and temporary storage for 20 separate floats.   I would probably just try to come up with a different solution if pool wasn't somewhat protected from wind.

Damn pants feel for you. Same shit got me twice this year. 1 was terrible. Mud, grass trash all kinda shit. Another was light.
Where you at?
Just let the system run and run your robot many times

I’m in Circle C area. We got about 3” in 45 mins or so today. Yeah this is the third or fourth time. It’s not so bad, just frustrating. It clears up in a couple of days after doing exactly what you said.

Pools are worth it, but I’m beginning to wonder about children. Just got back in town from a week trip to find that one of my kids left the Polaris on the pool deck all week. We had storms and the water is down below the skimmers and the pool is full of trash. I don’t have an auto-fill of any kind.

I’m topping off the pool now and really hope the pump works when I turn it on. Will try not to murder the kid.

Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and put a pool in at the new house.  I don't know the first thing about a pool other than it holds water.  I just got a preliminary drawing back from my pool builder and its less than mesmerizing.  Could some of you help me out here? 

Beach entry looks a little on the small side.  I would like enough room for two lounge chairs in the water there.

On the equipment placement I don't want it next to the house.  Has anyone seen the equipment located remotely in the backyard?

Thanks in advance!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Edited by milkman

15 hours ago, milkman said:

Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and put a pool in at the new house.  I don't know the first thing about a pool other than it holds water.  I just got a preliminary drawing back from my pool builder and its less than mesmerizing.  Could some of you help me out here? 

Beach entry looks a little on the small side.  I would like enough room for two lounge chairs in the water there.

On the equipment placement I don't want it next to the house.  Has anyone seen the equipment located remotely in the backyard?

Thanks in advance!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Nice deck homey

Edited by BurntOrange&White

On 6/15/2021 at 11:10 PM, feces hurling monkey said:

Glacier Chillers. The most efficient ones I’ve seen. Costs like $30-50 a month to run everyday. I have to dial back on the number of hours it runs as my pool can actually get too cold for most swimmers (<80 degrees).

• Hook 'Em 1