The Sopranos

wild_turkey

46 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Sorry guys. It was a good series, I will give it that. But top 5 or 10 all time? Not even close. Only if that particular genre is in your wheelhouse. AND you enjoy/allow the rehashing of the Italian Hollywood stereotype that has been beat to death since The Godfather came out was it anything but pretty good.

Now, Big G was the real deal. And we lost a fine actor when he passed. But as far as I’m concerned. It was him, and no one else that gave the show life.

Sorry guys. It was a good series, I will give it that. But top 5 or 10 all time? Not even close. Only if that particular genre is in your wheelhouse. AND you enjoy/allow the rehashing of the Italian Hollywood stereotype that has been beat to death since The Godfather came out was it anything but pretty good.
Now, Big G was the real deal. And we lost a fine actor when he passed. But as far as I’m concerned. It was him, and no one else that gave the show life.

0036e289bf05ea758756b7c3354bba86.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Hamttx said:

This take is the worst take of all takes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I rewatched it for the third time about a year ago and thought it was better than the two previous viewings. I thought it was groundbreaking in format giving us just enough action/killing/etc to get the pulse up, but was way more about character development and a deep dive into Tony’s life.  It was the format that many other great shows have followed since, breaking bad, justified, Bosch, etc.  I get it was a bit stereotypical of Italian organized crime. I get that some find that genre boring. I am not one of those people. I find it fascinating.  

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

I rewatched it for the third time about a year ago and thought it was better than the two previous viewings. I thought it was groundbreaking in format giving us just enough action/killing/etc to get the pulse up, but was way more about character development and a deep dive into Tony’s life.  It was the format that many other great shows have followed since, breaking bad, justified, Bosch, etc.  I get it was a bit stereotypical of Italian organized crime. I get that some find that genre boring. I am not one of those people. I find it fascinating.  

IMO the character/development were what drove the show past others in its realm (BB). Everybody in Tony's family had a fully fleshed out character and was genuinely interesting (even if AJ was a dickhead), then you can branch out to Uncle Jr., Tony's mom, Tony's sister, and they all have fleshed out characters, and that's before you even get into the Soprano crime "family"...

Watching for the 2nd time, I think I'm in S3, Janice just did in Richie Aprile, I haven't seen it in a while, completely forgot that's how he died. Crazy, but also unfulfilling, really wanted to see worse for him.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:02 PM, Hamttx said:

Image result for tony soprano gif

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Enjoying the marathon.

S1E5 is on HBO2W right now and there's an interesting exchange between Tony and Meadow, considering how the series ends:

T: Jesus, right under my nose. Think, you'd know.

M: No, Dad (looking down). You won't (looking directly at her Dad).

Edited by HornPhD
Added spoiler, just in case

One favorite memory of the series is sleepy-eyed Tony in his robe one morning (in a rare good mood) cigar in hand descending the stairs, singing a few lines from "Comfortably Numb."  Gotta love that shit.  I also loved the intro and the funky Sopranos theme, "I woke up this MOWnin an I GOT MYseaf ah GUH-hun."  OP, you, sir are in for a real fine journey.  I'm already nostalgic for some of the running scenes.  Today we'd never see Tony walking out to get the paper and wave at the Feds.  A surveillance subject might wave at the Feds but no one reads "the paper" any more.

I had never watched any of the Sopranos.  When I saw that one of the HBO channels was running a marathon, I decided to give it a try.  I went to HBO on demand and started from S1E1.  I've watched 6 episodes so far.  I like Gandolfini a lot and the series is pretty good, but it just hasn't grabbed me by the nuts yet.  I'll keep on going through season one and see if it gets any better for me.

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I had never watched any of the Sopranos.  When I saw that one of the HBO channels was running a marathon, I decided to give it a try.  I went to HBO on demand and started from S1E1.  I've watched 6 episodes so far.  I like Gandolfini a lot and the series is pretty good, but it just hasn't grabbed me by the nuts yet.  I'll keep on going through season one and see if it gets any better for me.

