The Sopranos

wild_turkey

Finished S1. Enjoyable but pretty dated. Based on just the first season, it is far below The Wire and Breaking Bad. I assume it gets much better.

Did think it was funny that when the shrink goes to unlock her office door to let him in after their confrontation, the shoddy set door had swung open and she has to close it before she unlocks it. How does that not get caught in editing?

I agree that the way they shot it as “edgy” in S1 looks dated.  I’ve thought that every time I’ve rewatch it (4). 

It normalizes though and just becomes the best damn show. 

Edited by Elvis

On 7/24/2021 at 11:19 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

In the middle of season 2 of my rewatch and noticed "Wheel in the Sky" was played a couple of times in this episode. I think that's the only time a Journey song was used in the show. 

I've posted this before, but re Journey and the finale:

When he punches up "Don't Stop Believin'" on the little jukebox, the B-side is "Any Way You Want It."

That is inaccurate. Though it happens fairly often by mistake, bands did not try to put two hits on one single, for obvious reasons.

The real B-side to  "Don't Stop Believin'" was something you've probably never heard unless you are a Journey superfan -- a song called "Natural Thing."

You have to think an extremely-detailed guy like Chase would not get that wrong by mistake, so I believe "Any Way You Want It" tells us what exactly happened to Tony. If you wanted him to die, he died; if you wanted him to live, he lived. In addition to his attention to detail, Chase is also a big fan of ambiguity, to the point where he would end a shows like this in exactly that way.

I do know he was not a fan of those fans who wanted to see Tony whacked in front of his family. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I've posted this before, but re Journey and the finale:

When he punches up "Don't Stop Believin'" on the little jukebox, the B-side is "Any Way You Want It."

That is inaccurate. Though it happens fairly often by mistake, bands did not try to put two hits on one single, for obvious reasons.

The real B-side to  "Don't Stop Believin'" was something you've probably never heard unless you are a Journey superfan -- a song called "Natural Thing."

You have to think an extremely-detailed guy like Chase would not get that wrong by mistake, so I believe "Any Way You Want It" tells us what exactly happened to Tony. If you wanted him to die, he died; if you wanted him to live, he lived. In addition to his attention to detail, Chase is also a big fan of ambiguity, to the point where he would end a shows like this in exactly that way.

I do know he was not a fan of those fans who wanted to see Tony whacked in front of his family. 

Spot on. Listen to the Talking Sopranos pod and it'll back that up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Finished S1. Enjoyable but pretty dated. Based on just the first season, it is far below The Wire and Breaking Bad. I assume it gets much better.

Did think it was funny that when the shrink goes to unlock her office door to let him in after their confrontation, the shoddy set door had swung open and she has to close it before she unlocks it. How does that not get caught in editing?

Breaking Bad is a roller coaster. The Sopranos is a dark, humorous  character study. Season 1 of The Sopranos is solid. It takes off in season 2 and outside of a few odd storylines (Furio becoming a romantic that wants to plow Carm. Bit too much AJ in the last couple seasons) it’s pretty fucking perfect. Every episode kicks ass and the characters are fucking gold 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Breaking Bad is a roller coaster. The Sopranos is a dark, humorous  character study. Season 1 of The Sopranos is solid. It takes off in season 2 and outside of a few odd storylines (Furio becoming a romantic that wants to plow Carm. Bit too much AJ in the last couple seasons) it’s pretty fucking perfect. Every episode kicks ass and the characters are fucking gold 

Every episode except "A Hits a Hit" and "In Camelot."  Trash.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Every episode except "A Hits a Hit" and "In Camelot."  Trash.

Watching Chrissy beat the fuck out of the musicians was hilarious. And the “peeps” funeral was gold. Even the “bad” episodes have their moments 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

"Can you believe there is a dog groomer there in case somebody needs a snack?"

Little Tony was an odd character. But fuck Jackie jr, though he wasn’t the best actor or whatever, created some damn good story lines for Tony and meadow in season 3. One of the best episodes IMO is season 3 ep 1. Watching the feds try to get into T’s place while it shows parts of T and his boys shooting the shit is glorious. 

Midway through season five ... Tony's illogical loyalty to Christopher is his largest strategic mistake. The mob is akin to dynastic monarchies where blood is placed above talent. Christopher is among the worst soldiers in the family. Tony should have ignored Tony and capped his ass after the Adriana debacle - of course he should have never let him rise so fast to the anger of particularly Paulie and the other capos. He has not a single redeeming quality.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Midway through season five ... Tony's illogical loyalty to Christopher is his largest strategic mistake. The mob is akin to dynastic monarchies where blood is placed above talent. Christopher is among the worst soldiers in the family. Tony should have ignored Tony and capped his ass after the Adriana debacle - of course he should have never let him rise so fast to the anger of particularly Paulie and the other capos. He has not a single redeeming quality.

Tony continually stressed family over competence, which was one of his bigger mistakes, and one of the bigger differences between Tony and Johnny Sack (almost always composed, rationale, un-toxic, etc.)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, strangulation! said:

Tony continually stressed family over competence, which was one of his bigger mistakes, and one of the bigger differences between Tony and Johnny Sack (almost always composed, rationale, un-toxic, etc.)

Until someone makes a joke about his wife's weight.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Until someone makes a joke about his wife's weight.

I don't know. As boss you have to expect some level of respect. Johny definitely was more measured and rationale, but he also got the additional earned respect from his gray hair. Tony clearly is self-conscious about being so young and overreacts at every tiny slight real or perceived. Him losing his mind over Uncle Jun's varsity athlete comments is a great example. He did not connect that you earn respect do not demand it.

