The Sopranos

wild_turkey

She also played Frasier's mom on "Cheers"  She was a brilliant actor, shame we didn't really get her "break" or appreciated until "The Sopranos" when she was almost 70.  Crazy to think it's been 20 years already since she died.  RIP.

When's the prequel supposed to be released?  Is it gonna be a cinema movie or direct to HBO?  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

She also played Frasier's mom on "Cheers"  She was a brilliant actor, shame we didn't really get her "break" or appreciated until "The Sopranos" when she was almost 70.  Crazy to think it's been 20 years already since she died.  RIP.

When's the prequel supposed to be released?  Is it gonna be a cinema movie or direct to HBO?  

She won 4 Emmys for her role in Lou Grant.

Okay, sorry...she got some well-deserved hardware for a supporting role in a spin-off that was on when I was 3. 

I think we can then agree that when we were coming up...80's & 90's...she was largely under-appreciated and under-utilized until she got "The Sopranos."  

Started Season 6b in my 4th rewatch last week.  AJ is such a miserable mess at this point.  But I sure do love this show. 

Interesting side note.  After the Monopoly "Under the Boardwalk" fight (the next day) Tony is sitting on the dock by the boat looking at the water.  A bell (presumably on the boat somewhere) rings twice.  Each time it does, the perspective changes from third person on Tony to his point of view, and then back to 3P Tony.  Had not noticed that this early in Season 6 before.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

Started Season 6b in my 4th rewatch last week.  AJ is such a miserable mess at this point.  But I sure do love this show. 

Interesting side note.  After the Monopoly "Under the Boardwalk" fight (the next day) Tony is sitting on the dock by the boat looking at the water.  A bell (presumably on the boat somewhere) rings twice.  Each time it does, the perspective changes from third person on Tony to his point of view, and then back to 3P Tony.  Had not noticed that this early in Season 6 before.

Ok, going through my rewatch and saw this episode this morning.  Re. the fight, my man Tony was just about to take full control of things when Carmela jumped on his back.  Bobbie put a quick end to things after that.  Not sure why when Tony was fretting over the loss he was pissed about the throw rug but not that.

10 minutes ago, Wade said:

Not sure why when Tony was fretting over the loss he was pissed about the throw rug but not that.

Tony getting pissed about the wrong thing, ruminating on it, and, later, acting on that misdirected, negative emotion is a pretty common theme, if I'm honest.

All of that resulted in Tony's compelling Bobby to take the meeting with the Canadian musician in the laundry room later in the episode.

While Tony's instigating the fight was a direct response to Janice's happiness and her telling the story about his mom and the beehive hairdo, it also was in response to Bobby's getting upset about the modified Free Parking rule.

Edited by dcbc

1 minute ago, Wade said:

Might be my favorite Sopranos scene.  So, damn ominous, especially when the closing song drumbeats kick in.  Say what you want about Phil, but he was a badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD2hHGF81OU

Sorry for the lack of embed.  I can't figure this fucking site out

Somehow, I knew it was "Evidently Chickentown."  I posted that video upthread (possibly twice). :)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Somehow, I knew it was "Evidently Chickentown."  I posted that video upthread (possibly twice). :)

I remember watching that scene during first airing.  Blew me away then and still does.

Tony and Chris hugging each other with eyes wide open to close....amazing

22 hours ago, Wade said:

Might be my favorite Sopranos scene.  So, damn ominous, especially when the closing song drumbeats kick in.  Say what you want about Phil, but he was a badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD2hHGF81OU

Sorry for the lack of embed.  I can't figure this fucking site out

Frank Vincent is one of the greats. No ego. So I’m going to get beat to death by De Niro and Pasci, I’m good with that.... So some Italian guy named Walden is going to shoot me and then my head gets crushed by a SUV with my wife and grandkids inside. Cool, works for me. 

He reminds of DeVito on It’s Always Sunny. Do what you want, he’s just here to work. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Frank Vincent is one of the greats. No ego. So I’m going to get beat to death by De Niro and Pasci, I’m good with that.... So some Italian guy named Walden is going to shoot me and then my head gets crushed by a SUV with my wife and grandkids inside. Cool, works for me. 