I would definitely try passed Season 1. Like most shows, it kinds of its footing more in season 2 & 3.

Season 1 was a lot more centered on Tony's relationship with his mom and Dr Melfi. It moves away from that more as the seasons go on, More focus more on the mafia family business & relationships

Paulie's hair. It doesn't get any better. 

Also, him fishing the painting out of the garbage and having Tony painted into it...so funny. 

And the whole storyline with him going to the psychic after Chrissy has the near death  experience.

Edited by Deej

18 hours ago, Deej said:

Paulie's hair. It doesn't get any better. 

Also, him fishing the painting out of the garbage and having Tony painted into it...so funny. 

And the whole storyline with him going to the psychic after Chrissy has the near death  experience.

Tony was already on the painting. He had him painted to resemble a Napoleon type character. 

31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I forgot how much I hated Phil Leotardo. 

Love when he gets all butthurt telling his cronies that Tony or someone told him he looks like the Shah of Iran.  Fucking lawlz. Do we actually see someone say that?  I can’t remember.

also saw one of my favorite Tony rants last night.  When he’s in therapy going off on AJ, based on a scene we see earlier. “Sittin’ at the computer in his underwear, in some little chit-chat room, with some other jerkoff, giggling like a little schoolgirl.”  

“Chit chat room.” Lol.  The whole rant is hilarious.  

Edited by CurlyDumps

2 hours ago, Angry Gorilla said:

It's a fun theory, but I'm not seeing any evidence at all to support it. Whereas there is a lot of compelling evidence to support the theory that Tony dies.

Citing scenes of gratuitous violence with curious onlookers is evidence of social commentary baked into the scene. But beyond that? Citing it as evidence of foreshadowing an "audience whacking" is a disparate idea.  If anything, it's setting us up for a reversal of expectations, in that we want to see the big bad get his brains splattered all over the table - we want violent closure -  but get the opposite. 

Last night I was watching the episode in which  "Cleaver"  premieres. I noticed that  the writers make a point to show us the ending.  We see a classic violent ending in which Tony's fictional doppelganger gets his head split open.  We get to see a version of Tony meet his gory end.  Maybe that was the writers' cheeky way of giving us the glorified Hollywood ending we wanted, without really giving it to us.  And/or maybe the "Cleaver" death scene serves as a direct contrast to the grim, existential death scene that was in store for us. 

Quinn also says the final scene "alternates between Tony and the audience's POV" but gives no evidence for this alleged audience POV.  I also  disagree  that the scene is "full of red herrings."  Take Meadow's parallel parking struggle, for example. It seems pretty clear to me that the scene goes to painstaking detail to set up what Meadow witnesses  as she enters Holsten's - Tony taking one to his right temple by Man in Members Only Jacket.

Chase has definitely left clues in interviews he's done since the finale, and this new interview might be the biggest.  It's an interview between Sepinwall and Chase for a new Sopranos book.

https://news.avclub.com/david-chase-originally-had-a-death-scene-in-mind-for-1831583889

Sepinwall: But you said you didn’t try to plan too far ahead. When you said there was an endpoint, you don’t mean Tony at Holsten’s, you just meant, “I think I have two more years’ worth of stories in me.”

Chase: Yes. I think I had that death scene around two years before the end. I remember talking with [writer and executive producer] Mitch Burgess about it, but it wasn’t—it was slightly different. Tony was going to get called to a meeting with Johnny Sack in Manhattan, and he was going to go back through the Lincoln Tunnel for this meeting, and it was going to go black there and you never saw him again as he was heading back, the theory being that something bad happens to him at the meeting. But we didn’t do that.

Seitz: You realize, of course, that you just referred to that as a death scene.

[A long pause follows.]

Chase: Fuck you guys.

[Seitz and Sepinwall explode with laughter. After a moment, Chase joins in for a good 30 seconds.]

Chase: But I changed my mind over time. ***I didn’t want to do a straight death scene.*** I didn’t want you to feel like, “Oh, he’s meeting with Johnny Sack and he’s going to get killed.” That’s the truth of it.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Like 1