The Sopranos

wild_turkey

12 hours ago, Fletch said:

Went through another rewatch recently. I always lose my shit when Phil and Tony talk about Vito’s kid

”The turd doesn’t fall far from the faggots ass”

“Beautifully put....”

A lot of greatness in those episodes.

“Let’s take this in the back.”

”That’s what Vito said.”

1 hour ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Got it.  
“Poor goil, when I broke it off she tried to kill herself, Carm.”

She is the best by far.  Gloria sucked. Ralph’s old girlfriend sucked.  

Tony should have bedded Martina the hostess.  She was hot.

Didn't Vito have a hot black chick that he never fucked?

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Also + rep to all of you who realize Oksana is the best gumar

Meh fuck that. She was always a fucking headache. Valentina la Paz was. She wasn't needy, knew her place and would, as she put it--"suck your dick and fuck you like no one else could."

If the skin and hair really was supposed to come back, don't get why Tony passed if he was still going to fuck around on carmela. 

First time around watching this series, I really didn't get Junior's character.  Couldn't understand half of what he said and didn't get his relationship with Tony.  Second time around watching this and he's my favorite character.  Guy is fucking awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Wade said:

First time around watching this series, I really didn't get Junior's character.  Couldn't understand half of what he said and didn't get his relationship with Tony.  Second time around watching this and he's my favorite character.  Guy is fucking awesome.

You've got to understand...Tony never had the makings of a varsity athlete. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wade said:

His one liners are a cut above.

In response to  Mikey Palmice wanting to kill Chris and Brendan Filone: "Take it easy! We're not making a western here."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wade said:

I grew up with guys like uncle June. They are the best always giving your random shit like a surf board for your birthday. Like dude I get it was $799.99 but where do you surf in michigan?? Lol

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

His one liners are a cut above.

In response to  Mikey Palmice wanting to kill Chris and Brendan Filone: "Take it easy! We're not making a western here."

“Corrado, why don’t you make a hand turkey!?!”

”For Christmas? Fuckin idiot...”

• Haha 1

At the part where Tony kills Chrissy. Thoroughly convinced Tony acted on impulse and justified it with all the issues he was having. Of course, the carseat just hadddd to be demolished for dramatic affect and to further justify Tony's and the audience's view that Chrissy was better off dead. 

Just bs to me... I mean, Tony got in the wreck with Adriana, going to get coke, after having already done it together not too long before that. Just kinda pisses me off because you need people like Chrissy around, regardless if you're a Tony Soprano or not. Guys like that stay loyal when you show them loyalty. Tony just took the (ironically) easier path. 

13 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

At the part where Tony kills Chrissy. Thoroughly convinced Tony acted on impulse and justified it with all the issues he was having. Of course, the carseat just hadddd to be demolished for dramatic affect and to further justify Tony's and the audience's view that Chrissy was better off dead. 

Just bs to me... I mean, Tony got in the wreck with Adriana, going to get coke, after having already done it together not too long before that. Just kinda pisses me off because you need people like Chrissy around, regardless if you're a Tony Soprano or not. Guys like that stay loyal when you show them loyalty. Tony just took the (ironically) easier path. 

It's almost as if Tony is a fucking scumbag, huh?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'll start by saying that Tony loved Chris at some point. Chris loved Tony at some point. But they were always frustrated with each other. 

Let's not forget Chris was a long time addict. Tony gave him dozens of chances he didn't deserve. Tony basically made Chris street boss while he was high on heroin. 

Chris also threated to flip and go write screen plays at the end of Season 1. Tony expressed deep concerns about Chris having withdrawls while in police custody and flipping for a bag of H. When Tony sent Chris to rehab, he made it abundantly clear that this was his very last chance. 

After the accident, Chris tells Tony he's using again. I mean what is Tony supposed to do? It wouldn't have made sense to take Chris to the hospital, wait months for him to be released, and then have Silvo put 5 bullets in his head. 

It's well documented that Tony is a sociopath. To not kill Chris in that moment would be suspect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

It's almost as if Tony is a fucking scumbag, huh?

Obviously. 

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'll start by saying that Tony loved Chris at some point. Chris loved Tony at some point. But they were always frustrated with each other. 

Let's not forget Chris was a long time addict. Tony gave him dozens of chances he didn't deserve. Tony basically made Chris street boss while he was high on heroin. 

Chris also threated to flip and go write screen plays at the end of Season 1. Tony expressed deep concerns about Chris having withdrawls while in police custody and flipping for a bag of H. When Tony sent Chris to rehab, he made it abundantly clear that this was his very last chance. 

After the accident, Chris tells Tony he's using again. I mean what is Tony supposed to do? It wouldn't have made sense to take Chris to the hospital, wait months for him to be released, and then have Silvo put 5 bullets in his head. 

It's well documented that Tony is a sociopath. To not kill Chris in that moment would be suspect. 

I think you're misrepresenting Chris' love for Tony and underestimating the loyalty aspect Chris is constantly questioning. 

It took longer than it should've for him to be made. He was already doing things a made man would and when you factor in his dad, and his relationship with Tony, I could see why patience would be hard to come by. 

As far as the heroin and alcoholism, let's face it, everyone around him wasn't very supportive and at times, harmful to his recovery after rehab. 

And so what about the revelation at the accident? If you're saying it would've been inconsistent for Tony to have not done what he did, then I'd agree. Otherwise, all Chris said was that he wouldn't pass a drug test and could lose his license. Just in the previous episode, Chris got too drunk at a party with everyone while Pauly was fucking with him. So it was obvious he was already dipping in and out of sobriety. Tony just couldn't find a role or way for Chris to be in the mob as a recovering addict/alcoholic and that spelled the end for Chris, imo. 