He reminds of DeVito on It’s Always Sunny. Do what you want, he’s just here to work. 

There was a terrible Jennifer Aniston movie where he played her dad (and the dad of Amanda Peet).  Vincent was hilarious.

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

There was a terrible Jennifer Aniston movie where he played her dad (and the dad of Amanda Peet).  Vincent was hilarious.

Brothers McMullen? Or the 2nd one they came out with where the dad from Fraser was in it? Can’t think of the name but that was a really good movie 

9 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

I just want to bitch slap AJ in every scene in season 6 just for that shitty facial hair.

How bout when Carmela was watching him finally step up when tony was in the hospital after getting shot by uncle June. All you saw from her perspective was AJ talking to his dad like ok he’s finally getting it. Then they go into the room and he’s blowing his dads ear off about a BMW LMAO!!! Still say best scene with him in it is when tony drags him out of bed into the closet 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

AJ peaked in the pilot when he said "what no fucking ziti?" after Livia failed to show at his birthday party. That's how bad his character is.

That was an unfortunate casting decision. I'm sure I've posted it before, but on a podcast years ago, Bill Simmons made a great basketball analogy for season 6. Chase, as the point guard of the show, dished it to AJ way too much.

On 1/29/2021 at 11:22 AM, qwertyu1234 said:

AJ peaked in the pilot when he said "what no fucking ziti?" after Livia failed to show at his birthday party. That's how bad his character is.

Yeah, and he was even shitty in that.  Great scene, but everyone's reaction "OHHH...AYYY" including the priest, is what made that scene.

I did kinda like the scene that had AJ super glued to the carpet though.

6 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Most of the sons of the main characters sucked.
AJ, Jackie Jr, bobby jr, Vito jr, little carmine,
They all sucked.

You thought Little Carmine sucked? 

You're at the precipice, BigDHornfan, of an enormous crossroad.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2021 at 7:30 PM, Gil Bang said:

Vito Jr. was fine until his dad went gay.   

And shitting in the shower was a power move. 

He wasn't gay.  It was the medication he was on.  For his blood pressure.

It's shame he did not get a note from his doctor.  Because his cousin Phil, who loved him like a brother-in-law, would have spared him.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, dcbc said:

I thought this would be fairly obvious, but I don't want people to buy something unnecessarily.  Someone should set them straight.  Not me, though.

Fuckin' espresso, cappuccino. We invented this shit and all these other cocksuckers are gettin' rich off it.

These fucks had nothin'. They ate pootsie before we gave them the gift of our cuisine. But this, this is the worst. This espresso shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

When I pull a rewatch, I always start with season 2. Season one, except for the trip to Meadow's prospective college, just lays there for me.

The whole series takes off for me when Ritchie Apriel shows up.

Nah...the Sopranos is like sex and pizza, even the worst are still pretty good.  Even the shittiest episodes still have a little bit of gold in them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 1:43 PM, CurlyDumps said:

That was an unfortunate casting decision. I'm sure I've posted it before, but on a podcast years ago, Bill Simmons made a great basketball analogy for season 6. Chase, as the point guard of the show, dished it to AJ way too much.

Unfortunate is being kind.  By far the worst casting call on the series for any major or reoccurring character.

I could never buy him as Tony’s son.  Dude was a munchkin.

On 2/16/2021 at 9:35 AM, Landomatic said:

Nah...the Sopranos is like sex and pizza, even the worst are still pretty good.  Even the shittiest episodes still have a little bit of gold in them.

What about “A hits a hit?” That is a dog shit episode except for Christopher telling Visiting Day singer to “spike up” and then beating him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

What about “A hits a hit?” That is a dog shit episode except for Christopher telling Visiting Day singer to “spike up” and then beating him.

Perfect example.  That episode is mostly shit.  However...

Tony at the golf course with his neighbor, calling him "Cooz" the whole time and telling the bullshit story about knowing John Gotti.  Then taking him a box of sand to hold onto, just to fuck with him.

Several good to great lines in that episode.

Some gold.

• Hook 'Em 2