The Sopranos

wild_turkey

12 hours ago, jeevsie said:

Love how she had to casually mention her and Tony's past to Carmella.

God i loved that. Basically just "You know, i could have done what you did and had your life, but i'm not a massive POS and i actually have respect for myself". That was an all time scene there.

Just restarted this from episode one last night. I only ever got through like season 3 and that was on the original run, so I’m basically starting from scratch. 

It’s fun to watch now, knowing how groundbreaking it was and the influence it would have on all TV going forward. 

I've rewatched different seasons off and on but have yet to go from the first to the last ep again. This thread has inspired me to do so.

I agree some of the best parts of the characters is when they are trying to be something they aren't. Chris and his movie making dream, Carmella trying to be classy and complex are the first two that come to mind. 

Paulie relationship with his mother always cracked me up due to it being so genuine.

When Tony would be buying something high end not even knowing what it was just that he wanted the best.

Could go on and on

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, BHMCruiser said:

AJ's character represented Tony's failure as a father and a man. His whimpering and softness were an ever-present indictment of Tony. Strong men have strong sons. Tony had AJ. 

I don't know, elder Carmine was maybe the best boss on the show and his son - well, it's common knowledge the guy's retarded.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I'm trying to think of a made guy on the show that had a strong son.  I can't think of any except the flashbacks to Tony's own father molding him.  Jackie, Jr. had a glimmer of potential but he fucked it up.  Obviously, most of the children on the show were shaped by their time at the Milford Academy where children are neither seen nor heard.  But most of them, grown or still little, on the boys side---tended to be weak and whiny.  Never really thought of that, interesting take.  

36 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I'm trying to think of a made guy on the show that had a strong son.  I can't think of any except the flashbacks to Tony's own father molding him.  Jackie, Jr. had a glimmer of potential but he fucked it up.  Obviously, most of the children on the show were shaped by their time at the Milford Academy where children are neither seen nor heard.  But most of them, grown or still little, on the boys side---tended to be weak and whiny.  Never really thought of that, interesting take.  

I'd say Junior had as much hand in raising Tony as Johnny Boy. They were very close. 

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Carlo and Patsy had sons who were on the path to being associates, if not already considered as such via their sports betting kick ups

Edited by HornPhD

28 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

Carlo and Patsy had sons who were on the path to being associates, if not already considered as such via their sports betting kick ups

Jason got pinched for drug dealing at the end of the show. Tony was very concerned that Carlo had flipped to save his son. Both were missing at the time. 

It's implied that Patrick, Patsy's son, was in law school and on his way to becoming an attorney at the end of the show. I believe Tony was in the process of moving Patsy up because they were about to become in laws. 

Jason was possibly on his way to becoming an associate if he could stand up and take his time like a man. 

Patrick maybe on his way to becoming a mob attorney like Bill Bufalino. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jason got pinched for drug dealing at the end of the show. Tony was very concerned that Carlo had flipped to save his son. Both were missing at the time. 

It's implied that Patrick, Patsy's son, was in law school and on his way to becoming an attorney at the end of the show. I believe Tony was in the process of moving Patsy up because they were about to become in laws. 

Jason was possibly on his way to becoming an associate if he could stand up and take his time like a man. 

Patrick maybe on his way to becoming a mob attorney like Bill Bufalino. 

Patsy’s other son, the other Jason, was friends/partners with Carlo’s son

^^^^^^^^^^Patsy had two sons, the youngest also named Jason. "The two Jasons" were sorta friends with AJ, and were cutting their teeth on organized crime on the Rutgers student body via bookmaking, drug dealing, and aggravated assault. 

Edited by Player
What HornPhD said
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Player said:

^^^^^^^^^^Patsy had two sons, the youngest also named Jason. "The two Jasons" were sorta friends with AJ, and were cutting their teeth on organized crime on the Rutgers student body via bookmaking, drug dealing, and aggravated assault. 

Burned some kids toes off with battery acid. Yikes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/22/2021 at 9:48 AM, Lobo said:

To be fair, the adults in the Soprano crime family were all more or less heavily flawed in different ways outside of maybe Sal. Tony was one of the smarter and more grounded members of the family and he basically destroyed the family by the end of the show through his impulsiveness and poor leadership.  No perfect people on the Sopranos.  

I had no idea this happened. "Reunion" for a fundraiser back in December 2020. Chase shows up around 50 minutes in.

What are the characters from “The Sopranos” up to in 2020?

A.J. trades cryptocurrency.

Meadow is a criminal defense lawyer (but her mother, Carmela, still hopes she’ll enroll in medical school).

Christopher spends hours online talking about “Q,” the “deep state” and Jeffrey Epstein on 4chan.

Bobby Bacala is working on his model train track, which annoys Janice greatly.

Tony Blundetto is using his healing powers as a reiki master to help soothe clients during the pandemic.

How do we know this? After all, several of these characters died in the show.