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Obviously. 

I think you're misrepresenting Chris' love for Tony and underestimating the loyalty aspect Chris is constantly questioning. 

It took longer than it should've for him to be made. He was already doing things a made man would and when you factor in his dad, and his relationship with Tony, I could see why patience would be hard to come by. 

As far as the heroin and alcoholism, let's face it, everyone around him wasn't very supportive and at times, harmful to his recovery after rehab. 

And so what about the revelation at the accident? If you're saying it would've been inconsistent for Tony to have not done what he did, then I'd agree. Otherwise, all Chris said was that he wouldn't pass a drug test and could lose his license. Just in the previous episode, Chris got too drunk at a party with everyone while Pauly was fucking with him. So it was obvious he was already dipping in and out of sobriety. Tony just couldn't find a role or way for Chris to be in the mob as a recovering addict/alcoholic and that spelled the end for Chris, imo. 

I think we're in alignment here. 

As a big Cara Buono fan, I felt sorry for Chris' widow Kelli and their daughter. She seemed like a good woman and she was of course gorgeous. I always hoped that Chris would get clean for his family. 

I think the The Rise of Bacala was also a factor in doing Chris in. Tony didn't need Chris anymore at the end of the show. Bobby was competent and reliable, Chris was neither. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This thread inspired me to pull up a random episode on the HBO app.

So Tony, Paulie, and Chris-to-phuh go to Italy to cut a deal on the carjacked cars.   They meet the "Don" and he's a senile old guy in a wheelchair.  Tony took his clubs, because he expected to golf with the guy. 

After they meet him, Paulie says "Tone, you give this guy a golf club, he'll probably try to fuck it". 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

This thread inspired me to pull up a random episode on the HBO app.

So Tony, Paulie, and Chris-to-phuh go to Italy to cut a deal on the carjacked cars.   They meet the "Don" and he's a senile old guy in a wheelchair.  Tony took his clubs, because he expected to golf with the guy. 

After they meet him, Paulie says "Tone, you give this guy a golf club, he'll probably try to fuck it". 

Wheelchair aboolabard

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2020 at 2:19 PM, BigHorn'13 said:

That car seat was just what he needed to use an excuse.  He didn't give a damn.

On 12/14/2020 at 1:48 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

It's well documented that Tony is a sociopath.

Don't know why this annoys me so much, but the fact is that it's well documented many times that he is no such thing.  Some of the characters, particularly Melfi's shrink, toss out this diagnosis in reference to him, but there are many, many instances during the series in which he demonstrates genuine empathy and genuine remorse, which are antithetical to a sociopath.  He also displays genuine love/attachment not only to his family but to animals, as well.  He's sensitive, and he experiences tremendous anxiety, which is counter to the fearless nature of a sociopath.

He has plenty of narcissistic personality traits, but he's definitely not psycho/sociopathic.  He's just an insecure, depressed, deeply flawed guy.

One of the themes that plays out through the series run is that of missed (or rather, rejected) opportunities for him to confront reality and make a change for the better, particularly after getting shot by Junior (the Kevin Finnerty dream in which his subconscious is screaming at him that he's not the ordinary, average, hardworking business man he tells himself he is, but the dishonest criminal that society and his conscience are telling him he is).

That kind of dilemma is irrelevant for a sociopath, who's incapable of such guilt/conflict in the first place.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 2

Don't know why this annoys me so much, but the fact is that it's well documented many times that he is no such thing.  Some of the characters, particularly Melfi's shrink, toss out this diagnosis in reference to him, but there are many, many instances during the series in which he demonstrates genuine empathy and genuine remorse, which are antithetical to a sociopath.  He also displays genuine love/attachment not only to his family but to animals, as well.  He's sensitive, and he experiences tremendous anxiety, which is counter to the fearless nature of a sociopath.
He has plenty of narcissistic personality traits, but he's definitely not psycho/sociopathic.  He's just an insecure, depressed, deeply flawed guy.
One of the themes that plays out through the series run is that of missed (or rather, rejected) opportunities for him to confront reality and make a change for the better, particularly after getting shot by Junior (the Kevin Finnerty dream in which his subconscious is screaming at him that he's not the ordinary, average, hardworking business man he tells himself he is, but the dishonest criminal that society and his conscience are telling him he is).
That kind of dilemma is irrelevant for a sociopath, who's incapable of such guilt/conflict in the first place.

On 12/13/2020 at 12:57 AM, Fletch said:

Went through another rewatch recently. I always lose my shit when Phil and Tony talk about Vito’s kid

”The turd doesn’t fall far from the faggots ass”

“Beautifully put....”

He looks like a Puerto Rican whoooer.  Makes me sick.

Phil did love Vito like a brother-in-law.

Junior was a great character.  Some of the funniest things I have only caught on re-watch.  Like when he was having to mediate a sitdown with Tony, Johnny Sack, Carmine and Ralphie over the Jenny Sack joke.  Junior was under house arrest and could only participate by phone.  He still put on his best suit and tie for the call.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Junior was a great character.  Some of the funniest things I have only caught on re-watch.  Like when he was having to mediate a sitdown with Tony, Johnny Sack, Carmine and Ralphie over the Jenny Sack joke.  Junior was under house arrest and could only participate by phone.  He still put on his best suit and tie for the call.

I've heard he was the writer's favorite because he had no filter.