I'm sure it's been done, but it would be fun to get a management consultant's evaluation of Tony's leadership. It is so typical that the more an organization preaches its values the less they adhere to them. I mean those guys talk about loyalty and honor and "this thing of ours" but those guys have zero loyalty or honor to anyone be the dollar. It's not like they're criminals or anything.

1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I don't know. As boss you have to expect some level of respect. Johny definitely was more measured and rationale, but he also got the additional earned respect from his gray hair. Tony clearly is self-conscious about being so young and overreacts at every tiny slight real or perceived. Him losing his mind over Uncle Jun's varsity athlete comments is a great example. He did not connect that you earn respect do not demand it.

A don doesn’t wear shorts

• Hook 'Em 2

Rusty was quite pragmatic overall, and had an old school element to him as well that blended well with his embrace of the modern day "earning" model. 

He didn't work his way up to capo by being intimidating or an enforcing soldier, you can see that.  Tony obviously had no regard for him.  

I watched  this show for the first time during the pandemic last year, and my favorite character by far was Anthony Junior. That dude was absolutely hilarious. I was really disappointed that they didn't do a spin-off show with him as the head of the mob family after Tony passed on.  It would have been amazing to see his dumbass running the show. 

19 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I watched  this show for the first time during the pandemic last year, and my favorite character by far was Anthony Junior. That dude was absolutely hilarious. I was really disappointed that they didn't do a spin-off show with him as the head of the mob family after Tony passed on.  It would have been amazing to see his dumbass running the show. 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/1153-unpopular-opinions-thread/

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

While your vision did not come to fruition, you'll be pleased to know that another incompetent, organized crime TV star from the tristate area rose to a position of prominence as leader of the free world.  If we're lucky, he'll get his fat fucking head run over at a fucking gas station like Phil Leotardo.  They're all incompetent pieces of shit, David Chase tried to scream that out to us every single goddamn week but we never listened.  It was his commentary on the whole Costa Nostra.  Except Silvio.  I think Mr. Dante actually had a clue or two under that glorious coiffure 

Furio was the best henchman/capo or whatever Tony had during the show. That one episode where the guy won't pay back Tony's friend, and Furio shows up at his apartment to end the show, that was awesome. Really loved his character, style and no nonsense way of dealing with shit. I was hoping he would start banging Carm, cause God knows she deserved some competent cock. Furio banging her right under Tony's nose would have been an amazing story line. The tension and close calls they could have had would have been great. I would have enjoyed that so much more than the cock tease priest, or that weird guy that ran the restaurant, or most of Meadow's dumb bullshit storylines.

I would have been happy with a Furio spinoff as well. He comes back to NY and takes over. Kicks all these fat lazy scrubs to the curb and brings in his own guys from Italy who know how to get shit done.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:30 PM, Dutchrudder said:

Furio was the best henchman/capo or whatever Tony had during the show. That one episode where the guy won't pay back Tony's friend, and Furio shows up at his apartment to end the show, that was awesome. Really loved his character, style and no nonsense way of dealing with shit. I was hoping he would start banging Carm, cause God knows she deserved some competent cock. Furio banging her right under Tony's nose would have been an amazing story line. The tension and close calls they could have had would have been great. I would have enjoyed that so much more than the cock tease priest, or that weird guy that ran the restaurant, or most of Meadow's dumb bullshit storylines.

I would have been happy with a Furio spinoff as well. He comes back to NY and takes over. Kicks all these fat lazy scrubs to the curb and brings in his own guys from Italy who know how to get shit done.

Meadow's story lines would've been much better, if Meadow had gotten nekkid in them.  But, alas, nope. 

I found Meadow to be a great character in terms of what other characters felt about her.  She had Tony's brains with almost none of his baggage.  Could have been a worthy heir to his throne had she been born a boy (I'm going out on a limb and assume that La Cosa Nostra, despite their enlightened progressiveness on so many other social issues of the day, adheres to cisgender roles.  He admires her independence and dedication, but she's still his little girl and he wants to direct her life as he does everyone else's.  Their most complex dynamic was when she started dating Jackie Junior.  Tony was truly torn on that.  It was he always preached about keeping it within the larger "family" with people you know and trust, from good stock.  Then again, he never really wanted that life for his children because Meadow was a girl who would become a lawyer or doctor and A.J. could fuck up a drumstick.  In the end, she ends up with the son of a made guy but neither is directly involved in the lifestyle.  I think that gives Tony peace that she has the best of both worlds.  He knows the boy and knows they're heading for a great life together on the straight and narrow.  

She is making her own way in the world of education and work, making her mother wonder "what if" about her own life.  Meadow almost always has a boyfriend but she is always the dominant figure in the relationship, again at her mother's envy.  Meadow has an active social and philanthropic life in upper-tier circles, whereas her mother gets her friends from whomever happens to be marrying/dating her husband's work associates.

Meadow really holds up an interesting mirror to her parents in very different ways.  My favorite Meadow storyline though is when she tells Mom and Dad about her incident in Little Italy.  She's all growns up, but Tony looks across the breakfast table and sees that moment of fear and vulnerability in the eyes of the strongest woman he's ever known.  And he doesn't act out as a Boss saving face.  He acts out as a Dad, curb stomps the first guy and almost murders the other little guy.  

Plus she was smoking hot.  I ran into her getting takeout in Bee Cave the other day, she is aging extraordinarily well.  Texas sun been better to her than Jersey.

On 7/30/2021 at 4:33 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Drea de Matteo was/is smoking hot in a trashy Jersey way.  Perfect casting.  Just looked her up.  She'll be 50 next year.  Damn.  Also didn't know she had kids with Shooter Jennings.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:26 PM, Gil Bang said:

No shit?

She also has an ac/dc tattoo right above her birth canal