All were resurrected for “Bada Bing, Bada Zoom,” a new sketch that was a highlight of the

“Sopranos” virtual reunion fundraiser Friday night. The remote gathering of the “Sopranos” cast, conducted over Zoom, benefitted Friends of Firefighters, a group formed in the wake of 9/11 to support working and retired firefighters in New York.

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2020/12/sopranos-reunion-recap-new-bada-bing-bada-zoom-scenes-for-2020-kevin-smith-and-the-russian.html

Janice got skinny.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, msbesq said:

The podcast with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa is fantastic and this week their guest was Steven Van Zandt who talked about his career, Bruce and the show.

Have they had that animal, Blundetto on yet?  I can't even say his name.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, msbesq said:

The podcast with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa is fantastic and this week their guest was Steven Van Zandt who talked about his career, Bruce and the show.

Probably my favorite interview they've done, aside from the 2 hours with David Chase.

I'm gonna guess they're saving Sirico for last. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Have they had that animal, Blundetto on yet?  I can't even say his name.

Phil, Phil. Please

*moment of silence*
I’m sorry, I forgot what we were talking about...

Me too. The fuck was it!?!?

Oh! Carmela...

Phil was my favorite Sopranos villain. I'm probably a bit biased because I love Frank Vincent in everything. It was also fascinating to see what the full might of the Lupertazzi Family looks like. Their size and strength was alluded to, but you spend the whole series wondering why a tough guy Tony, surrounded by other tough guys would be scared of Fish Lips Carmine, functional regard Little Carmine, Johnny Sack, and Phil. Then you see Phil's hit crew light up Gerry "The Hairdo" and Doc Santoro, and you're like oh shit, Phil can get to anyone. 

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Phil was my favorite Sopranos villain. I'm probably a bit biased because I love Frank Vincent in everything. It was also fascinating to see what the full might of the Lupertazzi Family looks like. Their size and strength was alluded to, but you spend the whole series wondering why a tough guy Tony, surrounded by other tough guys would be scared of Fish Lips Carmine, functional regard Little Carmine, Johnny Sack, and Phil. Then you see Phil's hit crew light up Gerry "The Hairdo" and Doc Santoro, and you're like oh shit, Phil can get to anyone. 

Phil's wife was the worst character on the show.  The way she always talked about "father" was terribly annoying. However, when she was bitching at Phil about clams, I loved that he just interrupted with "I gotta try to take a shit."

4 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Phil's wife was the worst character on the show.  The way she always talked about "father" was terribly annoying. However, when she was bitching at Phil about clams, I loved that he just interrupted with "I gotta try to take a shit."

Yep. She nagged Phil into beating Vito to death. A member of her own family. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

The scene where he is Marie Spatafore's house after Vito's death and there is some male bodybuilder competition on the TV -- "turn that OFF!"

Cracks me up.

• Haha 2

Guest Lobo
4 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Makes me think that Phil had a lot of sex in prison.  Way to homophobic.

What?  There were no women up there...what do you expect?!?!?!?

56 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

"I know Vito's bottom was "impacted" if that's what you're referring to"

The turd doesn’t fall far from the faggots ass

Beautifully put 

Edited by Fletch
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2021 at 8:38 AM, msbesq said:

for those who care, Michael Imperioli is a HUGE fan of My Bloody Valentine and shoegaze.

https://music.avclub.com/my-bloody-valentine-and-michael-imperioli-are-teasing-s-1846575850

https://thequietus.com/articles/28701-michael-imperioli-interview-favourite-music-the-sopranos?page=14

It’s an honor to be surrounded by men. AND NOT COCKSUCKING FUCKING FACGOTS THAT MARRIED MY SISTER. He’s a fuckin disgrace
The hilarious thing that seems to slip through the cracks because it is a one-off line is when Tony asks Vito's widow why Phil won't pitch in, she reveals that Phil is actually her second cousin or some other distant relation. Phil just wanted an excuse for violence.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti is one of my favorite episodes. 

- Paulie talking about getting his joint copped. 

- Chris' regarded writing 

- Tony hiding guns and cash at his mother's "retirement community" 

- Melfi's nutty husband complaining about Italian American discrimination 

- Livia asking Larry Boy if he's still seeing his other women at his daughter's wedding 

- Chris going reverse Spider 

- Meadow's LCN lesson

- Livia tells Junior that Tony is seeing a psychiatrist (very, very serious infraction. Michael Franzese has said this is automatic death sentence) 

- Those were some tough Jews.  

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti is one of my favorite episodes. 

- Paulie talking about getting his joint copped. 

- Chris' regarded writing 

- Tony hiding guns and cash at his mother's "retirement community" 

- Melfi's nutty husband complaining about Italian American discrimination 

- Livia asking Larry Boy if he's still seeing his other women at his daughter's wedding 

- Chris going reverse Spider 

- Meadow's LCN lesson

- Livia tells Junior that Tony is seeing a psychiatrist (very, very serious infraction. Michael Franzese has said this is automatic death sentence) 

- Those were some tough Jews.  

You ever feel like nothing good is ever gonna happen to you?

Yeah. And nothin did. So what? I’m alive. I’m surviving